PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with Barkley?

Kamnik
02-25-2011, 12:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2011/02/24/20110224_inside_trades_3.nba/

This is my mentality exactly... why would not teams like Blazers, Suns or Hawks try to rebuild while trading their good players for picks and young players.

It is not fun to get beat in the first or second round year after year, after year...

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I see the flip side of it. There's only so much talent in any given draft, only so many prospects out there. Being a lower seed team and at least getting some playoff revenue out of it seems more reasonable than alienating your fan base and trying to tank when there are other teams out there that are so legitimately terrible that they are going to fail way harder.

JamStone
02-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Charles throws a blanket statement without consideration to the different circumstances of each team.

I don't think it's the right philosophy for a team and franchise that say had been through a decade of lottery picks with no playoffs at all. If they finally get to the playoffs even as a 6, 7, or 8 seed, at least they can get some more fan support and excitement and get a piece of the playoff revenue. And after 10 or so years of not going to the playoffs, I think a team like that would appreciate going to the playoffs for a number of years before trying to sell off their good players for draft picks and cap space.

I think where what Charles says might apply is a team like Phoenix where the stars are older (in the mid 30s) and they've had quite a bit of playoff success over the years and the only thing that would really make a huge difference in fan support is actually getting to the NBA Finals and winning a title. So in the case of guys like Steve Nash and Grant Hill, I would agree with Charles that Phoenix at this point would have been better served to trade them for draft picks and cap space.

It's not the same thing with a team like Portland where they just started to get some success and their stars are still young. The window of opportunity (injuries noted) is wider than for stars like Nash and Hill in Phoenix. So while there are instances where I think Charles would be right, there are also teams that I don't think what he says really applies all that well.

Killakobe81
02-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Charles throws a blanket statement without consideration to the different circumstances of each team.

I don't think it's the right philosophy for a team and franchise that say had been through a decade of lottery picks with no playoffs at all. If they finally get to the playoffs even as a 6, 7, or 8 seed, at least they can get some more fan support and excitement and get a piece of the playoff revenue. And after 10 or so years of not going to the playoffs, I think a team like that would appreciate going to the playoffs for a number of years before trying to sell off their good players for draft picks and cap space.

I think where what Charles says might apply is a team like Phoenix where the stars are older (in the mid 30s) and they've had quite a bit of playoff success over the years and the only thing that would really make a huge difference in fan support is actually getting to the NBA Finals and winning a title. So in the case of guys like Steve Nash and Grant Hill, I would agree with Charles that Phoenix at this point would have been better served to trade them for draft picks and cap space.

It's not the same thing with a team like Portland where they just started to get some success and their stars are still young. The window of opportunity (injuries noted) is wider than for stars like Nash and Hill in Phoenix. So while there are instances where I think Charles would be right, there are also teams that I don't think what he says really applies all that well.

To the original question ...No, he normally just says things without thinking things through and at times is an idiot, though entertaining.

But Jam is right, it depends on the fanbase. First round elimination (like Lakers pre-Gasol) even with a star like Kobe or Nash just leads to more frustration for the fan-base and the star. If you can build around the star which both the suns and lakers did ..great ...but once they get older ...then I agree with chuck. Jam also made a good point, it depends on whether you have had a long playoff drought, your fanbase have a title or bust mentatlity or if your "core" is young. The playoffs for OKC was great last year and i think Philly and Memphis can use it as a great experience to build on. But for Phoenix or Charlotte this year, unless theycan pull off a miracle what will a first round ass whuppin accomplish? Pretty sure, the suns fans dont want to witness ANOTHER loss at the hands of the spurs after just exorcising that demon. But missing the playoffs with Nash and hill's window closing is not the best situation either.

Darrin
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2011/02/24/20110224_inside_trades_3.nba/

This is my mentality exactly... why would not teams like Blazers, Suns or Hawks try to rebuild while trading their good players for picks and young players.

It is not fun to get beat in the first or second round year after year, after year...

I don't agree when you have a deep nucleus like the Portland Trailblazers. I'd kill to have LaMarcus Aldridge, Gerald Wallace, Andre Miller, Nicolas Batum, etc.

The West is too deep and soon that will sort out. What Barkley doesn't understand is that the Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks will all go down-hill in the next 1-3 years. That leaves a vacancy in the elite. Therefore, today's 6th seed is tomorrow's 3rd. Keep the talent you have and eventually it will come together. These teams have players.

Now the teams in the East--Charlotte, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc. Those teams should blow it up and start over. They don't have great players. Brandon Jennings can't shoot straight. It's been over a year now. Rodney Stuckey is mediocre. DJ Augustin isn't a game-changer. They have nothing, they have just enough talent to win 35-40 games and make the postseason. That's a different situation than in the West.

If every team tanks in the West, we'll have a horrible Conference in two years when Tim Duncan is out there in a wheelchair and Kobe Bryant is dribbling up court in a walker.

Killakobe81
02-25-2011, 02:52 PM
i like the Wallace deal (who wouldn't) but Blazers almost have the SAME issue they have had too many similar type players. Aldridge is the only stud. Batum/Wallace Rudy/Roy/Matthews too redudnant.
Blazers need to package these chips and get another STAR ...Pistons a few years back only team to win a title without a surefire HOF or two top 15 players ...on the roster. I dont think Blazers can win a title with that roster if things break right WCF is probably their ceiling

jjktkk
02-25-2011, 03:16 PM
You have to look at it as a case by case basis. Take OKC for example. A young up and coming team last year playing in a new and enthusiastic market. Making the playoffs and giving the Lakers a tough playoff series was a great boost for them and gave them alot of optimism and hope for this year. At the other end, look at Atlanta. Talented team thats been in the playoffs for a few seasons now, but they haven't been able to take that next step, as far as competing for a championship. Has Atlanta peaked already with this team? Is just making the playoffs good enough for the Hawks and their fan base?

Indazone
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
He got it right for the Rockets unfortunately. Tank mode it is!

Andrew Cunanan
02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Charles is full of common sense.