PDA

View Full Version : Buyout Options?

Pages : [1] 2

futureAE
02-25-2011, 01:47 AM
We could use some depth in the front court being a center or small forward. Any thoughts or clues as to who might be open and who might be a good pick should a buy out occur...

edgar
02-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Balkman! G.O.A.T

m33p0
02-25-2011, 02:16 AM
we'll have to wait and see.

Shifty
02-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Now this is a good thread about how we can fill holes in our lineup. Bruno, or any other cap guys what are our options and restrictions money wise? What can we offer?

Gagnrath
02-25-2011, 04:44 AM
The Bobkittens waived a pair of fairly young combo forwards, either would be worth the spurs taking a chance on. Neither is really quite what the spurs need but both provide a bit of an insurance policy as an athletic big small forward that can play defense. They both lack much of an outside shot but both rebound well, play pretty hard defense and can guard the larger small forwards that Manu and Hill can't. It would help provide some sf depth for when jefferson is resting. Either will do.

Mal
02-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Spurs shouldnt touch roster.

angelbelow
02-25-2011, 06:05 AM
This is always an interesting time during the NBA season. We have to wait and see who gets bought out and whether its beneficial to bring them on.

Darkwaters
02-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Potential buyout targets:

Tracy McGrady (less likely now considering Detroit's current activity)
Rasual Butler
Troy Murphy
Jason Kapono
Jamario Moon

benefactor
02-25-2011, 06:37 AM
As of right now my short list is Butler, Brown and McGuire in that order.

portnoy1
02-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Tracy McGrady (less likely now considering Detroit's current activity)
Rasual Butler
Troy Murphy
Jason Kapono
Jamario Moon
I like Jamario moon, and murphy. either one of those guys. Moon is an athletic 3 that can defend and is solid rebound. And murphy is simply Matt bonner with balls.

Shifty
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Marc Stein says Pryzbilla has a chance to be bought out. He could be the missing big a lot of people have been asking for.

Mel_13
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Now this is a good thread about how we can fill holes in our lineup. Bruno, or any other cap guys what are our options and restrictions money wise? What can we offer?

Most of these guys will sign for a prorated portion of the vet minimum. The Spurs can offer more than that since they retain over 1.5M of the MLE, but the real controlling factor is the luxury tax line. The Spurs are about 1M under the line now. It's extremely unlikely that they'll make any moves that will put them above the line. They must sign at least one player to a contract for the remainder of the season.

xmas1997
02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
What we really don't know is if the Spurs are actively looking in any of those directions.
We can only assume they are unless someone has some insider information that they are.

Mel_13
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
What we really don't know is if the Spurs are actively looking in any of those directions.
We can only assume they are unless someone has some insider information that they are.

Well, they have to sign at least one player. Perimeter defender/backup SF is the area of greatest need.

xmas1997
02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Well, they have to sign at least one player. Perimeter defender/backup SF is the area of greatest need.

True, they have to have 13 players, which after signing numb nuts to another ten days, they are set, but I agree, to finish off the season they most need that defensive SF who can hit a 3 with regularity.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 12:05 PM
As of right now my short list is Butler, Brown and McGuire in that order.

I'm with Bennie!

xmas1997
02-25-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm with Bruno in that McGuire is my pick over those others ........... so far.
It's not over yet and someone else better may get bought out.
In any case, this player would also have to want to come and play here too!

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 12:17 PM
i think we should wait for pryzbilla to negotiate a buyout....

if that doesnt happen then rasual butler, jamario moon and dom mcguire....

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Tj ford!! Tj ford!!

what about backup SF or a shotblocking center?

Darkwaters
02-25-2011, 12:40 PM

TJ Ford

Tracy McGrady
Rasual Butler
Jason Kapono
Jamario Moon
Dominic McGuire - Current Free Agent
Renaldo Balkman
Derrick Brown - Current Free Agent

Joel Pryzbilla
Troy Murphy
Darius Songaila
Leon Powe - Current Free Agent
Jared Jeffries - Current Free Agent, supposedly signing with Knicks
Marcus Cousin - D League

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
i dint get u phila...how does signing TJ fill our need for a perimeter defender or shotblocking center

Budkin
02-25-2011, 12:59 PM
i dint get u phila...how does signing TJ fill our need for a perimeter defender or shotblocking center

Sarcasm?

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 01:01 PM
It doesn't. He's just a buddy.

lol

Bruno
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Spurs are currently $985K below the tax. If you sign today a player to the min for the rest of the season, it costs $241K against the tax. Spurs have now the possibility to carry a 15 players roster without going over the tax.

So if you think Spurs need to add a vet 7 footer and a vet SF, they can do both. Personally, I only see the need to add a SF. The 14th and 15th roster spots can be filled with D-League prospects.

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Spurs are currently $985K below the tax. If you sign today a player to the min for the rest of the season, it costs $241K against the tax. Spurs have now the possibility to carry a 15 players roster without going over the tax.

So if you think Spurs need to add a vet 7 footer and a vet SF, they can do both. Personally, I only see the need to add a SF. The 14th and 15th roster spots can be filled with D-League prospects.

cousins

PDXSpursFan
02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I really hope we can get Pryzbilla. I watched the Blazer vs. Lakers game the other night and he was impressive defensively against Bynum. He blocked Bynum a couple of times. You could see the frustration on Bynum 's face as he end up being a non-factor scoring only 6 pts.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 01:18 PM

I was curious about that, Thanks for the info. I doubt players like Butler or Pryzbilla would be willing to sign for the min. though . . . who knows?

Leetonidas
02-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Pryzbilla would be nice. I know he had interest in signing here the last time he was a free agent. He would be a great big body to have in the middle if nothing else to play some tough defense and grab some boards/block some shots. He isn't going to make or break this team but he could only help. Perhaps he's tired of losing and knee injuries.

xmas1997
02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Pryzbilla would be nice. I know he had interest in signing here the last time he was a free agent. He would be a great big body to have in the middle if nothing else to play some tough defense and grab some boards/block some shots. He isn't going to make or break this team but he could only help. Perhaps he's tired of losing and knee injuries.

I didn't know that, that he had interest in signing here last time he was a free agent.
Where did you hear that?
He, and McGuire too, signing here would be too much to ask. It would bode well for next season as well.
:flag:

spurtech09
02-25-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't think spurs will sign anybody....but you never know

Darkwaters
02-25-2011, 02:00 PM

TJ Ford

Tracy McGrady
Rasual Butler
Jason Kapono
Jamario Moon
Dominic McGuire - Current Free Agent
Renaldo Balkman
Derrick Brown - Current Free Agent

Joel Pryzbilla
Troy Murphy
Darius Songaila
Leon Powe - Current Free Agent
Jared Jeffries - Current Free Agent, supposedly signing with Knicks
Marcus Cousin - D League

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Mike bibby and wizards are negotiating a buyout....

Leetonidas
02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I didn't know that, that he had interest in signing here last time he was a free agent.
Where did you hear that?
He, and McGuire too, signing here would be too much to ask. It would bode well for next season as well.
:flag:

I remember whenever it was he was a free agent there were rumors all over the board that the Spurs were going after Pryzbilla and he had genuine interest in them but decided to stay in Portland because it was his "home."

Shifty
02-25-2011, 02:12 PM

I knew I could count on you. Thanks.

coyotes_geek
02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Mike bibby and wizards are negotiating a buyout....

I see the lakers in his future.

admiralsnackbar
02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
No! If the Spurs go after a guard that is bought out it should be Ford!

Besides -- even after a buyout, Bibby will remain well out of our price range.

TJ seems just as unlikely, but he may settle for a back-up position given his health problems and troubles in Indiana in order to jockey for a higher price tag down the road.

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
anyone know when is the deadline to sign the 13th player? i heard its tuesday next week...can someone confirm this?

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
The Spurs currently have 13 players.

coyotes_geek
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
anyone know when is the deadline to sign the 13th player? i heard its tuesday next week...can someone confirm this?

Tuesday is important because if you're on an NBA roster on March 1st you can't get bought out and appear on another team's playoff roster. But as far as there being a deadline to sign someone, there isn't one. You can sign a guy on the last day of the regular season and put him on your playoff roster.

jjktkk
02-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I see the lakers in his future.

It would make sense, since the Lakers love collecting leadfooted pgs. :lol

coyotes_geek
02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
It would make sense, since the Lakers love collecting leadfooted pgs. :lol

Right now I think they're just trying to collect someone who is better than Steve Blake..............

8FOR!3
02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Joel Pryzbilla is the most important name out there in my book, that's who I want the Spurs to pick up. We might get a small forward or nobody at all, but I'd really like it if we'd go after Pryzbilla. His rebounding and size would be much appreciate on the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Joel Pryzbilla is the most important name out there in my book, that's who I want the Spurs to pick up. We might get a small forward or nobody at all, but I'd really like it if we'd go after Pryzbilla. His rebounding and size would be much appreciate on the Spurs.

Agreed. Pryz would be a great pickup if the Spurs could swing it.

tdunk21
02-25-2011, 04:26 PM
some interesting tweets from varner48MoH

http://twitter.com/#!/varner48MoH

mentioning Marcus Cousin, Pryzbilla and derrick brown

Cousins, Brown, Pryz....who else? Other names likely to emerge over weekend.

RT @darthzen: @varner48MoH Talked to Cousin's mom in Austin airport 3 wks ago. They're moving to the area. Conversations w/Pop & Spurs...

Marcus Cousin might be a better sign than Pryz. Knows system. Healthy. Good reward for his solid Toros play.

Of the free agents available for the Spurs, Derrick Brown is interesting.

venitian navigator
02-25-2011, 11:20 PM
rasual butler (long three, defense, outside shoot) end priz (rebounds, blocked shots, phisycal in the paint) , if available and willing to play for a good post season chance, looks definitely the kind of ok players for filling the 14 and 15 spot...

timtonymanu
02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
McGuire or Przybilla would be great.

Waive Novak.
Sign 1 of the 2 or
Sign Cousin.

Yorae
02-25-2011, 11:39 PM
No. Fuck cousins and his drama. I want godzilla.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Koozahn!

SenorSpur
02-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Koozahn!

Any word on whether he may be a late-season callup?

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Any word on whether he may be a late-season callup?

Just speculative talk. Nothing solid. He's been pretty impressive on the Toros this season though.

ChuckD
02-26-2011, 12:03 AM
No. Fuck cousins and his drama. I want godzilla.

Player recognition fail. Marcus Cousin, Austin Toro, not DeMarcus Cousins.

02-26-2011, 12:23 AM
no one wants leone powe?

ChuckD
02-26-2011, 12:26 AM
no one wants leone powe?

Boston might. He was last good when he was there.

cutewizard
02-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Marc Stein says Pryzbilla has a chance to be bought out. He could be the missing big a lot of people have been asking for.

lets get him

Yorae
02-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Player recognition fail. Marcus Cousin, Austin Toro, not DeMarcus Cousins.

Oh sorry, me has a fail. Still I want a godzilla....

mystargtr34
02-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Marcus Cousin? Lets worry about marginal prospects who wont be contributing this season... during the offseason.

For now... the Spurs should be looking at either Murphy as an upgrade for Bonner... or Pryz to give the rebounding and especially the defense an upgrade.

xmas1997
02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Looks like now neither Pryz or Murphy are getting bought out.

SenorSpur
02-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Also agree. A player that possesses his size, toughness and experience would be an awesome addition and would solidify the depth along the frontline. Even if it's just for the remainder of the season and the playoffs, he would worth a roll of the dice - no offense to McDyess.

MaNu4Tres
02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Also agree. A player that possesses his size, toughness and experience would be an awesome addition and would solidify the depth along the frontline. Even if it's just for the remainder of the season and the playoffs, he would worth a roll of the dice - no offense to McDyess.

How would he be an awesome addition if he never played?

Do you really expect Pop to play him over Dyess, Blair, Bonner (if he were to be bought out and then signed by the Spurs)?

There's simply not enough minutes available for him to make any significant impact.

Beaverfuzz
02-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Pryzbilla is headed back to Portland, so unless San Antonio wants to pay him more, it ain't happening.

PDXSpursFan
02-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Bring back Sean Marks? :rolleyes

SenorSpur
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Pryzbilla is headed back to Portland, so unless San Antonio wants to pay him more, it ain't happening.

Yep. It looks like anyy talk of the possibility of acquiring Pryzbillia is just talk. No indication as to the Bobtails buying him out. And if they do, a west coast reunion would be in his future.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/02/joel_przybilla_says_his_trail.html

bigdog
02-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't see them getting anyone unless its a big, and I don't see them doing that. I'd like Pryzbilla, but he's very injury prone. Plus, he turned down the Spurs in the past when we ended up with Jackie Butler.

SenorSpur
02-26-2011, 01:07 PM
How would he be an awesome addition if he never played?

Do you really expect Pop to play him over Dyess, Blair, Bonner (if he were to be bought out and then signed by the Spurs)?

There's simply not enough minutes available for him to make any significant impact.

You ever heard of matchups? Obviously he will remain the starter, but there's no way that Blair is going to see consistent minutes against every Spurs playoff opponent. Did you see how much time Blair got in the 2nd half versus the Thunder?

Also, have you ever heard of big man insurance? Having a player like Pryzbilla would've served as a hedge against foul trouble, injury to regular rotation bigs, would only help.

Anyway, the conversation is moot now because Pryz is either staying with the Cats or heading back to the Blazers.

Spurs Brazil
02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
NBA’s buyout season commences

By Marc J. Spears,

Shortly after returning home from practice on Thursday, Leon Powe(notes) was happy to learn that his days with the Cleveland Cavaliers had ended. He hadn’t been traded, but bought out, triggering the start of the NBA’s in-season shopping spree for playoff contenders.

Each year, the buyout market picks up as soon as the trade deadline passes, giving contending teams the opportunity to strengthen or fill out their roster for a playoff run with players who have been waived. The Dallas Mavericks have already been beneficiaries this season, signing Peja Stojakovic(notes) last month after he was let go by the Raptors.

More From Marc J. Spears'Melo, Thunder come up big at deadline Feb 25, 2011 Rockets trade Brooks to Suns Feb 24, 2011

Troy Murphy could become a hot commodity among contenders if he can get a buyout.

(NBAE/Getty Images)
Powe and his agent Aaron Goodwin had been seeking a buyout or trade from the Cavaliers since December. They received their wish after the deadline passed when the Cavs bought out Powe’s contract and waived him.

Powe has played in just 14 games this season, averaging five points and 2.7 rebounds, but says his surgically repaired knees are no longer troubling him. A member of the Boston Celtics’ 2008 championship team, he could hook on again with the Celtics if he clears waivers. The Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat could also have some interest.

“When you have a chance to get a new start during the season after you lost all those games, you always want to go to a playoff team to help them better themselves,” Powe said. “I could see myself back over there in Boston. I could see myself in a number of places though. I’m just trying to find a good fit with a playoff team. The team I was on, we were losing all kinds of games. I’m tired of losing.”

Not everyone will be as fortunate as Powe, whose modest $915,852 salary this season made a buyout agreement much easier to secure. Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton(notes) sought a trade for months, and the Pistons were close to sending him to the Cavaliers on Thursday, league sources said. Hamilton, however, wouldn’t agree to surrender $9 million of the $25 million he could make over the next two seasons, scuttling a potential contract buyout and forcing the Pistons to keep him. Center Joel Przybilla(notes), who was acquired by the Charlotte Bobcats in the Gerald Wallace(notes) trade on Thursday, and Los Angeles Clippers forward Rasual Butler(notes) also likely won’t receive buyouts, sources said.

Still, there will be a handful of players cut loose in the coming days. Players must be waived by March 1 to have playoff eligibility if they’re signed by another team. Here’s a look at who could become available:

• Washington Wizards guard Mike Bibby(notes): The Wizards acquired Bibby in a trade that sent Kirk Hinrich(notes) to the Atlanta Hawks on Thursday, and sources close to the veteran point guard said he wasn’t happy about going from a playoff team to a rebuilding situation. One league source said Bibby might try to pursue a buyout even though he’s owed $6.4 million next season, in addition to the remainder of this season’s $5.8 million salary. The potential hang-up: Unless Bibby surrenders significant money, the Wizards might want to keep him.

If Bibby becomes a free agent, the Miami Heat, Celtics, Portland Trail Blazers and New York Knicks could line up as suitors.

• Golden State Warriors forward Troy Murphy(notes): The Warriors were expected to waive Murphy after acquiring him from the New Jersey Nets, but one source said the team is now considering keeping the 6-foot-11 forward because it needs size. Murphy hasn’t played since Jan. 7 after Nets coach Avery Johnson said he didn’t plan to include him in his regular rotation.

Murphy is expected to still push for a buyout. If he’s able to negotiate one, the Celtics will push hard to sign him. The Knicks, Lakers and Heat are also expected to have interest.

• Indiana Pacers guard T.J. Ford(notes): Ford has wanted out of Indiana for a while and could soon get his wish with a buyout. The seventh-year veteran is averaging 5.7 points and 3.5 assists in 39 games this season and hasn’t played since Jan. 28. Portland and Miami are expected to pursue Ford, league sources said.

• Forward Jared Jeffries(notes): The Rockets held onto Jeffries through the deadline to see if they could deal him, then negotiated a buyout of his $6.8 million contract on Friday. Jeffries, who was traded by the Knicks to Houston last season, could return to New York next week.

• Philadelphia 76ers guard Jason Kapono(notes): Kapono is expected to get a buyout from the Sixers, several sources said, after playing in just 18 games this season. Still, he’s expected to draw strong interest on the free-agent market from teams in need of another shooter.

That includes the Celtics, who will have three roster spots available if they don’t sign Chris Johnson(notes) to a second 10-day contract.

• Center Eddy Curry: Curry has already been waived by Minnesota, and has returned home to Chicago to work out for trainer Tim Grover. Curry has played in just 10 games over the past three seasons while battling weight and off-court problems, which doesn’t suggest he has much to offer a contender. Still, the Bulls and Heat are monitoring his progress.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsjeQLLpOSZtmTpksxgoJSa8vLYF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer022511

tuncaboylu
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Morris Peterson would be a good addition for us.

benefactor
02-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Two days left and it's looking like Brown or McGuire will be the best options and fits for the team. Hopefully the Spurs pick one of the two up.

underdawg
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Two days left and it's looking like Brown or McGuire will be the best options and fits for the team. Hopefully the Spurs pick one of the two up.

McGuire has better defensive potential of the two?

I would like the Spurs to add depth even if it's very likely it would be for insurance only.

If I had to guess, Pop's playoff rotation as of today would be:

Timmy - 34 min
Tony - 36
Manu - 38
Jefferson - 34
Hill - 29
McDyess - 27
Bonner - 22
Neal - 10
Blair -10

ChumpDumper
02-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Any word on whether he may be a late-season callup?Chris Johnson keeps getting called up ahead of Cousin. He can do a few things better than Cooze -- finish pick and rolls, block shots, run the floor -- but he's so rail thin it's tough to see his sticking in the NBA. Had a nice debut for Boston though.

SenorSpur
02-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Chris Johnson keeps getting called up ahead of Cousin. He can do a few things better than Cooze -- finish pick and rolls, block shots, run the floor -- but he's so rail thin it's tough to see his sticking in the NBA. Had a nice debut for Boston though.

Isn't there another upcoming scheduled telecast between the Toros and Frisco (Texas) Legends? I was hoping to get another look at the Cooze.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Isn't there another upcoming scheduled telecast between the Toros and Frisco (Texas) Legends? I was hoping to get another look at the Cooze.The 3/12 game in Frisco will be on VS. Of course you can watch any Toros game live or archived on the internets.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/video/dleague_futurecast_archives.html

SenorSpur
02-26-2011, 04:52 PM
The 3/12 game in Frisco will be on VS. Of course you can watch any Toros game live or archived on the internets.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/video/dleague_futurecast_archives.html

Always appreciate it, Chump!

Blackjack
02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
McGuire has better defensive potential of the two?

If McGuire is right - i.e., healthy and hasn't been completely lost to bad habits from his time with the Wiz - the Spurs aren't going to find a better defender on the perimeter. 'Nic's elite if you can keep him on the court.

He's got a really good basketball IQ, he moves and passes the ball well, moves and plays off the ball well, but he had little-to-no shot coming out of Fresno and even his finishing leaves a lot to be desired - which is surprising give his length and athleticism. But if you can keep him on the court and allow him to get a rhythm just like anyone else tasked with the chore of being a stopper, you aren't going to find many players in today's league that are any better.

But I'm guessing, since it seems the Spurs had zero interest in McGuire this past offseason (going the Simmons route), that Brown would be the guy they'd pick up of the two, if either. And I'd be completely on board with it.

Brown's numbers looked pretty damn similar to Posey's coming out of Xavier and even if he hasn't shown that type of defense to date, he's still a good long athlete with some skill, upside and NBA experience. Still a little surprised the 'Cats cut him loose . . .

ace3g
02-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Morris Peterson and Sean Marks will be Charlotte Bobcats in name-only.

Those two veterans, both acquired to help match salaries in the Gerald Wallace and Nazr Mohammed trades, will be waived, according to Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins.

That will open roster spots under the 15-man maximum, and it appears likely the Bobcats would bring back forward Derrick Brown, who was waived to help facilitate the draft-day deals.

The Bobcats can't formally waive Peterson and Marks until physicals are completed on others, making the trades final.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/26/2093008/peterson-and-marks-we-hardly-knew.html#ixzz1F9hKN600

Darkwaters
02-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Bummer.

Derrick Brown looked like a good candidate.

benefactor
02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
It would be Brown's choice. If the Spurs reach out to him before then one would think he would rather play for a contender.

TD 21
02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
The problem with McGuire is, he's not just a sub par shooter, like Brown, he flat out can't shoot at all. Combined that with the fact that he's over 6-7 and on this team, he'd probably be utilized as almost strictly a four, which they don't need.

As for Brown, he'll probably stay with the Bobcats. He's familiar with the team, organization, city, etc. Sure, he'd like to play, but it's not like that would happen with the Spurs, either. We're talking about what would amount to being an insurance policy at the three, like Quinn at the one.

I'd prefer Brown to McGuire though. I see him as more likely to eventually fill a role with the Spurs, as the insurance three/big, because he might eventually become something resembling a half decent shooter.

Short term, however, Peterson is the best option. Unlike McGuire and Brown, who are tweeners, he's a legit three, can shoot the three and is an established player (albeit, he's probably no better than a fringe player at this point . . . which still would make him a cut above Simmons/Udoka). Because the Spurs are carrying 13 and are thin at the three, even though this spot would be utilized as an insurance policy, the clincher is this: In a playoff game, if one of the three had to be pressed into action due to injuries, who would you feel more comfortable playing? For me, it's hands down Peterson.

xmas1997
02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I really don't see the Spurs going after either of these players.

ace3g
02-27-2011, 08:48 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Potential suitors for @RasualButler45 once he clears waivers includes BOS, ATL, NJ, NY and OKC, source tells Y! Sports.
14 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»
Marc J. Spears
@RasualButler45 receives buyout from LA Clippers tonight and will be a free agent after clearing waivers, source tells Y! Sports.

While Bulls interested too, source close to @RasualButler45 says he is wide open and also considering aforementioned teams.

Yorae
02-27-2011, 11:28 PM
:madrun I want a godzilla!

ChuckD
02-27-2011, 11:48 PM

People in hell want ice water. I don't think they're getting any.

Darkwaters
02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Hoopshype is reporting that Rasual Butler is going to the Bulls.

Yorae
02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
People in hell want ice water. I don't think they're getting any.

I still want one! :ihit

Darkwaters
02-28-2011, 12:49 AM

http://petcaretips.net/godzilla_ghidorah.jpg

crc21209
02-28-2011, 01:05 AM
I can see Butler going to Chicago. He can get the most minutes there....

Yorae
02-28-2011, 01:18 AM
http://petcaretips.net/godzilla_ghidorah.jpg

;) I'm calm now. Can we buy him out?

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Source: Clippers buy out Rasual Butler, plans to sign with bulls

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6165494

The Los Angeles Clippers have bought out Rasual Butler, and he plans to sign with the Chicago Bulls, a league source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

Butler must clear waivers before he can sign with the Bulls.

Butler had the best scoring season of his career in 2009-10, averaging 11.9 points and 2.9 rebounds. This season he's averaged 5.0 points and 1.9 rebounds.

Butler is making $2.4 million in the last year of his contract.

toki9
02-28-2011, 04:07 AM
How about Jeffries? He'll probably sign with the Knicks, but no one here is interested in him?

spursbird
02-28-2011, 04:20 AM
How about Jeffries? He'll probably sign with the Knicks, but no one here is interested in him?
His defense is overated. I can see him as the next Bogans with a larger body.

toki9
02-28-2011, 04:23 AM
His defense is overated. I can see him as the next Bogans with a larger body.

Really? I unfortunately get to watch a lot of Knicks game (I live in NY...it's either the Knicks, Nets, or nothing on most nights) and he seemed pretty good while he was here. On the other hand, I guess it doesn't take much to be impressive defensively when you're running D'Antoni's "system" where nobody plays D.

angelbelow
02-28-2011, 04:29 AM
I bet Pryz goes back to portland if hes bought out. Otherwise we could do worse for the minimum.

McGuire was pretty heavily hyped in Washington. Dont know much about him other than him never amounting to anything. But most posters want him so he must be doing something right.

spursbird
02-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Really? I unfortunately get to watch a lot of Knicks game (I live in NY...it's either the Knicks, Nets, or nothing on most nights) and he seemed pretty good while he was here. On the other hand, I guess it doesn't take much to be impressive defensively when you're running D'Antoni's "system" where nobody plays D.
I know he has some defense, but he is really a liability on offense, and he is too thin to defend strong players.

spursbird
02-28-2011, 04:37 AM
I bet Pryz goes back to portland if hes bought out. Otherwise we could do worse for the minimum.

McGuire was pretty heavily hyped in Washington. Dont know much about him other than him never amounting to anything. But most posters want him so he must be doing something right.
His defense is above average.

cd98
02-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm curious if the Spurs are interested in any of the buy out players. Usually you hear something, anything. Maybe they think the other teams have not made additions that put them over the top or maybe they think the buy out market sucks.

lefty
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Troy Murphy likely to sign with Boston

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/troy-murphy-agrees-to-buyout-with-warriors-looks-boston-bound

Shifty
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm curious if the Spurs are interested in any of the buy out players. Usually you hear something, anything. Maybe they think the other teams have not made additions that put them over the top or maybe they think the buy out market sucks.

Not with the Spurs. They hardly ever get mentioned in rumors because reporters can't get anything from the inside. Having said that, I get the feeling we are not going to get anyone.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 11:14 AM

His defense is above average.

That is basically McGuires' whole game, defense because he has no decent offense to speak of, unlike Bowen who had somewhat of an offensive game to offset his liabilities.

JR3
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I like butler, but James Anderson would likely fall off the face of the earth if we got him. So I'm glad butler is going to the bulls. Glad he won't be going to LA. Let the heat and celtics worry about that.

JR3
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
That is basically McGuires' whole game, defense because he has no decent offense to speak of, unlike Bowen who had somewhat of an offensive game to offset his liabilities.

I agree... Bowen could drain the 3.. if not for that, I wouldn't have wanted him to be on the court. Bowen was a stud.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I suspect that is why they brought back Anderson because they might feel that his defense is above average, maybe not "lock down", but certainly his offense is also above average as well.
So why pick up a strickly defensive player with lock down ability and yet no offense whatsoever, when they have a potentailly above average defender who possesses an above average offensive game in Anderson?

cd98
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
James Anderson didn't look so good yesterday. Not saying that he is a bust or anything...it's only one game. But I think he is probably not getting much playing time in the playoffs, if at all.

My guess is, once Neal comes back, that Pop treats him like the future and not the present.

Shifty
02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Something I found out about Pryzbilla:

Sorry to see center Joel Przybilla go in the deal. He's a stud. His toughness will be missed. But he ended up the victim of his expiring contract, and frankly, couldn't move post-patellar tendon surgery.
Pryzbilla told me on Wednesday night that he's given more thought to retirement. He lamented trying to rebound against younger, stronger players while playing on one leg. And he said that he'll spend his summer working out with his strength coach, then, make a decision.
He sounded a lot like a guy ready to hang it up, and have no regrets about his career. And I'm thinking the move to Charlotte might just lock that up.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2011/02/canzano_blog_emptying_my_noteb_2.html

benefactor
02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Anderson is a rookie who has barely played because of injury. I can almost guarantee he's not going see much if any floor time in the playoffs.

It's looking more and more like the Spurs are going with what they have. In order to overcome their lack of size in the playoffs, they will have to get contributions from young players(Neal, Blair) and vets that normally disappear(Bonner) in order to be in title contention. The defense is going to have to be much more consistent too. Otherwise they are probably looking at an exit in the WCF.

lefty
02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1222051990/image_normal.jpg
dhellie (http://twitter.com/#%21/dhellie) Dan Hellie by basketballtalk

#NBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NBA) Source: Wizards set Bibby Free. Will buy out remainder of Mike Bibby's contract today.

50 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/dhellie/status/42282367297130496) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

He used to kill the Lakers

So why not? :lol

benefactor
02-28-2011, 01:57 PM

#NBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NBA) Source: Wizards set Bibby Free. Will buy out remainder of Mike Bibby's contract today.

50 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/dhellie/status/42282367297130496) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/q-icon-no.gif

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Hell-to-the NO!

gospursgojas
02-28-2011, 02:07 PM
The Heat are anyones first choice if they are bought out

ace3g
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
In addition to Chicago, San Antonio, Dallas and ATL interested in Rasual Butler.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
In addition to Chicago, San Antonio, Dallas and ATL interested in Rasual Butler.

Bulls seem to make the most sense for him IMO. More PT.

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Link to Broussard tweet: http://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussard/status/42322576768368640

lefty
02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
I thought Chicago was already a lock

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 04:20 PM

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/q-icon-no.gif

Hell-to-the NO!

Might be time to reconsider...........

Blackjack
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Might be time to reconsider...........

If they go point guard, here's hoping Mr. Ford becomes available shortly.

Who knows, he just might be able to provide a Claxton-type of impact . . .

Obstructed_View
02-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Jacque Vaughn!

ace3g
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
Just filed to ESPN.com: Sources say we're about to have a surprising late addition to the buyout market: New York is buying out Corey Brewer

ace3g
02-28-2011, 04:56 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
Sources say Celts, Spurs, Mavs and OKC have all registered immediate interest in Brewer, who holds obvious appeal to all as wing defender

Mel_13
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
Just filed to ESPN.com: Sources say we're about to have a surprising late addition to the buyout market: New York is buying out Corey Brewer

Can't understand keeping RMJ and getting rid of Brewer. That said, he would be a perfect addition for the Spurs.

cd98
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Corey Brewer- get him. Sure he can't shoot, but he can defend...very well. Bruce Bowen developed his three point shot late. Why not Brewer?

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
Sources say Celts, Spurs, Mavs and OKC have all registered immediate interest in Brewer, who holds obvious appeal to all as wing defender

get him RC....please

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Yeah I've heard the knock on him is his shooting and dribbling skills.

All the NBA analyst seem to think he is a really good defender and was the best transition player in Minnesota.

ClingingMars
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Brewer can at least drive to the basket and finish, and he's an excellent defender. No brainer RC.

Darkwaters
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Throw everything we have available at him and swoon him into a contract.

boutons_deux
02-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Worse than Tony's injury is all the idiots thinking bringing in somebody else, who doesn't know anything about the Spurs system, will be effective.

Mugen
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Corey Brewer FTW.....do it RC.

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
The guy is 24 too, only fourth year. Get him in the gym with Chip!

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Brewer in a spurs uni is a must..

Ditty
if spurs get corey brewer

nba=fucked :lol

MarHill
Yeah, I just heard that Brewer is in the process of being bought out by the Knicks a few minutes ago as well.

I would like him at the back up 3 for the stretch run.

Darkwaters
02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Worse than Tony's injury is all the idiots thinking bringing in somebody else, who doesn't know anything about the Spurs system, will be effective.

I'm more interested in Brewer for what he'll mean next year. Backup SF has been our biggest hole, and having him there would be incredible.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
+1 on Brewer.

Between Hill, Manu & Quinn the Spurs can survive Tony's absence.

JR3
02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Wow.. havn't got my hopes up for any of the buy outs, but now I really want brewer.

DesignatedT
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah Brewer would be nice.

ace3g
02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
ESPN.com link to Corey Brewer unexpectedly hitting free-agent market, with Celts/Spurs/Mavs/OKC in four-way chase: http://es.pn/gYGIcJ

moisaenz
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
ESPN.com link to Corey Brewer unexpectedly hitting free-agent market, with Celts/Spurs/Mavs/OKC in four-way chase: http://es.pn/gYGIcJ
My question is of all the four teams who can give him the most money???

Hoops Czar
02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Don't get your hopes up.. Brewer won't pick the Spurs over the Celts or Mavs.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
My question is of all the four teams who can give him the most money???

According to Shamsports, Boston & OKC can only offer league min.

Spurs have $1.72M of the MLE left or the BAE, $2.08M, which they can use.

Dallas has their full MLE.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Don't get your hopes up.. Brewer won't pick the Spurs over the Celts or Mavs.

I could see him picking the celtics, but unless Cuban wants to throw a good chunk of his MLE at Brewer, I don't see why he'd sign there when Marion & Peja are already eating up all the SF minutes.

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Crap. Dallas with full MLE. They already have the second highest payroll and they still can buy more players? NBA should fix that.

Ditty
02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't see why brewer would want to go to the mavs they're stacked with wings

unless the mavs just want to screw over the spurs

Hoops Czar
02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I could see him picking the celtics, but unless Cuban wants to throw a good chunk of his MLE at Brewer, I don't see why he'd sign there when Marion & Peja are already eating up all the SF minutes.

I'd assume Brewer would jump Peja in the rotation. Peja was just an impulsive add-on when Butler went down.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Brewer has been and absolutely would be my first choice addition. Though I can't understand why the Knicks would buy him out, yet keep Renaldo Balkman.

As for the financial aspect, I know the Spurs are limited financially, so it's quite possible they couldn't give Brewer the highest offer. He is scheduled to be a free agent at season's end, so perhaps he's not trying to break for the remainder of the year.

Make that run, RC.

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Couple million extra reasons to pick Mavs. Of course I doubt the Mavs pay the full MLE to him. They just have to offer more than the Spurs.

He gets a chance to play with a contender either way. And Mavs's small forwards mostly suck. They would have a killer defensive team with Chandler and Brewer. Dirk is the only one that is allowed to shoot anyway.

Still, Spurs would be perfect fit as well.

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Celtics have Pierce and Green to play small forward. He'd be wasting his time in Celtic land. He'd have a better chance outcompeting relics like Marion and Peja for playing time.

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Brewer has been and absolutely would be my first choice addition. Though I can't understand why the Knicks would buy him out, yet keep Renaldo Balkman.

As for the financial aspect, I know the Spurs are limited financially, so it's quite possible they couldn't give Brewer the highest offer. He is scheduled to be a free agent at season's end, so perhaps he's not trying to break for the remainder of the year.

Make that run, RC.

well the mavs are #3, Celts are #4, spurs are #13, and OKC are #25 in team salaries. So I think only the thunder could outbid SA and if I am Brewer, OKC isn't looking to bad with PT also..

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
OKC probably offers the most playing time with Green gone. They have who, Sefolosha?

Celtics least likely unless he thinks they are the best team. They're already exploring Murphy/Powe/Bibby options. Greene and Pierce are there as well.

Dallas could offer him that long term contract he might be looking for with potential lockout. Would Cuban offer that for him to play behind Peja/Marion with Butler rumored to be back sometime in the playoffs?

www.twitter.com/coreybrewer22

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Celtics have Pierce and Green to play small forward. He'd be wasting his time in Celtic land. He'd have a better chance outcompeting relics like Marion and Peja for playing time.

You can make the relic arguement with Peja, but no way Brewer plays ahead of Marion.

Hoops Czar
Couple million extra reasons to pick Mavs. Of course I doubt the Mavs pay the full MLE to him. They just have to offer more than the Spurs.

He gets a chance to play with a contender either way. And Mavs's small forwards mostly suck. They would have a killer defensive team with Chandler and Brewer. Dirk is the only one that is allowed to shoot anyway.

Yet, it took RJ a full season to adapt to the Spurs system. Brewer will learn it in a month and change?

Agloco

Make that run, RC.

Spurs are competitive here. Rest assured though, if Cubes has the full MLE he'll use it rather than seeing Brewer come to SA. :lol

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Let me correct myself. If he joins the Mavs in the starting line up, they'll have Kidd, Brewer, and Chandler: three players that can't make a shot outside of a dunk or a layup. They may be too offensively challenged to play together. On the Spurs, you can get away with that because you can bulk the line up with plenty of other scorers.

Agloco
Yet, it took RJ a full season to adapt to the Spurs system. Brewer will learn it in a month and change?

Apples and Oranges. Backup 3 vs Starting 3. Brewer can be brought along and know enough to be effective in spot minutes come playoff time.

yavozerb
Spurs are competitive here. Rest assured though, if Cubes has the full MLE he'll use it rather than seeing Brewer come to SA. :lol

You are correct sir....:bang

Agloco
02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Let me correct myself. If he joins the Mavs in the starting line up, they'll have Kidd, Brewer, and Chandler: three players that can't make a shot outside of a dunk or a layup. They may be too offensively challenged to play together. On the Spurs, you can get away with that because you can bulk the line up with plenty of other scorers.

I heard that Kidd could shoot the 3 pretty good.......just a rumor though. :hat

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Luxury tax is also something to keep in mind here. Spurs can use most of their MLE remainder and still be under the threshold. Mavs are already over, so Brewer costs them 2x. Although Cuban probably doesn't care......

I don't think there's any doubt that the mavs interest in Brewer is more about wanting to keep him away from us over wanting him for themselves.

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM

That's what I thought too, too much trouble scoring for the Mavs. On the Spurs, he'd be fine seeing as how RJ has no show nights and they still win.

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
You can make the relic arguement with Peja, but no way Brewer plays ahead of Marion.

Marion comes off the bench right now. Plus Marion can play the 4. Marion is old, but I will admit he has been effective in the way the Mavs have used him.

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

Jefferson struggled because he had to learn the offense and defense. We tell Brewer to not shoot unless the shot clock reaches 1. All he needs to learn is defense.

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I heard that Kidd could shoot the 3 pretty good.......just a rumor though. :hat

He couldn't after game one of the playoffs last year. He shoots the three pretty good in the regular season, but the playoffs allow teams to focus more and he was pretty ineffective against George Hill.

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
www.twitter.com/coreybrewer22 Gogogo. Love how he's trending but nobody thinks to find out if he has a Twitter account. Mostly tweets from Spurs fan so far with the occasional Dallas fan.

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:43 PM
One more thing to be said about this guy and then I need to get back to work. He has always played on a terrible team. Let's see what he can do when he gets to a playoff quality team.

I see a lot of guys out there that won't make much a difference. I mean Murphy? Guy has been pretty average or below that most of his career. Bibby? Guy was done about four years ago. Sure, he occassionally shows a pulse, but he's too slow now to do anything.

Brewer is definitely an impact player with his defense. He could make a difference on a good team where he couldn't on that terrible Minnesota team.

Besides we know he'll be a heck of a defender given that D'Antoni can't find a use for him in his system.

DesignatedT
02-28-2011, 05:47 PM
www.twitter.com/coreybrewer22 Gogogo. Love how he's trending but nobody thinks to find out if he has a Twitter account. Mostly tweets from Spurs fan so far with the occasional Dallas fan.

where does it show whos tweeting him. i dont know how to use twitter lol

Agloco
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
He couldn't after game one of the playoffs last year. He shoots the three pretty good in the regular season, but the playoffs allow teams to focus more and he was pretty ineffective against George Hill.

Awfully small sample there. Point is, JKidd is a legit threat from deep. Any gameplan that doesn't take that into account is asking for trouble. Having said that, the Mavs don't really need any more deep threats. They've got Jet, Dirk, Peja. Barea and Beaubois have been known to hit an occasional 3 as well.

Trimble87
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
where does it show whos tweeting him. i dont know how to use twitter lol

agreed, I created a twitter just to tell him we would love him on our team. Took me about 5 minutes just to figure that out :P

DesignatedT
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
agreed, I created a twitter just to tell him we would love him on our team. Took me about 5 minutes just to figure that out :P

I see where it shows his tweets but I don't see where it shows tweets from others tweeting him. hahaha

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
That's his account. To see who's tweeting him go to the search bar and type in @coreybrewer22. Mostly from Spurs fans so far.

Marc Stein just said Chicago isn't going to go after him because they were already offered him before the trade deadline and they said no. They're still looking for more of shooter I'm guessing.

Agloco
02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
That's his account. To see who's tweeting him go to the search bar and type in @coreybrewer22. Mostly from Spurs fans so far.

Marc Stein just said Chicago isn't going to go after him because they were already offered him before the trade deadline and they said no. They're still looking for more of shooter I'm guessing.

Yeah Chicago needs a shooter. Mr. Brewer won't be mistaken for one anytime soon.

Texas_Ranger
02-28-2011, 06:03 PM
wow, so many Spurs posts on twitter. :D

cd98
02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Awfully small sample there. Point is, JKidd is a legit threat from deep. Any gameplan that doesn't take that into account is asking for trouble. Having said that, the Mavs don't really need any more deep threats. They've got Jet, Dirk, Peja. Barea and Beaubois have been known to hit an occasional 3 as well.

Right. Except that J Kidd has had trouble shooting in all of the playoff rounds since he came to Dallas. Granted he can shoot the three, but you can defend it better in the playoffs, which is what S.A. did.

Bruno
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Brewer would be an awesome pickup. I don't get why Knicks waived him.

Right now, my ranking for waived player is:
1. Brewer
2. McGuire
3. Derrick Brown
4. Rasual Butler
5. Jared Jeffries
6. Morris Peterson

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Is that Dominic McGuire?

He was a good rebounder for the Wizards here in DC but that's pretty much it.

-------------------------
Any chance Spurs go for Leon Powe? Pretty solid guy in the limited minutes he gets and played for 08 Celtics.

Big P
02-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm crossing my fingers!

ace3g
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Brewer would be an awesome pickup. I don't get why Knicks waived him.

I'm glad the Knicks waived him but here is this:

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
I'm as stunned as anyone that Knicks didn't want to try to find minutes for Brewer but NYK prefers Jared Jeffries cause he knows MDA system

Baseline
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Hopefully Brewer views himself as a Spur, and as a Bowen type. We're not going to ask him to be anything he's not.

Also, he's a really good dude who grew up in Tennessee - very quiet, small town guy. A lot like Dyess.

Dude is definitely a Spur type of person.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM

I thought the Mavs used part of their MLE on Peja.

benefactor
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm glad the Knicks waived him but here is this:

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
I'm as stunned as anyone that Knicks didn't want to try to find minutes for Brewer but NYK prefers Jared Jeffries cause he knows MDA system
lol Knicks
lol Jeffries

Bruno
02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
The money factor in favor of Dallas isn't as big as you can first think.

First, there isn't a single team in the NBA that has the full MLE left. Exceptions (MLE and LLE) are prorated after Jan 10th by 1/170th per day. Right now, a full "MLE" is about $4M.

Second, there is a complex CBA rule that, sometimes, when a player is waived and re-sign for more than the min, his previous team hasn't to pay the whole amount left on his contract.

At the end the difference between Mavs throwing all their money and a min offer could be around $3M. It's still a lot of money to offer Brewer that $3M gain, Cuban will have to pay $8M.

I don't really see money being the main factor for Brewer. If he wants to get as much minutes as possible, a lottery team seems to be the best choice. If he wants some minutes and playing on a good team, Spurs and Mavs both have minutes available for him.

Bartleby
02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
If he wants to get as much minutes as possible, a lottery team seems to be the best choice. If he wants some minutes and playing on a good team, Spurs and Mavs both have minutes available for him.

I don't see him wanting to go to a lottery team (He's probably had enough of that already) and I don't see a lottery team wanting him. That said, there is a possibility that a lottery team could be the cockblocker here:

"Brewer is on the books for $3.7 million this season, which means that any team at least that amount under the salary cap -- including the Kings and Cavaliers -- could claim Brewer off of waivers and prevent him from signing with a contender. ."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/28/2021255/corey-brewer-buyout-knicks

ace3g
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Spurs should be thankful because compared to the last couple of years, there are some good available SF that can possibly make a difference in the playoffs.

DesignatedT
02-28-2011, 08:41 PM
spurs fans blowin up his twitter account. nice job

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
What the hells with Cuban and the Mavs?????????????
We want Butler, so now they want Butler.
Then we want Brewer, so now they want Brewer instead.
Do they have to copy everything we do?
They have plenty of SF already.
We are the team that needs one.

dbestpro
02-28-2011, 08:48 PM

Maybe we should announce we want RMJ back.

ivanfromwestwood
02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
someone link him this thread

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Cuban is a talent-hoarder. Just look up and down his roster. He's always believed that if he is leads NBA owners in talent grabs, he'll have more success.

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Update from jeff mcdonald via twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/jmcdonald_saen

@varner48MoH Re: Ford and Brewer. No way to sign both and stay under luxury tax. Ford will get you frighteningly close to that line, too.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Warriors just bought out Murphy and both Boston and Miami want him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6166159

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Warriors just bought out Murphy and both Boston and Miami want him.

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6166159"[/URL]

ESPN just stated he is leaning towards signing with Miami..

Seventyniner
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
If this has already been posted, sorry.

Joseph Goodman: Mike #Bibby's agent, David Falk, tells the Herald that options remain open: #Heat, #Celtics, #Lakers, #Spurs and #Blazers (http://hoopshype.com/twitter_media.html).

If Ford and Brewer wouldn't be worth going over the tax for, how about Bibby and Brewer?

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Has Ford even been bought out yet?

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 09:56 PM
If this has already been posted, sorry.

If Ford and Brewer wouldn't be worth going over the tax for, how about Bibby and Brewer?

Screw that. If the Spurs elected to sign Ford, he'd have about two weeks, which wouldn't give him even enough time to learn the offense and gain the trust of the coaching staff. The Spurs can survive Parker's absence for two weeks.

Brewer, on the other hand, could be integrated slowly and without a timetable. The instant benefit is his ability to defend. The Spurs could leverage that immediately and down the road. A Brewer signing makes better sense.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Mike Wells: Pacers and T.J. Ford still trying to work out a buyout. Ford wants to know a team will sign him before agreeing to the buyout. about 3 hours ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter_media.html#ixzz1FIo5yKqv

CGD
02-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Too bad Azubuike is injured...

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 01:06 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/CSheridanESPN

Knicks waived K.Azubuike, and C.Brewer buyout should be completed Tuesday. J.Jeffries is coming, and maybe D.Gadzuric? http://es.pn/eVOp7G

Yorae
03-01-2011, 01:08 AM
So who do we get, who'dweget?

Spursfanfromafar
03-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I am still holding out for Tayshaun Prince being waived from the Pistons..... If Joe Dumars has got an iota of self respect, he would have to get rid of some of his "boycotting" veterans and Prince seems to a likely candidate after being such a malcontent under Kuester. If Prince gets waived, I presume McDyess could be busy on his phone for a bit.

ElNono
03-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Tay is making $11 mill this season... and letting him walk won't fix the issue of the other vets with the coach. I don't see it.

DesignatedT
03-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Prince would just end up with Dallas if waived. I hope he stays in Detroit.

Spursfanfromafar
03-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Tay is making $11 mill this season... and letting him walk won't fix the issue of the other vets with the coach. I don't see it.

Pro-rate it and his remaining amount would be far lesser - about $3-4 million. And he could negotiate a decent buyout if he can recoup some of it from the Spurs' remaining cap room.

As for the other vets on the bench, Rip is going nowhere with a lot of money and years remaining in his contract. While T-Mac could go, he hasn't been half as much a malcontent as Prince has been. And other vets - Wallace and Wilcox .. the former will retire soon, while the latter is not going anywhere else.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Why would Spurs fans be hoping for a malcontent to join the Spurs when things are going so well?

DesignatedT
03-01-2011, 01:53 AM
I hope that nobody else gets bought out tbqh. We are fine the way were are and definitely don't need opposing contenders getting better and signing high caliber players. It's all pretty retarded to me actually.

ElNono
03-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Pro-rate it and his remaining amount would be far lesser - about $3-4 million. And he could negotiate a decent buyout if he can recoup some of it from the Spurs' remaining cap room.

As for the other vets on the bench, Rip is going nowhere with a lot of money and years remaining in his contract. While T-Mac could go, he hasn't been half as much a malcontent as Prince has been. And other vets - Wallace and Wilcox .. the former will retire soon, while the latter is not going anywhere else.

I think that if Dumars really wanted to move Tay, he could have easily traded him, being he's an expiring and what not. I think what happens in Detroit is Kuester getting fired as soon as they have a new owner in place. After that, they'll probably offer Tay an extension.

Spursfanfromafar
03-01-2011, 02:01 AM
I think that if Dumars really wanted to move Tay, he could have easily traded him, being he's an expiring and what not. I think what happens in Detroit is Kuester getting fired as soon as they have a new owner in place. After that, they'll probably offer Tay an extension.

It was difficult to trade him, because the Pistons were not going to take back anymore salaries till their ownership muddle was resolved. They could have tried an expirings for expirings trade for Prince, but I think that Dumars needed more value.

The player boycott though must force his hand now. After coming out with a statement in favour of Kuester today, there is no way Dumars can go back to the "Support Vets" line.

ElNono
03-01-2011, 02:09 AM
It was difficult to trade him, because the Pistons were not going to take back anymore salaries till their ownership muddle was resolved. They could have tried an expirings for expirings trade for Prince, but I think that Dumars needed more value.

The player boycott though must force his hand now. After coming out with a statement in favour of Kuester today, there is no way Dumars can go back to the "Support Vets" line.

Dumars turned this down for Tay a few days ago:

The Pistons also turned down an offer from the Dallas Mavericks that would have sent forward Tayshaun Prince to Dallas for the injured Caron Butler and a first-round draft pick, Yahoo! Sports reported, citing an unnamed source.

There's no way he's just gonna let him go now for nothing. He's also on the record saying he wants to extend Tay in the offseason.

EricB
03-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Gadzuric would be a solid get by the Knicks.

Brewer or bust, Let Hill, Quinn and Ginobili handle the PG duties.

Spursfanfromafar
03-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Dumars turned this down for Tay a few days ago:

There's no way he's just gonna let him go now for nothing. He's also on the record saying he wants to extend Tay in the offseason.

Before the player boycott....Is all I am saying..

Let's see though. The odds are against a buyout... but it could happen.

angelbelow
03-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Just read about Brewer being bought out. Thought ST would be having several discussions about him. He would be a fantastic pick up at a low cost.

timtonymanu
03-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Brewer! Brewer! Brewer!

Shifty
03-01-2011, 03:01 AM
CoreyBrewer22 (https://twitter.com/#%21/CoreyBrewer22) Corey Brewer

Can't sleep so much going thru my head its tough right now. Thanks to all the people following me for all the support

jiggy_55
03-01-2011, 03:26 AM
There's some confusing posts made on twitter about the deadline and signing players. McDonald also writes: "Players must be on rosters by Tuesday in order to be playoff eligible".

I am pretty sure that is false, but can someone please give a definitive statement. As far as I understand, the deadline to be waived by a team and be playoff eligible is today. However, is there also a deadline to sign with a team and be playoff eligible too?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Shifty
03-01-2011, 03:43 AM
(https://twitter.com/#%21/STEIN_LINE_HQ)STEIN_LINE_HQ (https://twitter.com/#%21/STEIN_LINE_HQ) Marc Stein
Player can sign w/new team as late as final day of regular season and still play in playoffs. Just gotta be waived by 11:59 PM on March 1

jiggy_55
03-01-2011, 03:59 AM
Thanks Shifty!

benefactor
03-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Knicks will sign Derrick Brown per DX twitter.

lefty
03-01-2011, 11:01 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/665396722/images_normal.jpg
basketballtalk (http://twitter.com/#%21/basketballtalk) Kurt Helin

Troy Murphy now torn between Heat, Celtics; Bibby Miami bound http://dlvr.it/Hy6bS #PBT (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23PBT) #NBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NBA)

35 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/basketballtalk/status/42606537537105920) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

Bruno
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
OT: Perkins has a signed a $35M/4 years extension with Thunder.

benefactor
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Still a decent deal for a solid big man. He asked for 5 million less than that to stay with Boston.

lol Ainge

lefty
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/612805511/butler_gym_normal.jpg
WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/WojYahooNBA) Adrian Wojnarowski

OKC increased Perkins' 2010-'11 salary $2.3M to $6.70M and did extension off new number. Creative work by GM Sam Presti and agent Bob Myers.

2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/WojYahooNBA/status/42620117661646848) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

SenorSpur
03-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Good work on the Thunder's part to get Perk signed to an extension quickly.

Shifty
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Stein via Twitter:
Just filed to ESPN.com: Troy Murphy chooses Boston over Miami. Link on the way

lefty
03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Stein via Twitter:
But...

Free agent forward-center Troy Murphy has agreed to sign with the Heat, sources tell Y! Sports. Murphy also turned down Celtics.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»

:lol

Shifty
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
But...

Free agent forward-center Troy Murphy has agreed to sign with the Heat, sources tell Y! Sports. Murphy also turned down Celtics.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»

:lol

Saw that after I posted it. Stein has "replied"

Troy Murphy HIMSELF confirms to ESPN.com that he is going to Boston. B-O-S-T-O-N

:rollin

lefty
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
:lmao WTF

benefactor
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
lol Spears. He needs to let Wojo do the tweeting.

Hooks
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
So if Murphy goes to the Celtics, and Bibby to the Heat, that leaves Butler and Brewer FA's. Since they're going to sign those players does that mean neither of those teams would be able to sign Butler or Brewer?

Shifty
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
So if Murphy goes to the Celtics, and Bibby to the Heat, that leaves Butler and Brewer FA's. Since they're going to sign those players does that mean neither of those teams would be able to sign Butler or Brewer?

I believe there were reports that Butler was to sign with the Bulls. Has that been confirmed?

ajballer4
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Carlos Arroyo is available now. He was released to make room for Bibby. Hes worth a look if we wanna bring someone in to help while TP is out

Mixability
03-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Still a decent deal for a solid big man. He asked for 5 million less than that to stay with Boston.

lol Ainge

But Shaq steps up when it's important! :lol

EricB
03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Carlos Arroyo is available now. He was released to make room for Bibby. Hes worth a look if we wanna bring someone in to help while TP is out

No, no he's not.

hater
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Azubuike anyone? Heard he was close to being healthy from injury.

Dude could ball

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Eddy Curry, a league official tells The News, is negotiating a buyout with Minnesota. Don't rule out Eddy ending up with Boston.

http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN

:downspin:

lefty
03-01-2011, 04:26 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/612805511/butler_gym_normal.jpg
WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/WojYahooNBA) Adrian Wojnarowski

Agent Bob Myers tells Y! that clients T.J. Ford (Pacers) and Jason Kapono (Sixers) are "both unlikely to be bought out." Midnight deadline.

21 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/WojYahooNBA/status/42696996653514752) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

Shifty
03-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Beat me. There goes one of the "emergency" PG options while Tony is down.

IraHeatBeat (http://twitter.com/#%21/IraHeatBeat) Ira Winderman por JMcDonald_SAEN
All might not be as grim as it appears for Carlos Arroyo, with a possible lifeline being extended by Spurs in the wake of Parker's injury.

lefty
03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
10 day contract?

Shifty
03-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Project Spurs says they are interested in Bibby. Old news just tweeted or him going to Miami not a sure thing yet?

EricB
03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Remember one thing, agents use the spurs name to prop up demand. IE Bibby. He's going to Miami, period.

Darkwaters
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Remember one thing, agents use the spurs name to prop up demand. IE Bibby. He's going to Miami, period.

Ironically Boston has been the main name drop this season with the Spurs taking more of a back seat. Of course, with Parker down for the moment I would only assume the Spurs are the new favorite for PG's looking to raise their short-term value.

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Ironically Boston has been the main name drop this season with the Spurs taking more of a back seat. Of course, with Parker down for the moment I would only assume the Spurs are the new favorite for PG's looking to raise their short-term value.

Spurs would be dumb to go after a point guard. IMO

EricB
03-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Spurs would be dumb to go after a point guard. IMO

On a couple of ten days I wouldn't be opposed to it...

Darkwaters
03-01-2011, 05:00 PM

+1

Sign a short-term PG for 10-20 days and then replace him with Marcus Cousin to round out the season.

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM

I'd rather give as much playing time as possible to Neal, Anderson, and or (hopefully) Brewer. Since Hill can start at point and Manu can run back up point ( going out at 6:30 mark and subbing in for Hill at 1:30 mark in 1st/3rd quarters).

This would open up more time for Neal, Anderson and(or) maybe Brewer.

If Spurs sign a PG then that just takes away time from Neal and Anderson at the 2 and 3 because then Hill would play most of his minutes at the 2; at the same time Neal would then play most of his minutes at the 3 ( making Anderson or Brewer ride a lot of pine).

With Parker being out this is the perfect opportunity to find out if Anderson or Brewer (maybe) is ready to contribute during the forthcoming playoff run. Playing time is the only way to find this out.

No to PG's. Spurs back-court situation is fine as is with Quinn being an insurance policy for Hill and Manu.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Expect the Spurs to make a move about the same time Brewer's announcement becomes official, if not before. Arroyo is the likely choice.

EricB
03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Expect the Spurs to make a move about the same time Brewer's announcement becomes official, if not before. Arroyo is the likely choice.

Ill puke if they sign arroyo...

Darkwaters
03-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Preferably the Spurs announcement and Brewers coincide.

angelbelow
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Ill puke if they sign arroyo...

Dont worry, I dont think there's a chance in hell the Spurs sign Arroyo.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Preferably the Spurs announcement and Brewers coincide.

That's the best option, of course, but the point is to expect the Spurs to move quickly the second it doesn't pan out.

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Dont worry, I dont think there's a chance in hell the Spurs sign Arroyo.

But this place would be hilarious if the Spurs signed Arroyo while Brewer went to the Mavs.

Blackjack
03-01-2011, 05:14 PM
But this place would be hilarious if the Spurs signed Arroyo while Brewer went to the Mavs.

More hilarious than the Spurs signing Finley after eschewing the talents of Brewer for Fin's vast corporate knowledge?

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 05:18 PM
More hilarious than the Spurs signing Finley after eschewing the talents of Brewer for Fin's vast corporate knowledge?

Well, it wouldn't be that funny, but I don't recall the Spurs ever eschewing (that's a great word, btw) Brewer's talents for Finley or anyone else.

Kuestmaster
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
If Brewer goes to the Celts, what about Al Thornton? Wizards just waived him http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/thornton_030111.html

Muser
03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Arroyo would just suck, I don't care if he's the end of bench guy.

Blackjack
03-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, it wouldn't be that funny, but I don't recall the Spurs ever eschewing (that's a great word, btw) Brewer's talents for Finley or anyone else.

I'm a writer. I think out of the box. I know funny. ;)

ace3g
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Al Thornton has a destination set up, just hoping to clear waivers. He was waived by mutual agreement in Washington

PDXSpursFan
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Arroyo is OK for backup, but not much of an upgrade over Chris Quinn.