PDA

View Full Version : Amare and JJ and a congratulations from me

AZLouis
06-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Congratulations on the series win. It was really a great series by the Spurs.
Good luck in the Finals. If you play the Pistons I am rooting for you. However, my hatred for Kobe will have me rooting for Flash and Shaq if they are your opponent.

I know you guys hate Amare, but know matter what you say, you really can't deny how great he is and how he has completely dominated one of the best defensive teams in the league this year.

JJ is a great player and unfortunately missed some time in this series. Most of you probably didn't know who he was but now you know why his presence was sorely needed.

Again good luck and congrats. :depressed

Brutalis
06-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Nice.

Amare has the players to make him look that good. I'm sure most fans are just aware of things as you are, it's about being realistic.

See ya next year.

Mr. Body
06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Amare is astoundingly talented. He's just a beast. I wondered when he won the ROY, but now it's clear how smart everyone was who voted for him. However, he needs to learn that defense is more, much much more, than blocking shots.

Joe Johnson was a hoss this series, or at least the games he played. He's a real baller. It's too bad they don't have to resign Q this offseason instead of him. Richardson may be overpaid. But JJ, absolutely not.

milkyway21
06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
we don't hate the Suns..actually we have them picked as our opponent before their Mavs series was over.

nice game tonight. another classic game just like in the regular season, huh?

that Amare of yours never gave up even in the last minutes of the game.......what a....:D!

JMarkJohns
06-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah, what Louis said. This site really is a great mix of fans and it's been real fun for this series.

The Spurs are a great team and had the luxery of knowing what it takes. Two time champs...Here's to three-time champs.

Hope to see ya next year, with a healthy JJ and possibly a Sean May for depth.

Thanks to all...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Amare is on route to becoming a Hall of Fame player, mark my words!

SirChaz
06-01-2005, 10:54 PM
The Suns grew up a lot in this playoffs and this series in particular.

The Spurs completely schooled them and demonstrated playoff basketball.

milkyway21
06-01-2005, 10:58 PM
after the suns' experience of this WC finals series, now I'm a bit afraid of the Suns to meet the Spurs again next season's playoffs....

see yah!

Catharsis
06-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Nice.

Amare has the players to make him look that good. I'm sure most fans are just aware of things as you are, it's about being realistic.

See ya next year.
Hehe, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'm sure Duncan was focusing on the other players just letting Amare score 42, grab 16 boards and collect 4 blocks..

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Hehe, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'm sure Duncan was focusing on the other players just letting Amare score 42, grab 16 boards and collect 4 blocks..

Dammit! You figured it out! :)

ShoogarBear
06-01-2005, 11:01 PM
I suspect D'Antoni may try to instill a little more of a consistent defensive presence to the Suns next year. If he does, the only thing holding PHX back next year will be if Q is still jacking them up with impunity.

Sense
06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Congratulations on the series win. It was really a great series by the Spurs.
Good luck in the Finals. If you play the Pistons I am rooting for you. However, my hatred for Kobe will have me rooting for Flash and Shaq if they are your opponent.

I know you guys hate Amare, but know matter what you say, you really can't deny how great he is and how he has completely dominated one of the best defensive teams in the league this year.

JJ is a great player and unfortunately missed some time in this series. Most of you probably didn't know who he was but now you know why his presence was sorely needed.

Again good luck and congrats. :depressed

You are taking advantage of happy hour for us..

I don't think Amare dominated the spurs because we raped them except for 1 game...counting the season...and no that home game u had don't count..

Spurs accepted him dominating because in the end we were the better team..

Anyways...Good Luck Fishing..

Brutalis
06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
I dont mean to take anything away from Amare, he is a good player by all means.

But take away the other big 3 and what do you have? Most of all his scores are from a pass, walk, bucket. Over and over. Anyways.

Besides, Duncan hasn't had a 2nd scorer long before this season and he did just find dont you agree?

Supergirl
06-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Suns have some decisions to make this offseason that will determine if they will continue to be a force. IMO, Q is a big waste of money and space, and if they let Joe Johnson go to keep him, they will backslide.

Amare and Nash will have another couple good years in them, but Nash is 30 and he'll peak in another 2 years or so. They need to sign some quality veteran role players who aren't after big money.

How good they become depends on their management, at this point. Also, D'Antoni will have to learn how to coach some D or hire an assistant to help him with that, or they'll never get farther than they did.

But all this is possible, and they could be scarier next year.

AZLouis
06-01-2005, 11:08 PM
You are taking advantage of happy hour for us..

I don't think Amare dominated the spurs because we raped them except for 1 game...counting the season...and no that home game u had don't count..

Spurs accepted him dominating because in the end we were the better team..

Anyways...Good Luck Fishing..

Yes Amare dominated the Spurs.
Yes the Spurs are a better team. Plain and simple.
Amare's lowest ppg in this series was 31. He averaged 41 ppg this season against the Spurs. One of the best defensive teams in the NBA. He dominates them. The Spurs get the win which is most important. But he dominates them.

Again congrats Spurs. Good luck.

BillsCarnage
06-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Suns have some decisions to make this offseason that will determine if they will continue to be a force. IMO, Q is a big waste of money and space, and if they let Joe Johnson go to keep him, they will backslide.

Amare and Nash will have another couple good years in them, but Nash is 30 and he'll peak in another 2 years or so. They need to sign some quality veteran role players who aren't after big money.

How good they become depends on their management, at this point. Also, D'Antoni will have to learn how to coach some D or hire an assistant to help him with that, or they'll never get farther than they did.

But all this is possible, and they could be scarier next year.

JoJo isn't going anywhere unless a team wants t sign him to the max and that probably won't happen. They'll bring in a big man(I'm hoping for Jerome James) and probably move everyone to their natural spot.

samikeyp
06-01-2005, 11:24 PM
They'll bring in a big man(I'm hoping for Jerome James) and probably move everyone to their natural spot.

Figures a troll like you would want a mental midget and all around a-hole like James to come in and screw up the chemistry of a 60 win team.

JMarkJohns
06-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't want James...give me a beast like Sean May in the draft and resign Hunter. That's all. Improvement of a young team is what will carry the Suns to a Title, not added players.

Resign JJ and Hunter and draft May, then deveop Barbosa as a wing and JJ as the backup PG and by the playoffs, the Suns will be deep and formiddable.

Injury and a lack of depth to make up for injury hurt this team more than even inexperience, but with the experience gained and added depth, that shouldn't be a problem (or as big as one) next year.

IX_Equilibrium
06-01-2005, 11:32 PM

I don't hate Amare. I think he is awesome.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

xcoriate
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Not Jerome James! For your style of play that would be the worst possible signing. I'd go after Dalambert at least one of your swingmen is disposable its up to you guys to decide which.

Actually Steven Hunter might have something yet he seemer all right to me.

thispego
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Amare dominated because the Spurs let him dominate. They knew they could let him go off as long as they shut down everyone else. Nash, the mvp, will get his. but focus on shutting down the team offense. Spurs only gave Amare confidence, false confidence that is. Amare NEEDS a player like Nash alongside him to look good.

2centsworth
06-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Suns are my second favorite team. I love Amare and Nash.

At least you will always have an excuse AZ.

baseline bum
06-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Phoenix has to pay dues to get to the promised land, just as the Spurs, Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Celtics, Sixers, and everyone else had to to win their titles. There's no reason to worry too much about losing this series for Suns fans.

The Spurs had a very similar series in 2002 with the Lakers where Tim Duncan outplayed Shaq in every facet of the game, but the team wasn't at the level of their opposition. 3 of those 4 losses were heartbreakers that the Spurs were in control of in the 4th quarter, but Parker was still new to the playoffs and the team wasn't very deep (not to mention Robinson being out the first 2 games and being a shell of himself the final 3 due to injury). It's definitely something to build on, especially considering just how young Stoudemire is. To me he looks like the kind of player who will be mentioned with guys like Shaq, Duncan, Olajuwon, Robinson, Barkley, Warm Karl, Moses Malone, etc. when it's all said and done. He's an amazing talent, and he just outplayed a first ballot hall of famer whose in his prime in only his second playoff run. Joe Johnson is just making a name for himself in this league, Marion is an incredible all-around player (despite his performance this series), and Nash, while being 30, still has some great years left and should age well in that style offense where he just has to run and not bang too much in the half court.

SirChaz
06-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Remember guys he is doing this out of HS.

It is not that he doesn't play defense well. I am not sure he really knows how to play good position defense at this level yet. He sure learned a lot in the past 4 games though.

How about that block on Ginobili? That was sick. I wish he could have figured out how to challenge shots starting with game 1.

baseline bum
06-02-2005, 02:03 AM
I think it's messed up how Spurs fans here are dissing Amare's game. Y'all sound just like Laker fans who wouldn't give Tim any props just because his team couldn't hang with them.

cqsallie
06-02-2005, 03:12 AM
I think it's messed up how Spurs fans here are dissing Amare's game. Y'all sound just like Laker fans who wouldn't give Tim any props just because his team couldn't hang with them.
I couldn't agree with you more! I think that a lot of it has to do with the age of these so-called fans. It seems to me that the younger the fan, the more likely to beat him/herself on the chest and howl at the moon.
For my part, being an older fan who has been around this game for years and years, I have to say that I totally admire Stoudemire's skills. As a matter of fact, he scares the hell out of me. Yes, we got out of it this time, but what about next year? Especially if Amare learns to play defense as well as he plays offense? The mind boggles!!!!
Steve Nash is a gentleman and a master of the art of Point Guard. The most stupid move the Dallas Maverick front desk ever made was to let him slip out of their grasp. I'm convinced that the Mavericks could have gone much further with Nash at the helm.
To be honest, I don't really have anything derogatory to say about any of the Suns. They are one hell of a basketball team. If there is a failing, it's the defense thing, but I'm sure they know that and this won't be a failing next season.
There's nothing worse than a rotten winner. Much is made of the sorry loser, but the braggard winner is by far the worse. So, because I'm a gracious winner (because I realize that we were damned lucky to pull off the Western Conference Championship, given the skills and desire of the Phoenix Suns), I want to thank and congratulate the Suns and their fans for a great season, for the Division championship, and for the scary series.
You guys are great! I hope you don't get better...
Much love to you all. :angel

Sense
06-02-2005, 03:41 AM
Yes Amare dominated the Spurs.
Yes the Spurs are a better team. Plain and simple.
Amare's lowest ppg in this series was 31. He averaged 41 ppg this season against the Spurs. One of the best defensive teams in the NBA. He dominates them. The Spurs get the win which is most important. But he dominates them.

Again congrats Spurs. Good luck.

Oh PLEASE... I think the Spurs if they NEEDED TO..would stop amare..but we didn't care about his points if we won..

Don't forget who your MVP is son.

Nash never dominated the Spurs and thats why they got owned..

All I gotta say is...I hope amare has a good rod.

Horry For 3!
06-02-2005, 03:49 AM
It was a great series for the Spurs. We showed that we can score with the best.

I don't care too much for Amare but yeah he is pretty good.

Joe J, I knew about him about 2 years go. He is a good player too bad he didn't get to play the whole series.

OM_fever
06-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Amare is simply a beast, nothing to add. He has moves really unusual for a guy of that size / strenght. It's sure Spurs let him opportunity to score, focusing on the other. But it's more because they couldn't really stop Amare the way they could stop the others.

However, I don't see Phoenix going far in the futur. They are full of talent but have to pass through this summer. I don't see JJ staying in Phoenix for few money. He shows to much great skill, especially comparing in that serie to Q. And if they want to resign Amare, they are obliged to let him go. Furthermore, how could they add depth when they don't have salary room? And without that depth, don't expect Amare to be more defense oriented, he will improve but still need to avoid making fouls (especially as center). They could solve that pb by bringing a real center, but first it's expensive and secondly they will slow down their rythm and so their chance to win. I don't see that team win unless having a high tempo. This problem seems unsolvable unless having some salary room or a really generous owner. Is it the case?

AZLouis
06-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Suns are my second favorite team. I love Amare and Nash.

At least you will always have an excuse AZ.

What would my excuse be 2cents? That the Spurs were better than the Suns this year? Not much of an excuse is it? It's just the truth.

SouthernFried
06-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Amare was incredible. Anyone who says Spurs "allowed" him to score, or we coulda stopped him if we wanted to, are idiots.

I really think, if Amare had a more complete, all-around coach, that focused on the total game, and not just one end of it...Amare could be the most dominant force in the league. But, D'Antonio is not the coach. Just my humble opinion.

I hope D'Antonio learned something from this series, but, what I saw in the interviews is not encouraging.

Would this have been a different series with JJ playing all 5 games? I dunno, he played 3 didn't he? Won 1, lost 2...both losses on the home court? I'm not sure it woulda made any difference if he'd played all 5 games.

I've seen D'Antonio use JJ's absence to justify the losses. As if with him, D'Antonio's coaching philosophy woulda worked. Which, I think is one of D'Antonio's "focus on offense" problems.

If you don't play good D...just losing one offensive player destroys your team. You don't have any D to stop people, and now you can't simply outscore them. Teams that play D, as well as O...always have something to go to when the other aint working.

Anyway...good series Phoenix. With Nash and Amare the potential for greatness is there. I hope you can get some other players, and D'Antonio starts thinking total game instead of just half the game. I'd hate to see Nash and Amare become another great duo like Stockton and Malone. Great players...with no championships.

SWC Bonfire
06-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Everyone is impressed by Amare. If he puts in a call this summer to one David Robinson and asks for some defensive pointers, you could see the second coming of the dominant, athletic center.

I want to give major credit to the Suns fans, they were all in their seats long after the game was decided and stayed to cheer their much improved team and MVP.

easjer
06-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Absolutely credit is due to the Suns. Well played, classy team. Great fans. Thoughtful posts from their fans over here.

Amare. Oh, Amare. Could we have stopped him? Certainly. I do believe we could have. However, not in a one on one. It would have taken too many defenders and allowed many others to score instead. So the payout wasn't worth the effort. Let him score, don't make it easy, but don't pick up all your fouls on him either, and make damn sure the rest of the team doesn' beat you. You don't have to dominate him if you make him responsible for beating you instead of allowing the entire team to beat your team. But damn, he is fun to watch!

Steve Nash is just a classy player and I love to look at him when he's all cleaned up and such.

Will they be better next year? I bet they will. But, then, so will we.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Big props to the Suns fans who visited us. In the previous series the fans that visited were by and large jackasses who seemed more intent are picking a fight rather than actually talking basketball (even the ones that weren't Mouse in disguise). Hope you guys stick around and visit during the regular season games and I imagine we'll see you again around the same time next year.

I won't get into the Amare debate, I've spoken on that one enough.

Great moments right after the game, you could see a lot of respect in every handshake and hug that was exchanged. The Suns are going to be around for time to come and if they start playing defense as well as a team of athletes of their caliber can play then this could be very interesting.