PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Knicks are shopping two players - instead of one

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
According to ESPN

As we've previously noted, the Knicks are looking to sign a free agent big man after the deadline -- possibly Earl Barron.

But to do so, they'll need to clear a roster spot as they're at the maximum of 15.

And according to Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD via sources close to the team, they're shopping both Renaldo Balkman and Corey Brewer to clear room.

"If the Knicks cannot find a deal for one or both players, Renaldo Balkman could be bought out to clear at least one roster spot," Kennedy wrote.

In addition to Barron, it's been reported the Knicks could sign someone from the D-League. Buyout candidates such as Jared Jeffries and Troy Murphy are also a possibility.

Maybe it's me, but if the Spurs do anything, perhaps this is the route they take - CIA, of course.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Bringing in TJ Ford would be a waste of a roster spot. The Spurs are set at PG. Anyone the Spurs bring in will be SF or bigger.

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Bringing in TJ Ford would be a waste of a roster spot. The Spurs are set at PG. Anyone the Spurs bring in will be SF or bigger.

Which is why either one of these guys would make better sense.

rjv
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM

i agree. murphy would make the most sense. certainly more than pursuing TJ ford would.

Blackjack
02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
If the Spurs could do something like Quinn and a pick for Brewer, yes please.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2011, 02:55 PM

No doubt. But anyone who wanted Quinn had ample time to sign him before the Spurs picked him up off the scrap heap. He's got no trade value whatsoever. A Spurs draft pick in a weak draft isn't worth all that much either.

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Amen

Looks as though if the Knicks cannot find a deal for one or both players, Renaldo Balkman could be bought out to clear at least one roster spot.

Do it, R.C.

Blackjack
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
No doubt. But anyone who wanted Quinn had ample time to sign him before the Spurs picked him up off the scrap heap. He's got no trade value whatsoever. A Spurs draft pick in a weak draft isn't worth all that much either.

Pipe dream though it may be, they'd be doing the trade for the pick. They waive Quinn to free up a roster space, which would allow them to then go out and sign a Barron or a buyout.

I'd give up next year's first for a proven defender and athlete the likes of Brewer. But a pipe dream, still.

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Historically, I'm against giving away precious assets like 1st round picks - especially for older, past-their-prime players, but with the chance to add a young, athletic wing player - I'm on board with that.

Blackjack
02-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Amen

Looks as though if the Knicks cannot find a deal for one or both players, Renaldo Balkman could be bought out to clear at least one roster spot.

Do it, R.C.

Balkman wouldn't be a terrible route but I think you've gotta see how the buyouts shake out in this market. Brewer would be - for me - as good as any buyout they're going to get. Balkman, not so much.

But I don't hate the idea from a skillset standpoint, and especially if we're able to look back and see the Spurs couldn't have gotten a better player via buyout. I think you've got to err on the side of missing out on Balkman rather than missing out on some of these buyouts, though . . .

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Here we go. Look for at least one New York buyout forthcoming

UPDATE: From Howard Beck of the New York Times, "official notice from Knicks: no trades today. They're done."

As such -- and as noted below -- look for the team to buy out Balkman's contract now to free up a roster space.

mingus
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Knicks would be dumb to let Brewer go.

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Knicks would be dumb to let Brewer go.

They have a hard on for Earl Barron and need to clear up a roster spot.

I agree, given choice of which one to buyout, I would expect the Knicks to buyout Balkman and retain Brewer. Brewer WILL be an free agent this offseason. Perhaps, the Spurs can look at him then.

Blackjack
02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Again I like T.J.

I don't hate you for that, not at all.

He'd allow George to play more utility and the transition game and playmaking on this team would certainly be improved.

Bruno
02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
If Knicks waive a player to clear a roster spot, Azubuike, Mason and Rautins are way more likely candidates than Balkman or Brewer.

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
If Knicks waive a player to clear a roster spot, Azubuike, Mason and Rautins are way more likely candidates than Balkman or Brewer.

Just going by what was reported by Knicks beat writer.

wontstartdumbthreads
02-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Mason is very intriguing. Can he shoot?

Bruno
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Just going by what was reported by Knicks beat writer.

It wasn't a knock on you but I just disagreed with what he said.

Azubuike is out for the year, Mason has been horrible for Knicks and Rautins has done nothing for them. I see a buyout more likely than Balkman, who has a long term contract, and Brewer, who is a good player.

Blackjack
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah, they ain't buying out Brewer. That was actually a good get that I didn't realize was in the package at first.

It's not like the Knicks don't need defenders . . .

moisaenz
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Mason is very intriguing. Can he shoot?

A Mason comeback???Azubuike is a better option.

wontstartdumbthreads
02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know the Texas state laws on found reptiles? Are there any requirements?

SenorSpur
02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
It wasn't a knock on you but I just disagreed with what he said.

Azubuike is out for the year, Mason has been horrible for Knicks and Rautins has done nothing for them. I see a buyout more likely than Balkman, who has a long term contract, and Brewer, who is a good player.

No offense taken at all.

I can't wait to see who they buyout. If it is Balkman, he'd be a curious get.

Vic Petro
02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
If Jared Jeffries were bought out he would be intriguing.

ChuckD
02-24-2011, 07:57 PM
If Jared Jeffries were bought out he would be intriguing.

Horrible. He was intriguing maybe 3-4 years ago when he was a FA, but he did absolutely nothing to improve his game. He's 29 and is a borderline NBA player at best.

ChuckD
02-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Longhorn pride people!

Spinal Stenosis avoidance, people!

ohmwrecker
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
You guys know the trade deadline expired, right?

ohmwrecker
02-24-2011, 08:39 PM
We're talking buyouts.

How do you "shop" players that are going to be bought out?

ohmwrecker
02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
However . . . in that case . . . I'm keeping an eye on Bobcats waiving Derrick Brown and/or Dominic McGuire.

Seventyniner
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
How do you "shop" players that are going to be bought out?

It's kind of convoluted, but possible. Let's take perhaps the most sought-after buyout candidate: Troy Murphy. Since the Warriors know that Murphy wants to go somewhere else, they want to gauge interest (the "shopping" part). If teams get into a bidding war and are willing to offer, say, the LLE or a chunk of the MLE, then Murphy might be willing to take less money in a buyout, as opposed to a marginal buyout candidate who would only get a minimum offer.

ohmwrecker
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
It was kind of a rhetorical question.

ChuckD
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Stop making up words!

Stop being ignorant of TJ's medical issues! (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001477)

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
I like TJ too. He would be a good backup for Parker. Hill and Neal (for the thousandth time) are not PGs.