PDA

View Full Version : dare to look ahead at playoff match-ups...

K-State Spur
02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
nothing is settled yet, but the finish line is within sight. while the spurs shouldn't panic whoever the opponent is, gotta like how things are laying out for them right now. Memphis/Portland/Denver/Utah/PHX all have a shot to finish anywhere from 6-8. If the playoffs started today, it would go Den - Por - Mem. But I expect it to finish as Por - Mem - Den. Assuming that for the purposes of this hypothetical looking at the first 2 rounds:

first round:

1) Spurs vs. Denver - Denver has started well post trade, but minus Billups and Melo, I don't think they are a serious threat to any of the contenders. Karl always has his playoffs teams going all-out and while I don't think Popovich would enjoy this matchup, I can't see the new-look Nugs pushing a potential series past 5.

2) Dallas vs. Memphis - I don't think anybody (including San Antonio, Dallas, or LA) would look forward to the Grizz in the postseason. Memphis has the size to beat up the Mavs inside and plenty of long defenders to run at Dirk. Memphis has won 2 of the 3 season match-ups thus far. Dallas wins this series...but not easily.

3) LA vs. Portland - LA has won the 2 season match-ups, but the Rose Garden has been a house of horrors for them in recent memory. A healthy Roy would make Portland not only a threat to push the series, but to win it. That said, LA likely wins the series, but not easily.

4) OKC vs. NO - This would be an all-out war. Let them beat each other up prior to round 2.

Round 2:

Spurs vs OKC - OKC has to fight through a likely long series, Spurs will have fought through what is likely an easier series. A lot of analysts want to peg OKC as a contender now, but I don't think they match-up well with the Spurs. The Spurs have handled them twice and still won a third game despite leaving their rebounding on the rodeo trip. Perkins makes them tougher inside, but their biggest weakness against San Antonio has been that the Spurs have forced them into long jumpshots - and Perkins doesn't help them there. Their next biggest weakness against the Spurs has been perimeter defense (Spurs have hit 29 3s and shot 50% from long range in 3 games) - another area that Perkins doesn't fix. After the first round, no playoff matchups are going to be easy and everybody is a threat - just the same, this is probably one of the teams that the Spurs would rather see this early.

Mavs vs. Lakers - Beat each other up, here's hoping for 7 triple OT games prior to the WCF.

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 08:42 AM
lakers tough matchups in playoffs....portland, dallas

i think the fakers will easily beat the mavs....

Cessation
02-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Perkins is out with injury, for 2 weeks, no way okc can gel in time for the playoffs, to take out the best team in the nba. Especially after losing two of their starters, in green and kristic, who spaced the floor for their only 2 scorers.

lol okc contenders

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 08:51 AM
As amazing as this may be, the Mavs and Fakers have not met in a playoff series since 1988.

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 08:53 AM
As amazing as this may be, the Mavs and Fakers have not met in a playoff series since 1988.

should be an interesting series, but i got the fakers in 6

Budkin
02-28-2011, 08:53 AM

That was an awesome series too from what I've read about it. I think it went 7 games.

boutons_deux
02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
pointless, for seeds 5-8, there are 6 teams with 26 to 28 Ls.

Seeds 1-4 are pretty much determined.

41times
02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
nothing is settled yet, but the finish line is within sight. while the spurs shouldn't panic whoever the opponent is, gotta like how things are laying out for them right now. Memphis/Portland/Denver/Utah/PHX all have a shot to finish anywhere from 6-8. If the playoffs started today, it would go Den - Por - Mem. But I expect it to finish as Por - Mem - Den. Assuming that for the purposes of this hypothetical looking at the first 2 rounds:

first round:

1) Spurs vs. Denver - Denver has started well post trade, but minus Billups and Melo, I don't think they are a serious threat to any of the contenders. Karl always has his playoffs teams going all-out and while I don't think Popovich would enjoy this matchup, I can't see the new-look Nugs pushing a potential series past 5.

2) Dallas vs. Memphis - I don't think anybody (including San Antonio, Dallas, or LA) would look forward to the Grizz in the postseason. Memphis has the size to beat up the Mavs inside and plenty of long defenders to run at Dirk. Memphis has won 2 of the 3 season match-ups thus far. Dallas wins this series...but not easily.

3) LA vs. Portland - LA has won the 2 season match-ups, but the Rose Garden has been a house of horrors for them in recent memory. A healthy Roy would make Portland not only a threat to push the series, but to win it. That said, LA likely wins the series, but not easily.

4) OKC vs. NO - This would be an all-out war. Let them beat each other up prior to round 2.

Round 2:

Spurs vs OKC - OKC has to fight through a likely long series, Spurs will have fought through what is likely an easier series. A lot of analysts want to peg OKC as a contender now, but I don't think they match-up well with the Spurs. The Spurs have handled them twice and still won a third game despite leaving their rebounding on the rodeo trip. Perkins makes them tougher inside, but their biggest weakness against San Antonio has been that the Spurs have forced them into long jumpshots - and Perkins doesn't help them there. Their next biggest weakness against the Spurs has been perimeter defense (Spurs have hit 29 3s and shot 50% from long range in 3 games) - another area that Perkins doesn't fix. After the first round, no playoff matchups are going to be easy and everybody is a threat - just the same, this is probably one of the teams that the Spurs would rather see this early.

Mavs vs. Lakers - Beat each other up, here's hoping for 7 triple OT games prior to the WCF.

I don't know if you have all 8 exactly correct but i think you are right on about the 2nd Round 4 teams.

Spurs vs. OKC should be a good one. Westbrook is an up and coming PG and Durant is fantastic. Spurs will have their hands full but should take that series in 6 or 7.

Mavs vs. Lakers is gonna be very entertaining. With the Addition of Chandler this year and Peja mid season the Mavs have tons of weapons and can put out a long/tall lineup to match the Lakers. Flip a coin on this one. Circle March 12 on your calendar. Lakers @ Dallas that night. You will get a playoff glimpse.

I am hoping for yet another Mavs vs. Spurs playoff series in the WCF. That is my favorite match up in the entire NBA.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't think the Mavs get past the Lakers.

Old School 44
02-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Although last year they gave the Lakers a good run, I don't think OKC will beat the Hornets. I'm really not sold on Russell Westbrook leading them yet, particularly in crunch time. (maybe later, with more experience)

I actually think the Spurs would rather see OKC vs. NO. I think we'll beat NO, but it will be tougher than most people think. Chris Paul and David West play particularly well against us.

K-State Spur
02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't know if you have all 8 exactly correct but i think you are right on about the 2nd Round 4 teams.

Spurs vs. OKC should be a good one. Westbrook is an up and coming PG and Durant is fantastic. Spurs will have their hands full but should take that series in 6 or 7.

Mavs vs. Lakers is gonna be very entertaining. With the Addition of Chandler this year and Peja mid season the Mavs have tons of weapons and can put out a long/tall lineup to match the Lakers. Flip a coin on this one. Circle March 12 on your calendar. Lakers @ Dallas that night. You will get a playoff glimpse.

I am hoping for yet another Mavs vs. Spurs playoff series in the WCF. That is my favorite match up in the entire NBA.

On paper, I actually like the Mavs in that series. But I think they need contributions from the role players, and there is really no way to know what you are going to get out of Roddy (youth, injury recovery), Marion (poor postseason track-record), or Peja (age + poor postseason track record).

Now, I can say the same thing about the Spurs with Neal & Bonner as unproven playoff performers - but I think they can get past the second round (but not to the finals) without huge contributions from those guys.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
That was an awesome series too from what I've read about it. I think it went 7 games.

It absolutely was a dynamite series. As powerful and talented as those Showtime-era Fakers were, the Mavs actually matched up pretty well with them. IRRC, the Mavs were inexperienced and the Fakers did seem to be a bit overconfident at times, during that series.

A lot of credit to the Mavs, who were facing certain elimination, but gutted out a very difficult Game 6 on their home floor, thereby forcing the epic Game 7 in LA.

It was indeed a very good, and hard-fought series. Fakers went on to win the NBA championship that year and capture their back-to-back championship.

Nick Manning
02-28-2011, 11:07 AM
This year's playoffs are going to be some of the best in years.

WC 1st Round:

1) Spurs over 8) Suns in 5
2) Lakers over 7) Nuggets in 4
3) Mavericks over 6) Blazers in 6
4) Thunder over 5) Hornets in 7

WCSF:

1) Spurs over 4) Thunder in 6
2) Lakers over 3) Mavericks in 6

WCF:

2) Lakers over 1) Spurs in 6

EC 1st Round:

1) Celtics over 8) Pacers in 4
2) Bulls over 7) Sixers in 5
3) Heat over 6) Knicks in 7 :depressed
4) Magic over 5) Hawks in 6

ECSF:

1) Celtics over 4) Magic in 5
3) Heat over 2) Bulls in 7

ECF:

1) Celtics over 3) Heat in 5

NBA Championship:

too close to call, but I'll take whomever has HCA

biskvito
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Right now Denver is a mess at the PG. I'm not sure they'll figure out in time.

urunobili
02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Mavs and Spurs WCF

Warlord23
02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Denver would be ideal, since they are a lucky charm for the Spurs - the last 2 times we met the Nuggets in the 1st round was 2007 and 2005 - both Spur title years. Also would help to avoid Memphis and Portland who are much better defensive teams with size.

K-State Spur
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM

WC 1st Round:

WCSF:

WCF:

EC 1st Round:

1) Celtics over 8) Pacers in 4
2) Bulls over 7) Sixers in 5
3) Heat over 6) Knicks in 7 :depressed
4) Magic over 5) Hawks in 6

ECSF:

1) Celtics over 4) Magic in 5
3) Heat over 2) Bulls in 7

ECF:

1) Celtics over 3) Heat in 5

NBA Championship:

too close to call, but I'll take whomever has HCA

i don't see memphis missing the playoffs. denver might after this initial "fuck it, we'll win without melo" high cools off.

Brazil
02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
So if there is a lakers / mavs serie, who guys will root for ?

I'll be on mavs side... FTL

TD21-FTW
02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
No one can stop us.:lobt2:

kaji157
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Houston also could get the 8th seed. I think that would be our best matchup.
Their defense on the perimeter is really poor and inside they lack size.

lefty
02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
1 thing for sure

When reaching the WCF, the Lakers will be banged up

Good good

Buahahahahahahaha

hater
02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
I'll take the suns thank you

Andrew Cunanan
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
The scary thing is that as embarrassing as the Lakers have looked, they only have to go 15-6 the rest of the way to match last year's record. I can easily see those fucks flipping the switch and going 2000-2001 on everybody.

boutons_deux
02-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Mavs and Spurs WCF

1st seed Spurs play 8th seed.

4th seed Mavs play 5th seed.

Spurs vs Mavs, in same bracket, play in 2nd round, not WCF

LongtimeSpursFan
02-28-2011, 01:26 PM

WC 1st Round:

WCSF:

WCF:

I agree with matchup results through WCF. However I dont think the Lakers have enough firepower to outscore the Spurs. Both teams seem to have capable defenses but points seem to come much easier for Spurs than Lakers. Lakers just seem to lack the ability score easy points.

Warlord23
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Mavs will be either the 2nd or 3rd seed. The old rule of division winners getting the top 3 seeds was changed a few years back. Division winners are guaranteed a top 4 seed, not top 3. Mavs currently are at #2 and will play LA in the 2nd round. Spurs (if they get there) will meet either Dallas or LA in the WCF

Cry Havoc
02-28-2011, 01:43 PM

wat

Have you not been paying attention to the NBA for the past 3 years, or what?

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 01:46 PM
wat

Have you not been paying attention to the NBA for the past 3 years, or what?

The VRWC changed the playoff format on him.

Kool Bob Love
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM

Lakers side. I want to see the Spurs send these LAmes out crying. word to 2003.:ihit

I would want lakers vs Mavs to go to to game 7 triple over time.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
i don't see memphis missing the playoffs. denver might after this initial "fuck it, we'll win without melo" high cools off.

I dunno about Memphis. Their schedule down the stretch is pretty rough.

Agree on Denver though.

TampaDude
02-28-2011, 01:51 PM
So if there is a lakers / mavs series, who guys will root for ?

+1 I'd have to go with the Mavs on that one, too. Dirk is baller.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Rooting for the mavs, but tbh I see the lakers winning that series.

John Basedow
02-28-2011, 01:59 PM
crofl spurfans praying that Dallas does their dirty work for them. them LA niggas gonna curbstomp you and send timmy into early retirement.
No self-respecting, knowledgeable NBA fan would bet on the Mavs beating the Lakers in the playoffs (or the Spurs beating the Lakers).

K-State Spur
02-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Fatigue.

In all honesty, I don't care which one the Spurs play - there are advantages and disadvantages to either potential match-up.

Spurs are owed a good long prior series by both these teams:

'08 Lakers took advantage of an exhausted Spurs team. Spurs had to play less than 48 hours after game 7 in NO (with events on the tar mac well documented) and had a great opportunity to steal Game 1 before running out of gas.

'06 Despite being #1 seed, Spurs had a tough 6 game series against a red-hot (best record in the 2nd half) Sacramento that was a match-up nightmare, while Dallas enjoyed a relatively easy series agains the the Grizz.

Cry Havoc
02-28-2011, 04:10 PM
crofl spurfans praying that Dallas does their dirty work for them. them LA niggas gonna curbstomp you and send timmy into early retirement.
No self-respecting, knowledgeable NBA fan would bet on the Mavs beating the Lakers in the playoffs (or the Spurs beating the Lakers).

Better than needing injuries like the Lakeshow did last year. :lol

Agloco
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM

How do you figure that the Mavs will be the 4 seed?

Spurs and Mavs fan
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I so, so, badly want to see a Spurs - Suns matchup in the first round. But there are so many hurdles that have to be overcome for that to happen. Phoenix needs to get its act together so that we can beat them down again.

Spurs and Mavs fan
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Unless something unusual happens, I foresee the Mavs and Lakers sticking with the 2# and 3 seeds....don't see either of them falling to 4#.

I think a Mavs-Lakers matchup in the WCSF is almost definitely happening.....I'd give it 70% likelihood.