PDA

View Full Version : Wow Dr. Dre

Sense
02-26-2011, 06:15 PM
I saw the video for his new single the other day.. I'm assuming that's his single.. "I need a doctor".

Eminem set it up decent... but Dr. Dre's verse is just plain shit.

Wtf happened?

don't know if there was another thread.. if there was oh well

baseline bum
02-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Dre has never been much on the mic. I can only think of one song he ever killed on: his two verses on 100 Miles & Runnin back in his NWA days were outstanding.

VmNgiNpcRVc

Still, Snoop was the star of The Chronic and Deep Cover. Cube, Ren, and Eazy were were much stronger MCs in NWA.

Sense
02-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree.. he was never a lyricist.. but jesus.. everyone has been waiting for his album for what? 10 years?

And this is the best he could come up with?

I could've written a better verse.. that was just pathetic

ohmwrecker
02-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Rappers have a short shelf life. They are only really good when they are coming up and struggling. Once they get the money, they get lazy and they don't have anything interesting to say anymore. There are a few exceptions, but it's a young man's game. It's also a very limited art form.

Cheese
02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
as a west coast hip hop fan,and hip hop fan in general,i can honestly say the latest things ive heard fron dre,im not feeling..."i need a doctor" is horrible.some dreary type shit.

he IMO should stick to his old formulas and he can still create masterpieces.the "new" music in general,is crap,and he shouldn't let it influence him so much.

Sense
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
As a producer he can still get hits.... but jesus... Tyler the Creator makes him look like a little bitch... and Tyler's like what? 19 years old? 20?

IronMexican
02-26-2011, 08:04 PM
http://punchbowlblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/uhmvj.jpg

IronMexican
02-26-2011, 08:04 PM
bitch, he said.

sribb43
02-26-2011, 08:40 PM
On a Dre track....Em has 2 verses and Dre has 1. nuff said

Dre's verse doesnt even fit with Em's verses.

Hooks
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Dude got destroyed on that diss track "real motherfucking G's" by Eazy E and BG knocc out, and Dresta, one of the best diss songs ever.

Sense
02-27-2011, 03:22 AM
On a Dre track....Em has 2 verses and Dre has 1. nuff said

Dre's verse doesnt even fit with Em's verses.

I wouldn't even call Dre's verse a verse..

maybe .5 of a verse?

baseline bum
02-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Dude got destroyed on that diss track "real motherfucking G's" by Eazy E and BG knocc out, and Dresta, one of the best diss songs ever.

Great song, but I'll still take Snoop's verses on Fuck With Dre Day. Neither of them is No Vaseline though.

baseline bum
02-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Back before Benzino destroyed it, I remember reading an interview in The Source where Dre admitted he was a terrible rapper and all he wanted to do was lay down beats for Snoop, Kurupt, Daz, and Nate Dogg for the rest of his career. And then that piece of shit criminal Suge Knight stepped in and forced him out of Death Row, and neither Dre nor Snoop has done anything great since. Snoop's had a few jams since Doggystyle, but not the classic shit like G-Thang, 187um, Gin N Juice, or Lodi Dodi.

monosylab1k
02-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Dre never writes his own verses, he always used a ghostwriter (how do yall not know this?). Ice Cube wrote all his NWA verses, Snoop/Daz/Kurupt for The Chronic, and Eminem/Royce da 5'9 for 2001. I dont know who ghostwrites for him now.

baseline bum
02-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Doesn't matter who ghostwrites for him with that shitty delivery.

Frenzy
02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
I thought it was good I guess that means I'm not an old school dre lover.

On a side note ..jeeze dre got stacked. Muscle on muscle.

Stringer_Bell
02-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Odd Future is making the best beats right now, but I gotta give credit to Dre's ability to withstand the hype behind him. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the delivery on the track, I think it's supposed to be like that - like the concept of him not being exactly the same rapper that he was before. The music sounds like anyone could make it, part of the problem with the last record too, but it's not bad.

Andrew Cunanan
02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
so what...Dre's done enough for rap for 25 years to warrant a few bad tracks. W/o him west-coast hip-hop would never be

crc21209
02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Dre just took too damn long to finally put out some new material....

baseline bum
02-27-2011, 04:26 PM
so what...Dre's done enough for rap for 25 years to warrant a few bad tracks. W/o him west-coast hip-hop would never be

While Dre has done tons of amazing work, you're going way too far there. You can't discount Ice-T, who was the first (and still best IMO) hardcore rapper on the West Coast. Too Short has been doing nasty sex rhymes since 82 and his first big hit (Dope Fiend Beat) preceded NWA's first (Boys in the Hood). Cube was also putting out albums before joining forces with Dre (though they sounded like the Beastie Boys, lol).

Sense
02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
IDK about this oldschool shit.. but fucking Odd Future is the real deal... it amazes me how young these guys are

Creepn
02-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I miss those 90's rap days. Remember when Dre and Snoop be riding the corner on three wheels with all the hos in the back seat. Hot Boyz running around the block and jumping fences. Tupac, need I say more? Now everybody talking about love shit. Snoop singing with Big Time Rush from nicolodeon!?

baseline bum
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Tough call between 80s vs 90s hip-hop

80s:
Straight Outta Compton, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Criminal Minded, Power, Rhyme Pays, Born to Mack, Life is Too Short, The Cactus Album, 3 Feet High and Rising, Run DMC, Tougher than Leather, The Message, Paid in Full, and Yo! Bum Rush the Show, Licensed to Ill, Strictly Business, and Newcleus for putting out the two greatest singles that hardly anyone knows (Jam On It and Jam On Revenge)

vs.

90s:
Illmatic, Chronic, Enter the Wu-Tang, OG Original Gangster, Death Certificate, Breaking Atoms, Cypress Hill, Ready to Die, We Can't Be Stopped, Doggystyle, Bow Down, Me Against the World, Low End Theory, Southernplayalistic, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, ATLiens, Slaughtahouse, Makaveli, Enta Da Stage, Let's Get Free

Dr. Gonzo
02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
You forgot to mention M.C. Brains - Lovers Lane in your 90's list.

Creepn
02-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I know you're not a Bone Thugs fan but you can't exclude CreepnONAHcomeup and Eternal 99. You just can't.

resistanze
02-28-2011, 12:07 AM
90s:
Illmatic, Chronic, Enter the Wu-Tang, OG Original Gangster, Death Certificate, Breaking Atoms, Cypress Hill, Ready to Die, We Can't Be Stopped, Doggystyle, Bow Down, Me Against the World, Low End Theory, Southernplayalistic, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, ATLiens, Slaughtahouse, Makaveli, Enta Da Stage, Let's Get FreeAdd:

The Infamous, Hell on Earth, Soul on Ice, OB4CL, Ironman, The Score, Sittin' on Chrome, Black on Both Sides, Hard to Earn, Moment of Truth, Daily Operation, Life After Death

And I think the 90s got it.

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 03:24 AM
Damn, how did I forget Soul on Ice and The Infamous?

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 03:25 AM
I also forgot Eazy Duz It, which negates all your additions, res. :lol

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Spice1's debut probably belongs in the 90s list too. Damn, I also forgot Ridin Dirty. I'm lucky timvp is busy with his kids as he'd normally crucify me for forgetting Ras Kass and UGK.

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Critical Beatdown needs to be at the top of the 80s list, but the 90s can counter with
Dr. Octagon.

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Return of the Boom Bap should be in the 90s list too. Nevertheless, the 80s are extremely top-heavy with Pain in Full, Straight Outta Compton, Eazy Duz It, Power, Critical Beatdown, Yo! Bum Rush the Show, It Takes a Nation of Millions, and Criminal Minded.

CuckingFunt
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I think the moral of the story is that both the 80s and 90s curbstomp the aughts.

resistanze
02-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Critical Beatdown needs to be at the top of the 80s list, but the 90s can counter with
Dr. Octagon.

lol @ me forgetting Dr. Octagon.

Nick Manning
02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
While Dre has done tons of amazing work, you're going way too far there. You can't discount Ice-T, who was the first (and still best IMO) hardcore rapper on the West Coast. Too Short has been doing nasty sex rhymes since 82 and his first big hit (Dope Fiend Beat) preceded NWA's first (Boys in the Hood). Cube was also putting out albums before joining forces with Dre (though they sounded like the Beastie Boys, lol).

I don't think he went too far there, tbh. All those guys you mentioned were great and had a big influence on Dre, but he put West Coast rap on the map. The Chronic transcended everything, and brought gangster rap into white living rooms.

Dr. Dre may not be the best, or your favorite, but he's unquestionably the most pivotal figure in the popularity of West Coast rap (hell, most rap in general).