PDA

View Full Version : Are Spurs Chokers?

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Let's end this argument once and for all.

First, my definition of "choking" a series. You must be ahead, and then lose the series. Note, I'm talking whole series, not individual games. All teams choke the occasional game.

So, one of you stat experts out there, what is the Spurs record when leading a series? How about their record in series deciding games?

And finally, what is the Spurs record in game 7's?

Thanks in advance, I'm curious myself whether the Spurs are "chokers" or not.

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I don;'t think the Spurs are currently chokers.

But last season regular games inthe 4th quarter? yeah.

Thankfully they've shed that moniker, in my eyes at least.

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Let's end this argument once and for all.

First, my definition of "choking" a series. You must be ahead, and then lose the series. Note, I'm talking whole series, not individual games. All teams choke the occasional game.

So, one of you stat experts out there, what is the Spurs record when leading a series? How about their record in series deciding games?

And finally, what is the Spurs record in game 7's?

Thanks in advance, I'm curious myself whether the Spurs are "chokers" or not.

They are 1-2 in game 7s.

They beat Philly after being up 3-1 in 79.

The very next series, they blew a 3-1 lead to Washington and lost in game 7

They lost to Portland in 90 in Portland in game 7 when Strickland threw the no look pass to Larry Brown.

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 02:44 PM
If SA does lose this series, they will have the distinction of being the biggest chokers in the annals of the NBA...and I would never be able to show my face to anyone around here again.

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Jim. Were they ahead in the series against Portland, or behind before Game 7?

Just read you're other post. You're absolutely right, if the Spurs somehow lose this series, they will be known as the biggest chokers ever.

Even more motivation for them to win tonight or Friday!

Obstructed_View
06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
In a word - yep. That said, there's really no way they piss away a 3-0 lead. I'm here to tell ya that any team that loses a 3-0 lead immediately becomes the biggest choker in history.

tlongII
06-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Yes. Big time.

Jimcs50
06-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Jim. Were they ahead in the series against Portland, or behind before Game 7?

Just read you're other post. You're absolutely right, if the Spurs somehow lose this series, they will be known as the biggest chokers ever.

Even more motivation for them to win tonight or Friday!

We won every home game and lost every road game.

1Parker1
06-01-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't get it. What team in the NBA really chokes like the way you defined--being ahead in the series and then losing-- on a regular basis?

First off, how many teams are consistent enough, other then the Spurs and maybe LA past few years, to even get a commanding lead in a series ever year, be good enough to in the first place, and then choke??

.....Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying...or maybe just overanalysing.

I will say this: If the Spurs lose to the Suns this year----then I just may consider them to be chokers--especially after what I saw last year.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-01-2005, 03:33 PM
If no team in the history of the league has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series, and you allow that to happen, then yes, you are a choker.
That's pretty much the definition of a choke. Put another way, you can lose 4 in a row ANY TIME OF THE YEAR and you ain't a choker. But do it now, and you'll NEVER live it down. EVER.

SWC Bonfire
06-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Chokers don't win championships. Spurs have won twice. Looking good for three.

http://www.magooffl.com/images/WarrenMoon.jpg

Another story.

Extra Stout
06-01-2005, 03:37 PM
The Spurs are not chokers.

However, their fans are pussies.

GrandeDavid
06-01-2005, 03:37 PM
^Warren wasn't a choker, but his teamates sure as hell were.

SWC Bonfire
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
^Warren wasn't a choker, but his teamates sure as hell were.

True, he didn't have anything to do with Frank Reich looking like Joe Montana. But he sure fumbled in some bad situations... :jack

I have also come to the inevitable conclusion that there are Scottish soccer fans that outclass Spurs fans.

nkdlunch
06-01-2005, 03:45 PM
http://redsox.mostvaluablenetwork.com/wp-content/images/YankeesChoke.jpg

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 03:48 PM
If they lose the series, yes.

The Spurs are not chokers.

However, their fans are pussies.

Extra Stout
Brewmaster

Position: Streaky Guard
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $500

Guess that means you too.

manustarting2gd
06-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Grow a pair would you? Dont get it twisted you all, This Spurs team is full of determination and the will to win. S.A. will fight to the death to win this series. PHX is on the verge of being an afterthought. One name for you... TONY. The floor general will decide the series from here on out. Choker's ??? I dont think so. Western Conference Champs ??? Definitely.

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Tony is the only guy I worry about. He is so inconsistent and has totally choked against LAL. Payton let Billups become MVP in the finals. Parker has to play looser and not worry about screwing up.

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
OK, it seems my point was lost in all of this.

I was sick of people claiming the Spurs are chokers after losing one game.

My contention is the Spurs are not Chokers. I know for a fact the Tim Duncan era Spurs are not.

So, there is no reason to doubt, cry, bitch or moan. The Spurs will win this series. If not tonight, then on Friday. Spurs don't choke.

myhc
06-01-2005, 04:03 PM
The Spurs are not chokers but have come close a few times in the past like that game 5 against the Lakers when Robert almost brought them back from like 25 down and missed the 3. If they lose this series, then yes, they will be big time chokers.

Medvedenko
06-01-2005, 04:04 PM
If they lose...then yes...however I don't see them losing...Phoenix is a team on the verge and will be very dangerous in the next 2-5 years. The spurs have the swagger and wherewithall to withstand 1 loss.

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Tony is the only guy I worry about. He is so inconsistent and has totally choked against LAL. Payton let Billups become MVP in the finals. Parker has to play looser and not worry about screwing up.

While it's easy to blame all four losses on Tony, fact is, the Spurs lost as a team. Last year was the only series choke by the Tim Duncan Spurs. And it happened against the only team that has had any luck at all against the Spurs in the playoffs.

Extra Stout
06-01-2005, 04:12 PM
If they lose the series, yes.

Guess that means you too.Yes, I self-identity with a group of people that have disgusted me lately.

What the hell happened to Spurs Nation?

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Some of us never gave up. Some of us don't head for the nearest high ledge after losing one playoff game. Spurs Nation as a whole is still intact and doing fine. There is a loud minority who are pulling the Chicken Little routine and you, apparently, lack the mental ability to not group an entire fan base under the whinings of a few.

Timoha
06-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I'd say the Spurs somewhat choked last season, since statistically there was only a 4% chance of a Laker come back. However, I am rather confident that we will not do so this year. This Spurs could have very much won that game if Tim made a couple more Free Throws and the Spurs defense would have been what it usually is.

Obstructed_View
06-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Yes. Big time.
If you were anything but a troll you'd admit that the Blazers are bigger chokers than the Spurs.

If you were anything but a troll.

Obstructed_View
06-01-2005, 08:08 PM
^Warren wasn't a choker, but his teamates sure as hell were.All he had to do was guide his team to more than three points in 31 minutes. He's as responsible as anyone else.

Vashner
06-01-2005, 08:59 PM
No duncan missed FT's on purpose. So that we use Sun's as a scrimmage team to keep warm.

Just like he missed that shot during the Seattle series..