PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams to the Nets

Spursfanfromafar
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Please move it to appropriate forum a bit later.. This has to sink in among Spurs fans as well !

Per Super Reporter Adrian Woj -

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/40440619373432832

Utah has agreed to trade All-Star point guard Deron Williams to Nets in multi-player package, Yahoo! Sports has learned. Deal is done.

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
More details:

Derrick Favors has been pulled out of Nets practice, and told he's being traded to a Western Conference team, source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Favors will go to Jazz with Harris, two first-round picks. Nets wlll send Troy Murphy to Golden State, and Warriors send Gadzuric to Nets.

lefty
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Old news

Spursfanfromafar
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
More details:

Derrick Favors has been pulled out of Nets practice, and told he's being traded to a Western Conference team, source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Favors will go to Jazz with Harris, two first-round picks. Nets wlll send Troy Murphy to Golden State, and Warriors send Gadzuric to Nets.

More -

The Nets will send $3 million to the Jazz also, a source said, as part of the Deron Williams trade.

tdunk21
nice...now utah wont be a threat in the western conference.....utah should hire sloan back just to piss off deron "babyface" williams

Stump
Wow.

So I guess they are trying to bring Jerry Sloan back?

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Nets play here on Friday.

Spursfanfromafar
02-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Per Zach Lowe-SI -

"If I'm reading @LarryCoon's guide right, Deron is not eligible for extension until July 17th, 2011--after CBA expires."

----------

The Jazz have indeed made a super odd move. This came right out of left field. Who would have thunk that the Jazz were selling D-Will even before there was no threat from him before 2012??!

K-State Spur
02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
nice...now utah wont be a threat in the western conference.....utah should hire sloan back just to piss off deron "babyface" williams

Talk about a turnaround from October. This team was considered (by many) to be a darkhorse contender when they "fleeced" the Pups for Jefferson.

Spursfanfromafar
02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
More from Woj -

"The Nets will also receive Dan Gadzuric and Brandan Wright from Golden State, with Troy Murphy on the way to Warriors, source said."

lefty
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Old news

Spursfanfromafar
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
On the ESPN Trade Machine -

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4u4xl72

NASpurs
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
More from Woj -

"The Nets will also receive Dan Gadzuric and Brandan Wright from Golden State, with Troy Murphy on the way to Warriors, source said."

Didn't someone here say Troy Murphy was going to be traded and bought out?

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't think this really makes the Nets better.

Ice009
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't think this really makes the Nets better.

Of course it makes the Nets better.

coyotes_geek
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
That's a lot to give up for a guy who can bolt for free agency in a little over a year.

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Of course it makes the Nets better.

Favors, Harris and 2 first rounders are out the door. I like Deron a lot, but who's he going to play with?

Its like the Nets just HAD to make a deal because their rich owner wants to play around with his toy.

Spursfanfromafar
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Favors, Harris and 2 first rounders are out the door. I like Deron a lot, but who's he going to play with?

Its like the Nets just HAD to make a deal because their rich owner wants to play around with his toy.

No, it gives the Nets a franchise player to build around and do their branding and stuff as they move to Brooklyn. Besides with plenty more picks left, and having a superb point guard in the team, plus a billionaire owner, the Nets can swing better deals for role players and decent additions when the time comes.

Ice009
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

It's a lot to give up, but Deron is a better player than all those guys. Who's to say that Favors will ever pan out? If they can keep Deron it's a pretty good trade.

coyotes_geek
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
No, it gives the Nets a franchise player to build around and do their branding and stuff as they move to Brooklyn. Besides with plenty more picks left, and having a superb point guard in the team, plus a billionaire owner, the Nets can swing better deals for role players and decent additions when the time comes.

Their "franchise player" can become an unrestricted free agent after next season. The nets can get burned badly here if they gave up Favors + two 1sts to rent Deron for the remainder of this season plus a potentially lockout-shortened 2011-2012 campaign.

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Deron is a franchise caliber player. There's no doubt about that, but we've all seen what teams who try to build this way end up (Sup Cleveland). There's also a chance he bolts fairly soon so we'll see if they can build off of him.

cheguevara
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Niets!!!!!!!!!

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
It's a lot to give up, but Deron is a better player than all those guys. Who's to say that Favors will ever pan out? If they can keep Deron it's a pretty good trade.

Thats a pretty big IF.

cd98
West getting weaker.

Denver and now Utah.

Spursfanfromafar
Their "franchise player" can become an unrestricted free agent after next season. The nets can get burned badly here if they gave up Favors + two 1sts to rent Deron for the remainder of this season plus a potentially lockout-shortened 2011-2012 campaign.

That is the key question. The Nets can only extend Williams earliest on July 9 after the CBA expires. Wonder, how they manage to convince him to stay without an extension......

cheguevara
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Deron is franchise. there is no and ifs or buts

K-State Spur
02-23-2011, 11:42 AM
That is the key question. The Nets can only extend Williams earliest on July 9 after the CBA expires. Wonder, how they manage to convince him to stay without an extension......

they may have a franchise player tag to use at that juncture.

however the new CBA unfolds, it will be more advantageous for teams who want to keep their own free agents than the past one.

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Well, he can't opt out until the summer of 2012. They'll have from the end of the lockout until then to convince him to stay.

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
This trade gets Utah to around 5M above the tax. With Favors coming in,wouldn't be surprised to see them move Millsap to a team that can absorb all or most of his salary with cap space or a trade exception. Sacramento, Cleveland, and Toronto are possibilities for a Utah salary dump.

baseline bum
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Wow, turning Favors, two picks, and a point guard they didn't want into an MVP candidate is impressive as hell. Still, if those are 2012 picks they better hope they get a top 5 pick this season so they have someone better than Vujacic or Johan Petro (:lol) for him to pass to as a third option.

coyotes_geek
02-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Especially considering the teams that will have money to throw around. Granted we need to see what the new CBA looks like, but there's going to be a decent number of teams who project to have significant cap room.

K-State Spur
02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
This trade gets Utah to around 5M above the tax. With Favors coming in,wouldn't be surprised to see them move Millsap to a team that can absorb all or most of his salary with cap space or a trade exception. Sacramento, Cleveland, and Toronto are possibilities for a Utah salary dump.

I think they'd try to move Okur or Jefferson before Millsap - although that might prove to be more difficult.

JR3
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
This is a great deal for the Jazz... they were going to lose Dwill for nothing. Instead they get a solid pg and a solid young PF PLUS they get 2 first round draft picks.. like the spurs- they build through the draft (not free agency). That is huge. They can continue to win i think. They were on their way down the drain without this trade.

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I think they'd try to move Okur or Jefferson before Millsap - although that might prove to be more difficult.

I'm sure that they would rather move one of the bigger contracts, but Millsap will be much more attractive to potential trade partners and makes enough to move them under the tax.

JR3
02-23-2011, 12:04 PM
If Dwill wasn't impressed with the talent in Utah.. I want to see his face when he hits the floor with the Nets! LOL

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
If Dwill wasn't impressed with the talent in Utah.. I want to see his face when he hits the floor with the Nets! LOL

And AJ will probably be the next coach to resign! :downspin:

Maddog
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
And AJ will probably be the next coach to resign! :downspin:

We will see if AJ has loosened up. This could really blow up in the nets face

rascal
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
This is a great deal for the Jazz... they were going to lose Dwill for nothing. Instead they get a solid pg and a solid young PF PLUS they get 2 first round draft picks.. like the spurs- they build through the draft (not free agency). That is huge. They can continue to win i think. They were on their way down the drain without this trade.

But they like to draft goofy white guys. Utah will never be any good.

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 12:31 PM

But will they try to get Sloan back? :hat

JR3
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM
But they like to draft goofy white guys. Utah will never be any good.

True- They can only hope the next larry bird is coming soon.

JR3
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
But will they try to get Sloan back? :hat

That is the immediate thought around here. A lot of Jazz fans think sloan left because of Dwill... And there has been too much change for the jazz fans to handle all at once.. even the jazz jerseys changed this year.. Sloan coming back would increase the the comfort level for sure. But no official rumors out there yet that i know of.

toki9
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Nets had to get rid of Harris and Favors...they were completely tuned out after all the trade talk...Harris felt really betrayed by Johnson especially since he was very enthusiastic about bringing in AJ as a coach

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Nets had to get rid of Harris and Favors...they were completely tuned out after all the trade talk...Harris felt really betrayed by Johnson especially since he was very enthusiastic about bringing in AJ as a coach

Very true, but this is typical AJ too. It's no wonder Timmy doesn't care for him very much. AJ has always had that two-faced attitude about him, even when he was with the Spurs. Only Pop understood him and to a certain extent DRob.

moisaenz
I think this is a way better deal than Melo.. I guess thats why the Nets owner stopped playing in the Melodrama.... Deron makes players around him better, melo was just a scorer.

ohmwrecker
Jeff McDonald (http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN): Exact RJ quote, on D-Will as NJ drawing card: "That’s bigger than the arena, that’s bigger than Brooklyn. That’s bigger than all of that."

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter_media.html#ixzz1Eo3HgO5N

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I think this is a way better deal than Melo.. I guess thats why the Nets owner stopped playing in the Melodrama.... Deron makes players around him better, melo was just a scorer.

Granted, but lest we forget, Deron is a scorer too, and makes players around him better.

nkdlunch
02-23-2011, 01:04 PM

yup

Nets russian owner pimpslapped the knicks

Mugen
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
yup

Nets russian owner pimpslapped the knicks

only if Deron signs the extension.

if he doesnt then he just gave away a promising big man, high lottery picks, solid pg for a 1 1/2 year rental and a first round knockout in next years playoffs.

timtonymanu
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Wow teams are really learning from the LeBron debacle.

This came out of nowhere.

ManuTastic
02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Oh noes:

From the espn story about the Deron trade, towards the bottom:

Just Tuesday night, the Dallas Mavericks were talking to the Nets about re-acquiring Harris, according to sources. The Mavericks had shown interest in the point guard in January and told the Nets the sides should talk again if New Jersey didn't ship him out in an Anthony trade.

... so I guess this means no chance of Harris returning to Dallas, right?

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
only if Deron signs the extension.

if he doesnt then he just gave away a promising big man, high lottery picks, solid pg for a 1 1/2 year rental and a first round knockout in next years playoffs.

Harris' contract only runs one year longer than Deron's and the picks aren't that great. 5th or 6th in a weak 2011 draft and a pick no higher than 8th in 2012. If they can't persuade Deron to sign an extension, and the new CBA may make it extremely costly if not impossible to leave, they can always trade him. In that scenario, they'll recoup some or all of what they gave up. Definitely worth the risk, a no-brainer really.

Mugen
02-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Harris' contract only runs one year longer than Deron's and the picks aren't that great. 5th or 6th in a weak 2011 draft and a pick no higher than 8th in 2012. If they can't persuade Deron to sign an extension, and the new CBA may make it extremely costly if not impossible to leave, they can always trade him. In that scenario, they'll recoup some or all of what they gave up. Definitely worth the risk, a no-brainer really.

Sorry i forgot to add that im a Favors homer, for some reason :p:

SenorSpur
02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
The Russian Billionaire is a damned fool.

The Nets will have given up major assets (Harris, Favors and two first round picks) for a short-term, franchise-changing PG (Williams), who will most assuredly be gone in the summer of 2012. At that point, what will the Nets have to show for this trade?

After fleecing the Mavs in the horrific Jason Kidd robbery of three years ago, the Nets have now essentially allowed themselves to be fleeced by the Jazz.

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
The Russian Billionaire is a damned fool.

The Nets will have given up major assets (Harris, Favors and two first round picks) for a short-term, franchise-changing PG (Williams), who will most assuredly be gone in the summer of 2012. At that point, what will the Nets have to show for this trade?

After fleecing the Mavs in the horrific Jason Kidd robbery of three years ago, the Nets have now essentially allowed themselves to be fleeced by the Jazz.

Jt.ONE
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
deron+lopez = next stockton/malone

book it.

Kori Ellis
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
It's hilarious to me that DWill found out about the trade by watching SportsCenter. He really must be a jerk for them to treat him that way.

ElNono
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Did Deron lose an ELE or something?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3389709116_1e23d41316.jpg

Cane
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Great to see Deron get his comeuppance although Utah should've handled Sloan better (assuming he isn't coming back).

But if Deron and the Nets play their cards right...Dwight Howard now has a team to join in the East when he leaves the Magic.

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Did Deron lose an ELE or something?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3389709116_1e23d41316.jpg

Damn. I left Jersey almost 30 years ago. Is that what it looks like now?

Mugen
It's hilarious to me that DWill found out about the trade by watching SportsCenter. He really must be a jerk for them to treat him that way.

his rep has taken a beating this month, thats for sure. never thought he was a jerk until all this negative press started coming out.

guess i must have missed it earlier.

ElNono
Damn. I left Jersey almost 30 years ago. Is that what it looks like now?

Not really... it's normally darker... :lol

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Why are you saying 5-6 pick this year? It could end up being the first pick for all anyone knows.

Only way this trade works out for the Nets is if they sign someone to compliment in FA and they keep Deron. A lot of IFs to make this a good trade.

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Its weird because I pretty much think this trade sucks for both teams.

phxspurfan
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Deron Williams is a jerk. I'm glad he's in the cellar that is New Jersey now. Let him rot there.

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Why are you saying 5-6 pick this year?It could end up being the first pick for all anyone knows.

That's the most likely outcome. Even if it's higher, the 2011 draft is weak. No Duncan, LeBron, or Rose out there.

Only way this trade works out for the Nets is if they sign someone to compliment in FA and they keep Deron. A lot of IFs to make this a good trade.

Only one IF, really. If they keep Deron, they win. If he won't sign an extension, they trade him and won't lose much.

Spursfanfromafar
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
That's the most likely outcome. Even if it's higher, the 2011 draft is weak. No Duncan, LeBron, or Rose out there.

There is Jimmer Fredette, the Mormon God of Basketball.. (in jest)..

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Tony never gets a break. He would have been an All-Star if Melo and Williams were traded last week.

tmtcsc
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Talk about a turnaround from October. This team was considered (by many) to be a darkhorse contender when they "fleeced" the Pups for Jefferson.

So much for Chuck Barkley's love affair with Utah.

Gregzilla
02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
good trade for both teams, utah got stacked with two good young players and picks and nj got an all-star. NJ had to do this in order to attract a big free agent in 2012 (dwight?)..it's a gamble but they weren't gonna win with favors/harris anyway and def would not have attracted anyone. NJ= dwill allstar, brooklyn, new arena, billionaire owner, jay-z, and 15-20 mil in cap space for 2011/2012, def worth a look for free agents (d12, perkins,oj mayo, david west, cp3) Like Mel_13 said, NO BRAINER. It's a gamble but hey..at least they're trying

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
So much for Chuck Barkley's love affair with Utah.

Guess Chuck will suck on Mavs again, his so-called best team in Texas.

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
TBH, I could see Utah making this trade for a better shot at Jimmer.

coyotes_geek
02-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Utah obviously didn't want to keep or didn't think they would be able to keep Deron. That being the case, I think they did pretty good.

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Not wanting to keep Deron is weird. You just lost your hall of fame coach and NOW you pull the trigger? I really do think that Jimmer being in the next draft is playing a huge role in this.

Spurs Brazil
02-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Agree, Nets still sucks and now Jazz sucks as much as the Nets. And with Sloan gone Jazz will be a bad team for a while

kaji157
02-23-2011, 02:25 PM
So now the Jazz have Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Derrick Favors to fill their frontline.
Maybe another trade is coming.

Dex
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
:lol at all those who were rushing to defend DWill and said Sloan was the problem.

Obviously, the Jazz organization (just like their legendary coach) didn't quite feel the same way. I think there's probably a whole lot more that went down that we'll never know about....but I have a hard time believing Williams was the good guy throughout it all.

mingus
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
NJ blew before the trade and they'll blow after it. Utah has a pretty nice frontcourt rotation for the next few years if Favors can pan out. Harris is a really good PG.

MannyIsGod
02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
So because the Jazz organization didn't feel the same that makes it absolute? Williams was likely a douche but its also pretty obvious the Jazz organization has a solid hand in letting the situation get to where it was. For one, THEY are the ones who didn't let Sloan suspend Williams.

What if they do, Williams gets a message, and they keep their hall of fame coach? This trade doesn't somehow cement that the Jazz upper management has likely fucked up a lot this year and in fact letting their hall of fame coach go because of a player only to turn around and trade that player could be viewed as just one more fuck up.

Dex
02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Meanwhile, the chance of the Spurs dealing with Harris in the playoffs again just went up exponentially. Hopefully he won't be as much of a pest without Turtlehead Terry and the Nowitzki-borg at his side.

mingus
02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Utah did the right thing. Favors stock is low but I think he'll end up being one of the top PFs in the next few years. Deron wasn't going to stay and I don't think they wanted to deal with all the drama of where he wants to go (ala Melo and Bron).

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
So because the Jazz organization didn't feel the same that makes it absolute? Williams was likely a douche but its also pretty obvious the Jazz organization has a solid hand in letting the situation get to where it was. For one, THEY are the ones who didn't let Sloan suspend Williams.

What if they do, Williams gets a message, and they keep their hall of fame coach? This trade doesn't somehow cement that the Jazz upper management has likely fucked up a lot this year and in fact letting their hall of fame coach go because of a player only to turn around and trade that player could be viewed as just one more fuck up.

Their FO has to take their share of blame.

The recent personnel decisions (who to keep and who to let walk) they've made with regard to Millsap, Brewer, Okur, Korver, Matthews, and Boozer led to the recent situations with Sloan and Williams.

02-23-2011, 04:06 PM
WTF, did not see this coming. this is a franchise killing move for utah. williams has a larger potential impact than carmelo. nets made a great move.