PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Dice to start in the playoff ?

eric365
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
It's almost the time of the year when Dice finish his hibernation and there will be a lot of tough matchup possible for Blair in the playoff :
- Gasol / Bynum
- Dirk / Chandler
- West / Okafor

For now, Pop kept Blair as a starter in the regular season but do you think Dice should start over Blair in the playoff ?

And if it's the case, should pop begin to start Dice in March ?

urunobili
02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
No... Blair is playing each game more aggressively...

awktalk
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
No.

---------

This has been another edition of simple answers to simple questions.

honestfool84
02-21-2011, 06:53 PM
no.

don't fix what's not broke, right?

eric365
02-21-2011, 06:54 PM
No... Blair is playing each game more aggressively...

Blair has been great in the last game against LA at stealing the ball on the entry pass to Gasol or Bynum

But do you really believe it would work for 7 games ?

UnWantedTheory
02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
No. I wouldn't want to fuck up our chemistry/consistency by making a change during the playoffs of all times.

jjktkk
02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Blair is improving every day, as well as his confidence. No need to change imo, due to Pop having a quck hook if Blair struggles in the playoffs.

DesignatedT
02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't think its necessary but he will definitely see his minutes increase and will most likely be on the floor at the end of the game.

JamStone
02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
When your team is the best in the league, you make other teams adjust to your team. Unless it proves to be an issue and not until then, you don't change what has worked so well up to now. Having said that, if Blair does seem to be an exploitable mismatch against certain teams, that's when you give it consideration. But only then. Pop gets paid to make that call if it does become an issue.

Mel_13
02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Earlier this season, I assumed that it would just be a matter of time before Dice was moved into the starting line-up. Now, I don't think it will happen. Pop has shown no reluctance to give Blair the quick hook if he's getting torched and I think he'll do so, as required, in the playoffs.

Edit: I see jkktkk beat me to the "quick hook" comment.

eric365
02-21-2011, 07:00 PM
No. I wouldn't want to fuck up our chemistry/consistency by making a change during the playoffs of all times.

And if there is a Spurs - Celtics in the finals. Blair defends on Garnett or Shaq at the start of the games ?

HarlemHeat37
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
I was against Blair starting, I'm still not confident in it for the playoffs, but taking him out of the lineup at this point in time doesn't make any sense..

As jk and Mel said, Pop never hesitates to take Blair out, this isn't a Finley or Bonner issue, so it should be fine..

ChuckD
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
And if there is a Spurs - Celtics in the finals. Blair defends on Garnett or Shaq at the start of the games ?

What people forget is that neither of them can guard him either. He's way to quick and nimble for Shaq to stay with and way to strong for Garnett. A simple bump while they are on the floor grounds Garnett and negates his shot blocking ability. It's a trick that guards use in the paint. You throw a ball fake, and when they either change their balance or leave the floor, you just lean into them, and go up into your shot.

Cane
02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Blair will likely start but Dice will probably be finishing the games FWIW.

BoricuaCJA
02-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Blair should be starting unless in a playoff series Blair is not being effective. Don't fix something if its not broken. Also Mcdyess will most likely be playing the most important minutes at the end of the games.

scottspurs
02-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Mcdyess will be in during Crunch time

itzsoweezee
02-22-2011, 12:13 AM
no

SenorSpur
02-22-2011, 12:26 AM
No need to do this.

Blair has been playing well.

Dice can and will close games now and in the playoffs, but there's no need to start him.

NRHector
02-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Blair has been great in the last game against LA at stealing the ball on the entry pass to Gasol or Bynum

But do you really believe it would work for 7 games ?LA is the one with the problems, how are they going to adjust to Blair's game? or Manu? or N3al? or Parker? Spurs are not the ones that lost the last two games they played.

TD 21
02-22-2011, 12:38 AM
When your team is the best in the league, you make other teams adjust to your team. Unless it proves to be an issue and not until then, you don't change what has worked so well up to now. Having said that, if Blair does seem to be an exploitable mismatch against certain teams, that's when you give it consideration. But only then. Pop gets paid to make that call if it does become an issue.

Exactly.

I agree with the consensus. Up until about a month ago, I thought Blair would eventually give way to McDyess, but at this point, I don't see it happening. Nor is it all that necessary. I do, however, expect McDyess to play something resembling starters minutes in the playoffs and generally close games.

Somewhat surprisingly, the team it probably makes the most sense for McDyess to start against is the Mavs, so that he can match minutes with Nowitzki (obviously, he won't play as many minutes, though). Even though neither is a major offensive threat, because of how big the Mavs are in the middle, Bonner shouldn't guard either, which leaves McDyess to guard their centers and that's a waste of his minutes. And it leaves Blair/Bonner to be the primary Nowitzki defenders. But if McDyess and Blair swap places, Blair ends up guarding the Mavs centers. It's not ideal, but it's better than him having to guard Nowitzki. That would leave McDyess/Bonner as the primary Nowitzki defenders, which is ideal.

spurs10
02-22-2011, 01:02 AM
We probably will stick with Blair's energy and strength coming out of the gate. As many have said, Dice will be vital in crunch time.

Darkwaters
02-22-2011, 01:31 AM
no. I wouldn't want to fuck up our chemistry/consistency by making a change during the playoffs of all times.

+1

timtonymanu
02-22-2011, 02:51 AM
Nope. Blair is already accustomed to being a starter. Taking him out in the playoffs will be a bad move. I still believe McDyess will be the 2nd big in the playoffs and I do believe McDyess will be finishing more games in the playoffs than Blair.

G-Dawgg
02-22-2011, 05:53 AM
The playoffs are all about the matchups....he'll start if we need him to start....

benefactor
02-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Blair will likely start but Dice will probably be finishing the games FWIW.
:tu...and that's all that really matters.

Brutalis
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, then we should start Neal over Manu too.

ugh.

Brazil
02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
don't fix if it ain't broken

Horse
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
What people forget is that neither of them can guard him either. He's way to quick and nimble for Shaq to stay with and way to strong for Garnett. A simple bump while they are on the floor grounds Garnett and negates his shot blocking ability. It's a trick that guards use in the paint. You throw a ball fake, and when they either change their balance or leave the floor, you just lean into them, and go up into your shot.
And shaq has had trouble with shorter strong players in the past, Antione Carr comes to mind.

ATXSPUR
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
No way. Keep the current lineup until a change is needed. Don't just change for the sake of it.

angelbelow
02-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Nope, I think our current starting lineup is gaining more and more momentum and chemistry together. Dice will play more regardless of whether he starts or not. Besides its more important who finishes rather than who starts.