PDA

View Full Version : Bill Duffy (Nash's agent) hints at the obvious that it's time for a trade

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 04:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110211-13/latest-trade-chatter
"Steve is a Phoenix Sun and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he's the face of that franchise," Bill Duffy, Nash's longtime agent, told ESPN.com this week. "But logic dictates that it would be prudent for the Suns to start looking at their long-term future in the summer, so we would expect that they may entertain moving him during the summer. We are ready for that and we anticipate a very respectful process if they decide to look at starting over with a younger core." Old article but it hasn't been posted and it's not front page news anymore given how shitty the Suns are. Of course, Nash has since said he had nothing to do with his agent's comments, which is bullshit. No way Nash's agent makes those kinda comments without talking to Nash first. At this point, everyday Nash remains a Sun it becomes more comical. Nash obviously wants a trade, the team is going nowhere, but Sarver will happily keep a disgruntled player who's impeding the rebuilding process because said player is the only reason anyone continues to show up to games. Unless Sarver sells the team or a stud falls into their lap in the draft, the mere existence of this franchise post-Nash could be in trouble.

lefty
02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Nash for Luke Walton

Do it Mitch

Xylus
02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Unless some team calls up the Suns FO and makes a stunning offer for Josh Childress or Hakim Warrick, they won't be making any moves before the deadline. At this point in the season, it looks like the Suns could make the playoffs, but for what reason? To get stomped by the Spurs in the 1st round?

The Suns are going to hold on to Nash as long as they possibly can, at least until Nash publicly requests a trade.

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Unless some team calls up the Suns FO and makes a stunning offer for Josh Childress or Hakim Warrick, they won't be making any moves before the deadline. At this point in the season, it looks like the Suns could make the playoffs, but for what reason? To get stomped by the Spurs in the 1st round?

The Suns are going to hold on to Nash as long as they possibly can, at least until Nash publicly requests a trade.

Yeah there's no way he gets moved before the deadline. However, if they miss the playoffs though and the Suns drag their feet considering the possibility of trading Nash, I don't think Duffy is gonna be as classy and indirect with his 2nd warning as he was with this one.

rickross
02-23-2011, 05:06 PM

The Suns are going to hold on to Nash as long as they possibly can, at least until Nash publicly requests a trade this week.

fixxxed.

rickross
02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah there's no way he gets moved before the deadline. However, if they miss the playoffs though and the Suns drag their feet considering the possibility of trading Nash, I don't think Duffy is gonna be as classy and indirect with his 2nd warning as he was with this one.

i think you're in a tough spot. You cant take cuz talent is shit in dis draft and nash IS gonna leave if he has ANY interest in a ring. I frankly dont know wats best 4 da suns... sarver really fucked u guys up.

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
i think you're in a tough spot. You cant take cuz talent is shit in dis draft and nash IS gonna leave if he has ANY interest in a ring. I frankly dont know wats best 4 da suns... sarver really fucked u guys up.

What's best for the Suns, IMO, is not worrying as much about getting talent back in exchange for Nash (esp. since they won't get much) and focusing on trying to unload Frye, Warrick and/or Childress. Those 3 contracts hinder their rebuilding process. If they can trade Nash and get rid of 2 outa those 3 contracts, then it's a great trade. They had a good future if Sarver didn't decide to dismantle the team and the fans didn't decide to approve of it, but at this point, that's over with, and it's all about clearing cap and stockpiling talent for lack of a better option.

Xylus
02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
It's fucking infuriating that the Suns aren't making any moves right now. What is the point in keeping sadsack Vince Carter on the roster, when Jared Dudley has been far more important to the team? Trade his expiring contract for something, anything.

crc21209
02-23-2011, 05:58 PM
He's not going anywhere right now...

Cry Havoc
02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
It's fucking infuriating that the Suns aren't making any moves right now. What is the point in keeping sadsack Vince Carter on the roster, when Jared Dudley has been far more important to the team? Trade his expiring contract for something, anything.

I think a lot of teams are kind of looking at it like, "What's the point?" Nothing they do right now can possibly get them close to even being a top 8 team in the NBA. It's been that way in the past, but the stakes are high right now with the salaries escalating and teams losing money. We can only hope the new contract that goes into place gives the smaller teams at least a snowball's chance to compete.

8FOR!3
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Meh, I think we should make a move for Nash tbh. He's a clear upgrade over Quinn for 3rd string trash minutes PG.

baseline bum
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
I think a lot of teams are kind of looking at it like, "What's the point?" Nothing they do right now can possibly get them close to even being a top 8 team in the NBA. It's been that way in the past, but the stakes are high right now with the salaries escalating and teams losing money. We can only hope the new contract that goes into place gives the smaller teams at least a snowball's chance to compete.

Huh? One of the smallest markets has the best record in the league.

Cry Havoc
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Huh? One of the smallest markets has the best record in the league.

Exception != rule.

Unless you know of any other small market teams that plan on landing the greatest ever at a particular position in the next few years?

baseline bum
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Exception != rule.

Unless you know of any other small market teams that plan on landing the greatest ever at a particular position in the next few years?

Cleveland was a small market that got 6 years of competition even being horribly mismanaged.

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 06:23 PM

The last thing they need is another bad contract, I'd rather them just buy him out since watching him play is beyond frustrating.

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 06:28 PM
It's gotten really fuckin irritating hearing people say "They owe it to Nash to trade him to a contender :cry". They owe it to the fans to get the best deal possible for Nash, and nothing more.

Xylus
02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
It's gotten really fuckin irritating hearing people say "They owe it to Nash to trade him to a contender :cry". They owe it to the fans to get the best deal possible for Nash, and nothing more.

Agreed, I've been saying this for awhile now. If trading Nash to a contender means that the Suns get a worse deal, then it's a bad deal.

Thompson
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM

That, and Nash signed up for this; he knew the direction the Suns were heading when he signed the extension, and did it anyway. He can't really complain now when the expected happens.

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
That, and Nash signed up for this; he knew the direction the Suns were heading when he signed the extension, and did it anyway. He can't really complain now when the expected happens.

I can't give this post enough :tus. Nash chose financial security at an opportunity cost of being able to chose his team last summer. He made his bed, now it's time to sleep in it, which in this case means being at the mercy of whatever team Phoenix can trade him to.

baseline bum
02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
It's not like Nash has played his whole career there or took less. Everyone thought the Suns were crazy for offering him the contract that lured him out of Dallas, and no one else was going to pay him that deal. Phoenix doesn't owe him anything other than his remaining contract.

Kyle Orton
02-23-2011, 06:51 PM
It's not like Nash has played his whole career there or took less. Everyone thought the Suns were crazy for offering him the contract that lured him out of Dallas, and no one else was going to pay him that deal. Phoenix doesn't owe him anything other than his remaining contract.

The Nash fanboys in Phoenix don't understand this simple concept. I had a conversation with my neighbor (in Tucson but you get the point) about it, and his opinion was saying, "I know it might be time to rebuild, but I'll be sad if Nash doesn't retire as a Sun" in a really pathetic, annoying, emotional way that made me wanna stuff him back in his mom's cooch and then perform an abortion.