PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili can't hit a rainbow

Martin R
02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
He's fatigued or something but his shooting is NOT NBA level right now.

GabeIsGone
02-23-2011, 09:07 PM
His shot is officially MIA.

SenorSpur
02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
and he should officially stop taking 3's - at least for this game.

itzsoweezee
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
it's officially time to panic. ginobili looks a shell of the player he was early in the season.

DPG21920
02-23-2011, 09:35 PM
TP saves the day. Manu with a wild shot. I am surprised TP didn't run the clock.

jestersmash
02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
TP saves the day. Manu with a wild shot. I am surprised TP didn't run the clock.

There was 5 on the shot clock. Manu's shot didn't even hit the rim.

urunobili

shotclock was down to three the ball never touched the rim

Arc

shot clock was at 5.

jestersmash
02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Too slow.

DPG21920
02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Where was the shot clock at?

it's me
02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
trade his ass... we still have time

DAF86
02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Manu > Rainbows

Barfunk
02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
From what I see, he is not mixing it up AT ALL. He is addicted to that 3 point shot. He needs to taper himself off that shit or just stop cold turkey. He is not taking it to the rim anymore and that is his forte.

jestersmash
02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
It's not fatigue with Ginobili. It's not like he makes all of his shots at the beginning of game and misses at the end. His shot is fundamentally off across the board.

If I were a betting man, I'd say there's something wrong with his shooting arm (elbow? wrist? both? something else entirely?). I saw him wear some sort of brace on his shooting arm during a game a couple of games ago pre-all star break. He hasn't worn it since. What was that about?

ElNono
02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Terrible outing tonight... no excuses. Surprised we won with him and Blair sucking a lot and Tony disappearing in the 2nd half...

8FOR!3
02-23-2011, 09:55 PM
His legs are under him. Something about his arm.

Manu-of-steel
02-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Terrible outing tonight... no excuses. Surprised we won with him and Blair sucking a lot and Tony disappearing in the 2nd half...

Our bench is stacked. We have Neal, Bonner, Hill, and Mcdyess clean the mess.

Spurologist
02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Manu's FG% is the worst it's been in 7 years but he'll be alright. He has had rough stretches that has brought down his FG% but that'll change come March and April.

DAF86
02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Manu has always had these stretches where he can't hit a shot to save his life, he'll get it back.

lil'mo
02-23-2011, 09:58 PM
cant hit a rainbow?

8FOR!3
02-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Manu has always had these stretches where he can't hit a shot to save his life, he'll get it back.

This.

HarlemHeat37
02-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Most people forget that Manu was a mediocre scorer for the entire 1st half of last season..he had a very hot 2nd half of the season, where he carried the Spurs, and peaked into the playoffs..

He cannot be relied upon to play the role of a #1 option, for an entire season..he's not the best player on this team(IMO), nor should he be, he's too old to play that type of role..

It's evident that Ginobili is saving his body for the playoffs, where he will hopefully find some balance in his game, play inside the paint more often..he has clearly made it a priority to save his body all season, waiting for the playoffs, the difference was that his jump shot was extremely wet for the first month and a half of the season..

The best case will be for Manu to tone down his game, at least for the moment..last year in the 1st half of the season, he was having the best passing stretch of his career, and that's what he should do now..he should play the PG role and shoot less..the priority will be for the Spurs to clinch HCA, so Manu will be rested for the last few weeks of the season..if he gets the proper amount of rest, he will be fine for the playoffs IMO..

Brazil
02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
I think Pop should try to let him off the bench during few weeks

DAF86
02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
BTW, he got robbed of a double-double tonight. He assisted Duncan on that goaltending in the second quarter but didn't get the credit for it.

Russ
02-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Wait till the money's on the table. :smokin

iminol
02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Remember last season? He had similar weeks with struggling on offence. Terrible % FG, and suddenly (no reason) he started beasting every night till Dirk's elbow. Hmmm.. Don't know how to call it.

ElNono
02-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Most people forget that Manu was a mediocre scorer for the entire 1st half of last season..he had a very hot 2nd half of the season, where he carried the Spurs, and peaked into the playoffs..

He cannot be relied upon to play the role of a #1 option, for an entire season..he's not the best player on this team(IMO), nor should he be, he's too old to play that type of role..

It's evident that Ginobili is saving his body for the playoffs, where he will hopefully find some balance in his game, play inside the paint more often..he has clearly made it a priority to save his body all season, waiting for the playoffs, the difference was that his jump shot was extremely wet for the first month and a half of the season..

The best case will be for Manu to tone down his game, at least for the moment..last year in the 1st half of the season, he was having the best passing stretch of his career, and that's what he should do now..he should play the PG role and shoot less..the priority will be for the Spurs to clinch HCA, so Manu will be rested for the last few weeks of the season..if he gets the proper amount of rest, he will be fine for the playoffs IMO..

He had team-high 9 assists tonight... at least that was working for him...

8FOR!3
02-23-2011, 10:13 PM
He's the worst player on the team tbh we need to cut him. No spot on the roster for him, that's PT Novak or Quinn could be having...

TD 21
02-23-2011, 10:27 PM

I don't think people forgot, that was more attributed to him "working off the rust", getting into game shape and collectively, the entire team having to get used to one another and in many cases, learn the system, since there were a lot of new faces.

I agree that he can't be a #1 option throughout the course of the grind that is the NBA season and that he's not the best player on the team, but this is beyond a slump at this point and beyond "pacing himself", too. He has shot the ball horribly for roughly two months now and this is with his minutes gradually decreasing. I also feel he's taken less bad shots in that time (though obviously, there's no way to prove or quantify that; it's subjective). He's shooting the second worst mark of his career from the field and from three, despite playing on a team with arguably the most scoring depth in the league.

Ginobili's struggles aside, this is the way it was supposed to be going into last season. Parker has emerged as the #1 option and is generally the guy carrying the offense, or at least coming as close to that as possible in what's essentially an equal opportunity offense. It just took a while for them to settle into this, since Ginobili started off this season picking up where he left off last season.

Beau
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
You can't hit a fucking rainbow. Impossible. It's fucking science.

ducks
02-23-2011, 10:56 PM

nothing new here

jestersmash
02-23-2011, 11:02 PM
nothing new here

ducks this isn't trolling now, it's just true. You have to make these comments when Ginobili is playing well. Don't ruin the shtick.

02-23-2011, 11:02 PM
popovich needs to drastically reduce manu's minutes back down to the 25 minute range. if this means moving him to the bench then so be it. ginobili has become fatigued/injured in the playoffs before and there's no reason to think that it won't happen again. therefore, either reduce his minutes or watch him tire out in the playoffs.

ducks
02-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I told people manu should not have went to allstar game!

Spurminator
02-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Parker sucked in the second half. I've never seen him miss so many layups. He was out of control, and was bailed out on calls several times.

He and Manu each had one big shot, fortunately.

reddog 99
02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Typical fan overreact. Calm down. I think Manu knows how to be Manu.

Dont put too much into each game.

This type of react should be reserved for playoff series.

I know i was glad he had the ball in his hands at the end of a game they (not we) won.

IMO

Cant_Be_Faded
02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
It's exactly this kind of shit that vindicates mookie's view of manu

DAF86
02-23-2011, 11:16 PM
It's exactly this kind of shit that vindicates mookie's view of manu

Regular season games?

Kori Ellis
02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Manu's FG% is the worst it's been in 7 years but he'll be alright. He has had rough stretches that has brought down his FG% but that'll change come March and April.

He's been shooting like crap since the end of November. It's not a rough stretch at this point. The ONLY month of the season that he shot above 41% was November.

I still think he's just fatigued, but maybe it's more than that.

ducks
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
he has been fatigued since nov?

if that is true spurs really over paid IMO

mingus
02-23-2011, 11:55 PM
His driving less to the basket is causing him to shoot a lower percentage from three and a lower percentage overall. I said this before and I'll say it again: Manu was not a pure shooter 9 years ago and he's not a pure shooter now. He's always built his game on his driving ability.

I still think he's an elite driver to the basket--when he wants to be. Right now he shouldn't want to drive though. It makes him more injury prone. He's doing the right thing right now by taking jumpers. It saves his body for the playoffs, when he will need to drive and his jumpshot will be secondary. This is what having a 6 game lead over the guys in second place affords him. This was the plan, wasn't it?

There's a couple things that evidence why I don't thing that his bad shooting has anything to do with fatigue (other than what I already said about him never being a great shooter in the true sense of the word):

1. Manu can still drive, and he can still get up in there and finish with the best of them. Maybe not like the Manu of old, but he still can. The latest example of that is in the Chicago game when he hammered it down. He was determined to get the rim and he was able to not only do that but go go up and dunk it with authority.That is the Manu we will see in the playoffs more than likely. In other games, esp. when the game is on the line he will drive to the basket and usually score. Take tonights game for example. He was 1/11 at one point, but with a couple minutes to go he drives and I think scores over Ibaka with a tough bank shot. He knew he had to score and he successfully got to the rim.

2. He has been on this so-called "slump" for a good 2 1/2 months. To the people who say his poor shooting now is due to fatigue: was he fatigued 2 1/2 months ago as well? No, he wasn't. It has nothing to do with his legs, and his more to do with him not getting easy buckets for himself.

3. Manu is demonstrating that he has his legs under him in other ways. For example, he's been soaring for rebounds. He's also been stealing the ball. If he was tired, you'd see it permeate every aspect of his game, which is not the case.

4. Manu has said he feels great. A couple weeks ago he said he felt great, why would he lie?

I think what Manu is doing to atone for his not shooting a high percentage is passin the ball well. Guys like Neal, Blair, and RJ are feeding of Manu. That'll only help in the playoffs.

I'm not worrying one bit.

DAF86
02-23-2011, 11:55 PM
he has been fatigued since nov?

if that is true spurs really over paid IMO

Spurs paid Manu to have at least one player that can hit FTs during crunch time, IMO.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2011, 12:00 AM
If Manu starts nailing 3's like gangbusters, all of this becomes irrelevant

Creation88
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Manu has been terrible all month: 35% FG% and 24% from 3pt.

it's time to put him back on the bench. his best game in Feb: against the Wizards off the bench.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
When was the last time Manu did NOT shoot 2-12?

Kori Ellis
02-24-2011, 12:18 AM
4. Manu has said he feels great. A couple weeks ago he said he felt great, why would he lie?

Actually a couple weeks ago, he said he was tired, bruised and banged up.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2011, 12:20 AM
"I’m a little banged up,” said Ginobili, who played with a padded black sleeve on his left bicep to protect a recurring bruise. “Aches and pains. Nothing that threatens the season, but they add up, and I needed a rest.”

Cane
02-24-2011, 12:29 AM
At least he was able to sink a layup and some FT's in the 4th of tonight's game. He's definitely been in one hell of a shooting funk though, likely fatigue and nagging regular season pains. Manu's also one hell of a streaky shooter and he's been shooting a lot of jumpers this season, probably an effort to save his body for the playoffs like the rest of the old guys.

Manu's reputation can backfire on him though. He's arguably been the Spurs best player for the past two seasons so he gets plenty of defensive attention from the opposing team. But he still manages to contribute in other ways at least, its great that the young Spurs players get to learn from Manu's hustle and unique game.

He's also been playing a decent amount of minutes at small forward which he can be significantly undersized for which likely equals more fatigue and more difficult shots. :depressed

2centsworth
02-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Horrible shooting night, but still able to make a critical shot and sink clutch fts down the stretch. Plus, he had 9asst. I want to bang on him, but he's contributing in other ways. Nevertheless, we don't sniff a championship with him shooting this way. He needs to be balla #1 for us to have a chance.

Trimble87
02-24-2011, 03:48 AM
He's been shooting like crap since the end of November. It's not a rough stretch at this point. The ONLY month of the season that he shot above 41% was November.

I still think he's just fatigued, but maybe it's more than that.

It may be fatigue, it may be a lack of confidence, it may just be a long slump. But Manu needs to realize he isn't shooting well and stop taking contested step back 3's. Manu takes 2-3 shots per game that make me yell "No!" at the TV. Its one thing when he's taking bad shots when he is in rythm.. but when he is playing like this he needs to slow down and let the game come to him.

8FOR!3
02-24-2011, 05:31 AM
He's also been playing a decent amount of minutes at small forward which he can be significantly undersized for which likely equals more fatigue and more difficult shots. :depressed

Correct, we need James Anderson to come back strong if he gets PT and take over the backup SF role again.

carina_gino20
02-24-2011, 06:39 AM
If I were a betting man, I'd say there's something wrong with his shooting arm (elbow? wrist? both? something else entirely?). I saw him wear some sort of brace on his shooting arm during a game a couple of games ago pre-all star break. He hasn't worn it since. What was that about?

After the Wizards game: (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/12/manu-able-to-rest-as-spurs-roll/)

“I’m a little banged up,” said Ginobili, who played with a padded black sleeve on his left bicep to protect a recurring bruise. “Aches and pains. Nothing that threatens the season, but they add up, and I needed a rest.”

Frankie23
02-24-2011, 07:10 AM
he is as tired as any player on the league. He's saving his body now, so he's not driving.
When he tries to work on his shot, he passes the ball (assist) and if not, he's shooting that low % 3. So, when he's hot, he will continue to shoot and create space..

smeagol
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
He grabbed a nice rebound with the game still on the line . . .

igruex
02-24-2011, 08:45 AM
"I’m a little banged up,” said Ginobili, who played with a padded black sleeve on his left bicep to protect a recurring bruise. “Aches and pains. Nothing that threatens the season, but they add up, and I needed a rest.”

If that was the case playing 8 min in just one game wouldn't help at all. I still think it's more of a confidence issue. He looks old but healthy which is better than the opposite to be honest.

He'll definitely bring it in the playoffs, he has the heart and the will to get over his body.

Warlord23
02-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Looking at the remaining schedule, I think Pop has a few stretches of consecutive games where he can consider sitting Manu.

Stretch 1: the next 4 games [NJ, MEM, @MEM, @ CLE] - gives Manu a break from Feb 24th (today) to March 3rd. That's 8 days of rest.

Stretch 2: 4 games between the LAL and DAL match-ups [DET, SAC, @HOU, @MIA]. This stretch gives Manu 11 days off (March 7th to March 17th).

Stretch 3: The last 4 games, assuming we clinch the West before that [SAC, UTA, @LAL, @PHO]. That gives him 8 days off plus the time till the playoffs start.

If I was Pop, I'd pick 2 out of those 3 stretches (IMO - stretches 1 and 3) to rest Manu. It may result in the Spurs forsaking the best record in the league, but I think we will still end up with HCA in the West. Plus, resting Manu means starting G-Hill and challenging him to break out of his recent slump.

ManuTastic
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Giving Hill a lot more of Manu's minutes for the stretch run does three things:
1- Saves us from Manu's horrible shooting slump (I think he should spend the night in jail for that backwards airball last night).
2- Rests Manu more for the playoffs, when he MUST be right.
3- Gives Hill playing time to get out of his HIS slump

It's Win-win-win. Do it.

GrandeDavid
02-24-2011, 09:24 AM
I think Pop should try to let him off the bench during few weeks

I agree with you.

GrandeDavid
02-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Looking at the remaining schedule, I think Pop has a few stretches of consecutive games where he can consider sitting Manu.

Stretch 1: the next 4 games [NJ, MEM, @MEM, @ CLE] - gives Manu a break from Feb 24th (today) to March 3rd. That's 8 days of rest.

Stretch 2: 4 games between the LAL and DAL match-ups [DET, SAC, @HOU, @MIA]. This stretch gives Manu 11 days off (March 7th to March 17th).

Stretch 3: The last 4 games, assuming we clinch the West before that [SAC, UTA, @LAL, @PHO]. That gives him 8 days off plus the time till the playoffs start.

If I was Pop, I'd pick 2 out of those 3 stretches (IMO - stretches 1 and 3) to rest Manu. It may result in the Spurs forsaking the best record in the league, but I think we will still end up with HCA in the West. Plus, resting Manu means starting G-Hill and challenging him to break out of his recent slump.

I definitely would like him to sit out a couple of games, and I hope that its the upcoming New Jersey game, perhaps also at Cleveland and maybe Memphis at home. Get George more time and also allow Anderson some floor time. But Ginobili really could use a few games off. And also, like you said, as soon as/if/when they clinch the #1 seed then you rest him.

elbamba
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
I would sit Manu at least a couple of games, maybe not consecutive games but maybe one game a week over the next couple of weeks. Something is wrong and it has been noticable for about a month.

Rummpd
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Start him but play him less minutes with J. Anderson back. Sit him down completely a couple of the backs to backs on the weaker game would also be fine with me. Would NOT reverse roles and put him on the bench.

BigVee
02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
A couple observations, one touched on, one not. He is defending the better players on each team much more than ever, and doing a very credible job. He plays Kobe a lot, he was on Durant last night, and as noted he gives away size and becomes fatigued. One thing I have noticed is that since he is the main guy on the second unit, often when the offense breaks down he finds himself with the ball and a short shot clock forcing him to take shots that are not in the flow of the offense. He is often off balance, falling backwards, etc., and those are very low percentage shots. Also, if you will notice he is almost always the guy who gets the ball at the end of quarters to take the 50 footers that have little chance yet count as attempts. His shot is definitely off but but part of the problem is because of what he is asked to do on the floor. My only complaint is the threes taken before the offense has started while in this slump. He'll be fine.

redzero
02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Damn, Ginobili is reaching almost Trevor Ariza-like levels of offensive ineptitude.

rjv
02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
i saw him scratching his head. i think he has a frontal lobe issue

mabrignani
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Pop doesnt want him to risk an injury goin to the basket. IMO pop told him to take it easy until playoffs

lazerelmo
02-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Two words .......Dante and Nicola........

Jimcs50
02-27-2011, 09:43 PM
He's fatigued or something but his shooting is NOT NBA level right now.

18-38 average 30.5 pts since this thread
:lol

ElNono
02-27-2011, 09:44 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/apbn5.jpg

Martin R
02-27-2011, 09:46 PM
well, today he played amazing. Let's see if this is not an off-curve point.

thispego
02-27-2011, 09:48 PM
lolololol "cant hit a rainbow"

what a mo you are marteen :lmao

BanditHiro
02-27-2011, 09:48 PM

his jumpshot still sucks though, but he finally finished at the rim

lefty
02-27-2011, 09:49 PM

:rollin