PDA

View Full Version : Are there awards for post of the year? Downfall of the Spurs

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Adding onto my previous post on big men who have been ping-ponged around the league the past two years....
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173014

Tyson Chandler
Hakim Warrick
Nazr
Al Jefferson
Turiaf
Kaman
Camby
Landry
Dampier
Zeke
Shaq
Jermaine Oneal
Haslem
Favors )
Gortat
DeAndre Jordan
Haywood
Diop
Okafor
Dalembert
Villanueva
HASHIM THABEET
JOEL PRYZBILLA
NAZR MOHAMMED
KENDRICK PERKINS

Props to Presti recognizing size really matters (no homo) and giving away is lottery pick for an average 7footer....oh my bad, he was able to get TWO of them.

Anyway i'm done discussing this with homer spurs fans who won't admit the FO dropped the ball these past 2-3 seasons. Everyone who talks about the best record or stats compared to the rest of the league, ya'll are idiots. 25 of the teams aren't contenders. We score the most out of the elites and give up the most points defensively compared to them too..plus we're the smallest. If you don't see this as a problem especially in 7 games series, ya'll are fucking morons. Please feel free to re-read my post come playoff time when you're yelling at pop through your tv screen for having bonner go up against bynum or gasol or chandler or haywood or nazr or perkins...props to everyone who agreed with me on my original post too...I'm gonna love other teams screwing pop up the rear with his own championship system of starting 2 seven footers...Go Spurs GO!!

Kermit
02-25-2011, 12:27 AM
So, I watched Breaking Bad for the first time tonight and I got to tell you, I'm hooked! Anyone else watch this show? It's amazing.

itzsoweezee
02-25-2011, 12:27 AM
The issue isn't that the Spurs are small and the front office isn't trying to make the team bigger. The issue is, even if the Spurs acquire another big man, Popovich will not play him.

ChuckD
02-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Please never post again.

Shifty
02-25-2011, 12:35 AM
So, I watched Breaking Bad for the first time tonight and I got to tell you, I'm hooked! Anyone else watch this show? It's amazing.
I haven't seen it yet.

ajballer4
02-25-2011, 12:41 AM
DeAndre Jordan has been in LA his whole career...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I can assure you that your OP will NOT feature in any post of the year vote, if there was one. :nope

Adding onto my previous post on big men who have been ping-ponged around the league the past two years....

Tyson Chandler
Hakim Warrick
Nazr
Al Jefferson
Turiaf
Kaman
Camby
Landry
Dampier
Zeke
Shaq
Jermaine Oneal
Haslem
Favors )
Gortat
DeAndre Jordan
Haywood
Diop
Okafor
Dalembert
Villanueva
HASHIM THABEET
JOEL PRYZBILLA
NAZR MOHAMMED
KENDRICK PERKINS

Props to Presti recognizing size really matters (no homo) and giving away is lottery pick for an average 7footer....oh my bad, he was able to get TWO of them.

Anyway i'm done discussing this with homer spurs fans who won't admit the FO dropped the ball these past 2-3 seasons. Everyone who talks about the best record or stats compared to the rest of the league, ya'll are idiots. 25 of the teams aren't contenders. We score the most out of the elites and give up the most points defensively compared to them too..plus we're the smallest. If you don't see this as a problem especially in 7 games series, ya'll are fucking morons. Please feel free to re-read my post come playoff time when you're yelling at pop through your tv screen for having bonner go up against bynum or gasol or chandler or haywood or nazr or perkins...props to everyone who agreed with me on my original post too...I'm gonna love other teams screwing pop up the rear with his own championship system of starting 2 seven footers...Go Spurs GO!!

Massively flawed list. Some of those guys haven't been available, others are studs we didn't have the assets to acquire, and yet others would be no help to us - you really think Charlie V, Hasheem Thabeet or the return of Nazr would be difference-makers? :lmao Also, you say you want a big but then include undersized guys like Hakim Warrick and Carl Landry? :rolleyes If you're going to make an argument don't use hyperbole and spurious lists to support it - makes you look like an idiot.

The FO clearly believe that Splitter will fill the hole in the frontcourt, and I think he will, but it will probably be next season.

As for this year, all season the current rotation has been getting it done, even in slow-down games against two 7-footers (see LAL games). I think Dice is crucial, and in the playoffs the rotation will feature a lot of him. He's an excellent defender for Dirk, for example.

This team has the flexibility, talent and chemistry to go deep in the playoffs. Just how deep will come down to good fortune.

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 12:46 AM
DeAndre Jordan has been in LA his whole career...

deandre jordan was drafted in the second round of the 2008 draft. We got hill at #26 and drafted Dragic at #45....deandre was #35......two guards for us, one of whom we traded away

4>0rings
02-25-2011, 12:47 AM
One of the best shows on TV right now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM
deandre jordan was drafted in the second round of the 2008 draft. We got hill at #26 and drafted Dragic at #45....deandre was #35......two guards for us, one of whom we traded away

So, he hasn't "ping-ponged around the NBA" then, has he?

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, but when he was drafted DA wasn't even a lock to make the team.

Cry Havoc

Yes, if only we had the $200,000,000 per year in cash necessary to sign every player ever to put on a Spurs jersey to a lifetime contract.

Gregzilla
I can assure you that your OP will NOT feature in any post of the year vote, if there was one. :nope

Massively flawed list. Some of those guys haven't been available, others are studs we didn't have the assets to acquire, and yet others would be no help to us - you really think Charlie V, Hasheem Thabeet or the return of Nazr would be difference-makers? :lmao Also, you say you want a big but then include undersized guys like Hakim Warrick and Carl Landry? :rolleyes If you're going to make an argument don't use hyperbole and spurious lists to support it - makes you look like an idiot.

The FO clearly believe that Splitter will fill the hole in the frontcourt, and I think he will, but it will probably be next season.

As for this year, all season the current rotation has been getting it done, even in slow-down games against two 7-footers (see LAL games). I think Dice is crucial, and in the playoffs the rotation will feature a lot of him. He's an excellent defender for Dirk, for example.

This team has the flexibility, talent and chemistry to go deep in the playoffs. Just how deep will come down to good fortune.

So the return of a starting Center who we won a championship with wouldn't help us right now? Bonner and an undersized pf would though right?...please don't reply again.

ElNono
You forgot to add Dice to that list...

Mel_13
02-25-2011, 12:49 AM

How exactly were we supposed to use the 45th pick to draft a guy selected with 35th pick?

Plus we drafted Dragic for Phoenix and received the 48th pick that year (Hairston) and the 37th pick in 2009 (Blair).

Darkwaters

Traded away and got Malik Hairston and another pick who eventually became DeJuan Blair. Clearly a bad trade for us. Especially when you consider that Holt also got cash out of the deal.

You're a moron.

Mr. Body
You said Nazr twice.

Darkwaters
02-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Yes, if only we had the $200,000,000 per year in cash necessary to sign every player ever to put on a Spurs jersey to a lifetime contract.

But if we had that much money we wouldn't have enough roster spots. I propose that in the new CBA we increase the roster maximum from 15 to 50 (with 45 active and 5 inactive).

Oh damn, now there won't be enough minutes for all the players. Ok, we'll play 10 on 10.

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 12:51 AM

hey idiot, it's called "making moves"...so the SMARTEST FO in the league couldn't manage a way to move up in the second round to get a raw/athletic 7footer that some predicted should be a first round pick?....no, they'd rather stand pat and draft ANOTHER euro and trade them away to PHX...who by the way dropped 40 on our fucking faces last year during the SWEEP

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-25-2011, 12:53 AM
So the return of a starting Center who we won a championship with wouldn't help us right now? Bonner and an undersized pf would though right?...please don't reply again.

Why exactly did we let Nazr leave if he's such an asset? The guy has stone hands and lumbers around - he doesn't suit the style of the team any more, and I don't think he's the difference between winning and losing the championship. Hell, he couldn't even hold down the starting job in CHARLOTTE! :lmao

Also, don't put words in my mouth, try reading what I actually say, fucktard.

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 12:53 AM
is malik hairston's name REALLY coming up in this? talk about homers

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-25-2011, 12:54 AM
You said Nazr twice.

I think he wants to have Nazr's babies... :lmao

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 12:54 AM
You said Nazr twice.

lol

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Why exactly did we let Nazr leave if he's such an asset? The guy has stone hands and lumbers around - he doesn't suit the style of the team any more, and I don't think he's the difference between winning and losing the championship. Hell, he couldn't even hold down the starting job in CHARLOTTE! :lmao

hey fucktard, NONE of the bigs besides tim were key to winning the championships. The point is, and always has been...ANY ONE of those guys listed would be an UPGRADE from starting bonner or blair. An upgrade in the front court is what we have been needing for 3 years and I don't think we were aggressive enough in getting one. We signed splitter who pop won't play, and mcdyess who is only 6'9.

ChuckD
02-25-2011, 01:02 AM
hey fucktard, NONE of the bigs besides tim were key to winning the championships. The point is, and always has been...ANY ONE of those guys listed would be an UPGRADE from starting bonner or blair. An upgrade in the front court is what we have been needing for 3 years and I don't think we were aggressive enough in getting one. We signed splitter who pop won't play, and mcdyess who is only 6'9.

Oberto was 6'9", and we ringed with him starting.

Darkwaters
02-25-2011, 01:04 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/fail_thread.jpg

Shifty
02-25-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm still waiting for any of these FO-criticizing posters to even consider giving an example of an available trade we could have done that would have actually make the team better AND MORE IMPORTANTLY that the other team would be willing to accept. Most players in these lists are not better than what we have right now or are not going to be given to us without losing so much players that we end up worse than we are now.

And please, don't say it is not up to you to come up with those scenarios. Well, if you want to convince people that the FO "dropped the ball" then give a good example of it. Just one.

To quote a good poster from some of these threads: Waiting...

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm still waiting for any of these FO-criticizing posters to even consider giving an example of an available trade we could have done that would have actually make the team better AND MORE IMPORTANTLY that the other team would be willing to accept. Most players in these lists are not better than what we have right now or are not going to be given to us without losing so much players that we end up worse than we are now.

And please, don't say it is not up to you to come up with those scenarios. Well, if you want to convince people that the FO "dropped the ball" then give a good example of it. Just one.

smh at you wanting me to use the ESPN "trade machine" to prove my point. Face it bro, we resigned bonner for what 5 yrs? Signed a 35 yr old pf, won't play our young 7 footer, and drafter blair who is good..but undersized. All of those guys except for maybe 3 will be an upgrade starting next to timmy just for length and rebounding. Every other big we have on our roster are bench players who we have to start because we have no other viable option.

Darkwaters
02-25-2011, 01:12 AM

The grass is always greener...

eisfeld
02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
http://500motivators.com/plog-content/thumbs/motivate/me/large/668-timestamps-because-obvious-troll-is-obvious.jpg

Mel_13
02-25-2011, 01:18 AM
smh at you wanting me to use the ESPN "draft machine" to prove my point.

Just make your case. Take Chandler, for example. Go back to this summer and look at the transaction between Dallas and Charlotte. Now look at the tradeable players on the Spurs roster at the time of the trade. Tell us how the Spurs could have bettered, or even matched, the offer made by Dallas.

Real simple.

We'll wait.

Shifty
02-25-2011, 01:23 AM
smh at you wanting me to use the ESPN "draft machine" to prove my point. Face it bro, we resigned bonner for what 5 yrs? Signed a 35 yr old pf, won't play our young 7 footer, and drafter blair who is good..but undersized. All of those guys except for maybe 3 will be an upgrade starting next to timmy just for length and rebounding. Every other big we have on our roster are bench players who we have to start because we have no other viable option.

If you don't have one single example to urge you to make theses threads and make what now seem like hundreds of post, how are you so convinced they dropped the ball then? Waiting...

Again, we get that you believe many of these players are better than what we have right now but we are asking you, to please give us one trade scenario where we get one of those players so we can evaluate if the FO "dropped the ball" or not.

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Just make your case. Take Chandler, for example. Go back to this summer and look at the transaction between Dallas and Charlotte. Now look at the tradeable players on the Spurs roster at the time of the trade. Tell us how the Spurs could have bettered, or even matched, the offer made by Dallas.

Real simple.

We'll wait.

without getting into salary caps and numbers..I'm sure the spurs DID inquire about bigs (like chandler) but probably refused to give up players that were NOT the big 3....Im sure okc would have much rather traded kristic for perk straight up but Boston wasn't gonna have that. They wanted their lottery pick greene too and Presti pulled the trigger. It's a gamble but hey, to him he's making his team better with size.

I don't need specific examples but you know as well as I know, there were offers that would have worked financially but the spurs didn't want to risk anybody outside of tim tony and manu...everyone else (except rj) imo is/has been expendable.

Mel_13
02-25-2011, 01:29 AM
without getting into salary caps and numbers..I'm sure the spurs DID inquire about bigs (like chandler) but probably refused to give up players that were NOT the big 3....Im sure okc would have much rather trade kristic for perk straight up but Boston wasn't gonna have that. They wanted their lotter pick greene and Presti pulled the trigger. It's a gamble but hey, to him he's making his team better with size.

Didn't answer the question.

How could the Spurs have made better offers, either with respect to Chandler or the OKC trades.

I'll say it again. If you can't show how the Spurs could have bettered or matched the offers made in those deals, then no ball was dropped.

Splits
02-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Assholes who write factless diatribes about the most successful front office in the NBA the past 15 years are assholes. You lead "asshole post of the year". For being an asshole.

EricB
02-25-2011, 01:35 AM

Its not their job to come up with that.

Its just their job to mindlessly bitch about nothing and flood the forum with bandwidth wasting BS.

EricB
02-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Didn't answer the question.

How could the Spurs have made better offers, either with respect to Chandler or the OKC trades.

I'll say it again. If you can't show how the Spurs could have bettered or matched the offers made in those deals, then no ball was dropped.

I think Fabbs has mutated into someone else Mel.

Looks like were just hitting our heads against the wall with this fucktard.

Darkwaters
02-25-2011, 01:39 AM
I don't need specific examples but you know as well as I know, there were offers that would have worked financially but the spurs didn't want to risk anybody outside of tim tony and manu...everyone else (except rj) imo is/has been expendable.

You might not need them but we sure as hell do. You really suck at this you know.

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 01:41 AM
Assholes who write factless diatribes about the most successful front office in the NBA the past 15 years are assholes. You lead "asshole post of the year". For being an asshole.

Sorry bro, in my eyes the spurs front office has only been successful 4 years. Take your soft ass, spurs loving, "go spurs go", fan fiesta azz outta this thread. Great organization, no dout.....best winning % of all sports teams the last decade...yea i know. But I just want another ship..that's it.

jjktkk
02-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Sorry bro, in my eyes the spurs front office has only been successful 4 years. Take your soft ass, spurs loving, "go spurs go", fan fiesta azz outta this thread. Great organization, no dout.....best winning % of all sports teams the last decade...yea i know. But I just want another ship..that's it.

Refocus.

EricB
02-25-2011, 01:50 AM

Your a fan post 99.

People like you are ungrateful fucks who don't deserve to even walk in the goddamn arena.

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Your a fan post 99.

People like you are ungrateful fucks who don't deserve to even walk in the goddamn arena.

You're too attached bro...it's entertainment, spurs make money off you..don't know you exist, and don't care about you. I respect them as an organization but it's just basketball and I watch as a fan because i get to talk shit to other people if my team beats their team. And guess what? It's not even MY team? And i don't even PLAY on that team...shocker!! You're obviously over the age of 40 so the "Best Franchise" title means more to you than it does to me. Good for you. I deserve to be in the arena because i'm a fan but at the moment I am not happy with the FO not getting a F/C next to timmy

Splits
02-25-2011, 02:05 AM
The OP has a spiggot which he can turn on at any time and random, ridiculous, stupid phrases of partial fact and mindless fiction with a tinge of passion become sentences that just get strung together. It's pretty fascinating, makes me want to be a shrink.

Gregzilla
02-25-2011, 02:18 AM
some of you guys are such spurs STANS it's sickening..as fan's we're allowed to say what we want about our team or FO in this case..but if it's something negative all of you come out with "best franchise"..."best record"..."you don't belong in our arena" bullshit...get a fucking life. It's basketball

Shifty
02-25-2011, 02:48 AM
So this is what has come down to because you cannot give one example of why you think the way you do?

If all you got was those phrases then you haven't been reading what we answer and above question.

'night.

FromWayDowntown
02-25-2011, 06:54 AM
I didn't realize that it could be so hard to come up with a concrete example to support an argument. Over at least 2 threads covering at least 3 days, the arguments get more and more generic - it's a remarkable shift in the way that arguments tend to be made.

Of course, I'm still waithg for proof that "haven't made a trade" = "hasn't tried to make a trade". Or a reason that the Spurs acquisitions of Kurt Thomas, Drew Gooden, Theo Ratliff, Antonio McDyess, Dejuan Blair, and Tiago Splitter just in the last 3-4 years are irrelevant to this discussion. If the point is that the Spurs have been unwilling to pursue even serviceable bigs, that list would seem to be a fairly inconvenient truth.

portnoy1
02-25-2011, 07:33 AM
The issue isn't that the Spurs are small and the front office isn't trying to make the team bigger. The issue is, even if the Spurs acquire another big man, Popovich will not play him.
Exactly!!!!! And the reason he wont play is because the so-called big most likely cant shoot a midrange jumper and create a little space for the big 3. Or if he can shoot, then the problem is defensively he is not mobile enough to guard Pf's since Tim doesnt have a shot.

cutewizard
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
guys let us all calm down....

we can still remedy this....

there are solutions

cutewizard
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
where the hell is Splitter anyway???

portnoy1
02-25-2011, 07:54 AM
where the hell is Splitter anyway???
The same place he has been since the start of season, NOT PLAYING!!!!:depressed

ChuckD
02-25-2011, 08:07 AM

Obvious sequ troll is obvious. You're too short and your posts are too long by their exact character count.

ChuckD
02-25-2011, 08:08 AM
The same place he has been since the start of season,INJURED!!!!:depressed

fify

Dice
02-25-2011, 08:12 AM
How many guys on the original list are going to win a Championship this year?

FromWayDowntown
02-25-2011, 08:24 AM
How many guys on the original list are going to win a Championship this year?

Because they're all tall, I'm going to say all of them.

Russ
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
So, he hasn't "ping-ponged around the NBA" then, has he?

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, but when he was drafted DA wasn't even a lock to make the team.

Jordan was thought to be raw (young) but have big upside. Most mock drafts had him mid-first round and it was fairly surprising that he fell to the 2d round.

http://www.nbadraft.net/mocks/2008_nba_mock_draft.html

ambchang
02-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Dude acts like we are LA and can pull some sort of collusion. Only way we ever land quality big man is through tank jobs.

anakha
02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Can't help but chuckle at the sudden influx of trolls/tards recently.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm still waiting for any of these FO-criticizing posters to even consider giving an example of an available trade we could have done that would have actually make the team better AND MORE IMPORTANTLY that the other team would be willing to accept.

You will be waiting a long time. Even the "good" posters who are upset about the non-activity are unwilling to discuss a real world trade scenario that would meet those qualifications. Not to mention the fact that a major move would undoubtedly disturb the chemistry of a 47 and 10 team.
It's obvious that a major move was never in the gameplan, nor should it have been.
The Spurs are going to evaluate Anderson and Splitter's potential contribution to a post season rotation and make a move accordingly via the waiver wire.
The fact that the Spurs did not make a panic move, ala Boston, shows that they are confident moving forward. None of the top contenders, save Boston, made moves. One could argue that OKC made moves that put them in contention, but that remains to be seen.

703 Spurz
02-25-2011, 11:36 AM

Tyson Chandler
Hakim Warrick
Nazr
Al Jefferson
Turiaf
Kaman
Camby
Landry
Dampier
Zeke
Shaq
Jermaine Oneal
Haslem
Favors )
Gortat
DeAndre Jordan
Haywood
Diop
Okafor
Dalembert
Villanueva
HASHIM THABEET
JOEL PRYZBILLA
NAZR MOHAMMED
KENDRICK PERKINS

Yeah, you're 'so done' you keep creating threads about the same thing.

Fucking moron.

DrSteffo
02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Please never post again.

This.

xmas1997
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
You will be waiting a long time. Even the "good" posters who are upset about the non-activity are unwilling to discuss a real world trade scenario that would meet those qualifications. Not to mention the fact that a major move would undoubtedly disturb the chemistry of a 47 and 10 team.
It's obvious that a major move was never in the gameplan, nor should it have been.
The Spurs are going to evaluate Anderson and Splitter's potential contribution to a post season rotation and make a move accordingly via the waiver wire.
The fact that the Spurs did not make a panic move, ala Boston, shows that they are confident moving forward. None of the top contenders, save Boston, made moves. One could argue that OKC made moves that put them in contention, but that remains to be seen.

This makes perfect sense to me. Why is it so hard for others not to recognize this?
I don't delude myself thinking that the Spurs as they presently play defense the way they do are true championship caliber. It is obvious they aren't until they achieve CONSISTENT defense.
Pop knows this. It's why he keeps harping on the issue.
There is no need to panic. You would think we were 10 - 47 rather than the other way around by some posters remarks.
If they do make a move and pick someone up, then I have no doubt it will be the best player available, who will come here, to most completely satisfy those defensive needs.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Here is my nominee for post of the year:
matt bonners 40 million

rascal
02-26-2011, 07:27 PM

You will be another one shedding tears when the spurs go down.

rascal
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Its not their job to come up with that.

Its just their job to mindlessly bitch about nothing and flood the forum with bandwidth wasting BS.

You'll be the first to bail on the team when they go down a couple of games in the playoffs. Like that meltdown a couple years back. It was so bad you changed your username.

jimo2305
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
lmao.. wow this thread brings in the LOLs.. keep it goin'

rascal
02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
I remember in the past when the spurs go down in the playoffs the loudest homers go into hiding for awhile. You won't see many people in here that are arguing that the spurs are fine now as they are.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-26-2011, 11:49 PM
You will be another one shedding tears when the spurs go down.

And you won't?

So we know whose troll this is now, eh? :lol

rascal
02-26-2011, 11:52 PM
And you won't?

So we know whose troll this is now, eh? :lol

I won't because I don't expect the spurs to even get to the finals.
I don't get the bold part.

admiralsnackbar
02-27-2011, 12:14 AM

Dropping science like Galileo dropped the orange. Me? I'm waiting until we're three-deep with every top-shelf player at every position!

Cheering for teams with uncertain futures is for liver flukes, amiright?

Mel_13
02-27-2011, 12:19 AM
You'll be the first to bail on the team when they go down a couple of games in the playoffs.

Now that's some first class irony right there.

admiralsnackbar
02-27-2011, 12:22 AM

Ain't it just? :lol

Blackjack
02-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Here is my nominee for post of the year:

matt bonners 40 million

Noted. :tu

Trimble87
02-27-2011, 12:37 AM

best show currently on T.V

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Jordan was thought to be raw (young) but have big upside. Most mock drafts had him mid-first round and it was fairly surprising that he fell to the 2d round.

http://www.nbadraft.net/mocks/2008_nba_mock_draft.html

Fair enough. BTW, I'm really glad he panned out because I enjoy watching him play.

Still, that doesn't do anything to change my original point which was the epic failure of the OP's list.

I remember in the past when the spurs go down in the playoffs the loudest homers go into hiding for awhile. You won't see many people in here that are arguing that the spurs are fine now as they are.

Hmmm, so you are arguing that people won't be singing the praises of the team after we've lost, if that is the way the season ends... hmmmm... NO SHIT, SHERLOCK! :rolleyes

That doesn't change the fact that there weren't a lot of players we could have nabbed at the deadline that could've helped us, nor the fact that the FO has been signing different veteran bigs frequently to try to put us over the top during the last 4 years, a point well covered by FWD on page 2 of this thread:

Of course, I'm still waithg for proof that "haven't made a trade" = "hasn't tried to make a trade". Or a reason that the Spurs acquisitions of Kurt Thomas, Drew Gooden, Theo Ratliff, Antonio McDyess, Dejuan Blair, and Tiago Splitter just in the last 3-4 years are irrelevant to this discussion. If the point is that the Spurs have been unwilling to pursue even serviceable bigs, that list would seem to be a fairly inconvenient truth.

I don't get the bold part.

So gregzilla isn't your troll? Okay then.

Damn straight. :lmao

vander
02-27-2011, 07:17 AM

I used to like that show, then it disappeared, I thought I had my DVR set to record new episodes, but supposedly it's already on season 4, and I think I've only seen two seasons :wtf

Whenever I hear that song Wonderful Night I think of Breaking Bad

Em-City
02-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Dropping science like Galileo dropped the orange. Me? I'm waiting until we're three-deep with every top-shelf player at every position!

Cheering for teams with uncertain futures is for liver flukes, amiright?

is that a beasty boys line?

Gregzilla
05-03-2011, 01:29 AM
lmao...

ChumpDumper
05-03-2011, 04:49 AM
lmao...lmao indeed.

You forgot who you were pimping in this thread.

rascal
05-03-2011, 11:16 AM

It's not up to anyone here to convince you that the Spurs dropped the ball. Just look at the first round flameout and that should be enough convincing.

rascal
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Another one who didn't want the spurs to make any moves.

If you would have looked at the Spurs roster instead of the record you would have seen an inferior frontline not capable of winning a title.

Agloco
05-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Another one who didn't want the spurs to make any moves.

If you would have looked at the Spurs roster instead of the record you would have seen an inferior frontline not capable of winning a title.

So looking back, who do you propose we should have traded for? As most people are quick to point out, our roster is stacked with unwanted people.

So instead of saying "Told you so", lay out a scenario that would have improved the team. I have yet to see anything remotely resembling that.

jjktkk
05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
So looking back, who do you propose we should have traded for? As most people are quick to point out, our roster is stacked with unwanted people.

So instead of saying "Told you so", lay out a scenario that would have improved the team. I have yet to see anything remotely resembling that.

This.

TJastal
05-05-2011, 08:43 AM

How about not resigning Bonner and keeping Ian (an athletic 7 footer) around at 1/5 the cost?

How about not restructuring Richard Jefferson's contract and actively looking to deal him by the trade deadline?

And just taking a quick glance at the trade deadline, Semiyah Erdan was available for a 2nd rounder and the thunder plucked Nazr Mohammed for a bag of chips and a toros' seat cushion. So opportunities were available for the spurs, yet nothing got done.

But in true popsucker fashion I'm sure you'll tell us all that Pop tried everything in his power to get something done. :lol :rollin

Agloco
05-05-2011, 10:16 AM
How about not resigning Bonner and keeping Ian (an athletic 7 footer) around at 1/5 the cost?

How about not restructuring Richard Jefferson's contract and actively looking to deal him by the trade deadline?

And just taking a quick glance at the trade deadline, Semiyah Erdan was available for a 2nd rounder and the thunder plucked Nazr Mohammed for a bag of chips and a toros' seat cushion. So opportunities were available for the spurs, yet nothing got done.

But in true popsucker fashion I'm sure you'll tell us all that Pop tried everything in his power to get something done. :lol :rollin

And you're qualified to tell us otherwise? :rolleyes

Erdan? The ghost of Mohammed? :lol

Who replaces RJ in the lineup? The quality starter we'd get in return for him? The 1.5-footed Anderson?

For the record, I like Ian and hated to see him go so soon. But.......what leads you to believe that Ian would suddenly be any more polished than Tiago was this year? I don't think Ian is a factor for at least another year yet.

TJastal
05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
And you're qualified to tell us otherwise? :rolleyes

Erdan? The ghost of Mohammed? :lol

Who replaces RJ in the lineup? The quality starter we'd get in return for him? The 1.5-footed Anderson?

For the record, I like Ian and hated to see him go so soon. But.......what leads you to believe that Ian would suddenly be any more polished than Tiago was this year? I don't think Ian is a factor for at least another year yet.

Yanny might get his chance sooner than later, did you see how awful Brenda looked in game 2? Hard to believe there was so many threads clamoring for the spurs to sign this guy..

As for Jefferson, I'll give Pop somewhat of a pass... the way he was playing midway through the year I don't think many people could have foresaw the total collapse that was looming. But I think he could have been dealt, Gerald Wallace was available for the taking... hell maybe Michael Jordan finally got bored with the opposite sex and wanted a new playtoy... in which case seeya RJ & don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

underdawg
05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Who replaces RJ in the lineup? The quality starter we'd get in return for him?

his 6pts and 4 rebounds in the playoffs shouldn't have been that hard to replace.

I think the Spurs gambled on 2 players (RJ&Boner) and gave to much credit to corporate knowledge to leverage the risk. Now they're stuck with 2 bad contracts - why no gamble on players with more upside?

Tyrus Thomas and Travis Outlaw - considered bad contracts, but that's a gamble that was needed more than what the Spurs did. Both players are young - 23 & 25 respectively and their salaries are not that far from RJ & Boner.

I don't know if it's possible, but is there a coincidence that after Presti and Pritchard left (maybe just Presti,) the Spurs stopped getting quality players? I know the big 3 have aged, but to go from Horry, Barry, Jackson, Claxton, Rasho, Nazr, Kerr to old Finley, Mason, Bogans (he was bad for the Spurs), Udoka, Bonner (yes he was traded while Presti was here), etc.

Is Pop still connected to this team for more than a good regular season record? Why do his role players contiune to underperform?

05-05-2011, 03:25 PM
defending the jefferson and bonner signings is a losing battle. spurs should have never even tried to "reload." think about how much better off the spurs will be if they accepted reality sooner and went through 2-3 years of quick rebuilding and being patient. spurs won't have the untradeable jefferson and bonner, giving them more room to maneuver. i'm beginning to think the lakers were on to something when they spent a few years in the lottery and first rounds of the playoffs. spurs needed to be patient, instead they blew it by handing out these ridiculous contracts to jefferson and bonner.

jjktkk
05-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Do you actually think before you post? Resigning Mahimni would of further kept Splitter on the bench. That would of been 3 young bigs needing development and minutes.

jjktkk
05-05-2011, 03:49 PM
defending the jefferson and bonner signings is a losing battle. spurs should have never even tried to "reload." think about how much better off the spurs will be if they accepted reality sooner and went through 2-3 years of quick rebuilding and being patient. spurs won't have the untradeable jefferson and bonner, giving them more room to maneuver. i'm beginning to think the lakers were on to something when they spent a few years in the lottery and first rounds of the playoffs. spurs needed to be patient, instead they blew it by handing out these ridiculous contracts to jefferson and bonner.

I understand your opinion, but actually I was opptimistic prior to the season started that with the big 3 healthy, and a retooled RJ, etc..., I thought the Spurs had a shot, so I'm glad the FO tried to load up and make a run with this current group of Spurs.

spursfaninla
05-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I understand your opinion, but actually I was opptimistic prior to the season started that with the big 3 healthy, and a retooled RJ, etc..., I thought the Spurs had a shot, so I'm glad the FO tried to load up and make a run with this current group of Spurs.

agree

TJastal
05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Do you actually think before you post? Resigning Mahimni would of further kept Splitter on the bench. That would of been 3 young bigs needing development and minutes.

Dude that's what the spurs should be doing, rebuilding. Just how much longer do you think the Duncan era is going to last? The curtain is closing if you haven't noticed. The spurs are going to need to get some replacements.

And considering the fact that hordes of ppl around this forum wanted to sign Brendan Haywood for probably some outrageous amount of money, Ian was an ultra cheap option who is just as good if not better.

And Ian would have gotten minutes if Bonner is allowed to walk into free agency (where I'm sure some foolhardy team would have taken a gamble).

Then simply feed Splitter Blair's minutes (tough luck Dejuan)... problem solved.

05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
i was optimistic too until i quickly realized that the FO still failed to address the problem of size. even with the retooled roster, many still understood the need for defense and size to get past the lakers. it's hard to imagine that the spurs truly believed this team would make it to the finals without making dramatic changes to the front line. thinking objectively, did you truly believe the spurs had the team to challenge the lakers?

teams like boston and heat packed their frontlines with as many bigs as they could find. spurs instead decided to re sign jefferson and bonner, crossing their fingers, and closing their eyes hoping this would work. it's almost frustrating that the spurs refuse to make dramatic changes. letting bonner and jefferson go would have weakened the spurs temporarily but could have opened opportunities later. for example, spurs could have made a trade using jefferson's expiring. even letting him go would create some space for the luxury cap allergic spurs. this spurs roster was not capable of making it to the finals this season and adding more dead weight is just going to hinder the spurs' prospects even more.

jjktkk
05-05-2011, 06:59 PM
i was optimistic too until i quickly realized that the FO still failed to address the problem of size. even with the retooled roster, many still understood the need for defense and size to get past the lakers. it's hard to imagine that the spurs truly believed this team would make it to the finals without making dramatic changes to the front line. thinking objectively, did you truly believe the spurs had the team to challenge the lakers?

teams like boston and heat packed their frontlines with as many bigs as they could find. spurs instead decided to re sign jefferson and bonner, crossing their fingers, and closing their eyes hoping this would work. it's almost frustrating that the spurs refuse to make dramatic changes. letting bonner and jefferson go would have weakened the spurs temporarily but could have opened opportunities later. for example, spurs could have made a trade using jefferson's expiring. even letting him go would create some space for the luxury cap allergic spurs. this spurs roster was not capable of making it to the finals this season and adding more dead weight is just going to hinder the spurs' prospects even more.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe Pop/RC felt obligated to let the big 3 try one more run. Who knows. I wouldn't of shed tears if Bonner had left, but even though RJ was overpaid imo, the Spurs did not have a sf in place when they reupped RJ. The Spurs needed a starting sf. I'm sure pretty much the same process will happen for next season as well, and there probably won't be alot of roster moves either.

Proxy
05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
We won't do much this offseason. I would guess a midseason trade if anything...

Pop needs to get Tiago and Timmy in the starting lineup together.... and we need a defender on the perimeter. RJ, Hill, and Neal are not good enough on defense.... Bonner and Blair aren't defensive stoppers either due to lack of athleticism, size, toughness, and any combination...

in fact, the only defensive capable stalwarts we have are Timmy and Manu... and one isn't stellar man to man, and the other isn't stellar at defending the 3 (respectively)...

I thought Hill was suppose to be good, but I didn't see him stop any of the Memphis players he guarded, and it seems he's weak at guarding the post.

So in conclusion, we have a pussy team that can't defend, and an undersized front court outside an old Timmy and rookie Tiago. Where are the Bowens, Elies, and Horrys that proved so important to the championship years? Where is the defense RC?

Gregzilla
04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
re-up