View Full Version : 2011 Draft Prospect: Jimmer Fredette

Bruno
02-25-2011, 04:18 PM
http://otrsportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Jimmer-Fredette.jpg
Height: 6-2
Weight: 195 lbs
Birthday: 02/25/1989
College: BYU

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jimmer-Fredette-5810/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jimmer-fredette)

Mal
02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Going to Utah with Nets` pick

JR3
02-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Ha. No Question.

Mr Fundamental
02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Great shooter.

Indazone
02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Lights out best pg available this year. He will be the Rookie of the Year in the NBA.

ChuckD
02-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Lights out best pg available this year. He will be the Rookie of the Year in the NBA.

Uh, no. He's a shooter, but the speed and power of the NBA might even make that hard for him to get off quickly. He's going to break down NO ONE off the dribble. JJ Reddick was a premium college shooter, and he struggled mightily for 2 years to make his place in Orlando. Jimmer won't even have the advantage of Reddick's height.

Fredette's ceiling is competent rotation guard.

admiralsnackbar
03-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Uh, no. He's a shooter, but the speed and power of the NBA might even make that hard for him to get off quickly. He's going to break down NO ONE off the dribble. JJ Reddick was a premium college shooter, and he struggled mightily for 2 years to make his place in Orlando. Jimmer won't even have the advantage of Reddick's height.

Don't understand the comparison you're trying to draw here given their only commonalities are their skin tone and that they can both shoot lights out. Reddick didn't and doesn't create for himself, whereas Fredette practically does nothing else -- both outside AND inside.

Don't think he's any sort of shoe-in for ROY like the guy you were responding to, and he may be fool's gold like a Dajuan Wagner-type player which would follow your basic line of reasoning, but there's just no credible analogy to be drawn between Reddick and Fredette's playing styles whatsoever.

jjktkk
03-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Don't understand the comparison you're trying to draw here given their only commonalities are their skin tone and that they can both shoot lights out. Reddick didn't and doesn't create for himself, whereas Fredette practically does nothing else -- both outside AND inside.

Don't think he's any sort of shoe-in for ROY like the guy you were responding to, and he may be fool's gold like a Dajuan Wagner-type player which would follow your basic line of reasoning, but there's just no credible analogy to be drawn between Reddick and Fredette's playing styles whatsoever.

Fredette won't be able to drive inside with the success hes had doing the same in college. Fredette doesn't have that explosiveness to finish in the paint.

admiralsnackbar
03-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Fredette won't be able to drive inside with the success hes had doing the same in college. Fredette doesn't have that explosiveness to finish in the paint.

That seems like a perfectly reasonable forecast -- I just wasn't understanding how we got from that to Reddick.

ChuckD
03-09-2011, 08:25 AM
That seems like a perfectly reasonable forecast -- I just wasn't understanding how we got from that to Reddick.

There is a level of shooting in common, coupled with a level of non-athleticism, on the NBA plane, that will not allow them to get their shot of as easily, if at all.

I watch a LOT of film on this kid, and he plays against a LOT of zones. He won't see much of that in the NBA, because, they'll have a "book" on him. Other teams will just toss a quick, long defender at him, and force him to beat them off the dribble by non-stop face guarding him. The defender WILL follow him outside the 3 point line, and either harass him into overdribbling, and stall the offense, or make him give up the ball.

Bill_Brasky
03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm loving jimmers game atm. My only concern is that at his size he will need a little more speed to really take over in nba games. Hopefully he works on it in the off-season.

AlleyOopNazi
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Jimmer can be a much better pro player than Reddick. Jimmer can split a decent double team, his drive and kick-out passing is rediculous for college level play. His shooting reminds me of Steve Nash, and his ball handling reminds me of Deron Williams. He can go behind the back, cross-over, step-back jumper, hesitation dribble and can shoot effectively from NBA 3 line. Hes only 6 feet at best and that will heavily reduce his ability to finish in the paint, but his upsides with passing out of a double and finding his teammates is going to suit him well. Transition 3 is going to make him a tough cover. Fact is there are season point guards in the NBA without the skills that Jimmer already possesses. He will go early in a draft, especially to a team that really needs a point guard. Point guards go early and he'll be in the first tier of that position.

cd98
03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
In his defense, Jimmer has good strength for a guard. So while he may suffer with foot speed, he can use his body and positioning to play adequate defense. Even if he sucks on defense, he can't be any worse than Nash.

And being a good finisher in the paint is not always predicated on speed and jumping ability. Steve Nash is crazy good as a finisher and he is slow and vertically challenged. The ability to hit long range and midrange jumpers can give you a lot of room to operate in the paint.

Spurs da champs
03-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I thought he was taller, after seeing his height I say no, we've got enough small guys the team.

admiralsnackbar
03-14-2011, 01:13 AM
I thought he was taller, after seeing his height I say no, we've got enough small guys the team.

I wouldn't worry a lot about it -- he'll be gone before we can even sniff him with our pick.

DesignatedT
03-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Liked this kid before the season started now he just blew up this season. Dude is going real high.

ChuckD
05-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Let's be honest. If Jimmer were 2 inches taller, went to UNC and was black he would be a top 3 pick.

If my uncle had tits, he be my aunt. What's your point? None of those things are true. He is what he is.

ajballer4
05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Name the last white American to go top 3.

Blake Griffin

Spurs da champs
05-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Blake Griffin

He's half black.

Spurious
05-22-2011, 04:04 PM

Morrison, I presume.

ChuckD
05-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Name the last white American player to dominate in the NBA. Hint: he was from French Lick, IN.

The white American b-ball player is going the way of the black American baseball player.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Who is the mod here? they keep allowing racist posts and deleting all complaints about it.

Saying a player isn't tall enough, fast enough or athletic enough to compete in the league isn't racist.

Get over yourself and stop posting the same crap.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2011, 06:52 PM
That is not what he said. What he said was very very very racist.

This is the post you whined to me about on PM:

Not racist.

ChuckD
05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
At least I didn't call Fredette Greek. That would have meant zero chance at an NBA career. :lmao

Uriel
05-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Let's be honest. If Jimmer were 2 inches taller, went to UNC and was black he would be a top 3 pick.

If Matt Bonner were black and didn't have red hair, people wouldn't lambast him for his defense and rebounding, or lack thereof.

Uriel
05-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Please read the Ryan Richards thread. I'm not saying the hype is because he is black, but I have trouble thinking a white player drafted in the second round from Britian would have similar hype.

I get that. And I have read that thread numerous times, and have posted there on many an occassion. I was just making a point.