PDA

View Full Version : Insider Request: Celtics take risk by dealing Perkins

k_nguyen93
02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
From what I gathered, Hollinger thinks Celtics traded Perkins away because they are no longer scared of Howard and this trade was to match up against Spurs and Heat.

May you continue jacking up fadeaway three pointers instead of giving Pierce or Allen the ball Jeff Green :toast.

Hoops Czar
02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
This SHOULD have been placed in the NBA forum.

BTW, they are 4-0 vs the Spurs and Heat so that can't be the reason.

Obstructed_View
02-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I think the article is in the thread downstairs.

k_nguyen93
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry new here. I think it has to do more with injury. All 5 guys shipped out basically are hurt/getting surgery. Green gives them another wing defender since Marquis was going to be out for the rest of the season. Ainge knows that when Heat finally get Haslem back, they're going to be a lot different than the first three games. They've had more times to gel now. Spurs lost by 2 on the second of a back to back after running and gunning with the Knicks of all teams the night before. Allen and Davis had near perfect shooting nights and they barely won.

Hoops Czar
02-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry new here. I think it has to do more with injury. All 5 guys shipped out basically are hurt/getting surgery. Green gives them another wing defender since Marquis was going to be out for the rest of the season. Ainge knows that when Heat finally get Haslem back, they're going to be a lot different than the first three games. They've had more times to gel now. Spurs lost by 2 on the second of a back to back after running and gunning with the Knicks of all teams the night before. Allen and Davis had near perfect shooting nights and they barely won.

IMO, Perkins was expendable. He was a one-dimensional injury-plagued center who the Celts over time, have learned to live without. Long term, Green and Krstic are really going to be dependable role players off the bench. In games Boston went to the bench, they would go in some serious scoring droughts. this makes them deeper and much more balanced on offense.

As for the Spurs game, it was a painful game to watch. Both teams played like crap. But boston had a 9 point lead at around the 2:00 minute mark. Shotty defense and missed free throws made the score a lot closer than it should have been.

Vic Petro
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Celtics take risk by dealing Perkins
By John Hollinger
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Celtics-Thunder-110224

Take note, Lakers and Magic fans: The Celtics are effectively betting against you.

They'll never say so in so many words, but actions speak much louder. And today's actions said that when playoff time rolls around, Boston thinks it will need perimeter depth, floor spacing and the ability to play smaller a lot more than it'll need quality low-post defenders.

Translation: Miami is the threat here, not Orlando. And if the Celtics survive, it's San Antonio, not the Lakers, whom they now match up better against.

Gone is low-post defensive ace Kendrick Perkins, but coming aboard are versatile wingman Jeff Green and, one suspects, floor-spacing power forward Troy Murphy.

The Celtics had better hope they're right about how the postseason plays out, because they are certainly taking a risk here. For one, they've basically put most of their eggs in a basket labeled "Shaquille O'Neal and Delonte West staying healthy."

By trading Perkins, Nate Robinson, Semih Erden and Luke Harangody in two separate trades today (as well as the injured Marquis Daniels in a third trade), Boston simultaneously opened up holes in its depth chart at both center and point guard.

Perkins, the gritty 5-man who was so key to stifling Orlando's Dwight Howard in the Celtics' upset of Orlando in last spring's conference finals (and yes, that was an upset -- the Magic were smokin' and had home court), went to Oklahoma City along with Robinson, in a deal for Green, Nenad Krstic and a top-10 protected first-round pick that originally belonged to the Clippers.

In a second trade, the Celtics sent Erden and Harangody to Cleveland for a second-round pick. As a result of these moves, Boston is certainly well-positioned for the future -- the Celtics have draft picks and will be in position to make a hard run at Howard in free agency in 2012. They have jettisoned Perkins and have one year left on the deals of Shaquille and Jermaine O'Neal. From that angle, this trade is basically a neon sign that says, "Yo, Dwight -- over here!"

But what about the present? This is a team built to win right now, and one can argue today's moves push the Celtics further away from that goal. Not only does moving Perkins create problems for Boston in potential postseason matchups against the Magic -- the Celtics' second-round foe based on today's standings -- and the Lakers, but under the radar, including Robinson leaves the Celtics without a reliable backup point guard behind Rajon Rondo.

When Rondo rests, Delonte West or Ray Allen will now have to be the main ball handler unless the Celtics think rookie Avery Bradley is up to the task or a decent player (T.J. Ford, perhaps) becomes available via buyout.

Thus, the reliance on the unreliables. West can handle the point if he stays healthy, but he has played only six games this season and has missed big chunks of the past two seasons.

Meanwhile, Shaq defends Howard nearly as capably as Perkins does, but generally speaking, he isn't available as often -- although to be fair, Perkins has missed 43 games this season and is back on the shelf after a knee sprain. This season, Shaq has played only 36 games after just 53 the season before, plus he is about to turn 39 years old and can't go nearly as long due to fouls and fatigue -- he's averaging only 20 minutes a game. It seems Boston is counting on undersized Glen Davis to make up the difference.

As for the other potential reserves, Krstic is a shrinking violet when it comes to physical play so he won't offer much help, and the same goes for Murphy -- for whom Boston will roll out a red carpet as soon he completes a buyout agreement with Golden State. Jermaine O'Neal could also be in the mix, but he's been out most of the season with knee problems.

Thus, the Celtics are left with more quantity than quality up front. If they're going up against Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Joakim Noah in the playoffs, no problem. Against go-to guys like Howard and Pau Gasol? Different story.

As for Green, he'll help as a "3.5," splitting time between the two forward positions and matching up against bigger 3s like Miami's LeBron James and Chicago's Luol Deng. He was abused defensively as a starting power forward in Oklahoma City, but in this role he can perform a lot better. Presumably Von Wafer or West will be the backup 2, but we may see the Celtics shorten their rotation and go big at times in the playoffs with Pierce and Green on the wings playing alongside a point guard and two bigs.

Green and Murphy, if he comes, could also give Boston the option of playing smaller (with Kevin Garnett or Davis at 5) and spacing the floor more, something the Celtics haven't done much of since James Posey left after their 2008 championship run.

One other point, since everyone is attacking the Celtics over this trade: Perkins has played only 12 games this season and Boston still has the best record in the East; the Celtics also nearly won Game 7 of the Finals in Los Angeles last year without him. Generally speaking, they'll get by. Additionally, the Celtics needed somebody on the wings to replace the injured Daniels (who was dealt to Sacramento today), meaning that somebody with value had to depart -- Perkins was the most logical candidate.

Nonetheless, one suspects if the Celtics still saw the Lakers and Magic as their two prime playoff threats, they wouldn't have made this deal. The fact the Heat and Spurs have played so well, one suspects, has altered their thinking.

TD 21
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't know about that. I was kind of thinking along those lines, but then I thought of a lot of comments from the Celtics throughout the season. The sense I've always gotten is this: That they not only have the Lakers penciled into the Finals, but that they have them in the Finals in ink. I've never gotten the impression that they take the Spurs that seriously.

S. O'Neal is a part-time player at this point, both health and stamina-wise. J. O'Neal, it's doubtful he'll be able to give them anything for the remainder of the season. Whether they sign Murphy, Powe (neither of whom are C's), etc., it's probably going to come down to Davis and Krstic playing a lot of minutes in the middle.

That helps the Spurs big time, should they meet in the Finals. Not only from the standpoint of them being weaker defensively and not having as much shot blocking (as well as being even worse rebounding-wise), but also in terms of who Duncan has to go up against. Instead of banging with Perkins, he'll have either the undersized Davis or the tissue soft Krstic on him for long stretches.

I said before the season started that I thought the Spurs would win the championship, but I looked at it like nearly a 50/50 proposition between them and the Celtics. Now? I've got it closer to 60-40. On the other hand, the road to the Finals just got tougher, because the Thunder (likely second round opponent) just got better.

m33p0
02-24-2011, 11:24 PM
losing their back up small forward had more to do with this trade.

MmP
02-25-2011, 12:13 AM
this trade was strange i was betting perkings to be a celitc for 2 more years at least, who can stop gasol now for them? garnett?shaq? jermaine?
to be honest i thought perkins was a great role player, always the dirty job out there so rare

Mal
02-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Perkins was good, but Perkins demanding Haywood`s money was not so great.

AidanNelson2009
02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
My take on it is the Celtics are already looking ahead and are preparing for the play-offs. This season, they don't see the Lakers and Magic as major threats, they see the Spurs, Bulls and the Heat as real contenders. This move could prove to be good or bad, but today, it looked as though the Celtics were struggling, they only managed 75 points against the Nuggets.

portnoy1
02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
At first I this was a bad move for the celtics. Now that I think about it? IF (yeah, a big if) the Celtics bigs can stay relatively healthy Then you have A 16min and 18fls between your centers. Shaq can block shots and rebound, Jermaine can do somewhat the same to lesser extent, and Nenad can stretch the floor. So now instead of having a 3 big bruising Centers, they have a better mix and versatility at that position. While at the same time They have a scoring backup 3/4 player in Green. The kinda player that gives the spurs problems in certain matchup situations.

Rummpd
02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Perkins is very over-rated and they got a better player in return. End of arguement.

ChuckD
02-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Perkins was good, but Perkins demanding Haywood`s money was not so great.

Cane
02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I think this is a too risky move by the Celtics; they gotta know more than we do for this to make sense to me. It disrupts some of the best chemistry a NBA team has and gambling on the O'Neals health keeping up in the playoffs seems almost stupid and ditto with relying on Krstic/Green over Perkins. Even if the O'Neals are healthy they're not going to be very good because they'll likely wear down quickly or hack-a-Shaq...

They did need a backup for Pierce though; really all the Celtics Big 3 have been averaging too many minutes when you compare their injuries, minutes per game, and older age versus our own Big 3. But to give up Perkins for a tweener like Green??? Green's the one thats overrated here imo.

At least it makes more drama for that Celtics ESPN miniseries. :downspin:

hater
02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
I can see their thinking, trying to speed up the game to match Heat, Spurs. But last night without Perk their team looked even more slow.

I don't think Green is really gonna change that much. They are fucked IMO

dbestpro
02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
As I have had more time to think about this trade and get past all the knee jerk reactions I think Boston got the better of this deal. Losing Green may hurt Durant and Westbrook more than you know, offensively. Who is gonna be a consistant scorer when those 2 or not on the floor. Also, one could argue that the best inside choice for OKC would be to utilize Ibaka more. The guy has a good offensive game, can change games defensively and now he will share minutes with offensively challenged Perkins. OKC will really miss not having a 6-9 guy who can spread the floor.

For Boston, it is simply a matter of getting a player to match up with Anthony and James nd do it with a player who has contributed very little this year to the best record in the east.

dbestpro
02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
As I have had more time to think about this trade and get past all the knee jerk reactions I think Boston got the better of this deal. Losing Green may hurt Durant and Westbrook more than you know, offensively. Who is gonna be a consistant scorer when those 2 or not on the floor. Also, one could argue that the best inside choice for OKC would be to utilize Ibaka more. The guy has a good offensive game, can change games defensively and now he will share minutes with offensively challenged Perkins. OKC will really miss not having a 6-9 guy who can spread the floor.

For Boston, it is simply a matter of getting a player to match up with Anthony and James nd do it with a player who has contributed very little this year to the best record in the east.

GabeIsGone
02-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Green was gone anyways, he plays the same position as KD. he was never really a 4, just forced to play there.

Harden will replace greens scoring, hes probably gonna move into the starting line-up.

Ibaka will actually be starting at PF NEXT to Perkins from what i'm hearing, so his minutes are only gonna be goin up, not down. Ibaka + Perkins is probably the best defensive frontline in the NBA (if perkins is close to what he was)

dbestpro
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Green was gone anyways, he plays the same position as KD. he was never really a 4, just forced to play there.

Harden will replace greens scoring, hes probably gonna move into the starting line-up.

Ibaka will actually be starting at PF NEXT to Perkins from what i'm hearing, so his minutes are only gonna be goin up, not down. Ibaka + Perkins is probably the best defensive frontline in the NBA (if perkins is close to what he was)

When Green played the 4 he could help spread the floor which opened the lanes. As teams collapse to protect the paint it left shots open on the perimeter. It is what the entire OKC offense was predicated on, driving to the hoop and getting fouled, or kicking out to the open man. If they do run Ibaka and Perkins together they will clog the lanes limiting driving opportunites. This in turn will make it easier for the periemter defenders.

I think that as a young team the change of chemistry and play will take too long for them to be able to succeed this year. They would have been better off playing Ibaka more and finding a little more fire power for their bench.

SenorSpur
02-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Agree on Green. He seemed woefully out of position. Also, it's clear the Thunder didn't see Green as a long-term fixture on that them. After all, Thunder management allowed Green to twist in the wind, as they never addressed the subject of a possible extension for him. It seems they had this in mind, all along.

As for Harden, he plays the 2-spot. If he replaces anyone in the starting lineup, it would be Sefalosha. And Brooks is on record as saying that he prefers having the defensive-minded Sefalosha on the court to start games, and also prefers having Harden's instant offense coming off the bench.

cheguevara
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Green is a scrub