PDA

View Full Version : Best blocked shot in NBA history?

tlongII
06-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I nominate Amare Stoudemire's rejection of Tim Duncan's dunk attempt as the best blocked shot in NBA history. Here's why:

--The Suns were down 0-3 and fighting for their lives
--The Spurs were mounting a comeback in the closing seconds of the game
--Duncan is a former MVP and a nearly unstoppable offensive force
--The angle and force of the dunk made it an extremely difficult block
--The play by Stoudemire was beautifully and perfectly timed
--The block may have won the game for Phoenix

Duncan was already in the air and bringing the ball down toward the rim when Stoudemire came out of nowhere, rising like a Phoenix (sorry), and somehow got his hand on the ball, twirling it out of Duncan's hand. In the slow motion replay, you could see that the force of the shot had bent Stoudemire's hand back at the wrist, but he was still able to deflect the shot and force Duncan to smack the rim and leave it rattling.

Nobody was more suprised than Tim Duncan.

It was a "mano y mano" play, and Stoudemire won the day.

CosmicCowboy
06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I gotta agree it was an awesome block. Unfortunately the local TV idiots were still talking about goaltending last night...do we even watch the same games?

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 01:31 PM
The block did win the game for Phoenix. I agree, top 3-5 block in history. The two handed facial by Duncan in game two was pretty damn good as well though. I think a block of an Amare dunk/lay up is a much more difficult task than the block of a Tim Duncan dunk. I love my MVP but the man has no hops and never throws it down with two like good ol Dave used to. Also, because of his lack of hops he cant change his shot in the air. I know he is playing on two bad ankles though so he gets a pass this season.

Dre_7
06-01-2005, 01:32 PM
If PHX doesnt win the series, how big was it really?

Dre_7
06-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Now if he blocks a shot to win game 7, then yes it could be the greatest block, but...

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 01:35 PM
goaltend

weebo
06-01-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm still kinda young to remember this but I think Bulls-Knicks playoff series when former Spur Charles Smith was blocked repeatedly. Now that was some kinda block party.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 01:40 PM
How about the John Starks block on I forget who..... THAT was some utter sickness and it #1 IMO.

King
06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Tayshaun Prince's block on Miller's breakaway last year was pretty amazing.

Sportcamper
06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Amare Stoudemire's rejection of Tim Duncan's dunk was a great play but keep it real...TD was hobbling around out there...Were both ankles taped up? TD did not have a whole lot of lift that night...

JMarkJohns
I still like Teyshaun Prince's transition block of Reggie Miller's layup attempt in Game 2 of last season's Eastern Conference Finals better.

That block literally saved the game for Detroit and possibly, even the series as Indiana would have claimed a 2-0 lead.

Dre_7

Word. That was one of the best defensive plays I have ever seen!

Dre_7
06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Amare Stoudemire's rejection of Tim Duncan's dunk was a great play but keep it real...TD was hobbling around out there...Were both ankles taped up? TD did not have a whole lot of lift that night...

I agree. I think a healthy TD woulda thrown it down right in Amares grill!

NoMoneyDown
06-01-2005, 01:44 PM

I thought that was this year???

texbumTHElife
I guess noone here remembers the John Starks block.....

caŽlo
^^^^^^^ word ^^^^^^^

Vashner
06-01-2005, 01:45 PM
My favorite was a block David Robinson did on Jordan .. it was that last season spurs played in the Arena b4 the Alamodome move. Jordan came up with his tongue out and BAMO David stuffed him back to Chicago.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 01:45 PM
I thought that was this year???

He did it again this year to Fred Jones or Stephen Jackson but it wasnt nearly the game changing and series changing play it was last year.

BillsCarnage
06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
It was good, but it was by far not the best block ever. Hakeem had a few good ones for Houston in the playoffs. And the knick ones mentioned above.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2005, 01:51 PM
The block was clean. Duncan was pushed by Nash as he went up though.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Damn someone find a pic of that Starks block so the kids and new found fans here can see what im talking about. Cat came from like 20 FT away and jumped about 12 feet in the air to block a jump shot at the buzzer.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Bah, no way around it. Duncan got served, end of story. Used to hands next time. Snap that thugs arms on the rim tonight and you dont have to play defense the rest of the game ;)

Doesn anyone here know if Tim Duncan actually "works out" at all. I have seen a few pics of him with his shirt off and the guy has the body of a 55 year old man. He needs to get on the Ginobili diet and work out plan! Where some of those "jump shoes" the entire off season :)

BillsCarnage
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=nbafinals/horryolajuwon

Jimcs50
Goaltending

easjer
06-01-2005, 01:57 PM
It was a good block, but top five? Meh. If the series were on the line (ok, it was for them, but it wasn't a game seven or anything) then maybe.

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Damn, anyone else get a feeling the post by Bills with Robert Horry knocking down the 3 to seal a win was an omen.....

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=nbafinals/horryolajuwon

Ok, now your homework assignment is to find the block by John Starks, I think it was either against the Rockets or Bulls.

Obstructed_View
06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Goaltend? Of a dunk? Please. I thought it was a great block. It was the left elbow in Duncan's hip that bugged me, but if they aren't going to call it then it's a great play. Period. It's funny that it's front page news when Duncan gets blocked but nobody points out the seven or eight great blocks that he's had so far in the playoffs. I fully expect him to score at least 40 tonight.

Bandit2981
06-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Did anyone else hear Greg Anthony last night on Fastbreak saying the Amare block would potentially have the same effect on the Spurs series that the Fisher .4 shot had?? :lol this guy has some serious hatred for the spurs, and my opinion is he is still bitter about the Portland/New York beating during the 99 playoffs :rolleyes

nkdlunch
06-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Best this, best that, bla,bla. Do you know which was the best block in history before this Amare one??? That's right, you don't. Cause that shit don't matter, nobody cares.

MiNuS
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
NOT BEST BLOCK IN HISTORY!The dunk would have put the Spurs down 2 points and the Spurs aleady 3-0!

NOW if this was game 7 and same thing happenned,THEN it would be considered something better. BUT it might be the BEST DESPARATION BLOCK OF ALL TIME!

texbumTHElife
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Best this, best that, bla,bla. Do you know which was the best block in history before this Amare one??? That's right, you don't. Cause that shit don't matter, nobody cares.

It was a Portland fan who started the thread. What do you expect, they have nothing else to talk about.

Obstructed_View
06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
The ESPN guys need a reason to sell the game to the average fan, otherwise he won't watch the game. It was far and away the best defensive play for the Suns all season, and it saved the season for them.

The Spurs played like total and complete ass in game 4, and if they hadn't hit so many threes, it would have been a blowout. If the Spurs play like that again they'll lose, but I highly doubt they are going to look back at the tape for game 4 and say, "Damn, we did everything we could possibly do." If the Spurs did any one thing a little better they would have won, so I doubt they are panicking. They just gave one away to a good team. Not likely to happen again.

Xolotl
06-01-2005, 02:20 PM

Yeah I agree nobody gives a damn. Greatest shot ok, greatest comeback i'll give you. But damn everybody knows the greatest block was the one pulled by Kobe's lawyers to keep his ass outta prison.

johnny00
06-01-2005, 03:30 PM
^^^^^
Yeah that was THE greatest cock block ever thrown.

nkdlunch
06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
^ :lol

mookie2001
06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
most insignificant great block of all time

FearDaFro
06-01-2005, 03:35 PM
I vote for Tayshawn's "#31 special" last year. It was just as spectacular, and at this point, WAY more significant.

mookie2001
06-01-2005, 03:39 PM
maliks block on shawn bradley during the 2003 wcf was more impressive

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Goaltend

tlongII
06-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Goaltend

Homer.

ALVAREZ6
06-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Homer.
Douche bag.

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Homer.

Mr Pot.

tlongII
06-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Douche bag.

Fecal matter.

ALVAREZ6
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Fecal matter.
Portland fan.

:lol :lol :lol

clubalien
06-01-2005, 04:49 PM
when the suns go and win 4 straight and then sweep the east for finals then i will think it will get replaced on ESPN classics for years t come
come on give credit this block changed momentium and turned a losing phonex into the nba champs

oh wait they will lose tonight never mind

Xolotl
06-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Portland fan.

:lol :lol :lol

Hey now alvarez theres only so far you should take it. And, I think referring to anyone as a Portland fan is over the line. :smokin

SpursChampsIII
06-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Do "attempted blocks" warrant consideration? How about Cookie Monster's attempt to block Malik's dunk in the 03 Finals? Nice try, but Cookie got reconstructive facial surgery on that one. I will call Amare's block "Nash-aided" since he had some help with a slightly off-balnce Tim. I'll take Cookie's attempted block over Amare's block.

ALVAREZ6
06-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey now alvarez theres only so far you should take it. And, I think referring to anyone as a Portland fan is over the line. :smokin
I'm sorry, I just couldn't hold it in any longer...

Sorry if I have offended you Tlong.

Rynospursfan
06-01-2005, 05:41 PM
http://www.q77.com/blazerssuck/cartoons/postcard01.jpg
http://www.q77.com/blazerssuck/cartoons/blazerslongo.jpg
http://www.q77.com/blazerssuck/cartoons/lineup.jpg
http://www.q77.com/blazerssuck/cartoons/ackerman02.jpg
http://www.q77.com/blazerssuck/cartoons/5039s.jpg

gospursgo21
06-01-2005, 05:45 PM
The worlds greatest block no way the refs worst call. The NBA rules state and I quote "If the ball is above the rim OR on its way down its GOALTENDING"!!!!!! IT WAS BOTH. THEN THE SPURS WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE 4-0 lead and for the win.

SirChaz
06-01-2005, 05:55 PM
The worlds greatest block no way the refs worst call. The NBA rules state and I quote "If the ball is above the rim OR on its way down its GOALTENDING"!!!!!! IT WAS BOTH. THEN THE SPURS WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE 4-0 lead and for the win.

You forgot "except when the offensive player has his hand in contact with the ball". :spin

cherylsteele
06-01-2005, 06:15 PM
You forgot "except when the offensive player has his hand in contact with the ball". :spin

That is not part of the rule Chaz....where in the rule does it say that the offensive player must have his hand on the ball?

Besides....if the Spurs would have made about half of the free throws missed we would not be talking about the block but about who we would rather play in the finals....the spurs as a whole played like crap from the opening tip....that is why they lost...along with sime lucky type shots by the suns down the stretch.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-01-2005, 06:38 PM
I believe the Olajuwon and Prince ones were more spectacular, and legal too.

tlongII
06-01-2005, 06:43 PM

The ball never left Duncan's hand so it was not on its way down.

BillsCarnage
06-01-2005, 06:46 PM
The ESPN guys need a reason to sell the game to the average fan, otherwise he won't watch the game. It was far and away the best defensive play for the Suns all season, and it saved the season for them.

Nah, there were two blocks at the buzzer that wer better. First Amare block Brad Millers shot at the buzzer in Sac town. Second, Marion blocked Nowitski's shot at the buzzer too. Watch some more Suns game and you'll see Amare' gets block happy in the last minute or two. Misses some, goaltends some, and blocks others. He starts swatting away at the end of a game.

SirChaz
06-01-2005, 06:54 PM
That is not part of the rule Chaz....where in the rule does it say that the offensive player must have his hand on the ball?

That is the exception to the rule.

If the offensive player has thier hand on the ball there can be contact with the ball above the rim. This is the way it has always been called.
Otherwise it would be illegal just about anytime a player blocks a dunk attempt.

It was ruled a legal block.

Besides....if the Spurs would have made about half of the free throws missed we would not be talking about the block but about who we would rather play in the finals....the spurs as a whole played like crap from the opening tip....that is why they lost...along with sime lucky type shots by the suns down the stretch.

Lucky shots huh? Like the Spurs made in the first two games? ;)

duncan_21
06-01-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm still kinda young to remember this but I think Bulls-Knicks playoff series when former Spur Charles Smith was blocked repeatedly. Now that was some kinda block party.

Yeah he got fouled at least once in that sequence and like the lakers, the bulls got some no calls. I don't remember the blocked shots but always remember the last shot of playoff games.

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Best blocked shot Bulls vs. Knicks in 1993 Eastern Conference Finals in Game 5 at Madison Square Garden.

itzsoweezee
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
tayshaun prince's block last year was waay better

SirChaz
06-02-2005, 03:01 AM
tayshaun prince's block last year was waay better

Let's see, one was a block of Reggie Miller and one was a block of Tim Duncan.

Which one was better?

Horry For 3!
06-02-2005, 03:11 AM
It wasn't that great of a block.

Reasons why...

1: Nash was pushing Duncan in the back with 2 hands the whole time
2: Amare's hand was above the rim, which would mean goaltending? yeah.

Not even close to being the greast blocked shot.

Sense
06-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Now if he blocks a shot to win game 7, then yes it could be the greatest block, but...

lol you took the words from my mouth..

The block wasn't that big a deal...

They only won one game...please, if it would've changed the series or anything at critical time..it would've been the best..

Give me a break.

baseline bum
06-02-2005, 04:03 AM
I like Rasheed's at the end of game 2 vs. Sean Elliott... oh wait..... my bad....

Sense
06-02-2005, 04:20 AM
I like Rasheed's at the end of game 2 vs. Sean Elliott... oh wait..... my bad....

LOL... I think this trailblazer fan had to post something bad about the spurs that happened on his favorite day..

The day Sean glowed on the memorial day miracle.

Because this block happened that day..

It's ok to try to forget.

WalterBenitez
06-02-2005, 06:40 AM
I nominate Amare Stoudemire's rejection of Tim Duncan's dunk attempt as the best blocked shot in NBA history. Here's why:

Duncan was already in the air and bringing the ball down toward the rim when Stoudemire came out of nowhere, rising like a Phoenix (sorry), and somehow got his hand on the ball, twirling it out of Duncan's hand. In the slow motion replay, you could see that the force of the shot had bent Stoudemire's hand back at the wrist, but he was still able to deflect the shot and force Duncan to smack the rim and leave it rattling.

Well, to be honest i don't know if that one was the Best, but this kid for sure will have it, he's moves and techinique to block are really good, and f...g amazing

ambchang
06-02-2005, 07:25 AM
First of all, it wasn't a goaltend, it was a legal block. The way down thing logic is just wrong, because when an offensive player tries to dunk the ball, the ball is ALWAYS on the way down. The ball has to leave the offensive player's hands too.
As for the block itself, it was not a game saving block (such as the Suns up by one with 5 seconds left), nor does it have any significance (as in the Tayshuan block last year).
In terms of spectacular blocks, this one is not even close. Anybody remember Laphonzo Ellis? When he was back in Denver before his leg injuries, he was quite a baller. There was this one time, some clown (forgot who) tried to fly in on a dunk, Ellis met him right at the rim, didn't just blocked it, he grabbed the ball straight from that guy with one hand, now that's the best block in the history of the NBA.

CaptainLate
06-02-2005, 07:30 AM
I nominate Amare Stoudemire's rejection of Tim Duncan's dunk attempt as the best blocked shot in NBA history....

The best was Henry Ward's block of an attempted dunk by David Thompson flying in from the left wing. But, then, I'm dating myself. LOL

Useruser666
06-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Fuck the block. Amare had like 3 fouls around that time that weren't called at all.

Obstructed_View
06-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Fuck the block. Amare had like 3 fouls around that time that weren't called at all.
In game 5 Duncan made the exact same block on Amare and it was called a foul due to the forearm into the body.

sickdsm
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Well if your going to mention Amare's then discredit it bc it wasn't a game 7.

How about KG's block late in game 7 last year where he just plucked the ball out of the air and grabbed it?

Although there's alot more old skewl ones that are way better this carries much, MUCH more weight than Amare's since the game came down to 2 or three points and Peja was fairly close to the basket.

sanman53
06-03-2005, 10:13 AM
If Duncan would have had the SAME EXACT block, I doubt this many people would be talking about it. Nashy would not have said Duncans block was the greatest block of all time. The fact is, when anyone does anything against the Spurs, it is HUGE! But when the Spurs do anything big, no one talks about it. We will be hearing of 0.4 throughout the history of NBA. We dont hear of the Memorial Day miracle anymore, at least I dont.

Drachen
06-03-2005, 01:28 PM

Great block to be sure, but I am not old enough, and I am sure that most of the people in here are not old enough to make such a statement.

Dre_7
06-03-2005, 01:34 PM
If Duncan would have had the SAME EXACT block, I doubt this many people would be talking about it.

If Duncan had 2 good ankles, he throws it down on Amare easily. But...WHO CARES!!! Spurs won 4-1!!!! So he can have his "greatest block of all time" title if he wants. Timmy is going to his 3rd NBA Finals! Nuff Said!

bigbendbruisebrother
06-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, and I wish I had a pic to post, but the greatest block I can remember has to be Malik's stuff of Dikembe Mutombo agains the Nets in the 2003 NBA finals. Wag that finger, cookie monster.

sanman53
06-03-2005, 02:46 PM
If Duncan had 2 good ankles, he throws it down on Amare easily. But...WHO CARES!!! Spurs won 4-1!!!! So he can have his "greatest block of all time" title if he wants. Timmy is going to his 3rd NBA Finals! Nuff Said!

I agree 100% with you Dre...
My point was, it dont matter what we do, we could go 16-0 in the playoffs, we will never hear about it on ESPN. If Miami would go 16-0, its all we would hear about.
The Spurs had beaten the best team in the West (record-wise) on Wednesday, and all I heard on ESPN, and saw on AOL was Miami vs Troit, how good is Wade, can the Pistons win. etc.
But I do agree with you, WE ARE THERE! We have home court! We are getting a week rest! Talk about Suns and Shaq all you want,

GO SPURS GO!

zedman
06-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Goaltending.

zedman
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM

Except that Tim had let it fall from his hand a *split* second b4 Amare got there and pushed it back against Tim's hand. Goaltending.

I'm sure the push (foul, non-call) in the back from Nash help disrupt Tim's motion and helped allow the block.

zedman
06-03-2005, 03:28 PM
The ball never left Duncan's hand so it was not on its way down.

Bullshit, his release had just started and there was some separation. You can see the hand turn away as Amare pushed it back into Tim's hand. How is a ball that is above the rim not on it's way down as it is going in?????

Xolotl
06-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Damn we're still arguing this??

tlongII
06-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Bullshit, his release had just started and there was some separation. You can see the hand turn away as Amare pushed it back into Tim's hand. How is a ball that is above the rim not on it's way down as it is going in?????

You need glasses. The ball never left Duncan's hand.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Fuck people, let it go. tbong is trolling, and you're biting.

SpursChampsIII
06-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, and I wish I had a pic to post, but the greatest block I can remember has to be Malik's stuff of Dikembe Mutombo agains the Nets in the 2003 NBA finals. Wag that finger, cookie monster.

I did mention this...above.

MannyIsGod
06-04-2005, 02:32 PM
:lmao

Sometimes Spurs fans really disapoint me. Give Amare his props and go get your Finals gear.

benjirh
06-04-2005, 03:55 PM
amen manny.