PDA

View Full Version : Redbox Digital Service to Challenge Netflix

JudynTX
02-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Looks like Redbox is ready to play with the big boys. The LA Times reports that the kiosk DVD rental company is all set to challenge Netflix head-on.

Redbox President Mitch Lowe has said that his company is getting ready to offer their customers a digital option that will be subscription-based streaming instead of a transactional service. This means that with a single monthly fee, users will be able to access movies on multiple devices and access discs through kiosks.

It also means Redbox will be competing directly with Netflix, aka the media giant who has amassed more than 20 million subscribers to its DVD-by-mail and Internet streaming subscription plans.

Redbox has also previously stated it would launch a digital service with a partner, but has yet to identify who that partner would be. People familiar with the matter have apparently reported that Amazon.com is in talks with studios to acquire content for a subscription movie streaming service, making it sound more and more likely that it could be Redbox’s partner.

Investors have been eagerly waiting for Redbox to launch a digital service, knowing that consumers are increasingly choosing to watch movies via the Web and not DVD. Coinstar’s last fiscal quarter showed that Redbox revenue came in below expectations due to the impact of three studios not offering new releases to the company until 28 days after they went on sale. The company also recently took a hit when Walt Disney Studios decided to raise its wholesale prices for DVDs sold to the company.

link (http://http://www.daemonsmovies.com/2011/02/22/redbox-digital-service-to-challenge-netflix/#)

Drachen
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
good, maybe their offerings won't suck like netflix.

Edit: To clarify, their streaming options suck, but I don't want to wait on dvds

robino2001
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Well considering Amazon rolled out their video streaming to Amazon Prime members today for free, I'd assume redbox is jumping on that bandwagon...?

BlackSwordsMan
02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Unless redbox offers this shit through xbox and ps3 whos gonna get it

Fpoonsie
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, the streaming is cool, but as Dex alluded to, the majority of the movie/tv series choices suck. Pretty sure the movie companies have some kind've restriction on putting a lot of their titles (especially new ones) straight to a Redbox/Netflix streaming subscription acct. It's been reported numerous times that the big movie production companies hate that customers have the ability to stream their movies anyways.

leemajors
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
http://instantwatcher.com/ helps with Netflix a lot.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Well considering Amazon rolled out their video streaming to Amazon Prime members today for free, I'd assume redbox is jumping on that bandwagon...?

It probably would've been a while for me to find that out if I hadn't read your post. Is that some kind of Netflix's suppression of their competitor's new entrepreneurial ventures? Ha. Ok.

I set it up on my TV but the GUI is too slow for me. I hope amazon gets on board with Sony(PS3).

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Unless redbox offers this shit through xbox and ps3 whos gonna get it

Pretty much the same thing I feel with Amazon Prime. I have Amazon prime but the fact that I can't stream it via my PS3 just makes me meh to the service at the moment. I think that will change though.

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah, the streaming is cool, but as Dex alluded to, the majority of the movie/tv series choices suck. Pretty sure the movie companies have some kind've restriction on putting a lot of their titles (especially new ones) straight to a Redbox/Netflix streaming subscription acct. It's been reported numerous times that the big movie production companies hate that customers have the ability to stream their movies anyways.

I don't think its really a limitation but obviously Netflix has to pay to get those movies. That being said, there is an absolute TON of great stuff to stream on Netflix. I don't know how you can say what they offer streaming wise sucks.

You guys are really telling me out of something like 50,000 titles you can't find things you want to watch?

Use the link Lee posted. Instant watcher is great for finding things on Netflix that are streamable. I don't think their PS3 GUI does a very good job with that.