PDA

View Full Version : What's your definition of a bandwagon fan?

IceColdBrewski
06-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm just curious because we seem to have a whole shitload of people on this forum who throw that term out everytime someone doesn't put on a cheerleader outfit like they do. It's clear that these people have no idea what a bandwagon fan even is. Let's clear this up once and for all so that every pom-pom waiving cheerleader type stops shoving this term down our throats everytime they hear something other than 100% positive.

mookie2001
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
those who cant describe the games of terry cummings, jr reid, will purdue and jack haley, among other assorted spurs bigman besides tim and david

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
IMO, it is the kind of person that stops rooting for a team when adversity strikes. To me, there is nothing wrong with being critical of your favorite team. I don't agree with everything Popovich does and when the Spurs play like shit, I will say so. My loyalty never waivers.

FearDaFro
06-01-2005, 03:45 PM
anyone that is less of a fan when their team isn't winning. Pretty cut and dry.

Ishta
06-01-2005, 03:45 PM
those who cant describe the games of terry cummings, jr reid, will purdue and jack haley, among other assorted spurs bigman besides tim and david

:lol I loved TC, and JR Reid...That seems like ancient history! I wonder what happened to those two....And Big Dog Antoine Carr!

SWC Bonfire
06-01-2005, 03:47 PM
"I'm disowning this team"

"Time to give up"

"Tim Duncan sucks"

etc.

SWC Bonfire
06-01-2005, 03:48 PM
....And Big Dog Antoine Carr!

The REAL "Big Dog" for any Spurs fan.

mouse
06-01-2005, 03:55 PM
It's a so called Eagles fan who waits two days after that embarassing loss to post :lmao

BillsCarnage
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Half the fans in this forum judging by some of the posts i've read.

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Fans that root for a team that is championship ready and then leaving them for another team that is championship ready. Bulls and Lakers fans.

nickbroken
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
It's a so called Eagles fan who waits two days after that embarassing loss to post :lmao

Took the cops that long to talk him down off the ledge. :lol

tlongII
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
99% of the posters on this board.

mavsfan1000
06-01-2005, 04:04 PM
I would have to agree. I doubt there would be as many spurs fans if they were losing.

FearDaFro
06-01-2005, 04:05 PM
ouch. Them's fightin' words....

then again, I don't recall there being many mavs fans between the aguirre and cuban eras.....

Ishta
06-01-2005, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't count on it....Spurs fans get a little "excited" at times, but they are the most die hard fans you'll find anywhere.

nkdlunch
06-01-2005, 04:08 PM

you're definitely not a bandwagon fan. Your team doesn't have a wagon, they traded it for some chronic and a pack of blunts a looong time ago :smokin

MadDog73
06-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm a bandwagon fan. :lol

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I would have to agree. I doubt there would be as many spurs fans if they were losing.

Not being Spurs fans, I understand why you would both be way off. Ishta said it best....like any team, the Spurs have their share of "doom and gloom"-ers. But on this forum there are some that get a little anxious but they don't stop rooting for SA. You can be paranoid and still loyal! :)

Ishta
06-01-2005, 04:11 PM
you're definitely not a bandwagon fan. Your team doesn't have a wagon, they traded it for some chronic and a pack of blunts a looong time ago :smokin

:lol

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2005, 04:29 PM
A bandwagon fan is someonje who barely pays attention to reg. season games.. maybe cathing like 10 on TV... then gets all excited and involved if we make it into the post season tlaking all kinds of smack about how great this team is that they hardly know anythign about , just spouting stuff they read on ESPN... and then jumps ship as soon as the team losses.

A fan is a fan in good times adn in bad.. it's like a marriage, you can't pick and choose.

BillsCarnage
06-01-2005, 05:16 PM
A bandwagon fan is someonje who barely pays attention to reg. season games.. maybe cathing like 10 on TV... then gets all excited and involved if we make it into the post season tlaking all kinds of smack about how great this team is that they hardly know anythign about , just spouting stuff they read on ESPN... and then jumps ship as soon as the team losses.

Yup, sounds like half to 99% of this board.

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 05:18 PM

Another ignorant blanket statement....I had high hopes for you too.

ALVAREZ6
06-01-2005, 05:18 PM
We've been talking about our team before the season started....we never leave actually.

Where did you get this info?

You've only been here since the Suns met up with the Spurs in the WV finals....

timvp
06-01-2005, 05:19 PM
A poster who bashes the team's point guard when he play poorly and can't be found when he plays well.

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 05:20 PM
You've only been here since the Suns met up with the Spurs in the WV finals....

true.

SouthernFried
06-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm a Basketball fan first...a Spurs fan second.

When they suck, I'll watch someone else who's playing better basketball. When they're playing well, I'm behind them cuz they're my home team.

I've been watching Spurs basketball since Gervin came over. I've had season tickets in the hemisphere and Alamodome.

I no longer watch much of the regular season, cuz I ain't got the time for it. After close to 30 yrs of watching 80+ games a year...a decade of spending as many as 3 nights a week going to games...I'm just a little bit tired :)

I only pay attention these days during the playoffs.

I'm a bandwagoneer I guess :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-01-2005, 05:25 PM

A fan is a fan in good times adn in bad.. it's like a marriage, you can't pick and choose.

That's pretty good, but I think bandwaggoners come in two classes: short and long-term. You nailed the short-term wagon riders.

I think there are some long-term bandwagonners who have followed the Spurs success since 1999 and can't understand why every season isn't a repeat of that championship run. These folks are along for the ride until the gravy train stalls out.

I had a friend who was a "die-hard" Bulls fan through their six championship seasons, but now he couldn't name 4 players from their roster.

See who still posts in here during a season in which the Spurs don't make the playoffs and you'll know who the real fans are. Tons of "die-hard" Spurs fans will disappear as soon as the Spurs have an average season.

IceColdBrewski
06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
A poster who bashes the team's point guard when he play poorly and can't be found when he plays well.

Just remember that you're the one who tried to turn this into another Parker thread.

And for the record. I'm here when he has good games and bad. You spend too much time listening to T-Park.

IceColdBrewski
06-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Well this just proves my point. So many responses and Obiwan is the only one to get it right.

Your typical Spurs bandwagon fan doesn't even pay attention to the team until somebody mentions the word "playoffs". Then all of the sudden he's right there at the water cooler trying to tell you how good that "Geeno-billy" guy is when all he ever did before was nod his head and walk away whenever you brought up the Spurs. They usually can't tell you the names of more than 2 or 3 players at the most.

People. Please stop using this term whenever somebody says something critical about the team. You sound like idiots.

duncan_21
06-01-2005, 06:57 PM

What if the only way you can watch reg. season games is thru tnt or espn. I'm guessing that I saw around 10-15 reg. season games on national broadcasts. Doesn't help that I live in iowa.

However I read articles and pay attention to them on the net. I for one am not a bandwagon fan, I've been a fan since '90. I couldn't jump on the bulls bandwagon when I began to love basketball. Boy did that payoff during the last 6 years.

johndraegerhhs
06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Well my definition of a bandwagoner is someone who give up after 1 game loss they give up and land on their ankles when they fall off

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 07:30 PM
People. Please stop using this term whenever somebody says something critical about the team. You sound like idiots.

I pretty much said the same thing. How was my answer wrong?

IMO, it is the kind of person that stops rooting for a team when adversity strikes. To me, there is nothing wrong with being critical of your favorite team. I don't agree with everything Popovich does and when the Spurs play like shit, I will say so. My loyalty never waivers.

Duff McCartney
06-01-2005, 07:41 PM
http://www.msu.edu/user/steinbr1/pooh/images/disney/pooh13.jpg

And...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1065000/images/_1065961_300mouse.jpg

cqsallie
06-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Well my definition of a bandwagoner is someone who give up after 1 game loss they give up and land on their ankles when they fall off
Good definition! There are people who don't care throughout the season and their ears pick up when the likes of Bill Walton start waxing eloquent about the "amazing skills" of Tim Duncan, the "extraterrestrial manuevers" of Manu Ginobilli, the "slash and cut to the basket" of Tony Parker.
Bandwagon fans only know what they read in the papers or hear from big-name sportscasters. They go along with the hype. By the same token, if a team falls out of a favor with the bigs, they go along with that as well.
Bandwagon fans don't make up their own minds. They also are not the people who will listen to a game on a squalling battery-operated radio when the satellite goes out in a storm - or sit in the driveway listening to the tailend of a game rather than miss a second by chancing a run into the house.
I also think a diehard fan is one who puts him/herself through the agony of watching a loss over again in an effort to see what went wrong without all the agony of not knowing the outcome.
The guys who hop on the bandwagon are the ones who like the celebration party, but don't like having to put up the decorations.
Peace and love... :elephant

travis2
06-02-2005, 07:20 AM

I agree.

On the other hand, quit making being critical of the team some patriotic duty of the "true fan".

Most of the critics around here are idiots.

Vashner
06-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Also Bandwagon fan's don't follow the Spurs all season... watch / listen to Pre-season games. Monitor training camp every night on the news recaps. etc..

That's a Spur fan... anything else is bandwagon...

sa_butta
06-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Anyone who quites on their team after a bad game or in this case playoff series and continues to root for an opposing favored team.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Anyone who picked the Suns to win the series after they won game 4. It would be a lot easier to pick these guys out of a crowd. I think the easiest way to spot the bandwagoners is that they talk the loudest only when the team loses and most of the stuff they say is lifted from ESPN analysts. There's no problem with being critical of your team but when the only time you really talk about them is to bitch then you're really not a fan. Or at least that's what Dr. Phil says.

angel_luv
06-02-2005, 09:21 AM

that doesn't necessarily make them a bandwagoner. It could just make them young.

Fouled Out
06-02-2005, 09:30 AM
A Fan that only comes out when the Spurs are in the playoffs and was not with them the entire season. One who never wore t-shirts, caps or anything relating to the team. Now buys up the whole store, getting their hands on anything just to say , yeah I am a fan. Sure you are. One who can't even name the line up including the bench as well as the past great players the Spurs had. :huh :td :nerd

SpursChampsIII
06-02-2005, 09:37 AM

Lottery

SpursChampsIII
06-02-2005, 09:39 AM

I see the same on some Phoenix boards. Another misinformed, title-less Suns fan.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
those who cant describe the games of terry cummings, jr reid, will purdue and jack haley

Jack Haley didn't have any game, unless by game you mean waving towels and stroking Dennis Rodman's ego.

johnny00
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Your typical Spurs bandwagon fan doesn't even pay attention to the team until somebody mentions the word "playoffs". Then all of the sudden he's right there at the water cooler trying to tell you how good that "Geeno-billy" guy is when all he ever did before was nod his head and walk away whenever you brought up the Spurs. They usually can't tell you the names of more than 2 or 3 players at the most.

True.

These are the same people that have bought every cheap rag that they can at the corner vendor, and claim to be a true fan because they've wasted more money than anyone else in town.

GoSpurs21
06-02-2005, 01:19 PM
icecold and mouse are classic examples of bandwagon fans

LugNutz
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I jumped on the bandwagon in '89, when i went to my first game at the icehouse, and saw Kareem retire...

<------Noobi Posts..... :lol

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Jack Haley didn't have any game, unless by game you mean waving towels and stroking Dennis Rodman's ego.

it wasn't just his ego.

bigzak25
06-02-2005, 05:06 PM
aka 'jack' haley. :lol

skibop22
06-02-2005, 05:19 PM
WOW !!!, I must be a closet bandwaggoner, I thought I was a fan, watched all the games I could, if I couldnt watch, I listened on the radio, but yall say to be fan I have to monitor the preseason, post on this forum over 2000 times, be on this forum 365 days year, well...I do love basketball, I do like the spurs (since 1990), thats when I moved here, BUT, I do have a life other than basketball. With all that said, I really think yall need help....

hendrix
06-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Also Bandwagon fan's don't follow the Spurs all season... watch / listen to Pre-season games. Monitor training camp every night on the news recaps. etc..
That's a Spur fan... anything else is bandwagon...

You should probably live a little bit too.
And this "bandwagon" thing makes me laugh. Compared to the way some sports (like soccer as you call it) are lived in south america and europe, the "true fan" concept of yours is lame.
I mean, i know that a lot of the "die hard fans" ("hichas", "barra-bravas", "ultras", "hooligans", etc... ) are criminals or at least dont respect their own lives and LIVE and DIE for their teams... but come on, you think going "go spurs go" is something to be used against what you call bandwagoners.
Dont get me wrong... anything more than following your team to everywhere they play is not healthy.
In the other hand, there are some people rooting for different teams every year, and well, i just feel sorry for them... they miss the anger of losing :)

samikeyp
06-02-2005, 05:28 PM
its simple really....a true fan always roots for their team, win or lose. Does this mean you have to not have a life? no. It doesn't matter if you have season tickets and paint yourself silver or if you don't. As long as you stay loyal to your team. Its the definition of loyalty that I think mixes people up. To some loyalty means having season tickets....does that mean those who don't aren't loyal? no. If you were there when the Spurs didn't make the playoffs like you where when the Spurs won championships...then you are a true fan. Its easy to root for a team when they are winning...it takes more to do so when they are not. If you stop rooting for a team because they started losing...then you are a bandwagoner.

milkyway21
06-03-2005, 12:39 AM
a fan who doubts the capacity of the coach to get things done and has more respect for the coach of the other team than his favorite team? :rolleyes

or;

someone who says the star player is tradeable bec another has emerged he thinks is a better player?