View Full Version : Witcher 2

symple19
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Another title I'm looking forward to. Will wait till i'm done with DA2, though

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/22/the-witcher-2-assasins-of-kings-preview/

QVoytJ9sXqk

rickross
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
witcher will have story/atmosphere/quests >>>>>>>>>>> ... >>>>>>> da2. So if you're more into rpg than action witcher should be a better choice. Da2 will be a flop. Not necessarily economically but from a gameplay point of view.

IronMexican
02-27-2011, 03:41 PM
witcher will have story/atmosphere/quests >>>>>>>>>>> ... >>>>>>> da2. So if you're more into rpg than action witcher should be a better choice. Da2 will be a flop. Not necessarily economically but from a gameplay point of view.

Have you played the demo? DA2 is awesome possum, yo.

symple19
05-04-2011, 01:11 PM
DA2 is awesome possum, yo.

:rollin

IronMexican
05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Fucking A. Let's use this thread since it's older. Too lazy to post the IGN video in the other thread, though. It shows you a lot.

symple19
05-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Fucking A. Let's use this thread since it's older. Too lazy to post the IGN video in the other thread, though. It shows you a lot.

no worries, I'm excited too. Lots of good previews out there. I really need something to hold me down until Skyrim, and New Vegas DLC won't be enough

symple19
05-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Here's that trailer from IGN

This shit looks SICK

7fQFTjmciHI&hd

symple19
05-09-2011, 01:17 PM
xJ0-ogRF8KU

symple19
05-09-2011, 01:18 PM
90BPECahh3o

cheguevara
05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
witcher 1 was pretty entertaining. pretty easy and shit. but damn entertaining

symple19
05-14-2011, 12:06 AM

IMEX, you realize they haven't even set a release date yet for the 360 version, right?

symple19
05-14-2011, 12:07 AM
jk5r1mP6om8&hd

Chomag
05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I got to play a bit of it, and so far it has met my expectations and even surpassed some, and I'm enjoying it. I didn't get to play that much of it though becuase I still have the first game to finish up and use the save file on the witcher 2.

symple19
05-18-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm giving this a few more days before I buy it, but everything I've heard so far is positive. Can't wait to play it

DarkReign
05-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Its getting perfect scores from a lot of reputable mags.

Not that I needed that, just sayin'

d/ling right now on Steam.

symple19
05-20-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm through most of the prologue, and, quite simply, it's amazing. Takes an enormous shit on every RPG i've played since Oblivion. I'll write more once I'm a bit deeper into the game

lol Bioware. Hope those fucks are taking notes

symple19
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
So now that i'm around 15 hours in I feel like I have a good feel for the game. I do have problems with it, but I'll start with all the good stuff, of which there is a LOT

- I love that this game doesn't treat you like a moron. Fairly steep learning curve forces you to read the journal early on in order to understand what is going on and how to play. The beginning of the game is difficult, even on normal, where I got killed a shit ton before I realized you have to use all the tools at your disposal. Magic(signs), traps, potions, bombs, throwing daggers, and your sword(s), of course, must be used if you're going to be successful.

- The story/writing/voice acting is superb. Voices carry the proper emotion and inflection (mostly), unlike many other games. Ambiguous moral choices are littered throughout, with these choices drastically affecting not only the main story line, but side quests as well.

:A few examples of this is 1) a choice you'll have to make at the end of chapter one. Depending which way you go, you will miss an entire city/cast of characters in chapter two. And 2) There are 16 different endings, based on your choices. Meaning? Huge replay value

- Graphics are at the top of the gaming pyramid, IMO. CDP created a new engine for this game that really shines (albeit with some optimization issues which should be fixed through patching, no biggee, imo). Attention to detail coupled with inspired artwork have me just stopping to enjoy the view rather often.

- There's a lot of debate about the liberal use of nudity in this game, but I haven't felt as though it's just shoved in there just to titillate. Yeah, you'll see some tits/ass when you bang hookers, but the nudity associated with the main quest is in keeping with the story they're trying to tell. Much better than the first witcher, imo

- Some of the strongest female characters I've ever seen in a game

- I've really never used traps or alchemy in games, but it's implemented well here and is integral to defeating stronger opponents. There is no such thing as a 'health' potion, so planning ahead and drinking the right potions/crafting traps and bombs before battle is a must. Yes, you have to think from time to time. If not, you'll get punished

- Another point of debate, and a part I really like, is the swordplay. You have both a light and a heavy attack, the latter being risky in some cases because if you miss, it takes awhile to recover. Also,you can't just stand there and spam sword attacks because you'll leave yourself open to backstabs that deal far greater damage than a frontal attack. This forces you to use your roll ability to get behind people and choose your moments wisely

- Crafting is easy and you can even craft the base items needed in order to create swords/armor etc.

- Only 2 CTD's and one bug found in 15 hours of gameplay. if you played the first Witcher, you know how big of a deal that is.

- I've seen the devs personally addressing problems on a few different forums. These guys give a fuck...Shocking, I know

Now some things I don't like

- There are no ramifications for rolling into somebody's house and taking all their shit. They'll just look at you. Stupid

- UI is pretty but pisses me off sometimes. Can't compare your equipped item with an item you're crafting or wanting to purchase. Can't buy crafting components from a vendor while in the crafting menu. Means a lot of back and forth in menus that isn't needed.

- Not enough loot. While it does drop a lot of components that will be needed for crafting, it just doesn't drop enough finished goods, IMO

- No stash. This pisses me off because I'm constantly selling shit in order to free up space. You can carry a lot of stuff, but i'm a hoarder and would rather tuck it away in case I need it later

- Can't jump. I feel the ability to jump would've nicely complemented the ability to roll and added some new and interesting ways to attack

Witcher 2 is a seminal achievement in the RPG genre, and the best fantasy RPG i've played since Oblivion. (better in some ways, especially the immersion factor and the story)

Looking forward to DR and phyzik pointing out stuff I forgot

Spurtacus
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Wow. Spoiler alert but worth it!

http://kotaku.com/5804769/watch-a-woman-strip-naked-using-only-magic

DarkReign
05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I started playing 2 days ago and have played roughly 4 hours (even though Steam says less, I guess it doesnt count pause time). This is not my review, I am not deep enough.

First and foremost, this game looks amazing and sounds amazing. Its the first game that I cannot play on max settings. I have to disable all motion blur, reduce texture memory to medium, reduce FOV distance to Near and I still get awful slowdown in crowded areas (and you do a lot of fighting in crowds). I am considering reducing even further because the slowdown is jarring. But its look beautiful when all is well.

A bit about me, the slow-ass player that I am, I just started Chapter 1. I am barely past the Prologue. Thats with ~3 hours played. yeah, im slow.

I started the game on Hard difficulty and I think I died every single time I got into a fight. The tutorial on how to do...anything, blows. When the tooltips popup, they inexplicably disappear just as quickly when you press some key that I havent figured out yet (but its a key thats used often, I can tell you that). Like symple said, read the fucking Tutorial journal completely. Youll learn about Meditation, Potions, Pockets, combat, mutagens, leveling...basically everything about the game that probably flashed across my screen too quickly to read.

Even after pouring over the journal, combat is (for me) extremely difficult. Signs (or spell casting) are great, but I find the cast time on traps and defensive spells is long. When your surrounded by 6 enemies and it only takes 3-4 hits to die, youre being asked to Reload Last Save? more often than youre actually fighting. I actually succumbed to the difficulty and had to turn it down to Normal. Big difference, still difficult, but big difference.

Again, Im still too early in the game to say anything ironclad, but this game seems to be one of the best that I have played in years. I have to get further into the talent tree, I fucking need more Vigor and because I am so early, I havent had the world "open up" yet (still on rails, really) which is really important. But so far, I like that the combat is difficult, I like that you need to have a plan when going into battle (or you will die a lot), I like the story, Im digging the characters, the graphics and sound are top notch system pushers and most importantly, the game is a blast to play. The UI seems to need some work, but I am sure there is a mod being made right now that is going to improve the UI immensely. The crafting system is needlessly awkward and menu intensive, but that doesnt bother me too much.

But overall, this game delivers in ways DA2 could only dream. I never finished DA2 and I wont suspect I will for a long time.

From the reviews I read, it seems that your choices truly have game-changing, end-altering effects. I look forward to that.

Really enjoying my time. I remember Dragon Quest for the NES had brutal difficulty curve (at least for 12 year old me) and this reminds me of that. I enjoy challenges and I especially enjoy games I am not good at. So far, I suck at Witcher 2 and I am loving every second of it.

symple19
05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
A mod for those, like me, who want to hoard everything. Zero Item weight

http://gamemodscore.org/downloads.php?do=download&fileid=112

symple19
06-01-2011, 08:59 PM
DR, phyzik... you guys beaten this badass game yet?

phyzik
06-02-2011, 12:11 AM
DR, phyzik... you guys beaten this badass game yet?

Im close.... I have several saves going on trying to figure out all of the choices....

This game is awesome.

DarkReign
06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
No, not even close. Still not out of Chapter 1. Very busy boy with zero time to do...anything, really. Work, family, sleep. Rinse and repeat.

symple19
06-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Working on second playthrough, this time Roche's path. game is sick

hater
01-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Just installed it about to play it. $30 at target

vander
01-28-2012, 11:51 PM
hmm, this revived thread has caused me to consult the Zero Punctuation to see if the game was perhaps worth playing.

It hilariously is not :lol

hater
01-29-2012, 06:07 PM
great fucking game :wow

a little too much cinematics for my taste in RPG, but it's a true RPG. Also a little buggy. But still great, great game.

DJR210
06-05-2015, 12:24 AM
4 years and 4 months late to the party.. but fuck this game is hard. No hand holding w/ knowing what to do next, and the combat is pretty tough so far.

baseline bum
06-05-2015, 01:27 AM

d/ling now on nosteam tbh

baseline bum
06-05-2015, 01:36 AM
4 years and 4 months late to the party.. but fuck this game is hard. No hand holding w/ knowing what to do next, and the combat is pretty tough so far.

Do you agree it's better than Oblivion? I mean that's a fucking lot live up to (not counting 2006 graphics obviously).

DJR210
06-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Do you agree it's better than Oblivion? I mean that's a fucking lot live up to (not counting 2006 graphics obviously).

I don't know, tough call. I spent a shit load of hours on Oblivion, and I do prefer true open world. Witcher 2 is open world w/ boundaries.

baseline bum
06-05-2015, 02:01 AM
I don't know, tough call. I spent a shit load of hours on Oblivion, and I do prefer true open world. Witcher 2 is open world w/ boundaries.

I loved everything about Oblivion except for the XBox 360's performance (e.g., constant 2 second stutters to load textures when in the open world). Oblivion really gets fun when you enchant armor to take away your speed and athleticism so that you can train it over 100. Then enchant armor to add to speed and athleticism after training. When you get athleticism over about 200 or so you can jump over the city walls, shit's hilarious. Of course if you use your 200+ speed it really murders shit on the XBox 360 trying to load textures in the open world. :lol

DJR210
06-05-2015, 02:28 AM
I loved everything about Oblivion except for the XBox 360's performance (e.g., constant 2 second stutters to load textures when in the open world). Oblivion really gets fun when you enchant armor to take away your speed and athleticism so that you can train it over 100. Then enchant armor to add to speed and athleticism after training. When you get athleticism over about 200 or so you can jump over the city walls, shit's hilarious. Of course if you use your 200+ speed it really murders shit on the XBox 360 trying to load textures in the open world. :lol

:lol yeah, that was a time in which I didn't understand stuttering..I remember clearing the cache to get an improvement.

DJR210
06-05-2015, 02:30 AM
Another older game I think I'm gonna install.. Hitman Absolution..still one of the better looking titles out.. and I'm gonna get back into Splinter Cell Blacklist.. feel like going for some perfect runs.

vander
06-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Another older game I think I'm gonna install.. Hitman Absolution..still one of the better looking titles out.. and I'm gonna get back into Splinter Cell Blacklist.. feel like going for some perfect runs.

loved the first 2 hitmans, recently tried absolution, never finished. upcoming movie looks like an abomination

back on topic, I don't see the how one could even compare witcher 2 and oblivion. witcher has some open world feel but it really isn't, and has some RPG feel but there really isn't. you have pretty much the same abilities/weapons/magic/potions/bombs all the way through the game.

the one thing I kinda liked about Witcher 2 was that there were plenty of fights where I thought "holy hell! I will never come even remotely close to beating this guy" but then slowly but surely, if I figured out what I was supposed to do, and did it over and over without making a mistake, I would get closer and closer to beating that asshole, and when I finally did, it felt pretty darn good, better than any other boss fight in any other game in recent memory. though I'm not about to go play Dark Souls...

have you fought the operator yet?

DJR210
06-06-2015, 06:35 PM
loved the first 2 hitmans, recently tried absolution, never finished. upcoming movie looks like an abomination

back on topic, I don't see the how one could even compare witcher 2 and oblivion. witcher has some open world feel but it really isn't, and has some RPG feel but there really isn't. you have pretty much the same abilities/weapons/magic/potions/bombs all the way through the game.

the one thing I kinda liked about Witcher 2 was that there were plenty of fights where I thought "holy hell! I will never come even remotely close to beating this guy" but then slowly but surely, if I figured out what I was supposed to do, and did it over and over without making a mistake, I would get closer and closer to beating that asshole, and when I finally did, it felt pretty darn good, better than any other boss fight in any other game in recent memory. though I'm not about to go play Dark Souls...

have you fought the operator yet?

Yeah, not a good comparison w/ Elder Scrolls IMO too.. and yeah, from probably the 5th fight I was like "holy hell" as far as being matched up evenly.. the game is fucking hard.. 3-4 hits (that usually happen in like 3 seconds of not moving) and you're gone.. I just got to the forest stage, and have started working towards defeating the Kayran.. I just went down into that cave for Malena, and had such a fucking hard time fighting that pack of creatures.. I must have tried 15 times before I finally beat them w/ a combination of quen, traps, and ranged attacks..

I love difficult games because it feels like an achievement to progress, and it's what I grew up on.. extremely difficult SNES and Genesis games in which 9/10 I never beat because they were so fucking hard. As for Dark Souls, it has that shitty japanese feel to it that ruins the game for me, and I didn't care for the animation or graphics much. Witcher 2 isn't exactly the best graphics or best animation, but the characters and voice acting, combined w/ the branching story has kept my interest vs Dark Souls which I played for a few hours and couldn't get into.

Negative on the operator.

Have you played SC Blacklist? Great game.. So many ways to approach missions, and great visuals. Only complaint I have on that game is Sam Fisher's new voice and look, but that's just me since I've been playing since the 1st game.

baseline bum
06-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Yeah, not a good comparison w/ Elder Scrolls IMO too.. and yeah, from probably the 5th fight I was like "holy hell" as far as being matched up evenly.. the game is fucking hard.. 3-4 hits (that usually happen in like 3 seconds of not moving) and you're gone.. I just got to the forest stage, and have started working towards defeating the Kayran.. I just went down into that cave for Malena, and had such a fucking hard time fighting that pack of creatures.. I must have tried 15 times before I finally beat them w/ a combination of quen, traps, and ranged attacks..

I love difficult games because it feels like an achievement to progress, and it's what I grew up on.. extremely difficult SNES and Genesis games in which 9/10 I never beat because they were so fucking hard. As for Dark Souls, it has that shitty japanese feel to it that ruins the game for me, and I didn't care for the animation or graphics much. Witcher 2 isn't exactly the best graphics or best animation, but the characters and voice acting, combined w/ the branching story has kept my interest vs Dark Souls which I played for a few hours and couldn't get into.

Negative on the operator.

Have you played SC Blacklist? Great game.. So many ways to approach missions, and great visuals. Only complaint I have on that game is Sam Fisher's new voice and look, but that's just me since I've been playing since the 1st game.

What games did you find really hard on SNES? I always thought of the NES as the system with the really difficult games. E.g., stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, Ghosts n Goblins, etc.

DJR210
06-06-2015, 08:34 PM
What games did you find really hard on SNES? I always thought of the NES as the system with the really difficult games. E.g., stuff like Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, Ghosts n Goblins, etc.

Shit, all of them. I remember beating Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic 1 and 2.. but that's about it. Battletoads was one of the hardest games of all time.. Super Contra was hard.. Link to the Past? Fucking forget it, that game was ruthless at leaving you to find your own way.. Super R-Type used to frustrate the shit out of me.. and yeah, NES also had the ridiculously hard games too, but I didn't mention it because I was poverty tier at that age and didn't have one :cry