PDA

View Full Version : If the Lakers don't win the championship this year, will it be the biggest chokejob

midnightpulp
02-26-2011, 01:23 AM
in NBA history?

Listening to their fans, they've all but guaranteed themselves the title, even going as far to say that it's destiny. Time after time, us fans of opposing teams have heard them bloviate about how no one can match up with their frontline and how they can't be closed out when it counts. And now with Perkins's departure from the Celtics, they're already making room to hang their 12th championship banner.

And apparently, the Spurs are the new Phoenix Suns, _irk's a choker, and the cHeat are too soft inside, so these three teams won't offer much resistance to the living manifestation of God (Kobe Bryant) and his disciples in their quest for another O'Brien.

So, considering that, do you guys think this will be a chokejob for the ages if the Lakers somehow falter this Spring?

DJ Mbenga
02-26-2011, 01:33 AM
you forgot to log in as 21 dickings

xellos88330
02-26-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't think it will be a choke job by the Lakers more so than the LA fans causing the extinction of crows.

I guess they must be pretty hungry. :stirpot:

midnightpulp
02-26-2011, 01:37 AM

Honest question, really.

The most notable posters in your fanbase have already guaranteed a Lakers championship. With such a proclamation, anything less than a title would be a chokejob, imo.

Medvedenko
02-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Nice thread.

j.dizzle
02-26-2011, 01:40 AM
You obsessed tbh.

midnightpulp
02-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Nice thread.

I'm sure your highlights starting tingling when you saw it was me who made this thread, but this is not a Laker hating/Kobe bashing topic. According to most of you, the Lakers are the overwhelming favorites to win it all, 100% as far as some fans are concerned, so if they don't add a banner this year, how massive of a choke would it be by your beloved franchise?

Medvedenko
02-26-2011, 01:50 AM
If the playoffs started today, I truly believe the Spurs would win the chip. Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball, however working with stats, trends, past history, forecasts, protractors, barometers and knowing the Mamba's hungry; then yes, I'm confident for past performance usually predict future results.

midnightpulp
02-26-2011, 01:53 AM
If the playoffs started today, I truly believe the Spurs would win the chip. Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball, however working with stats, trends, past history, forecasts, protractors, barometers and knowing the Mamba's hungry; then yes, I'm confident for past performance usually predict future results.

Fair enough. I take it you wouldn't call it a chokejob then?

Beau
02-26-2011, 01:56 AM
I'm sure your highlights starting tingling when you saw it was me who made this thread, but this is not a Laker hating/Kobe bashing topic. According to most of you, the Lakers are the overwhelming favorites to win it all, 100% as far as some fans are concerned, so if they don't add a banner this year, how massive of a choke would it be by your beloved franchise?

Lakers don't have a gag reflex. They just won't get the job done, tbh.

Medvedenko
02-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Fair enough. I take it you wouldn't call it a chokejob then?

Not really. Given that I've watched a lot of ball in my time, it's very difficult for a team to win the championship. It takes talent, health, great coaching, and most importantly luck. If a team that wins a back to back and then loses, is it a choke job? Argument is, well they've won it the last 2 years, so yes, however there's too many variables in life and in basketball. My previous post was more sarcastic and obtuse really. Remember, there is only 1 winner each year, so technically everyone chokes.

midnightpulp
02-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Not really. Given that I've watched a lot of ball in my time, it's very difficult for a team to win the championship. It takes talent, health, great coaching, and most importantly luck. If a team that wins a back to back and then loses, is it a choke job? Argument is, well they've won it the last 2 years, so yes, however there's too many variables in life and in basketball. My previous post was more sarcastic and obtuse really. Remember, there is only 1 winner each year, so technically everyone chokes.

That's the old school Med. Rational, reasoned, and objective :tu

Medvedenko
02-26-2011, 02:13 AM

Well I just had my highlights re-touched, so life is good.... :p:

Koolaid_Man
02-26-2011, 02:19 AM
in NBA history?

Listening to their fans, they've all but guaranteed themselves the title, even going as far to say that it's destiny. Time after time, us fans of opposing teams have heard them bloviate about how no one can match up with their frontline and how they can't be closed out when it counts. And now with Perkins's departure from the Celtics, they're already making room to hang their 12th championship banner.

And apparently, the Spurs are the new Phoenix Suns, _irk's a chocker, and the cHeat are too soft inside, so these three teams won't offer much resistance to the living manifestation of God (Kobe Bryant) and his disciples in their quest for another O'Brien.

So, considering that, do you guys think this will be a chokejob for the ages if the Lakers somehow falter this Spring?

I don't think so mid...I think your deep throat last June is immortalized in history...

tlongII
02-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Not a choke job at all. The Blazers will be favored over them, tbh.

LkrFan
02-26-2011, 04:08 AM
The Spurs are on a tear ala 2007 Mavs...:toast

Giuseppe
02-26-2011, 04:20 AM

tee, hee.

Bill_Brasky
02-26-2011, 04:59 AM
The Spurs are on a tear ala 2007 Mavs...:toast
So which is it? Are they the Mavs or the Suns?

LkrFan
02-26-2011, 05:24 AM
So which is it? Are they the Mavs or the Suns?
2007 Mavs. They were heads and shoulders above the NBA that year - in the regular season that is. Then they flamed out in the 1st round. If the season ended today, you guys are safe: Spurs v. Jazz with no D-will. However, if y'all end up playing Denver, I'm not so sure that history won't repeat itself. In one of your "wins" against Denver, y'all cheated. March 23rd will be a fun rematch. The Spurs vs the retooled staaacckkkkeddd Nuggets. Should be fun to watch. :lol

:toast

JamStone
02-26-2011, 05:29 AM
I never really judged whether a team choked or not based on the expectations of the biased home fans. But if that's the gauge you would use, then I'd say no. 2007 Patriots come to mind. In the NBA just look a few years ago to the 2003-04 Lakers with the 4 HOFers. It might be up there, but probably not the biggest chokejob. But again, that's if your only gauge is based on biased homer fan expectations.

Darrin
02-26-2011, 05:34 AM
2006 Pistons was a pretty big choke job.

Riddler
02-26-2011, 07:17 AM
in NBA history?

And apparently, the Spurs are the new Phoenix Suns, _irk's a chocker, and the cHeat are too soft inside, so these three teams won't offer much resistance to the living manifestation of God (Kobe Bryant) and his disciples in their quest for another O'Brien.

No, we already know who that belongs to :lmao

Venti Quattro
02-26-2011, 08:50 AM
It's sad that midnightpulp has resorted to Laker troll confidence opinion to make a thread spiting the Lakers and their championship hopes.

Bito Corleone
02-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Listening to their fans, they've all but guaranteed themselves the title, even going as far to say that it's destiny.
They do that every year. It's nothing new.

Based off of watching them play this season, if the Lakers don't win a championship the only people who will be truly surprised will be Lakers fans.

*disclaimer: I actually am a Lakers fan - my 2nd team behind SA, but listening to most Lakers fans almost make me hate the team on principle.

Venti Quattro
02-26-2011, 10:16 AM
They do that every year. It's nothing new.

Based off of watching them play this season, if the Lakers don't win a championship the only people who will be truly surprised will be Lakers fans.

*disclaimer: I actually am a Lakers fan - my 2nd team behind SA, but listening to most Lakers fans almost make me hate the team on principle.

You complicate your life too much.

easy7
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
If it is based on fan's expectations then it already happened. I know of a team that was supposed to be the first to win the Super Bowl in their own stadium this year and did not even make the playoffs... Now, this Laker's payer core has played the most games of any team and everyone is playing them at 110% so I don't think it will be a choke job based on reality if they don't make it. If based on fan's expectations then it is a choke job every year they did not win it. Just saying... :hat

Giuseppe
02-26-2011, 10:22 AM
*disclaimer: I actually am a Lakers fan - my 2nd team behind SA

That's so you can never lose completely. Ya fuck, you.

Yer a cross between DoK & this Venti motherf'er.

TampaDude
02-26-2011, 10:41 AM
2006 Pistons was a pretty big choke job.

2006 Mavs was an even bigger one.
2007 Mavs was bigger still.

:lol

Giuseppe
02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Is The Skunker a choke job, or, just The Skunker?

Bito Corleone
02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
That's so you can never lose completely. Ya fuck, you.

Yer a cross between DoK & this Venti motherf'er.
It was more a product of my environment. I grew up in San Antonio, and spent all of my summers in LA. Basically I root for my two home teams. And yes, I rarely lose, which is nice. 2006 really pissed me off though...one time since 1999 one of my two favorite teams wasn't in the Finals.

Frenzy
02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Lot of laker fans confident on the lakers coasting and favored to win the ring. Yet when midnight ask if it will be a huge choke job oh no no laker fan will touch it...much less agree :lol

Lakers fans showing true colors. Scared :cry

Venti Quattro
02-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Your so smart online

Frenzy
02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Omg your so funny

Rummpd
02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
how is it going to be a choke team when the top seed wins the West by at least a handful of games over the over-rated, old, non-cohesive Lakers? Not a choke when LAL loses but reality they are an over-hyped team with no depth.

Veterinarian
02-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Another Rummpd classic...

Venti Quattro
02-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Another Rummpd classic...

The Good Doctor with the goods.

Zelophehad
02-26-2011, 02:25 PM

21_Dickings would be hugely pro Lakers though.

Jt.ONE
02-26-2011, 02:33 PM
if spurs lock #1 seed with HCA

and get eliminated 1st round, will it be the biggest chokejob?

honest question, no trolling, tbh, fwiw

BoricuaCJA
02-26-2011, 03:50 PM

The Mavs in 2007 would be a bigger chokejob but if we do it this year, I would say its a big chokejob.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2011, 03:52 PM

:wow fuck, that was so lame..

rickross
02-26-2011, 04:00 PM

'nigga wit all da respekt but its shokin how such blatant shyte works. God bless show a lil compassion son.:lol

rickross
02-26-2011, 04:00 PM

actually if da spurs get portland dat shit wont be easy at all.

xellos88330
02-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Is The Skunker a choke job, or, just The Skunker?

I think it is just the Skunker.

Spurs didn't seem to even have a chance that series. :depressed

Medvedenko
02-26-2011, 04:31 PM
:wow fuck, that was so lame..

Brother, I'd thought you'd like that... ;)

jmill
02-26-2011, 06:46 PM
in NBA history?

Actually if anything this year is a freeroll of sorts. The Lakers already won the last two championships, including a game 7 victory in the finals over their most hated rival. If they win this year that would be awesome, if not good for whoever does, not the end of the world.

Given the tone of your post it seems like it's going to bother you a lot more if the Lakers win this year than it will bother Laker fans if they lose. Life is good over here though.

Ashy Larry
02-26-2011, 10:35 PM
chokejob ? no. especially since they stayed primarily the same team after winning a title by four points. practically every other team got better and stay healthy.

failure? yes. anything less than a championship unless it's a rebuilding year in my eyes is a failed season.

LkrFan
02-26-2011, 11:31 PM
chokejob ? no. especially since they stayed primarily the same team after winning a title by four points. practically every other team got better and stay healthy.

failure? yes. anything less than a championship unless it's a rebuilding year in my eyes is a failed season.
Pretty much. Although I would be shocked if LA didn't do it again this year. Absolutely shocked.

Killakobe81
02-27-2011, 01:19 AM
No it wouldnt Many chose Celts as favorites, others chose Miami, and some Chose the Lakers ...None would be considered chokers if they lost but Miami will get the most "heat" (no pun) but I did not think they could win as constituted ...but they look pretty good so far this regular season.