PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives unable to see through their own bias

RandomGuy
02-24-2011, 09:38 PM
The Irony of Satire

This study investigated biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perceptions of Stephen Colbert. Results indicate that political ideology influences biased processing of ambiguous political messages and source in late-night comedy. Using data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology.

Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert's political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.

-------------------------------------------

http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/2/212.abstract

Basically, conservatives just couldn't see through the jokes to get the satire.

Yonivore
02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
The Irony of Satire

This study investigated biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perceptions of Stephen Colbert. Results indicate that political ideology influences biased processing of ambiguous political messages and source in late-night comedy. Using data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology.

Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert's political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.

I haven't seen Colbert that much but, when I have, I think he's generally a funny guy. However, isn't the purpose of satire to caricature, ridicule, or humorously exaggerate something you believe is an embarrassing truth?

I think for Colbert to be an effective satirist, he must believe the subject of his humor is based on at least a kernel of truth. No?

Spurminator
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
No.

Yonivore
02-24-2011, 10:17 PM
No.
Hmmm. It appears Merriam Webster disagrees

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satire

Definition of SATIRE
: a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly
Holding up human vices and follies to ridicule and score seems -- while it can be funny -- to be based on the belief there is vice and folly present to ridicule and scorn.

And, exposing or discrediting vice or folly would also indicate a belief it exists to be exposed and discredited.

Just saying.

Spurminator
02-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Believing dishonesty exists is not the same as believing the subject of the dishonesty carries some truth.

Yonivore
02-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Believing dishonesty exists is not the same as believing the subject of the dishonesty carries some truth.
Satirizing the concept of dishonesty is one thing. Satirizing the dishonesty of a person necessarily requires the consumer of the satire to assume there is a basis for the person to be ridiculed or shamed with respect to that dishonesty.

Are we really going to argue semantics simply because I disagree with the premise of your post?

Spurminator
02-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I have no interest in arguing semantics. You're the one bringing the Dictionary definition of "satire" into the discussion, and you're still wrong.

Colbert is almost irritatingly left-wing partisan. To suggest he is simply exaggerating concepts that he believes have merit would suggest you don't have a clue what he's doing.

He's lampooning conservative pundits and their audience. He's making fun of you. He thinks you're a clown.

Bartleby
02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I think for Colbert to be an effective satirist, he must believe the subject of his humor is based on at least a kernel of truth. No?

Yes, he probably believes the conservative media personalities he is parodying really are as stupid and obnoxious as he pretends to be.

By the way Yoni, thanks for illustrating the OP's point: conservatives don't get satire.

Yonivore
02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I have no interest in arguing semantics. You're the one bringing the Dictionary definition of "satire" into the discussion, and you're still wrong.
No, I'm not.

The only time satire doesn't contain an element of truth (from the perspective of the satirist) is when the satire is directed at someone who makes false claims of another person's vice or folly. But, then, the satirist is merely directing the scorn at the liar and not the subject of the lie.

For instance, if a satirist wanted to hold up for ridicule or scorn the idiots on the left who spent years chanting, "Bush lied and people died," he might create satire that incorporates the concept that "Bush lied and people died," without believe the concept to be true...the truth in that satire is that the satirist believes the people who hole that position are the one to be ridiculed and scorned.

The satire is still based on a truth held by the satirist.

Marcus Bryant
02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Colbert? Oh, yes, the entertainer.

Spurminator
02-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Okay, you win, Colbert is secretly a hardcore conservative and his act is a subliminal Trojan horse intended to plant conservative ideas in the minds of young liberal hipsters.

Yonivore
02-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Yes, he probably believes the conservative media personalities he is parodying really are as stupid and obnoxious as he pretends to be.

By the way Yoni, thanks for illustrating the OP's point: conservatives don't get satire.
I get it fine, it's just disingenuous to claim the satire isn't derived from some article of faith held by the satirist.

That doesn't make Colbert unfunny.

Parody, like impersonation, is merely an exaggeration of some basic truth about the subject of the parody.

Yonivore
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Okay, you win, Colbert is secretly a hardcore conservative and his act is a subliminal Trojan horse intended to plant conservative ideas in the minds of young liberal hipsters.
I don't know enough about Colbert to know what are his politics. I just know satire relies on exaggerating a perceived truth.

Marcus Bryant
02-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Just think about how much of American political discourse is dominated by the utterings and mutterings of these talking heads. Of course, they have their soapbox for a reason, as people watch and hang on their every word, including those who believe they fundamentally disagree with the viewpoint expressed.

Polititainment exists because, at the end of the day, Americans are a fundamentally incurious lot in need of confirmation. I would say incredulous, but I've seen too much to so claim. The formula is the same: here's how it really is, you and I are the only ones who really know what's going on.

Sec24Row7
02-24-2011, 10:54 PM
This thread is such bullshit...

A biased thread about the other side's bias?

Mental Masturbation at it's finest...

RandomGuy
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Satirizing the concept of dishonesty is one thing. Satirizing the dishonesty of a person necessarily requires the consumer of the satire to assume there is a basis for the person to be ridiculed or shamed with respect to that dishonesty.

Are we really going to argue semantics simply because I disagree with the premise of your post?

I know you are, but what am I?

RandomGuy
02-24-2011, 11:03 PM
This thread is such bullshit...

A biased thread about the other side's bias?

Mental Masturbation at it's finest...

DING DING DING!

He gets it. :lobt:

ChumpDumper
02-25-2011, 05:15 AM
yoni really believes Colbert is a right wing douchebag pretending to be a right wing douchebag.

George Gervin's Afro
02-25-2011, 07:58 AM
I haven't seen Colbert that much but, when I have, I think he's generally a funny guy. However, isn't the purpose of satire to caricature, ridicule, or humorously exaggerate something you believe is an embarrassing truth?

no

George Gervin's Afro
02-25-2011, 07:59 AM
I don't know enough about Colbert to know what are his politics. I just know satire relies on exaggerating a perceived truth.

no

DarrinS
02-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Wow RG, this is really ground-breaking research. I hope they do another study to see if conservatives think Jon Stewart is liberal based on his nightly mocking of conservatives and Fox news. Maybe another "study" would conclude that conservatives think Bill Maher leans to the left.

I wonder if a majority of liberals would think that Dennis Miller is conservative?

101A
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
The Irony of Satire

Oh, you have made a fantastic point.

To wit:

* I call myself, and believe (at least until I was enlightened by your post/link) myself to be a conservative.
* Colbert CAllS himself a conservative, but he really isn't - he just pretends to be a conservative using satire and sarcasm.
* Other conservatives believe Colbert to be a conservative, and that he believes much of what he says, despite the satire and sarcasm.
* Liberals recognize Colbert's satire and sarcasm for what it is, and correctly surmise that his views as expressed do not indicate what his actual political leanings are.
* Liberals are, thus, intelligent, while Conservatives are, at best, ignorant dupes.

ERGO

If I do not want to be an ignorant dupe (at best), I ought to be liberal.

Thank you so much for that.

Now I've got to go. Got to study why the War on Poverty is actually working.

RandomGuy
02-25-2011, 09:50 AM

:lmao

I was hoping to have a little fun with this bit, but this exceeded my expectations.

I love the internet.

RandomGuy
02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Oh, you have made a fantastic point.

To wit:

* I call myself, and believe (at least until I was enlightened by your post/link) myself to be a conservative.
* Colbert CAllS himself a conservative, but he really isn't - he just pretends to be a conservative using satire and sarcasm.
* Other conservatives believe Colbert to be a conservative, and that he believes much of what he says, despite the satire and sarcasm.
* Liberals recognize Colbert's satire and sarcasm for what it is, and correctly surmise that his views as expressed do not indicate what his actual political leanings are.
* Liberals are, thus, intelligent, while Conservatives are, at best, ignorant dupes.

ERGO

If I do not want to be an ignorant dupe (at best), I ought to be liberal.

Thank you so much for that.

Now I've got to go. Got to study why the War on Poverty is actually working.

Honest, intelligent, respectful. Are you *sure* you're a conservative?

Cry Havoc
02-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I get it fine, it's just disingenuous to claim the satire isn't derived from some article of faith held by the satirist.

That doesn't make Colbert unfunny.

Parody, like impersonation, is merely an exaggeration of some basic truth about the subject of the parody.

No, I'm not.

The only time satire doesn't contain an element of truth (from the perspective of the satirist) is when the satire is directed at someone who makes false claims of another person's vice or folly. But, then, the satirist is merely directing the scorn at the liar and not the subject of the lie.

For instance, if a satirist wanted to hold up for ridicule or scorn the idiots on the left who spent years chanting, "Bush lied and people died," he might create satire that incorporates the concept that "Bush lied and people died," without believe the concept to be true...the truth in that satire is that the satirist believes the people who hole that position are the one to be ridiculed and scorned.

The satire is still based on a truth held by the satirist.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

101A
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Honest, intelligent, respectful. Are you *sure* you're a conservative?

(insert "not sure if serious" post)

One of our sarcasm meters is broken.

EVAY
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Yoni has one thing right and the most important thing wrong.

Colbert's humor is indeed based on the exaggeration (to the point of silliness) of an underlying truth.

Said 'kernel of truth' is not, however, the political viewpoint of the punditry he skewers on a nightly basis.

The underlying truth that Colbert exaggerates is the bloviating, emotive, jingoistic punditry of the far-right wing pundits and politicos in American politics.

It is not that he is finding truth in what they say and so exaggerating it. The truth that he is exaggerating is the WAYthat the far-right wing presents their arguments.

In other words, Colbert sees the far-right wing as jingoistic, bloviating, emotive crackpots, and takes that persona to a caricatured level.

That is all he does.

EVAY
02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I always thought that I wasn't crazy about Colbert's humor because I prefer a more understated humor to what he offers.

Never in my life did I imagine that his humor would be considered too nuanced for some people to understand.

Learn something new every day.

Wild Cobra
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
The Irony of Satire

If you say so.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2011, 12:43 PM
If you say so.yoni says so.

Cry Havoc
02-25-2011, 02:07 PM
So... this just happened to go down on the Colbert Report last night:

http://i.imgur.com/v32lQ.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dnfh05JFQ4

Yeah, he's definitely a conservative. :lmao

Marcus Bryant
02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Yoni has one thing right and the most important thing wrong.

Colbert's humor is indeed based on the exaggeration (to the point of silliness) of an underlying truth.

Said 'kernel of truth' is not, however, the political viewpoint of the punditry he skewers on a nightly basis.

The underlying truth that Colbert exaggerates is the bloviating, emotive, jingoistic punditry of the far-right wing pundits and politicos in American politics.

It is not that he is finding truth in what they say and so exaggerating it. The truth that he is exaggerating is the WAYthat the far-right wing presents their arguments.

In other words, Colbert sees the far-right wing as jingoistic, bloviating, emotive crackpots, and takes that persona to a caricatured level.

That is all he does.

I don't particularly enjoy political humor as it is often unfunny. Occasionally a politician manages to say something so stupid that it's hard to screw up the punch line. The ultimate problem is that the humor is so ideologically stilted that it loses its appeal. The other is that it focuses on what some particular media type said and often reeks of inside baseball for those of us who don't give a shit what one moron said about one idiot.

Or, political humor is most amusing when it comes straight from the politician's mouth.

EVAY
02-25-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't particularly enjoy political humor as it is often unfunny. Occasionally a politician manages to say something so stupid that it's hard to screw up the punch line. The ultimate problem is that the humor is so ideologically stilted that it loses its appeal. The other is that it focuses on what some particular media type said and often reeks of inside baseball for those of us who don't give a shit what one moron said about one idiot.

Or, political humor is most amusing when it comes straight from the politician's mouth.

A la Tina Fey's quotes directly from a Palin interview?

Marcus Bryant
02-25-2011, 03:18 PM
If so. Satire has a place and frankly we should be laughing at politicians early and often, before we string them up.

I just find most political humor to be boorish, as it requires that you accept the comedian's particular express or implied ideology, or even better, their conspiracies.

Cry Havoc
02-25-2011, 03:22 PM
If so. Satire has a place and frankly we should be laughing at politicians early and often, before we string them up.

I just find most political humor to be boorish, as it requires that you accept the comedian's particular express or implied ideology, or even better, their conspiracies.

I find this completely untrue. You can laugh at Stewart or Colbert even if you're a conservative, it all depends on whether you regard their comedy as biting seriousness or witty riposte.

I could laugh at someone who didn't support my views but voiced theirs if the humor was eloquent or intelligently designed.

EVAY
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I like some political satire. I like it from folks who pop the pomposity balloons of either side. I think Stewart does that sometimes. Sometimes he goes overboard.

I don't like mean-spirited humor at anyone's expense, and I don't like sophomoric humor directed at anyone.

Generally, Colbert falls into the "Simpson's" or "Confederacy of Dunces" sort of humor, and I just find that tedious.

A great deal of what I see from both sides these days is mean-spirited, with as much subtlety as a battering ram. Right up there with "Animal House".

Marcus Bryant
02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I find this completely untrue. You can laugh at Stewart or Colbert even if you're a conservative, it all depends on whether you regard their comedy as biting seriousness or witty riposte.

I could laugh at someone who didn't support my views but voiced theirs if the humor was eloquent or intelligently designed.

That's only when the frame of reference is common sense rather than ideology. Most commentators tend to eschew common sense and their humor sucks.

EVAY
02-25-2011, 03:29 PM

One of my favorite things that I ever heard Stewart say was at that rally that he and Colbert had on the Mall and Stewart said (paraphrasing) "We are living in Hard Times. We are not living in End Times".

I really liked that.

Marcus Bryant
02-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I like some political satire. I like it from folks who pop the pomposity balloons of either side. I think Stewart does that sometimes. Sometimes he goes overboard.

Stewart can be funny, primarily because his general standard from the times I've viewed his show is common sense rather than whatever particular ideology to which he subscribes.

EVAY
02-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Stewart can be funny, primarily because his general standard from the times I've viewed his show is common sense rather than whatever particular ideology to which he subscribes.

One of my favorite guests on Stewart is Brian Williams, who clearly enjoys engaging Stewart in a back-and-forth wit challenge.

Marcus Bryant
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM
The other thing that's killed humor in popular media, besides ideology, is the unwillingness to offend or rush to be offended, but perhaps that's best left to The Club.

greyforest
02-26-2011, 12:17 AM

Here's what Colbert has to say about it:

At home, Colbert is a doting father who makes sure his kids do not see the other Colbert — he only rarely let his kids watch the show.

"It's just like a pure silly thing. But you know, I truck in insincerity. With a very straight face, I say things I don't believe," Colbert tells Safer.

"Kids can't understand irony or sarcasm, and I don't want them to perceive me as insincere," Colbert says, "Because one night, I'll be putting them to bed and I'll say ... 'I love you, honey.' And they'll say, 'I get it. Very dry, Dad. That's good stuff,'" jokes Colbert.

Meantime, insincerity is paying big dividends and playing to more than a million people a night.

"Is there any possibility of the danger of you starting to believe yourself?" Safer asked.

"I hope so," Colbert replied. "I think that's the only hope that I'll actually do this job right — if I begin to believe my own line of crap."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/27/60minutes/main1553506_page4.shtml

BTW Colbert has a respectable amount of balls:
BSE_saVX_2A

Nbadan
02-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Let's recap

KZeKaEFHAlg

Oh, Gee!!
02-26-2011, 01:50 AM
He's making fun of you. He thinks you're a clown.

winner

RandomGuy
02-10-2021, 11:58 AM

Still lurking...

What you up to these days? One has to wonder.

boutons_deux
02-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Still lurking...

What you up to these days? One has to wonder.

Didn't Pussy Eater die, or was that some other RWNJ

RandomGuy
02-10-2021, 02:25 PM
Didn't Pussy Eater die, or was that some other RWNJ

oops. Looked at Yoni's last log in as 2-5-20, and thought that was a few days ago... wrong year...

RandomGuy
04-21-2022, 03:50 AM

:rollin

This didn't age well.