PDA

View Full Version : When do the Spurs Rest the Big 3 for the Playoffs?

Daddy
02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Manu played 36 last night, and Timmy played 32 on a tweaked ankle. I know they have received fewer mins this season but as it winds down and the playoffs looks more assured, will Pop cut back even more, resting the Big 3 for the playoffs?

If everyone stays healthy, what do you think will determine that decision? Top spot in NBA playoffs, the West, an assured 2 seed, or something else?

Hooks
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
When they secure HCA for the Finals I'm guessing. We already have HCA in the West, so once they have a big enough lead over the other teams in the Eastern conference to where they can't be caught I'm sure Pop will start resting his players.

That's why I'm always hoping that teams like BOS, or MIA lose, more losses by them=more games for the Spurs to rest their players.

If the Spurs have the best record in the NBA with at least a 5 game lead over the other teams in the NBA they can rest their players for 4 games before the playoffs start. Those last 4 games of the season=a total of 8 days before the playoffs start, which is plenty of time to rest the big 3.

Mal
02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Spurs need to gain #1 spot first. Duncan and Gino are playing less this season. Yesterday game was special, cause of injuries. Pop wanted to win, and that required Duncan and Gino playing such minutes.

Dex
02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Manu played 36 last night, and Timmy played 32 on a tweaked ankle. I know they have received fewer mins this season but as it winds down and the playoffs looks more assured, will Pop cut back even more, resting the Big 3 for the playoffs?

If everyone stays healthy, what do you think will determine that decision? Top spot in NBA playoffs, the West, an assured 2 seed, or something else?

Hard to base expectations off of last night's game. The minutes were already expected to be extended a bit with the absence of Neal and Splitter. Tony going out only made things worse, as did Tim's and Dejuan's momentary spills. Couple that with the fact that Memphis was not going to lose lying down, and you'll understand that Pop did what he could to win the game. I actually thought he was still fairly liberal in his use of Anderson, Bonner, and Quinn, but any more could've easily spelled an L.

Spurs have already afforded more rest to their stars this year by having a big cushion, and playing solid basketball through the first three quarters so that the starters can sit in the fourth. This is how rest should be earned; not by gimmicks from Pop sitting guys early or holding them out of games.

And yeah, I don't see the Spurs taking their foot of the gas in this way until they've secured HCA. Otherwise, all of these early wins would be worth no more than fool's gold.

kaji157
02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
i guess Manu minutes will be monitored in the next game against Memphis. Most likely because we all know that in a lineup of Hill-Manu-RJ-Duncan-Blair, Manu is the real PG and he will get tired earlier in the game.

These are the times when you look at pop and ask if it was so damn difficult to run some plays for RJ.

I just hope James Anderson catches fire early so Manu can rest a bit.

Would like to see an starting lineuop of Hill-Anderson-RJ-TD-Blair.

kaji157
02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Hard to base expectations off of last night's game. The minutes were already expected to be extended a bit with the absence of Neal and Splitter. Tony going out only made things worse, as did Tim's and Dejuan's momentary spills. Couple that with the fact that Memphis was not going to lose lying down, and you'll understand that Pop did what he could to win the game. I actually thought he was still fairly liberal in his use of Anderson, Bonner, and Quinn, but any more could've easily spelled an L.

Spurs have already afforded more rest to their stars this year by having a big cushion, and playing solid basketball through the first three quarters so that the starters can sit in the fourth. This is how rest should be earned; not by gimmicks from Pop sitting guys early or holding them out of games.

And yeah, I don't see the Spurs taking their foot of the gas in this way until they've secured HCA. Otherwise, all of these early wins would be worth no more than fool's gold.
not Manu

By his standars Ginobili has played more than any other year at this point, not less.

I would say TP and RJ should be the ones stepping up now, given they are playing career lows and are not 34 years old.

Da Spurs
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I don't want to have to play either the Lakers or the Mavs until the conference final. So we need the #1 seed locked down before I give em rest.

m33p0
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
they also have to enter the playoffs on a streak. if pop is ever going to rest them, it will be on the last game of the regular season against the suns... right after handing the fakers another loss.

Spurs Brazil
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Buck Harvey: Minutes for Manu: He earned the time he gets
Posted on February 27, 2011 at 11:35 pm by Buck Harvey
Shane Battier came back to Texas less than a week after being traded from Houston, and what he saw Sunday night made him feel as if he’d never left.

Manu Ginobili, driving literally from the tip, went for 35 points, eight assists and one black eye.

“Guys like that,” Battier said, “they don’t get tired.”

But this guy famously has. Spurs fans have spent most of nine years measuring every fatigued bow of the Argentine head, and this February has been the same. Has Ginobili been wearing down?

The Spurs, for once, haven’t been worried. They don’t treat him anymore as if he’s fragile, and what happened last year convinced them.

Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/27/buck-harvey-minutes-for-manu-he-earned-the-time-he-gets/

Obstructed_View
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I think they should be rested as early as possible, and then spend the last few games of the season ramping up for the playoffs so they don't enter the first round rusty.

TampaDude
02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I think they should be rested as early as possible, and then spend the last few games of the season ramping up for the playoffs so they don't enter the first round rusty.

:toast

Agloco
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Well......

Parkers already taken care of.

As for Manu and Timmy? They can rest when the seasons over, that's why their minutes have been managed so closely.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Well......

Parkers already taken care of.

As for Manu and Timmy? They can rest when the seasons over, that's why their minutes have been managed so closely.

Well, if Parker were resting last night, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. My whole reason for resting players is to minimize the chances of injury, not because they're tired from playing too many minutes.

Agloco
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, if Parker were resting last night, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. My whole reason for resting players is to minimize the chances of injury, not because they're tired from playing too many minutes.

And I was simply addressing the OPs question. How it occurred or occurs is another matter entirely.

I see your point, but I think rest and injury concerns play an equal role in determining those things no?

Obstructed_View
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
And I was simply addressing the OPs question. How it occurred or occurs is another matter entirely.

I see your point, but I think rest and injury concerns play an equal role in determining those things no?

No, not really. I'm in agreement with your point that the players' minutes have been adequately limited that they don't really require too much recuperation. If that were the only concern then you'd figure to just play out the stretch and focus more on final prep for the playoffs. Parker's injury was just a reminder that the season's fortunes can turn on a freak play.

Agloco
02-28-2011, 05:45 PM
No, not really. I'm in agreement with your point that the players' minutes have been adequately limited that they don't really require too much recuperation. If that were the only concern then you'd figure to just play out the stretch and focus more on final prep for the playoffs. Parker's injury was just a reminder that the season's fortunes can turn on a freak play.

Agree. The prevailing thought in my mind is that the Spurs will be hard pressed to rest Timmy and Manu now given Tonys situation (hence my comment). That's obviously a function of how badly they want to hold onto the one seed though (would be a good idea IMO). Injuries aren't something you can predict........at least the crystal ball that I have doesn't. :lol

Soooo.......you're left with letting the standings and remaining schedule dictate whether they'll rest or not. In my minds eye, they won't be able to. I can see Dallas easily going 22-3 (or better) to end things.

Spurs and Mavs fan
02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
The very moment the Spurs clinch the 1# seed........bench and rest the Big 3 permanently until game one of the playoffs.

Even "ensuring that they don't get rusty" isn't worth it.

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 03:46 AM
parker is now injured,

and resting

bigdog
03-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Secure home court, then play them very limited minutes. I wouldn't want them not playing at all before the playoffs.