PDA

View Full Version : Does Perkins trade to OKC affect our chances?

analyzed
02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Does Perkins trade to OKC affect our chances, of making it to the finals? The thinking is with the trade the west has become a 3 team race between , Spurs , LA and OKC. If the playoffs started today we would meet OKC in the second round. Beating OKC then LA in the playoffs is a tough road to go through. Some say we now are at a size dissadvantage to OKC, what was once a disadvantage to only LA , is now the same situation for OKC . If OKC and LA could only beat up on each other before meeting us that would be great, but as the standings , stand now i don't see OKC catching Dallas

What do you guys think ?

Andrew Cunanan
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Perkins is easily one of the best post defenders in the league, although his offense leaves something to be desired. Unfortunately this means that instead of potentially breezing through 2 playoff series, it will probably just be the first round. Spurs will have to work for it from the WCSF onward, but I think they're up to task.

Budkin
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
We'll still beat OKC with him. Where it will really help is that Boston won't reach the Finals without him, or if they do they will be much easier to beat.

TampaDude
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
He does give OKC a huge boost to their interior defense, something they needed bigtime. We'd still take that series in 6 games, though.

Old School 44
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
They will be a tougher out, but I don't think it changes things too much. I think it will take a while for them to really come together. Maybe if the trade happened earlier in the season, it would have had a bigger impact.

By the way, I am not a Dallas fan by any means, but you have to put them into the equation. Tbh...I'd still put them a head of OKC.

TampaDude
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
They will be a tougher out, but I don't think it changes things too much. I think it will take a while for them to really come together. Maybe if the trade happened earlier in the season, it would have had a bigger impact.

By the way, I am not a Dallas fan by any means, but you have to put them into the equation. Tbh...I'd still put them a head of OKC.

Oh, hell yeah...the Mavs are clearly better than the Thunder. I actually worry more about the Mavs than the Lakers in the playoffs.

JR3
02-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Perkins is easily one of the best post defenders in the league, although his offense leaves something to be desired. Unfortunately this means that instead of potentially breezing through 2 playoff series, it will probably just be the first round. Spurs will have to work for it from the WCSF onward, but I think they're up to task.

Agreed. The trade made OKC more of a matchup problem, but we will prevail.

Cessation
02-25-2011, 06:07 PM
This is a great trade for the spurs, sure Thunder got a little better, but they are still to young to go far in the playoffs. More importantly, the celtics fucked themselves over, their frontline isn't as big anymore, thereby improving the spurs chances of beating them in the finals.

crc21209
02-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes. We better hope that the Thunder meet the Lakers and not us in the 2nd round because if we end up meeting OKC it's going to be an even tougher series now that they have both Perkins and Nazr inside, along with Ibaka. I could see the Spurs and Thunder going 7, ala the Hornets series from a couple years ago, just based on this move.

crc21209
02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
This is a great trade for the spurs, sure Thunder got a little better, but they are still to young to go far in the playoffs. More importantly, the celtics fucked themselves over, their frontline isn't as big anymore, thereby improving the spurs chances of beating them in the finals.

I wouldn't even say the Celtics are the favorites in the East anymore. Miami matches up great with them now...

TampaDude
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't even say the Celtics are the favorites in the East anymore. Miami matches up great with them now...

Yup...and don't sleep on Chicago, either...

Mal
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM

And C`s know that, so they made this trade.

Perkins would help their defence, but he also makes Durate easier to double team.

Libri
02-25-2011, 06:18 PM
He's currently sidelined with a strained left MCL. I don't know if it's going to be an issue for him, the rest of the season.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Jeff Green was a worse match-up for the Spurs than Perkins. They have better depth at center now if you factor in Nazr, but I think ultimately, Duncan/Blair > Perkins/Ibaka. Off the bench a combo of Mohammed/Collison is pretty tough inside but McDyess and Bonner will draw them out of the lane and make them work hard on defense and none of their post players are offensive threats.

02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
getting perkins and nazr made thunder legitimate contenders. they now have interior presence in ibaka and perkins, 2 superstar scorers, and a deep young talented bench. it's going to be hard to match the thunder now.

02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Jeff Green was a worse match-up for the Spurs than Perkins. They have better depth at center now if you factor in Nazr, but I think ultimately, Duncan/Blair > Perkins/Ibaka. Off the bench a combo of Mohammed/Collison is pretty tough inside but McDyess and Bonner will draw them out of the lane and make them work pretty hard on defense and none of their post players are offensive threats.
jeff green is a complete non factor against the spurs this year. in fact, he actually hurts the thunder. in 3 games against the spurs, he averaged 34 FG%, 27 3pt%, and 11 points.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
jeff green is a complete non factor against the spurs this year. in fact, he actually hurts the thunder. in 3 games against the spurs, he averaged 34 FG%, 27 3pt%, and 11 points.

11pts is nothing to sneeze at considering all the Spurs' games with the Thunder are close. Perkins is slow and won't make Duncan work very hard on defense. Green is a lot quicker and can draw defenders out of position by spreading the floor. The Thunder got tougher inside, but easier to defend imo.

02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
11pts is nothing to sneeze at considering all the Spurs' games with the Thunder are close. Perkins is slow and won't make Duncan work very hard on defense. Green is a lot quicker and can draw defenders out of position by spreading the floor. The Thunder got tougher inside, but easier to defend imo.
it is when you're shooting 34%.

temujin
02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
perkins has won a title.
green has won nothing.

Serious upgrade for the Thunders.
Presti's stuff.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
it is when you're shooting 34%.

It's good enough to not cheat on d. It's good enough to spread the floor and open the lane for Durant and Westbrook. He is also a good ball handler and can penetrate and create shots for higher percentage perimeter shooters. The Thunder thrive on open lane drives to the basket. They have to figure out what to do now that the lanes will be clogged.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm not saying it the Thunder didn't get better. I'm saying that it's not a match-up disadvantage for the Spurs . . . which is the point of the thread.

02-25-2011, 07:23 PM
point of the thread is discussing whether or not the perkins trade affects the spurs chances, which it obviously does as perkins improves the team.

DesignatedT
02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
no.

Andrew Cunanan
02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
This makes OKC a much more formidable opponent...don't be dense, people.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 07:28 PM
point of the thread is discussing whether or not the perkins trade affects the spurs chances, which it obviously does as perkins improves the team.

Which is exactly what I did discuss. I can't help it if you can't comprehend what I said. You don't see how a team can improve overall and still not match-up better with certain teams?

AlleyOopNazi
02-25-2011, 07:31 PM
No it does not, losing home court could be they only thing that would EFFECT* us.
And that shit ain't happening.

rmt
02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
LA and DAL will be harder outs than OKC - who are more balanced now with Perkins, Nazr and Nate. Still don't think they have the experience to beat the Spurs in a 7 game series - maybe next year after they've had a year together. Prefer LA and DAL to beat each other up before the Spurs play either.

BOS looks a little less threatening now - especially if they have to work in a couple new players.

Cessation
02-25-2011, 08:07 PM

I agree, celtics decreased their chances of coming out in the east in general, miami, orlando, chicago, all have a legit chance of beating them.

02-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Which is exactly what I did discuss. I can't help it if you can't comprehend what I said. You don't see how a team can improve overall and still not match-up better with certain teams?
i fail to see how a player that averages 11 pts and shoots 34% against the spurs provides a "better matchup." do you not see how awful green plays against the spurs all year? he went 5-15, 2-9, and 4-8. if he was the matchup problem you said he is, why does he suck so much against the spurs? if he draws a bunch of double teams, then why does he average .6 assists against the spurs? he's not a scoring threat on the offense and not a facilitator either. the thunder would be better off giving westbrook and durant the ball.

Cessation
02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
i fail to see how a player that averages 11 pts and shoots 34% against the spurs provides a "better matchup." do you not see how awful green plays against the spurs all year? he went 5-15, 2-9, and 4-8. if he was the matchup problem you said he is, why does he suck so much against the spurs? if he draws a bunch of double teams, then why does he average .6 assists against the spurs? he's not a scoring threat on the offense and not a facilitator either. the thunder would be better off giving westbrook and durant the ball.

Thats goood to know, I hope he plays just as bad in boston.

# 1 Troll
02-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Does Perkins trade to OKC affect our chances, of making it to the finals? The thinking is with the trade the west has become a 3 team race between , Spurs , LA and OKC. If the playoffs started today we would meet OKC in the second round. Beating OKC then LA in the playoffs is a tough road to go through. Some say we now are at a size dissadvantage to OKC, what was once a disadvantage to only LA , is now the same situation for OKC . If OKC and LA could only beat up on each other before meeting us that would be great, but as the standings , stand now i don't see OKC catching Dallas

What do you guys think ?

Spurs aren't making it to the finals anyways dummy. So doesn't matter

Andrew Cunanan
02-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Spurs aren't making it to the finals anyways dummy. So doesn't matter

Hi.

ManuBalboa
02-25-2011, 08:45 PM
The Spurs could not have caught a bigger break. L.A. is big, but C's could pound it inside just as easily. Them losing a bruiser like Perks will be beneficial if Spurs get that far.

mystargtr34
02-25-2011, 08:53 PM
I have no idea where people are coming up with this Dallas is a second tier team idea... if Dirk stays healthy the Mavs are likely neck and neck with the Spurs for the 1st seed with a record of around 50-10... and that was without their x-factor Roddy B.

IMO its the Spurs-Lakers-Mavs in the first tier... OKC-Portland in the second tier.. and then the rest. You could argue the OKC are a nudge above the Blazers.. but that would be a tough 7 game 4-5 series.. The Spurs will be in for a tough second round regard.ess of who comes out of that one.

urunobili
02-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Mavs will play the WCF...

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
i fail to see how a player that averages 11 pts and shoots 34% against the spurs provides a "better matchup." do you not see how awful green plays against the spurs all year?

When you get 11pts from a 3-4 scoring option, that's pretty much all you can ask for. Yes, I do see how Green plays against the Spurs because I watch the games. Which is why I'm not arguing stats with you. As a Spurs fan, you should know that a player's contribution to team basketball is not always reflected in his stat line.

he went 5-15, 2-9, and 4-8. if he was the matchup problem you said he is, why does he suck so much against the spurs? if he draws a bunch of double teams, then why does he average .6 assists against the spurs? he's not a scoring threat on the offense and not a facilitator either. the thunder would be better off giving westbrook and durant the ball.

He doesn't suck against the Spurs. He spreads the floor he draws defense out of the paint, when he penetrates, he draws the defense in opening the perimeter, he rebounds, he plays perimeter d against our perimeter bigs.

Have you ever considered that his low % is due to the Spurs not allowing him to get easy buckets? Westbrook and Durant already have the ball the majority of the time? When Green has it he pulls the defense and makes it easy for Durant and Westbrook to score. He plays inside and out.

Perkins and Mohammed do not do that. The Thunder's post defense has improved, but their perimeter d took a hit. Green worked well in that system. The Thunder are going to have to adapt to players who are predominately locked in the paint.

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Not much. Thunder still aren't a Championship team. Plus, with Perkins gone, Celtics aren't as good.

mystargtr34
02-25-2011, 10:07 PM
The Thunder tradings for Perkins is a good thing for them even against the Spurs. Before this season Green routinely torched the Spurs (keeping in mind every PF becomes an All-Star when being guarded by Blair and Bonner).. however he is a proven mental midget when the playoffs come around so i dont think he would have had much of an impact if the Spurs were to play a series against the Thunder.

Perkins however gives them a solid low post defender and much needed toughness (underated) which you need in the playoffs. No way the Thunder would have ever gotten past the Lakers anyway with Green guarding Gasol for 30 minutes a night.. so they really had to make a deal one way or the other.

lefty
02-25-2011, 10:56 PM
CROFL shitted on by Orlando

Russ
02-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Perkins is a career 6 and 6 man, folks. Statistics don't lie, Spurs fans.

Deal with it.

The pundits are right -- the landscape in the West has dramatically shifted and the Spurs are cooked.

mystargtr34
02-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Lol Howard 40-15-6.

Cessation
02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
lol perkins making thunder contenders

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Perkins makes OKC a lot tougher inside, but I don't think they're ready to go past the second round yet. One more year of playoff seasoning and next season they'll be truly scary.

greyforest
02-25-2011, 11:38 PM
it helps the spurs chances because it makes boston, a potential finals matchup, a weaker team.

Frankie23
02-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Well, it really improve their chances cause they have a better paint defense and rebounding which was their biggest liability.

Although, they lost some offense there. They will depend a lot on Durant, Westbrook and Harden. And winning in the PO only by jump shots is not very often..

02-26-2011, 12:21 AM
perkins and nazr didn't play against the magic.

Cessation
02-26-2011, 12:54 AM
perkins doesnt score much so they still dependent on jumpshots

cheguevara
02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
their D will be better. But IMO their downfall is Westbrook taking more shots than Durant. they will never ever win that way.

tuncaboylu
02-26-2011, 01:40 AM
perkins has won a title.
green has won nothing.

Serious upgrade for the Thunders.
Presti's stuff.

Nazr Mohammed has won a title.
Lebron has won nothing.

Would they trade Nazr for Lebron?

Oh, Gee!!
02-26-2011, 01:46 AM
we'll still spank them, but the trade makes them better imo

TD21-FTW
02-26-2011, 03:50 AM
OKC frontline: Perkins, Ibaka & others suck.

DrSteffo
02-26-2011, 04:25 AM
No.

UnWantedTheory
02-26-2011, 04:29 AM
All legit takes. Right or wrong will be proven with time. I am one of those that does not see it presenting a true problem this year, but it does make them more difficult imo.

LkrFan
02-26-2011, 05:17 AM
It depends on how Perkins returns from his latest knee injury. He is one of the best low post defenders in the NBA. Teaming up with Ibaka they could be downright scary defensively. He doesn't bring much in terms of offense but he is efficient (career FG: 56%) and doesn't suck. He knows how to play with dominant scorers on offense from his Celtic days and can absolutely anchor a defense. He will get plenty of wide open looks playing off of KD/Westbrook.

He plays with an edge and I think he will bring a defensive attitude to the Thunder. As a Laker fan, I absolutely respect what the Thunder are doing. One major advantage we had on them is size. That gap is closed a little bit now.

If they played the Spurs in a series I'm not sure if Perkins would have as much of an affect against you guys. Reason being, y'all are less reliant upon TD than in years past (TD is your lone low post offensive threat. I think Perkins can check him one on one without a double - which is huge). Against the Lakers, he would be much more of a factor because the Lakers rely heavily on their bigs on both sides of the ball (and rightfully so).

I'm not so sure that they couldn't take the Spurs out though. Westbrook would make TP have to play the defensive series of his life. The Spurs ace in the hole is Hill - a player who could step in and can provide more than just serviceable minutes. But what about Durant? The Spurs have no match for him. Unlike against the Lakers in last year's playoffs, if he shoots a low % (like he did against Artest), they have beef in the middle to offensive rebound in Perkins, Ibaka, and Nazr.

I guess time will tell how this trade pans out. My guess is if y'all do meet, the Spurs would prevail. But it wouldn't be in dominant fashion. Spurs in 7 grueling games.

Rummpd
02-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Perkins is very over-rated otherwise Cs would not have given him up.

Muser
02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Spurs would still beat OKC in 6.

GSH
02-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Big frontlines are the Spurs' biggest challenge. Everybody knows it, except maybe some fans who are in denial. The Thunder traded for Perkins primarily for that reason. That alone should give you some idea about what effect the trade will have on the Spurs.

Does it affect the Spurs' chances at a title? It shouldn't. It will make a series with OKC more competitive. But, IMO, the only way it could allow the Thunder to win a 7 game series is if the refs consistently allow their bigs to camp in the paint.

I know some of you will howl about any mention of the officiating, but a lack of defensive 3 seconds calls may be the Spurs' biggest danger this post season. I've watched a number of Orlando and Boston games this season (not against the Spurs) and started noticing something about Howard and Perkins in particular. So I started focusing on them exclusively. Some nights they wander around in the paint for entire possessions. They slide, and pretend like they are coming out of the paint... but they don't. They pretend like they are coming over to get within reach of an offensive player... but they don't.

If the refs call 3 seconds a time or two, and they are forced to come out of the paint occasionally, their stifling defense becomes a bit less stifling. On those nights when the refs aren't calling 3 seconds, the paint becomes almost impenetrable. When they are making calls, the other teams have been able to find openings in the paint to attack. It's been a measurable factor in Boston and Orlando losses. If you don't believe it, go back and look at each of their last couple of losses. If the refs make any early 3-second calls, their games change, and they become a lot more vulnerable.

When those guys are forced to come from the weak side, they give up a lot more points, and pick up a lot more fouls. When they are never on the weak side (because they are right in the middle) they can really shut down the paint and force another team to shoot jump shots.

It will be a factor in several playoff games. How many may determine our chances to win another title. But if we get knocked out... it won't be to the Thunder.

tlongII
02-26-2011, 03:36 PM
The Spurs will most likely lose in the 2nd round, tbh.

lil'mo
02-26-2011, 03:51 PM
the OP's name indicates that he was sodomized

itzsoweezee
02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
He's a huge upgrade to Kristic. Awesome move by OKC. I still don't think they can beat the Spurs this year, but will definitely be a force in the future, especially if they re-sign Perk.

spurs10
02-26-2011, 05:11 PM
the OP's name indicates that he was sodomized
lil'mo get your mind out of the gutter!:lol
As for OKC, if Perkins can play, I think they are stronger. Was never going to be an easy out to begin with. The Spurs can and will defeat OKC, Lakers/Mavs, and Boston in drive for five.
:lobt2::flag::lobt2::flag:

SenorSpur
02-26-2011, 06:15 PM
He's a huge upgrade to Kristic. Awesome move by OKC. I still don't think they can beat the Spurs this year, but will definitely be a force in the future, especially if they re-sign Perk.

Agree.

This was an excellent trade for the Thunder. It gives them more size and strength at the 5 spot - a position where they sorely needed it. Also, it allows Serge Ibaka to move back to his natural position of PF. Pairing him along with Perkins, gives OKC a huge upgrade in frontline defense.

The Thunder were already good enough to win a first-round series and advance to the 2nd round, before the trade. It probably doesn't move them past the top three teams in the conference - and certainly not the Spurs.

Should the Spurs meet them in Round 2, I would expect a hotly competitive series. However, the Spurs should prevail because of sheer execution and experience, along with a much-improved bench.

Now next year...who knows?

Dave McNulla
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
i just don't see what perkins will do. he ddn't play that many minutes for the celtics when he was healthy, maybe 20/game. he doesn't have any offense. and there's nobody on the spurs he needs to shut down; if perk shuts down blair's scoring, spurs will still win.

Cessation
02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
lol he'll shut down blair

mystargtr34
02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Having Perkins means Duncan will be played single coverage by one of the best post defenders in the NBA... meaning Blair and Bonner will likely be matched up against Ibaka. They will have a tough time scoring against someone as big and athletic as him. Throw in Sefolosha who is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league... plus Westbrook and Durant. Thunder have the potential to be Celtic-esque defensively.. which will likely keep them within striking distance in pretty much every game they play.

angelbelow
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Theyre definitely a better team but I dont think they have enough. No legit post scorer, lack of shooters and overall lack of depth compared to our team. They should be solid for years to come though.

lefty
02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
ths thread is pretty epic

Cessation
02-26-2011, 10:45 PM
thats a hilarious sig muser, that guy is so annoying

Sean Cagney
02-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Oh, hell yeah...the Mavs are clearly better than the Thunder. I actually worry more about the Mavs than the Lakers in the playoffs.

I agree, but LA still is a very tough team to out IMO. They will come to play.

Splits
02-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Perkins looks excited about the trade.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/248829399.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1298830444&Signature=D%2FaL9HrTDDy1z7cJcmYU89ae0JM%3D

Fireball
02-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Just heard that Perkins will be out 2-3 weeks, so obviously his knee sprain is worse than assumed before the trade ....

dbestpro
02-27-2011, 05:29 PM
So far. OKC has yet to score over 90 points since the trade. While, only two games is a small sample it is an ominous sign of offensive struggles to come as Perkins will not be able to provide that 3rd scoring option missing since Green's departure.

To put it in persepctive OKC had ony scored below 90 ppg 4 times this entire season up to the last two, twice against Boston, once against Milwaukee early in the season on a back to back, and once against New Orleans.