PDA

View Full Version : personal Submarine could be easiest, safest yet.

phyzik
02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
I want it....

http://mashable.com/2011/02/22/personal-submarine/

http://9.mshcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/screenshot0052.jpg

Hop into this Ego Compact Semi Submarine, and without any extensive training you can be on your way to exploring the deep blue sea in no time.

Why is this called a semi-submarine? The entire boat is not submerged, but it’s more like a pontoon boat with a transparent waterproof compartment hanging from its middle.

That means James Cameron is not going to be using one of these subs for that deep-water shoot for his Avatar sequel, but it’s still suitable for giving you an eye-popping view of the undersea world. Think of it as more akin to snorkeling than scuba diving.

The little boat cruises along at a leisurely sightseeing pace that’s unspecified by its maker, which will only say that its batteries will last eight hours at cruising speed or four hours at top speed.

It’s built by South Korean company Raonhaje, which plans to sell fleets of these Ego Semi-Submarines to resorts, and single units to individuals and yacht owners. The company offers to build custom moorings for the craft, as well as hoists for yachts.

We’re thinking super-safe leisure subs like these would be a huge hit at a resort, especially seaside marinas near coral reefs, with their colorful and bustling underwater wildlife. Just think, even people who can’t swim can enjoy the spectacular view.

BlackSwordsMan
02-22-2011, 03:04 PM
holy shit thats badass it'll make it easier to spot water zombies when the time comes as well

The Reckoning
02-22-2011, 03:06 PM
so many buoys are going to get fucked up

lazerelmo
02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Scene 1: (2 red necks out on the lake in pontoon boat. Empty beer cans all around)

Red neck1: Say Man. What say we flip this thing over and make a submarine out of it?

Red neck2: Naw, you'd have to have somethin waterproof to set in.

Red neck 1: I got one of them front load'n wash'n machines. How bout that?

Red neck2: Giggidy!

4>0rings
02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
For some reason the scene in Austin Powers when he's trying to turn around his electric cart in a tunnel comes to mind.

Trainwreck2100
02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
hurray for easier drug smuggling

CosmicCowboy
02-23-2011, 09:51 AM
A little minor flaw there. With that thing bobbing and wallowing in the waves the average tourist is going to be covering those nice windows in vomit in no time.

tp2021
02-23-2011, 10:12 AM
A little minor flaw there. With that thing bobbing and wallowing in the waves the average tourist is going to be covering those nice windows in vomit in no time.

Waves would cause the average tourist will cover anything in vomit. I for one would be glad for my submarine to have the flaw of windows as opposed to none, ya know?

CosmicCowboy
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Waves would cause the average tourist will cover anything in vomit. I for one would be glad for my submarine to have the flaw of windows as opposed to none, ya know?

It's basically just an expensive glass bottom boat. The nice thing about real submersibles or diving is that you don't have the wave action and it's more like flying in water.