PDA

View Full Version : Does Gary Neal become such a big factor...

MannyIsGod
02-25-2011, 11:29 PM
If not for the injury to James Anderson? Prior to the injury, Anderson was playing fairly well and was dominating the minutes off the bench for the 2/3. Neal had seen some time but Pop was obviously going first and foremost with Anderson.

Had Anderson not gotten hurt would he have continued to get those minutes and would Neal be buried on the bench?

ChuckD
02-25-2011, 11:35 PM
If not for the injury to James Anderson? Prior to the injury, Anderson was playing fairly well and was dominating the minutes off the bench for the 2/3. Neal had seen some time but Pop was obviously going first and foremost with Anderson.

Had Anderson not gotten hurt would he have continued to get those minutes and would Neal be buried on the bench?

I remember Neal having some good games even when JA was playing. He had a couple of real eye opener games in those first six. I think if JA doesn't get hurt, they both get time and Manu is a lot more rested.

xellos88330
02-25-2011, 11:36 PM
I think he would still be a factor. He never seemed to be afraid to shoot. That is one of the differences between him and Anderson. Anderson seems to ignore his instincts where Neal seems to use his. I will say this, had they both been healthy, I think this team would have been near unstoppable at this point.

Spurologist
02-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Don't know if anyone has the minutes played stats b/f and the Anderson injury. I'm never good at digging those kinds of stats out. I think he would've still had an impact but we probably would've be taking about him in the same light we are now. It just shows how much depth we have.

I just hope Anderson can regain his form and help lower Manu's minutes heading into the playoffs.

ohmwrecker
02-25-2011, 11:42 PM
There is no stopping Neal. Dude is on a mission.

ChuckD
02-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Looking at the game logs for Neal in those first six, he had an 8 point 2-4 3p, a 16 point 4-8 3p and a 15 point 5-7 3p game before JA went down.

ducks
02-26-2011, 12:02 AM
There is no stopping Neal. Dude is on a mission.

the injury to address forced pop to play him more
neal did not have to worry about messing up and getting benched right away

Fireball
02-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Before JA was hurt Pop clearly said despite a good game of Neal that there would be nights when Neal would see a DNP ... so yes, the injury of JA helped Neal improve and give confidence to the coaches. Even if JA was 100% fit right now, Gary Neal would see his share of minutes every game ...

UnWantedTheory
02-26-2011, 04:36 AM
I remember Neal having some good games even when JA was playing. He had a couple of real eye opener games in those first six. I think if JA doesn't get hurt, they both get time and Manu is a lot more rested.
I agree with this, but JA going down has opened up more minutes for Neal. He was just able to prove himself slightly earlier & given more opportunities. Now lets hope JA can come back to form before the PO's & we actually use him if appropriate.

urunobili
02-26-2011, 08:32 AM
No. In the loss to NOH in San Antone Neal brought us back and both JA and him played together in the clutch in a game we almost tied if RJ three doesn't rim out.

They were both playing well.

benefactor
02-26-2011, 09:21 AM
The thing with Neal is that he is never afraid to shoot...ever. This is probably in the top 5 of rules in the Pop discipleship handbook. Because of that he would have gotten minutes whether Anderson went down or not.

Flux451
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
The thing with Neal is that he is never afraid to shoot...ever. This is probably in the top 5 of rules in the Pop discipleship handbook. Because of that he would have gotten minutes whether Anderson went down or not.

i dont recall James being afraid to shoot either. if he didnt sshoot, he usually drove into lane. i think Neal aquired himself more in different situations had JA not been injured. but the system with both sharing minutes before JA injury was prety tight. i thought Pop did a great job early in season with these two.

i remember both coming in and hitting a lot of threes. i hope it gets back to that formula. thats what will help Spurs become champions.

K-State Spur
02-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that JA's injury has been a positive for Neal (while creating some negatives for the team at the same time).

Gary had some good games and was receiving PT before Anderson went down, so no reason to think that he wouldn't have continued to do so until now.

At the same time, it forced Pop to stay with Neal on nights when he was NOT hitting. That's given him a chance to work on a lot of aspects of his game beyond the catch-and-shoot factor.

ace3g
02-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I think this year, these minor injuries have really helped the Spurs implement players coming back from injury (that would have a tough time getting back in the rotation).

1. Bonner went down with the knee injury = Splitter gets a foot back into the rotation to show he can play some meaningful minutes.

2. Neal with the concussion symptoms = James Anderson gets a foot back in as well.

With these injuries Pop was forced to play these guys = blessing in disguise

barbacoataco
02-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I think Neal has had more playing time with JA out. What would have happened if they both were healthy is hard to say because I'm still not sure how good Anderson is.

m33p0
02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
he was given the opportunity. he grabbed it with both hands.

DPG21920
02-26-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/simon_cowell_on_red_x1.jpg

"Yes"

- Lefty

rascal
02-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Had Anderson not gotten hurt Anderson would have been much better than what Neal is now.

MannyIsGod
02-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I really doubt that. I don't know if you're overrating Anderson or just not appreciating the level Neal has played at this season but I don't for a second think Anderson would be playing as well as Neal has.

I think Anderson can be a good contributer to this team but I think Neal is something incredibly special. He's sixth man of the year material.

DPG21920
02-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Really? Anderson was playing pretty damn well on both ends before he got hurt, Manny.

Sup Manny.

The Truth #6
02-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't see any competition between the two. If JA wasn't injured they both would be playing well and the team would be playing even better. And yes, Manu would be better rested.

SenorSpur
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Don't know if anyone has the minutes played stats b/f and the Anderson injury. I'm never good at digging those kinds of stats out. I think he would've still had an impact but we probably would've be taking about him in the same light we are now. It just shows how much depth we have.

I just hope Anderson can regain his form and help lower Manu's minutes heading into the playoffs.

The latter part of that last statement is what concerns me - the number of minutes Manu has logged. It's very key for Manu to be a fresh as possible entering the playoffs. I wonder if Pop will dial him back, just a bit, once Neal and Anderson are both a full disposal?

howbouthemspurs
02-27-2011, 03:00 AM
well duh!

ducks
02-27-2011, 11:00 AM
The latter part of that last statement is what concerns me - the number of minutes Manu has logged. It's very key for Manu to be a fresh as possible entering the playoffs. I wonder if Pop will dial him back, just a bit, once Neal and Anderson are both a full disposal?

but spur fans thought spurs did not overpay him

Bambililos
02-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I second what many have said. It doesn't really matter who's better between Anderson and Neal, the point is Manu could have been better rested had JA stood healthy.
Hopefully, the Spurs will take the time and games to rest Manu and get AJ some burn.

John Basedow
02-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Gary Neal will turn into a pumpkin in the playoffs.

YODA
02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Some stats for first 6 games....Between Anderson and Neal

Anderson's best game was game #1 where he scored 10 points in 26 min played. needless to say Neal played but 1 trash min.

In games #3 and #5 both players played the exact same amount of minutes of 20 min in game#3 and 14 min in game#5. anderson scored a total of 14 pts in both games, while Neal scored 31. Neal scored 15 and 16 pts in these games.

In game #4 Hill was a DNP and Anderson was given the minutes, getting 23 min and 6 pts, while Neal got 7 min and 2 pts.

In GAME #6 Pop Sent Neal back to trash time minutes with only 1 min played, but Anderson still played some, getting 11 min and 7 pts.

What Can we get from this information?

Obviously, Neal was helped to get more minutes from this injury, but seemed like both were playing well when they had their oppertunies. Neal was the one who actually scored some pts between the two, but it was anderson who got minutes in every game, with Neal basically getting 2 DNPs in the first 6 games played.

Getting Anderson back can only boost our depth and help Take some pressure of Manu. Im just not sure how Pop will utilize him though.

ChuckD
02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Some stats for first 6 games....Between Anderson and Neil

Anderson's best game was game #1 where he scored 10 points in 26 min played. needless to say Neal played but 1 trash min.

In games #3 and #5 both players played the exact same amount of minutes of 20 min in game#3 and 14 min in game#5. anderson scored a total of 14 pts in both games, while Neal scored 31. Neal scored 15 and 16 pts in these games.

In game #4 Hill was a DNP and Anderson was giving the min, getting 23 min and 6 pts, while Neal got 7 min and 2 pts.

In GAME #6 Pop Sent Neal back to trash time minutes with only 1 min played, but anderson still played some, getting 11 min and 7 pts.

Obviously, Neal was helped to get more minutes from this injury, but seemed like both were playing well when they had their oppertunies. Neal was the one who actually scored some pts between the two, but it was anderson who got minutes in every game, with Neal basically getting 2 DNPs in the first 6 games played.

Getting Anderson back can only boost our depth and help Take some pressure of Manu. Im just not sure how Pop will utilize him though.

Spelled his name wrong, you did. Hmmmmm.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Both of them started out pretty damn good, and even got some time together. I think Anderson being out has meant more minutes for Neal, but that's more to keep from having to give all of the minutes to Ginobili. There's probably enough minutes for both of them the rest of the season and Manu will be able to get a little rest and Parker can start to get into playoff shape.

YODA
02-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Spelled his name wrong, you did. Hmmmmm.

corrected I have

Obstructed_View
02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Some stats for first 6 games....Between Anderson and Neal

In game #4 Hill was a DNP and Anderson was giving the min, getting 23 min and 6 pts, while Neal got 7 min and 2 pts.

In GAME #6 Pop Sent Neal back to trash time minutes with only 1 min played, but Anderson still played some, getting 11 min and 7 pts.

Obviously, Anderson was better in practice. Pop wouldn't refuse to play a guy who can actually play for no reason.

YODA
02-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Looking over the stats more for first 6 games between Neal and Anderson. I went ahead and looked how Hills numbers effected them.

To start theseason(game#1), Hill started off with 27 and Anderson 26 minutes. Neal was basically a DNP with 1 min of trash time. This tells me POP was intent to go with Anderson to start the season.

Game #2 Neal almost played twice as many minutes as Anderson. Why would pop go this route after game #1 numbers of Anderson?? I have no idea.

Game #3 Hill plays only 6 min and gets hurt. So who would you think Pop would use to fill most of his min??? The Answer is both. Both Anderson and NEAL played 20 minutes, but Neal was on fire with 16 pts.

Game #4 HILL DNP with injury. you might think pop woudl go with Neal here after such a big game, but Pop actually goes with Anderson, playing him 23 minutes and giving out just 7 minutes to Neal. Why?? ...No idea

Game #5 Hill plays 20 min and Pop plays Both Neal and Anderson the exact amount of minutes a piece at 14 minutes. Neal However comes out on top, scoring 15 pts.

game #6 Hill is back to normal, playing 26 min and Anderson just plays 11 minutes for 7 points. What strikes me odd here is Neal was basically a DNP with 1 minute played in trash time with no stats.