PDA

View Full Version : Pistons players skip practice

Cry Havoc
02-26-2011, 12:16 AM
A number of Detroit Pistons were rumored to be leaving the team around the trade deadline, but not like this.

Tracy McGrady, Tayshaun Prince, Richard Hamilton and Chris Wilcox missed the team's shootaround Friday morning before that night's game against the Sixers in Philadelphia, and team sources told multiple media outlets that the players were staging a protest.

Sources told the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News that the shootaround boycott was directed at second-year coach John Kuester, who has clashed with players in the past.

Team spokesman Cletus Lewis said that McGrady had a headache, Prince an upset stomach and Hamilton and Wilcox missed the bus from the team hotel.

Rodney Stuckey and Austin Daye also missed the bus, but they arrived toward the end of a media session, Lewis said.

Ben Wallace also missed the shootaround but was dealing with a family matter, Lewis said, as he has over the past month.

"We'll go with the group that was here," said Kuester about facing the 76ers, according to the Free Press. "We got a number of guys that have a bug, but these guys went through shootaround the way it was supposed to. We have some things, some excuses, not excuses, but absences because of headache and stuff like that.

"We'll go with this group right here because they went through shootaround."

Later in the day, Kuester backed off those comments, saying he expected "everybody to be available."

When told it was suggested the Pistons had other motives for skipping shootaround, Kuester said, "Sometimes perception is different than reality."

The Pistons only used six players Friday night: DaJuan Summers, Charlie Villanueva, Greg Monroe, Ben Gordon and Will Bynum started, and Jason Maxiell came off the bench.

McGrady, Prince and Stuckey did not play.

Coach John Kuester wasn't around for the finish -- he was ejected in the second quarter after he was whistled for two quick technical fouls arguing a non-call.

Kuester called the personnel situation "an internal matter." The Pistons are home Saturday against Utah and there was no word if the missing players would be available.

"I feel badly for John Kuester," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "I think it's a black eye for the league. I know Detroit is in disarray right now at some level. You worry about a coach and, you know, his psyche after something like that happens."

Hamilton was rumored to be headed to New Jersey in a three-team trade with the Nuggets that would have landed Carmelo Anthony in New Jersey. That deal fell through. The Dallas Mavericks reportedly expressed interest in Prince at the deadline but couldn't pull off a trade.

Hamilton is averaging a career-worst 13.3 points per game after going for 17.7 for his 11-year career, the last eight of which came with the Pistons.

Prince has spent his entire eight-year career with Detroit and is having another solid, if unspectacular year, with averages of 14.1 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.

McGrady is in his first year with the Pistons and is averaging only 8.4 points per game. Wilcox is getting only 16.7 minutes per game and averaging 5.6 points.

The most important numbers for the Pistons, however, concern where they are in the standings. Detroit is 21-38, mired in fourth place in the Central and 6½ games behind Indiana for the final playoff spot in the East.

The Pistons didn't make the playoffs last year for the first time in nine years. They won it all in 2003-04.

A team source told the Free Press that it wasn't clear what the next step would be for the Pistons, but he acknowledged that Detroit had just gone through an organized protest.

There have been signs of disharmony almost from the beginning. Kuester benched Stuckey barely a week into the season, although that was only temporary.

Kuester then benched Hamilton on Jan. 12, and he didn't play again until a Feb. 5 game at Milwaukee. Hamilton has missed every game since then. The team has said Hamilton has a groin injury.

The team was unable to trade Hamilton before Thursday's deadline. He's guaranteed $20 million over the next two seasons.

Kuester has juggled the lineup quite a bit this season, trying to find combinations that might help propel the Pistons to a playoff spot, but so far it's been no use. McGrady has been a bright spot, staying healthy and settling in as a point guard, and rookie big man Greg Monroe is showing promise -- but Detroit has clearly fallen a long way since Hamilton, Prince and Wallace led the Pistons to the 2004 NBA title.

Owner Karen Davidson has been trying to sell the team, and that turned into a drawn-out saga after she said she hoped it would be done by the start of the season. On Feb. 11, Davidson confirmed she and investor Tom Gores had a two-week "exclusivity" period for negotiations.

On Friday -- exactly two weeks later -- there was no update from the owner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6159298

Looks like what's happening in the Middle East has finally spread to the NBA. :lol

Kai
02-26-2011, 01:07 AM
That's pretty pathetic.

DJ Mbenga
02-26-2011, 01:20 AM
FzK-YbJWb_c

IronMexican
02-26-2011, 01:24 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2uiiul5.jpg

Jesus

cheguevara
02-26-2011, 01:25 AM
dayum!!!

redzero
02-26-2011, 02:12 AM
The players who actually showed up to practice got hosed.

InRareForm
02-26-2011, 02:20 AM
chumps

Chieflion
02-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Iverson influences them till this day.

baseline bum
02-26-2011, 02:29 AM
FzK-YbJWb_c

That will be the last time Kuester ever sets foot on an NBA floor again.

Dex
02-26-2011, 03:03 AM
This league is getting full of spoiled brats. Even what used to be considered generally high character teams are getting corrupted now. Players holding franchises hostage, asking for or demanding trades even in the middle of successful seasons, starting altercations over respected systems and running coaches out of town, and now a damn-near half team mutiny?

I think the Detroit players are obviously to blame here (because no players should just outright quit on their coach and team like that, no matter how bad they are playing or they don't agree with him) but even then, it's pretty obvious Kuester has lost them. Both will probably feel the repercussions of this ordeal, whether deserved or not.

Either way, doesn't look good with the CBA looming and the NBA demanding big sacrifices from the players of what has increasingly become a 'get mine' league.

sefant77
02-26-2011, 07:08 AM
McGrady is a cancer

mavsfan1000
02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
lol Mcgrady. Idiot. Totally unprofessional of him. You get paid millions and then act like that.

Giuseppe
02-26-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't see the regular rank & file Piston assholes in here. Where is Jammie and his 3 paragraph explanation taking both sides? That f'in' hump.

8FOR!3
02-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't know, I feel bad for Kuester, but I think it's a situation where has to go. That said, I think you've got to straight up cut some of these guys. It's gonna fuck you over having to pay their contracts out, but they're better off getting some scrubs for the minimum and rebuilding from there. Ben Wallace should know better than to treat the Pistons org like that. Duncan would never do that to us...

Giuseppe
02-26-2011, 10:19 AM
...& even when Rose did we never heard about it.

tee, hee.

JamStone
02-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I expressed my feelings in a thread in the Pistons section. It was a shameful display by the players. I want the entire team purged, except for Greg Monroe, Austin Daye, and Jonas Jerebko. I want the coaching staff gone. I want Joe Dumars gone. This season has been horrible. I want the sale to be finalized already so changes can be made.

Giuseppe
02-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Just checkin' assholes, Jammie. Yer cleared.

ChuckD
02-26-2011, 10:57 AM
That's pretty pathetic.

Agreed. They get paid a ton of money to show up 82 times and play a game or sit on the bench. Poor little rich men.

BackStabber
02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Good job benching their assses.

Darrin
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
I expressed my feelings in a thread in the Pistons section. It was a shameful display by the players. I want the entire team purged, except for Greg Monroe, Austin Daye, and Jonas Jerebko. I want the coaching staff gone. I want Joe Dumars gone. This season has been horrible. I want the sale to be finalized already so changes can be made.

Did you watch the game last night? The Pistons commentators downplayed this incident and said the Pistons players "needed to put it behind them and come out and play hard every night." There was no mention of the inexcusable action, even from Eli Zaret. There was no identifying what the problem was.

So along with the firings, can we get rid of whoever is responsible for Pistons' broadcasts turning into a running commerical for mediocre talent? If it's Joe Dumars and his "in-house" attitude, then fire him. If it's Pete Skorich, I don't care how long he's been with the organization, get rid of him. If it's George Blaha, send him packing.

When I see a broadcast I want information and impartial opinion. I don't want these guys to kiss ass and sell shit as if it is gold. The Pistons just had a player walkout, one I can't remember seeing since Dan Issel had something similar happen in 2001 with the Denver Nuggets, only it was the whole team. Media descended on the team in the middle of a losing season to get the scoop. I remember watching Antonio McDyess try to downplay it with 50 media members around his locker.

This is not a part of the Pistons culture and the one thing you have to do is keep that idea of the culture alive. When you have a belief system, and you know you are right, it has to be defended. But the Pistons want us to continue to cheer for players after they get back because they won't have the will to waive these players. To stop a fan revolt against them, and possibly not coming out to the Palace, they continue to sell the team.

They did it with Allen Iverson. They are doing it now with these players. I'm tired of the bullshit. I'm paying for this and I want people who tell it like it is.

JamStone
02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I watched most of the broadcast. I didn't expect them to talk about it much. Most of the talk was indirect language on what happened. And most of it mitigated by terms like "late to practice" instead of "player protest." It did turn into more of a ass-kissing of the six players who showed up and had to play the entire game. It was over the top, but I wasn't surprised that George and Greg focused on those guys.

There are also differing reports on who actually missed the practice without reason. Some reports say that Ben Wallace was excused for personal reasons, T-Mac had a headache, and Tayshaun was excused because of his back. It's pretty much PR bullshit, but it's been thrown out in the media to at least cause some doubt on how big of a display this player revolt was. It's basically putting it all on Rip Hamilton. Hard to really know what's going on behind the scenes. But all I know is that this circus needs to stop and they need a complete overhaul of the organization, top to bottom. I've listed the three players I want to return. I know they can't get rid of everyone but I'd like to see them try. Sell at wholesale. Give Charlie and Ben Gordon away for anything. Let Tay and T-Mac walk. Send Rip home and tell him not to come back but don't buy him out so he has to rot for another two years and can't play on another NBA team. Keep Arnie Kander and Mike Abdenaur and say good bye to everyone else in the organization and start from scratch.

Darrin
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I watched most of the broadcast. I didn't expect them to talk about it much. Most of the talk was indirect language on what happened. And most of it mitigated by terms like "late to practice" instead of "player protest." It did turn into more of a ass-kissing of the six players who showed up and had to play the entire game. It was over the top, but I wasn't surprised that George and Greg focused on those guys.

There are also differing reports on who actually missed the practice without reason. Some reports say that Ben Wallace was excused for personal reasons, T-Mac had a headache, and Tayshaun was excused because of his back. It's pretty much PR bullshit, but it's been thrown out in the media to at least cause some doubt on how big of a display this player revolt was. It's basically putting it all on Rip Hamilton. Hard to really know what's going on behind the scenes. But all I know is that this circus needs to stop and they need a complete overhaul of the organization, top to bottom. I've listed the three players I want to return. I know they can't get rid of everyone but I'd like to see them try. Sell at wholesale. Give Charlie and Ben Gordon away for anything. Let Tay and T-Mac walk. Send Rip home and tell him not to come back but don't buy him out so he has to rot for another two years and can't play on another NBA team. Keep Arnie Kander and Mike Abdenaur and say good bye to everyone else in the organization and start from scratch.

If you told me in 2004 or even 2006 I would write this, I would call you a liar. But I agree with you. I said it before the season even started this team needed to be blown up and keeping them together would get someone fired (and should).

Kriz-Maxima
02-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Sad thing is I don't think I will be able to look at the 04 crew the same. I've lost all respect for Rip and Tay.

I wish we could get the news that they've cut Tracy and Ben and sent Rip and Tay home. But Dumars doesn't have the backbone to stand to the players he has catered to for years and who he has allowed to run out coach after coach. Just for that, I want Dumars to resign.

Red Hawk #21
02-26-2011, 12:03 PM
This is all a big fucking mess. Pistons need to start it all over, the right way.

Zelophehad
02-26-2011, 12:21 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2uiiul5.jpg

Jesus

Austin Daye took part in the boycott.

Booharv
02-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Austin Daye took part in the boycott.

I doubt it, I think he was injured.

Spur_Fanatic
02-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Once again. the cancer hits a new team.