02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
It happens again.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/james_anderson_recalled_110223.html

spurs_2108
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Just saw the news! good stuff.

Cry Havoc
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Man, I hope he can step in and give us 10-15 good minutes per game. Would be an awesome asset to have in the playoffs.

lefty
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Fuck Yes !!!!

Finally :tu

He played well for the Spurs before his injury

Now that we are rolling, I'm wondering how he will be worked back in the rotation

bigdog
02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
I figured he would stay with the Toros for the rest of the season. Maybe Pop and crew plan on using him a little.

boutons_deux
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Come on, James, the 26-game homestretch of the Drive For Five starts tonight.

(and see somebody about getting your skeleton strengthened, bone density increased. chronic fractures aren't normal for a young professional athlete)

DesignatedT
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Surprised they picked up another 10 day on Novak tbh after hearing this news.

Mugen
02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
the balance of power has once again shifted back west. booyah.

great news, tbh.

DesignatedT
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
the balance of power has once again shifted back west. booyah.

great news, tbh.

:lol

tdunk21
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
just saw it and was about to create a thread about this....

good news

splitter's status for OKC game is uncertain, but jeff mcdonald reports both anderson and splitter practiced with the team.....

PBEEZY
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
the balance of power has once again shifted back west. Booyah.

Great news, tbh.

lmaooooooooo

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
just saw it and was about to create a thread about this....

good news

splitter's status for OKC game is uncertain, but jeff mcdonald reports both anderson and splitter practiced with the team.....

Great news about both.
If there was an "X" factor this year for the Spurs, it would have to be Anderson and Splitter! :hat :flag:

Bruno
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
It's possible that Spurs want to evaluate him in a NBA game before the trade deadline to determine whether or not they need to do a trade for a backup SF.

DesignatedT
Would love to see an increase workload for Hill and Anderson and let Manu play under 30 mpg from here on out. We can afford to lose a few games so we shouldn't start pushing Manu too hard IMO.

tdunk21
It's possible that Spurs want to evaluate him in a NBA game before the trade deadline to determine whether or not they need to do a trade for a backup SF.

do u think he will be traded if things dont work out as expected?

lefty
02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Who could the Spurs offer for a backup SF?

lefty
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Bonner + McDyess
Dice?

Is my sarcasm detector off ?

Mel_13
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Bonner + McDyess

:lol

Sure, Duncan can still play 40 mpg.

DesignatedT
02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Splitter,Quinn,Anderson picks seem like possible assets to trade. I don't see us moving anyone tbh but I couldn't see us parting ways with anyone other then those guys.

lefty
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Splitter,Quinn,Anderson picks seem like possible assets to trade. I don't see us moving anyone tbh but I couldn't see us parting ways with anyone other then those guys.
IDK why, but I have the feeling we could somehow use Splitter in the postseason.

Some D, or to protect our starting big men from foul trouble

Bruno
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
do u think he will be traded if things dont work out as expected?

I don't think he will be traded while he has some upside but no trade value because of his injury.

IMO, Spurs two options are :
- Giving back the backup SF spot to James Anderson.
- Do a minor trade with Quinn+incentives for a low salary SF.

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I thought Dyess had a huge trade kicker that pretty much discouraged him being traded.

lefty
02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't think he will be traded while he has some upside but no trade value because of his injury.

:hat

xmas1997
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM

I could see this happening especially if the Spurs aren't happy with Andersons' recovery process.

benefactor
I think they are going to have to anyway...whether it be a trade or a buyout. Between being a rookie and missing the amount of time he has, I seems unlikely that Anderson is going to help much in the playoffs this year.

DesignatedT
IDK why, but I have the feeling we could somehow use Splitter in the postseason.

Yeah I agree. I could see Splitter and Anderson being able to contribute in a smaller role. It's going to be interesting to see how Pop plays Splitter these last 25 games. It should give us an idea of if he plans to use him in the playoffs or not.

Are there any possible SF prospects expected to get bought out or are already Free Agents? If they don't feel Anderson is capable of performing the role this season then that's the route I would see us going.

urunobili
02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Manu needs rest and the Spurs need to check if the kid can contribute at backup SF.

Welcome back to the big club JA! :)

timtonymanu
02-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I would hate to see JA go. The kid has a lot of potential and it would be too soon to trade him.

It's good to see him back though. I'm hoping that he makes the most of his opportunity.

Bruno
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
I think they are going to have to anyway...whether it be a trade or a buyout. Between being a rookie and missing the amount of time he has, I seems unlikely that Anderson is going to help much in the playoffs this year.

Anderson was damn good before he got injured and was doing very little rookie mistakes.

If he can get back in good shape and play 20-25 regular season games, I think he will be fine for the playoffs.

Mugen
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Definitely can use Splitter.

Especially in a series against PHX where they are going to try and pick n roll us to death.

He can be extremely valuable to keep Dice/Tim fresh for the 4th if Blair/Bonner are getting abused on the block.

Bartleby
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Manu needs rest and the Spurs need to check if the kid can contribute at backup SF.

This is what I'm thinking/hoping. Tony could probably use a little more rest as well.

lefty
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Considering the fact that we are much deeper than last season, I think Pop can afford to work him back into the rotation in a gradual manner.

Which is a good thing, as rushing him back in a major role would be a huge mistake.

Moreover, you can't evaluate his real contribution to this team based on the first 3-5 games (but he was playing well for us before his injury, so Pop may have high expectations)

Mugen
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Spurs best chance at a backup 3 is hoping to get JA back into shape and contributing.

A newly acquired player may take just as long getting used to the system as JA will take to get back into game shape.

Ditty
02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Probably means no trade is coming, or whatever the spurs tried getting didn't work still hope spurs pick up a pure scorer for whoever is bought out

DesignatedT
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Probably means no trade is coming, or whatever the spurs tried getting didn't work still hope spurs pick up a pure scorer for whoever is bought out

scorer? our offense looks pretty good if you ask me. It's the defense that is a concern.

Darkwaters
02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
If we're going to acquire another player as a backup SF I want Tracy McGrady. Hes a vet with a lot of ability still but who knows hes in the twilight of his career and hes a role player now. Plus, it'll be nice for him to actually make the second round, you know, before he retires.

He can legitimately play the 1-3 as well, so losing Quinn wouldn't be as big of a deal. Heck, if Quinn gets bought out then they could even bring him back if they wanted.

lefty
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
If we're going to acquire another player as a backup SF I want Tracy McGrady. Hes a vet with a lot of ability still but who knows hes in the twilight of his career and hes a role player now. Plus, it'll be nice for him to actually make the second round, you know, before he retires.

He can legitimately play the 1-3 as well, so losing Quinn wouldn't be as big of a deal. Heck, if Quinn gets bought out then they could even bring him back if they wanted.
If JA can contribute offensively, we might as well get a backup SF who can play D.
McGrady can't defend to save his life

Budkin
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Splitter + Anderson back in the lineup = fear us.

benefactor
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Anderson was damn good before he got injured and was doing very little rookie mistakes.

If he can get back in good shape and play 20-25 regular season games, I think he will be fine for the playoffs.
He was, but I feel like his simply missed too much time to be fully ready. I'd rather the Spurs have some insurance instead of crap shooting on Anderson.

rjv
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
just in time to trade him (j/k)

Bruno
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
He was, but I feel like his simply missed too much time to be fully ready. I'd rather the Spurs have some insurance instead of crap shooting on Anderson.

It depends on the cost of this insurance.

If Spurs can get a good SF for a second round pick or cash, going a trade seems like a no-brainer.

If Spurs need to trade a first round pick to get their backup SF, it's less evident. In this case, having a last look at Anderson tonight could be necessary before deciding to do or not a trade.

Ditty
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
scorer? our offense looks pretty good if you ask me. It's the defense that is a concern.

I feel our bench needs a scorer off the bench...I can't trust neal as a rookie and hill is inconsistent

Sure our defense needs helps but no one out there who we can afford, but I think we will be fine when duncan, and ginobili is playing mid 30 minutes in the playoffs

SpursRulez4eVeR
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
anderson has been a TO machine last few games with the toros, hope he doesn't f up too much if he gets the chance to play tonight.

Splits
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Splitter + Anderson back in the lineup = fear us.

I don't understand how this is going to work the next 10 days. If you have Splitman and JA and Novak that puts us at 13 and we can only dress 12. It is hard to see why they would resign Novak and then make him inactive. Since they've reactivated JA, it looks like Splitman is the odd man out. :(

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't understand how this is going to work the next 10 days. If you have Splitman and JA and Novak that puts us at 13 and we can only dress 12. It is hard to see why they would resign Novak and then make him inactive. Since they've reactivated JA, it looks like Splitman is the odd man out. :(

The Spurs aren't choosing Novak over Splitter.

ohmwrecker
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Novak is just insurance so they can bring JA back and evaluate him and see if the kid can contribute going forward. I expect to see Novak in street clothes until they make a decision about Anderson. They need Anderson and Splitter a whole lot more than Novak.

jb4g
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
anderson has been a TO machine last few games with the toros, hope he doesn't f up too much if he gets the chance to play tonight.

I noticed this as well, but in fairness it seemed he was handling the ball ALOT more than he will back with the Spurs.

Dex
02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Dengit, I had tickets to the Toros game this Saturday to see this guy. :pctoss

Splits
02-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Dengit, I had tickets to the Toros game this Saturday to see this guy. :pctoss

Cousin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Fireball
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
This year is the last chance for a title run ... seeing the problems new players have to adapt to the Spurs system midseason trades will help nothing to improve the team. A healthy Splitter and Anderson should help enough in the playoffs where the rotations shorten anyway ...

JR3
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
This year is the last chance for a title run ... seeing the problems new players have to adapt to the Spurs system midseason trades will help nothing to improve the team. A healthy Splitter and Anderson should help enough in the playoffs where the rotations shorten anyway ...

I agree. we have to win it this year. If we win it next year we will get crap for on winning it in a lockout season again. Not happening.

rjv
02-23-2011, 04:13 PM
anderson just needs to get back in shape ASAP and so i think now we will see some 8 to 10 minute stints from him provided he shows glimpses of his old self in the process.

by the way, any word on splitters hamstring from anyone ?

Rummpd
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
It is amazing the Spurs are 46 and 10 with minimal contributions from their top two rookies going into the season. Anderson has a huge upside and would love to see him play some the last 26 games!

TD21-FTW
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Great news!

Beau
02-23-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm a big fan of Anderson. Think he's gonna be really good moving forward, borderline star... not All-Star. Just a real pro offensive game at the 2/3 and he's got the tools and coaching to become a pretty decent player on the other end as well.

But... my friend mentioned something yesterday that I'd definitely explore. I'd gauge Denver's interest in Anderson and a pick for Aflallo. Better win-now play for the Spurs and Anderson's talent and contract may be of greater value to the Nuggets now as they rebuild.

Would've liked T-Mac before the season but I'm skeptical a player as ball dominant as he is could come in and contribute as well as would be needed at this stage of the game. But if you're going to go the buyout route... WTF? I'd roll the dice on him.

xellos88330
02-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Time to see what the kid is made of.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
It'll be nice to see if he has an extra gear that he didn't seem to have in Austin.

UnWantedTheory
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Time to see what the kid is made of.

Bruno
02-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Well, I guess Spurs staff wasn't that interested in getting a last look at him before the trade deadline...

ChuckD
02-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Surprised they picked up another 10 day on Novak tbh after hearing this news.

Why? They have to carry 13 on their roster, and Novak is #13. Having Anderson in Austin has no effect on the big club roster, he's just inactive for the games he's there.

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I hope Pop begins to work Anderson in - especially against inferior opponents. It's obvious that Ginobili is playing too many minutes and it's really starting to show in his production. JA could be a big help here.

benefactor
02-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Would've liked T-Mac before the season but I'm skeptical a player as ball dominant as he is could come in and contribute as well as would be needed at this stage of the game. But if you're going to go the buyout route... WTF? I'd roll the dice on him.
I was actually more skeptical before the season. He's played surprisingly well. I've watched him in Detroit quite a bit and he has done a nice job at playing team ball and taking what is given to him. He's also shooting the ball better than he has since his Orlando days and he's looked especially good over the last month.

But as I said in another thread...he's not going anywhere unless he tells Detroit to let him go so he can sign with a contender. He's starting for them now and they are pretty high on him.

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I was actually more skeptical before the season. He's played surprisingly well. I've watched him in Detroit quite a bit and he has done a nice job at playing team ball and taking what is given to him. He's also shooting the ball better than he has since his Orlando days and he's looked especially good over the last month.

But as I said in another thread...he's not going anywhere unless he tells Detroit to let him go so he can sign with a contender. He's starting for them now and they are pretty high on him.

I guess he had something left "in the tank" after all.