PDA

View Full Version : Battier for Thabeet and a 1st round pick

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Looks like a done deal.

I like it from a Rox perspective, while Thabeet has been crap, he has upside, and when you are not good enough as a team to compete and not bad enough to suck into a high first, you have to take a shot at some high draft picks that did not pan out on other teams.

Thabeet also will start for the Rox, we need a shot blocking center big time........

And Battier has been great, but he is an expiring contract, and is a fan favorite in Memphis....

Good trade for Houston, whether it works out or not......

Even if the Rox get worse, we still win with a higher pick....

DD

ElNono
02-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Thabeet sucks... he has the tools, just not the work ethic...

I can't believe the Spurs couldn't toss a better package than that for Shane... smh

Jt.ONE
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
whats with everybody moving players for picks?

from what i know/hear the next draft isn't even that strong...

Hoops Czar
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Thabeet sucks... he has the tools, just not the work ethic...

I can't believe the Spurs couldn't toss a better package than that for Shane... smh

Yes, he does... He has the tools to play in the D-league.

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Sometimes work ethic is a product of lack of playing time or opportunity, sometimes it is just that, bad work ethos.

Either way, if this happens as has been reported, It is a decent deal, Battier was expiring anyway, and would probably move on to a contender at the end of the year.

And to get a first round pick and a former 2nd player in the draft, for an expiring contract is pretty decent.

Michael Beasely was a bust in Miami...sometimes it just takes a fresh start.

DD

JamStone
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Battier doesn't even really help the Grizzlies imo. I guess they're fighting for one of those last playoff spots, but I don't see the point for Memphis. Thabeet may suck and this draft is weak, but it's not like Battier is going to put them over the top of even making it out of the first round. I get why Houston did the deal, but odd trade for Memphis tbh.

HarlemHeat37
02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Grizzlies preventing the Cetics from getting Battier, since it could hurt the Lakers..

JamStone
02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
lol true

Obstructed_View
02-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Thabeet gets a change of scenery and without any playoff positioning gets minutes to see if he can develop.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Thabeet lol

yavozerb
02-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Battier is making 7+ mil and Thabeet is making 4+ mil, not going to work unless another player is added for memphis...1st rd pick makes no difference with this.

Indazone
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
This trade makes sense for Memphis as they are overloaded at Center. Battier was a crowd favorite and has plenty of friends there. For the Rockets...meh. But for the record, we do need to reload at Center. Hasheem was projected to be Dikembe 2.0. He's not a good finisher offensively but if he can block shots, clog up the middle, and rebound the ball and throw in a few garbage pts, that's good enough for the Rockets as currently constructed.

I still think we need another Center and Hill doesn't cut it. We need to move Hill and get another legit big man. We have plenty of good perimeter players.

Cry Havoc
02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Grizzlies preventing the Cetics from getting Battier, since it could hurt the Lakers..

:wow

Crazy enough to be true.

Indazone
Battier is making 7+ mil and Thabeet is making 4+ mil, not going to work unless another player is added for memphis...1st rd pick makes no difference with this.

Tell the Grizzlies to throw in Hadaddi or Mayo and it's a deal.

Cry Havoc

Trade exception?

yavozerb
02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Trade exception?

Memphis does not any have exceptions..

IronMexican
02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I should always wait till after the trade deadline to start a 2k franchise.

Cry Havoc
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Memphis does not any have exceptions..

Worth a shot in the dark. :lol

Cry Havoc
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I should always wait till after the trade deadline to start a 2k franchise.

:lmao This x100000.

Indazone
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Would so much rather have this guy. Hadaddi.

Coup: Hamed Haddadi Passes Hasheem Thabeet on Memphis Depth Chart

http://www.straightouttavancouver.com/2010/2/24/1324653/coup-hamed-haddadi-passes-hasheem

When the Memphis Grizzlies drafted Hasheem Thabeet with the #2 overall pick this summer, owner Michael Heisley (who reportedly made the selection despite his 'basketball people' cautioning him otherwise) thought Memphis was bringing in a stud shotblocker and potential top-tier defensive center.

Of course lots of Grizzlies fans, myself included, were terrified with the decision. Clearly Marc Gasol had shown that he was a consistent, quality starter during his rookie year, and the Grizzlies already had a project center named Hamed Haddadi logging a few very solid backup minutes.

Hamed Haddadi won MVP of FIBA's Asian Basketball Championship during the summer, but Thabeet was drafted #2 overall. In other words, Thabeet got the backup job and tons of leeway.

That leeway has apparently run out though, with Coach Lionel Hollins giving this message to the team Tuesday:

"I just made a decision that I'm going with Hamed just like I made the decision that I'm going with Marcus (Williams at point guard)," Hollins said. "You just feel something and you want to see something and you want to change. You run with it and see what happens. How long will this last? I don't know."

This move has been a long time coming and, quite honestly, it makes perfect sense. Haddadi fits the system better, since his tough rebounding and excellent, albeit raw, passing skills are closer to Marc Gasol's style of play than anything Hasheem Thabeet has done all season.

Coach Hollins declined to comment on what this meant for Hasheem Thabeet, but a demotion to the D-League could be in the cards if Hamed continues to impress like he did last game against the Lakers.

I don't this that it's fair to perceive this as giving up on Thabeet, though. Hasheem might have been a mistake in terms of being a huge reach, but his athletic ability is every bit as good as advertised. He will find a role in the NBA, there will always be a market and role for a 7'3" tall center with forward-esque speed and hops. The big man just has lots of learning to do about the game -- Hollins once said his knowledge of basketball was comparable to an 8th grader -- that he needs to do off the court.

yavozerb
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Tell the Grizzlies to throw in Hadaddi or Mayo and it's a deal.

That would work actually..Anytime the grizz are talking with another team, I think every other team and fans gets nervous cause who knows what the hell they are going to do...:lol

Kai
02-24-2011, 03:01 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Houston has traded Shane Battier to Memphis for Thabeet and a first-round pick, source tells Y!

Seventyniner
02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
The Rox better make damn good use of that pick. Thabeet is the biggest bust since Darko.

robbie380
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
The Rox better make damn good use of that pick. Thabeet is the biggest bust since Darko.

This was more of a luxury tax deal for the Rockets. I can't see how Thabeet gets any playing time...but you never know.

sefant77
02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Erase this stupid franchise

So they are throwing a 1st in a deal so they can dump their #2 bust for an expiring?

Epic...

Kai
02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Bro, we're blowing it up. Battier walks in the offseason for nothing if we don't deal him. Would you rather have Thabeet and a first (more important) or nothing?

coyotes_geek
02-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Houston sure is accumulating a bunch of draft picks. Has anyone bothered to tell them that this draft sucks?

robbie380
02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Houston sure is accumulating a bunch of draft picks. Has anyone bothered to tell them that this draft sucks?

I don't think they said what year the pick was, did they?

coyotes_geek
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't think they said what year the pick was, did they?

Fair point. Could be premature on my part to assume both the Phoenix and Memphis picks would be in this year's draft.

robbie380
02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Fair point. Could be premature on my part to assume both the Phoenix and Memphis picks would be in this year's draft.

I'm just hoping they aren't. We are a fucking train wreck of a team.

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Yep, done deal.

Either way, it is a good deal for both teams......

DD

robbie380
02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Yep, done deal.

Either way, it is a good deal for both teams......

DD

Good deal for Les. He saved $4 million on this deal.

Now we are locked into 3 sub-par centers for $13 million next year, but at least we got a first.

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Robbie,

The only bad part of this deal for me is that Ish Smith was also part of the deal.....

Twill better be ready.

DD

Indazone
02-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Adleman, who was trying desperately to make the playoffs, has to be nursing a massive headache.

djohn2oo8
02-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Adleman, who was trying desperately to make the playoffs, has to be nursing a massive headache.

He HAS to play T-Will now :lol

GuerillaBlack
02-24-2011, 05:01 PM
He HAS to play T-Will now :lol

Finally.

robbie380
02-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Robbie,

The only bad part of this deal for me is that Ish Smith was also part of the deal.....

Twill better be ready.

DD

Pretty sure we can just re-sign Ish in the off season.

02-24-2011, 05:18 PM
wtf are the grizzlies going to do with battier???

Greg Oden
02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
wtf are the grizzlies going to do with battier???

They already have enough average wingmen behind Gay as it is.

Indazone
02-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Lol yes T-Will is going to get minutes now. Adleman has to try to make Thabeet serviceable. Dragic will get playing time right away too. We have improved our backcourt even more. Dragic/Lowry will be nice alongside K-Mart. Better than Brooks/Lowry anyways. The Brooks/Martin backcourt last year was pretty good but Brooks has absolutely regressed.

I like getting picks too. That definately helps more overall. Hope we tank enough to go high in the lottery. We definately need to get rid of Jared Jeffries contract or play the guy.

Indazone
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
We are going to sink or swim with draft picks. Moneyball!

Unfortunately, we are the Arizona Diamondbacks of the Basketball world.

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 05:27 PM
The Rockets actually got worse, Dragic is not as good as Brooks when healthy, and Thabeet is not as good as Battier.

Not to mention we just gave a boost to two teams ahead of the Rox in the playoff hunt.

Morey tossed in the towel, and basically got fleeced.....low draft picks in the first round can be bought by cash...

The only hope for any of this is Thabeet, if he pans out, the Rox win, if not, they just got worse in talent and worse in time to get better.

Simply worse, which may be the move overall anyway.

Funny how we now have 3 picks from last year's lottery.

Thabeet #2
Hill #8
TWill #11

I hope they pan out....

DD

djohn2oo8
02-24-2011, 05:31 PM
The Rockets actually got worse, Dragic is not as good as Brooks when healthy, and Thabeet is not as good as Battier.

Not to mention we just gave a boost to two teams ahead of the Rox in the playoff hunt.

Morey tossed in the towel, and basically got fleeced.....low draft picks in the first round can be bought by cash...

The only hope for any of this is Thabeet, if he pans out, the Rox win, if not, they just got worse in talent and worse in time to get better.

Thabeet #2
Hill #8
TWill #11

I hope they pan out....

DD

Brooks is undersized and complete shit on defense, don't know about Dragic. So don't hype Brooks like he isn't replaceable. What we have to hope 4 now is that Hakeem can be a life mentor to Hasheem, along with basketball

GuerillaBlack
02-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Thabeet #2
Hill #8
TWill #11

I hope they pan out....

DD

But what would be the benefit of keeping two expiring contracts this season? We got Dragic, Thabeet, and two first round picks out of two expiring contracts. Not bad.

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Brooks and Dragic have the same defensive rating, both teams give up the same number of points per possession when they are on the floor...

Net zero....is a net zero...

Brooks is replaceable, he is also better than Lowry......at least when heatlhy.

Lowry is like Rafer 2.0....a pretty bad shooter who is a gritty PG, in all honesty, neither is all that great.

I can do without AB, the guy I am really sad to see go is Ish Smith, I think in the end he might be better than both Brooks and Lowry.

DD

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
But what would be the benefit of keeping two expiring contracts this season? We got Dragic, Thabeet, and two first round picks out of two expiring contracts. Not bad.

Thabeet I am ok with......but Brooks was a restricted Free Agent they could have done a S&T with him over the summer, and his play would improve as his health got better, driving up his value, IMO.

They traded low, which is a desperation move, and not a good one, IMO.

Two first round picks in the 20s are not worth much, you can buy them these days....

In the end, the Rox gave up on the season, and are going to get under the Lux tax line, and keep the insurance from Yao's contract which adds about $12 million overall to the bottom line.

Which, IMO, was the main goal judging by these trades.

DD

GuerillaBlack
02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Thabeet I am ok with......but Brooks was a restricted Free Agent they could have done a S&T with him over the summer, and his play would improve as his health got better, driving up his value, IMO.

Two first round picks in the 20s are not worth much, you can buy them these days....

In the end, the Rox gave up on the season, and are going to get under the Lux tax line, and keep the insurance from Yao's contract which adds about $12 million overall to the bottom line.

DD

How would we have done a sign and trade with Brooks? I highly doubt we would have matched any offer that other teams (the Kings) would have given him. He would have just walked...

djohn2oo8
02-24-2011, 05:40 PM

DD

They weren't going anywhere anyway without a center, and did they not give up 118 points to the Cavs??? Something had to change

HarlemHeat37
02-24-2011, 05:49 PM
I just find it pretty humorous that the Grizzlies acquired both Tony Allen and Shane Battier..I'm half-joking, but it seems like the Grizzlies are in the NBA, strictly to subtly help LA:lol..

DaDakota
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
How would we have done a sign and trade with Brooks? I highly doubt we would have matched any offer that other teams (the Kings) would have given him. He would have just walked...

When you are a restricted free agent a team can call the Rox and offer a S&T before signing the offer sheet.

And he could not have walked, if the Rox match he would be kept, or they could sign him outright and he could be traded.

The point is they gave him up at his low point, knowing he was injured etc, and knowing they have a bottom third PG right now....

The Rox PG situation with a healthy Brooks starting and Lowry coming off the bench was a strength, now they are very weak there, unless TWill can play point.

DD

DPG21920
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
So MEM trades their #2 pick for Shane and their #3 pick for McRoberts :lol

Eat sh*t you terrible pos franchise.

kingmalaki
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM

The Suns pick will be this year (Suns pick if they make the postseason and the Magic pick if the Suns miss the postseason). Grizz pick is from 2013 and lotto protected that year.

02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I just find it pretty humorous that the Grizzlies acquired both Tony Allen and Shane Battier..I'm half-joking, but it seems like the Grizzlies are in the NBA, strictly to subtly help LA:lol..
this was my reaction as well.