PDA

View Full Version : Haha.. the Celtics moved Perkins because he didn't take Ainge's ridiculous lowball?

baseline bum
02-25-2011, 05:04 AM
:rollin

Ainge: "Agonized" over Perkins deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2011/02/ainge_agonized.html)

Celtics president Danny Ainge said on WEEI he and coach Doc Rivers "agonized'' over trading Kendrick Perkins.

Ainge is banking on the return of Shaquille and Jermaine O'Neal to the lineup and Jeff Green stabilizing the second unit for another championship run.

Ainge beleived Perkins was expendable because of his pending free agency and the expected return of the O'Neals.

“[Perkins] wasn’t interested in doing a contract extension,” Ainge said. “He wanted to test the market.” It was reported that the Perkins rejected a four-year $22 million offer from the team. Perkins was reportedly asking for $30 million over the same period.

"It's tough to play the O'Neals and Perk at the same time," Ainge said. “Shaq has proven to be better with our starters. We beat all of the top teams without Kendrick.”

Ainge said Jermaine "is coming along nicely" and Shaq should return in a week. "We feel good about our team."

Ainge acknowledged the deal has brought some emotion from his players.
“In time they will see the benefits for our team,'' he said.

What the Celtics are getting in Green is a versatile, experienced 24-year-old from Georgetown.

“He can play the four, three. He defends multiple positions. He can shoot the three-ball and post-up smaller guys,” Ainge said. “He has scoring, passing, intelligence, youth, energy all in one package.”

“We shed some tears today,” Ainge said after he told Perkins of his trade to Oklahoma City. “He’s a good kid and is going to a great situation.”

Today’s transactions left the Celtics with three open roster spots. Ainge said the team will aggressively fill those positions.

“We will be ready to pounce on players who will be bought out,” said Ainge, who is looking for help from outside and wing players, as well as a defender. He says guard is the least of his concerns.

“We may fill all three or just two depending on who we get,” Ainge said.

baseline bum
02-25-2011, 05:07 AM
4 years, $22 million? :lol

What a lowball. The average starting center in this league pulls down $6.4 million per year, and they think they're getting an above average legit starting center with championship experience in his mid 20s for a huge discount? Cheap ass motherfuckers. It was hilarious seeing how devastated the whole Celtics team looked in Denver tonight.

Giuseppe
02-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Total loss.

baseline bum
02-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Rarely do you see someone nail himself to the Tree of Woe.

Venti Quattro
02-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Ainge always finds a way to fuck up everytime.

LkrFan
02-25-2011, 05:28 AM
This thread is full of win. The Celtics won't see the Finals again without cable TV. :lol

baseline bum
02-25-2011, 05:35 AM
Jermaine O'Neal is coming along nicely? :rollin

That guy wasn't shit when he was in Indiana. Has Ainge not seen him play this season? Was he not paying attention when Jermaine shit the bed in the 5-game Heat/Celtics series last season? I mean, he was comically bad. It was one of the worst playoff series I have ever seen out of any NBA player period. Actually, fuck that; it was the single worst performance I have ever seen. And this and Shaq's health are now going to be what the Celtics' title hopes rest on? :lol

namlook
02-25-2011, 05:52 AM
This is a huge risk. Jermaine is not someone you can count on to produce in the playoffs even if healthy and Shaq has really slowed down and is very injury prone now.

LnGrrrR
02-25-2011, 05:52 AM
Jermaine O'Neal is coming along nicely? :rollin

That guy wasn't shit when he was in Indiana. Has Ainge not seen him play this season? Was he not paying attention when Jermaine shit the bed in the 5-game Heat/Celtics series last season? I mean, he was comically bad. It was one of the worst playoff series I have ever seen out of any NBA player period. Actually, fuck that; it was the single worst performance I have ever seen. And this and Shaq's health are now going to be what the Celtics' title hopes rest on? :lol

That's exactly what I thought of when we signed him. All Jermaine can really do now is rebound. And who knows if he can do that after these injuries.

TD21-FTW
02-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Bad move by the C's but I still think that they are No.1 contender this year.

benefactor
02-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Those quotes by Ainge are hilarious. That would be like Buford trading away McDyess and saying the Spurs would be fine because they have Matt Bonner.

4 years/30 million is market value...right around MLE money. Ainge is just being Ainge.

sefant77
02-25-2011, 07:14 AM
The 22m was the maximum the Celtics were allowed to offer in an extension.

Of course Perkins doesnt take the extension.

Mel_13
02-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Remember that Ainge was regarded as a mediocre to poor GM until McHale gift wrapped Garnett for his old team. Perkins was a critical part of what they've done for the past 4 seasons and Ainge can't wait to throw him under the bus. Almost makes the Heatles look warm and fuzzy.

Booharv
02-25-2011, 08:31 AM
The 22m was the maximum the Celtics were allowed to offer in an extension.

Of course Perkins doesnt take the extension.

Yeah, I don't think they can afford him. KG, Rondo, Allen, and Pierce make a ton of money next year leaving little else even under the current cba. I'm not a cap expert, but maybe he could have asked them to renegotiate or cleared salary somehow.

Booharv
02-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Remember that Ainge was regarded as a mediocre to poor GM until McHale gift wrapped Garnett for his old team.

Thats partially true; Ainge scored some singles and even some home runs with numerous mid to late first round draft picks; Jefferson, Rondo, Perkins, Allen, and Delonte, were all picked 15 or later and he landed some decent second rounders as well; Gomes, Erden. Also Jefferson for KG wasn't such a bad trade until Al blew his knee out.

Perkins was a critical part of what they've done for the past 4 seasons and Ainge can't wait to throw him under the bus. Almost makes the Heatles look warm and fuzzy.

They should have kept him for this season imo, and tried to find a way to keep him long term. But again I'm not a cap expert nor does anyone know what the cba will look like if they really won't be able to afford him, Perkins would have just signed elsewhere this summer anyways.

hater
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Ainge is banking on the return of Shaquille and Jermaine O'Neal

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao v

Celtics = fucked

"It's tough to play the O'Neals and Perk at the same time," Ainge said. “Shaq has proven to be better with our starters. We beat all of the top teams without Kendrick.”

Ainge is one stupid motherfucker. He seriously is talking about regular season??? And with Shaq currently in the shop???? :wow

hater
02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
the celtics bigmen Ainge is banking on:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3370130015_3bee10c362.jpg

Rummpd
02-25-2011, 10:17 AM
as if Perkins was the answer - vastly over-rated 59th in PER this year as a center and very mediocre during his career - 6 boards, 6 points, less than 2 blocks per game - yeh that is a difference maker. Celtics took a chance but they certainly got a better player in return than the over-rated Perkins.

Red Hawk #21
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM

What a lowball. The average starting center in this league pulls down $6.4 million per year, and they think they're getting an above average legit starting center with championship experience in his mid 20s for a huge discount? Cheap ass motherfuckers. It was hilarious seeing how devastated the whole Celtics team looked in Denver tonight.

Ainge should be shot, I mean come on. You just don't decide to rebuild a championship team for no reason. I can't believe this shit. I hope Celtics fans give him hell.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
as if Perkins was the answer - vastly over-rated 59th in PER this year as a center and very mediocre during his career - 6 boards, 6 points, less than 2 blocks per game - yeh that is a difference make.

Lol @ PER. What are you 6 years old?

Anyone who knows the game of basketball knows what Perk brought to that team.

resistanze
02-25-2011, 10:32 AM
They picked the year the Lakers look vulnerable to blow up their "undefeated" core? Unbeavable. :lol

vy65
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
If perk was signed to the 4 yr/$30 mil deal, this place would be filled with lol knees/lol mcl/lol acl/lol 4/30 per the course/usual, etc...

Guy has played less than half the season . . .

Axe Murderer
02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
as if Perkins was the answer - vastly over-rated 59th in PER this year as a center and very mediocre during his career - 6 boards, 6 points, less than 2 blocks per game - yeh that is a difference maker. Celtics took a chance but they certainly got a better player in return than the over-rated Perkins.

Can you limit your shitty takes to one a day?

mavsfan1000
02-25-2011, 10:46 AM
lol Ainge.

CubanMustGo
02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Can you limit your shitty takes to one a day?

Can you?

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
If perk was signed to the 4 yr/$30 mil deal, this place would be filled with lol knees/lol mcl/lol acl/lol 4/30 per the course/usual, etc...

Guy has played less than half the season . . .

Anyone who laughs at the best position defender in the entire league who starts for a Championship contender getting 7.5M/per is a dumbshit.

Zelophehad
02-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Anyone who laughs at the best position defender in the entire league who starts for a Championship contender getting 7.5M/per is a dumbshit.

qft.

cheguevara
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM

true. It's much better to laugh at a lazy one knee Center who makes 15 mil/year

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 10:57 AM
true. It's much better to laugh at a lazy one knee Center who makes 15 mil/year

Drew is overpaid, no doubt.

I was hoping he'd start earning his coin this season but he still looks unpolished. So long as he holds strong for the playoffs I am ok with him.

And I'll appreciate him even more when his $16M salary is swapped for Dwight's $18M straight up 1 year from now.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Under the new CBA 7.5 could be over 50% of max for all we know..

Which clearly isn't going to happen being that there are a slew of players making MUCH more than that.

Zelophehad
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Under the new CBA 7.5 could be over 50% of max for all we know..

crofl in the new cba 80% of today's players will probably be over-paid. What's the difference between signing someone like Perk for 7.5 now when guys like Haywood were getting untold millions before the season. We knew back then there was going to be a lockout and new cba. Its not like this is two week old news.

Kyle Orton
02-25-2011, 11:12 AM

:lmao evaluating a role player who's best asset is clogging the lane by PER and stats.

Red Hawk #21
02-25-2011, 11:12 AM
The Goods tbh
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nba-analysis-aingle-lost-trust-of-celtics-fans

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
:lol Rummpd uses Hollinger's stats in every post, yet still doesn't understand how to interpret them correctly..

I thought the Cs were smart for not paying Perkins, because I thought he would be getting Haywood money(in relation to the terms of the new CBA), but if the negotiations ended at a low number like that, then that's pretty risky from Ainge's standpoint..must be cautious about his injuries..

Zelophehad
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
:lmao evaluating a role player who's best asset is clogging the lane by PER and stats.

He's also been better before in PER and other advanced stats, but apparently spur fan expects torn ACLs to fully recover in seven months.

Kyle Orton
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
IMO, a big problem is how dumb Doc Rivers looks now for constantly raving about how THE starting 5 had never lost a playoff series. So much for using that as his crutch.

Kyle Orton
02-25-2011, 11:19 AM
He's also been better before in PER and other advanced stats, but apparently spur fan expects torn ACLs to fully recover in seven months.

Tbh, for a fanbase that raves about how class (:cry), intangibles (:cry), defense that doesn't show up in the stat sheet (:cry) and all those other things that are a part of "the spurs way" are important, they sure love using dumb stats like PER.

Zelophehad
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
IMO, a big problem is how dumb Doc Rivers looks now for constantly raving about how THE starting 5 had never lost a playoff series. So much for using that as his crutch.

This has the potential to get real ugly if the O'Neals don't stay healthy. Krstic spending any significant amount of time guarding Howard in a playoff series would be a disaster :lol That would be the ultimate backfire/humiliation.

I watched the OKC-Orl game this year and Howard abused the fuck outta Krstic. I think he went 40/20. I haven't seen a pussy take a pounding like that since the Pam/Tommy Lee video tbh

Red Hawk #21
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Krstic spending any significant amount of time guarding Howard in a playoff series would be a disaster

Spot on.

Jt.ONE
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
he could have stayed on a contending team for less pay but rejects?

winning > slightly more cash.

i don't get the logic of some of these players

cheguevara
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM

he already won a ring. He is still young and can go to a contender later. He looks at bums like Haywood, Bynum. Pretty logical IMO

Red Hawk #21
02-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Well, he probably was thinking along the lines of him being a key role player and contributing to the Celts championship and finals runs. Perk really did deserve more than what he was being offered. Ainge didn't even wait to the summer to get rid of the guy. Way to show gratitude, Danny.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Exactly.

Which is why I created the thread yesterday for Celtic fans about how it only took one Finals beatdown for them to raise the white flag with their "undefeated" core.

Axe Murderer
02-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Can you?

When I start saying dumb shit like Mehmet Okur is the 2nd most clutch player in the NBA, Dirk doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, and evaluating a defensive enforcer by offensive Hollinger stats, then you'll have the right to criticize my takes

Veterinarian
02-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Tbh he might have expected to negotiate and see if he can get more money out of Boston in the offseason, kinda like Odom. Except not have it blow up in his face.

JamStone
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
If all Perk was asking was $30 million over 4 years, if that's really true, Ainge is a fucking idiot. That's even more reasonable than I thought Perk and his agent would go for. I think most people were expecting him to try to get $9-10 million a year.

That's exactly what I thought of when we signed him. All Jermaine can really do now is rebound. And who knows if he can do that after these injuries.

Jermaine can't even consistently do that anymore. I remember last year looking at box scores of Heat games where JO would pull down 2, 3, or 4 rebounds down. And it's not like he's playing next to Dwight Howard. Haslem is a solid rebounder but JO still should have rebounded better. His knees are shattered. He does have some innate ability to still block a shot or two a game. But he's basically worthless now. Even blocking an occasional shot, he's not an elite post defender or weakside defender anymore. He's an average rebounder for a 7 footer. And his offense is child vomit.

If Shaq can play 24 minutes a game and Krstic can fill in most of the back-up minutes, the Celtics might be okay. But they really shouldn't rely on JO being a productive contributor.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
If all Perk was asking was $30 million over 4 years, if that's really true, Ainge is a fucking idiot. That's even more reasonable than I thought Perk and his agent would go for. I think most people were expecting him to try to get $9-10 million a year.

Jermaine can't even consistently do that anymore. I remember last year looking at box scores of Heat games where JO would pull down 2, 3, or 4 rebounds down. And it's not like he's playing next to Dwight Howard. Haslem is a solid rebounder but JO still should have rebounded better. His knees are shattered. He does have some innate ability to still block a shot or two a game. But he's basically worthless now. Even blocking an occasional shot, he's not an elite post defender or weakside defender anymore. He's an average rebounder for a 7 footer. And his offense is child vomit.

If Shaq can play 24 minutes a game and Krstic can fill in most of the back-up minutes, the Celtics might be okay. But they really shouldn't rely on JO being a productive contributor.

Banking on a 39 year old Shaquille O'Neal for a championship run and expecting even 20 good minutes from him is blasphemy. Dude is gassed by the middle of the 1st Q every game.

And Krstic providing anything of value to this Celtics team, a defensive team, is laughable.

As a Laker fan, I love seeing Boston get smaller, weaker and less tough all in one move.

midnightpulp
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Banking on a 39 year old Shaquille O'Neal for a championship run and expecting even 20 good minutes from him is blasphemy. Dude is gassed by the middle of the 1st Q every game.

And Krstic providing anything of value to this Celtics team, a defensive team, is laughable.

As a Laker fan, I love seeing Boston get smaller, weaker and less tough all in one move.

Sup, history2b.

Budkin
02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
This trade feels similar to the Spurs trading Scola away. They feel the guy just isn't worth what he's asking for and will end up becoming a massive loss they will quickly come to regret.

Oh, and it's just plain stupid.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Sup, history2b.

Sup, Punchy.

midnightpulp
02-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Sup, Punchy.

Sup.

:lol at creating a new account so you can once again start threads.

LnGrrrR
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Exactly.

Which is why I created the thread yesterday for Celtic fans about how it only took one Finals beatdown for them to raise the white flag with their "undefeated" core.

:rolleyes

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
:rolleyes

Did they not?

LnGrrrR
02-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Did they not?

Surely, Ainge made the trade only because he was wetting the bed nightly from all those dreams of scary Lakers running through his head.

I guess Lakers made the Pau trade because they were afraid of the Celtics too. :rolleyes

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
02-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Surely, Ainge made the trade only because he was wetting the bed nightly from all those dreams of scary Lakers running through his head.

I guess Lakers made the Pau trade because they were afraid of the Celtics too. :rolleyes

Lakers trading Kwame to get Pau is not the same as the Celtics trading Kendrick to get Jeff freakin' Green.

I really don't see how anyone could see it another way... you brass/player/fans alike all walked away feeling like you were the better team "had Perk played blah blah blah," Cry Me A Rivers whimpering about how his starting 5 are still "undefeated" etc.

So here we are 60% through this season, the C's are atop of the East, ahead of the Lakers in the standings, would likely get home court this year and bam, they shake things up and go small/young over big/tough.

They gave up on their core. Their faith has been shaken. There's no other reason to do what they did.

MannyIsGod
02-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Rarely do you see someone nail himself to the Tree of Woe.

TBH you see that all the time on Spurstalk.

Capt Bringdown
02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Remember that Ainge was regarded as a mediocre to poor GM until McHale gift wrapped Garnett for his old team. Perkins was a critical part of what they've done for the past 4 seasons and Ainge can't wait to throw him under the bus. Almost makes the Heatles look warm and fuzzy.

Exactly. One lousy GM helping out another even more lousy GM.

SenorSpur
02-25-2011, 10:31 PM

Looks like he still is. Ainge was a freaking crybaby and a dirty lil', SOB during his playing days in the NBA. Now as a GM, he still continues to demonstrate how much of a punk he still is. Instead of making a fair offer to Perkins or just simply telling him the truth, in that the Celtics can longer afford to keep him, he instead has to manufacture a scenario to make the player look bad. Anything is fair game, so long as he comes out looking like the hero. It's nice to see that Ainge is still a sorry sack of shit.

ChuckD
02-25-2011, 10:39 PM

KG, Pierce, and Threepoint Mangina have only to look in the mirror to see why their payroll is so royally fucked. The Celts obligation to those three alone is $57 mil next year, and they need 10 other players on the roster. Both Perk and Big Baby were to be FAs this offseason.

mavsfan1000
02-25-2011, 10:43 PM
looks like he still is. Ainge was a freaking crybaby and a dirty lil', sob during his playing days in the nba. Now as a gm, he still continues to demonstrate how much of a punk he still is. Instead of making a fair offer to perkins or just simply telling him the truth, in that the celtics can longer afford to keep him, he instead has to manufacture a scenario to make the player look bad. Anything is fair game, so long as he comes out looking like the hero. It's nice to see that ainge is still a sorry sack of shit.
+1

cheguevara
02-25-2011, 10:46 PM
TBH you see that all the time on Spurstalk.

yup like MannyIsGod when he talks about Team USA soccer :lol