PDA

View Full Version : What was James Franco on last night?

JudynTX
02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Ambien, weed? :lol

Everytime he came on, he looked stoned out of his mind. :D

When he and Anne Hathaway kicked off their co-hosting duties with that classic gag of inserting themselves into the year's movies, things were looking promising. Franco's comic timing killed in the Inception bit, and he and Hathaway were equally game to look as goofy as they needed to be, something every great Oscar host has needed to some degree. But immediately after came Franco's worst moment of the night, an opening monologue in which Franco seemed entirely sleepy and disengaged, walking onto the stage with his iPhone in hand and smirking off to the side in moments that weren't particularly funny. His low-key affect caused Hathaway to work all the harder to make up for, setting up a dynamic that would last for the rest of the show and feel more and more grating at every turn.

As the show proceeded it seemed that the producers already understood the disaster they were working with. Hathaway got a solo singing number, inexplicably dedicated to former host Hugh Jackman and not all that funny to boot, while Franco only showed up periodically to introduce presenters, and almost always with Hathaway by his side. Midway through the show they actually brought in pinch hitters, as eight-time host Billy Crystal took the stage to deliver a handful of jokes that were actually funny. Then he introduced a video projection of very-dead former host Bob Hope, and the desperation became too much to bear. I hope at least Hathaway or Franco was backstage somewhere and self-aware enough to realize they had been replaced by a dead man.

link (http://http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-James-Franco-s-Hosting-Ruined-The-Oscars-23388.html#)

ididnotnothat
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I think he jumped on the pineapple express on his way to the Oscars. And does Anne ever not look pale as hell?

CuckingFunt
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I thought he was hilarious, whatever it was.

JudynTX
02-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I think he jumped on the pineapple express on his way to the Oscars. And does Anne ever not look pale as hell?

:lol :lol I want some!

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
The people calling him the worst host ever are probably the same ones who thought The King's Speech deserved all those awards. He wasn't great, but they didn't exactly give him good material to work with. He probably realized what a crock of shit it all was and just half-assed it in response.

Kermit
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't know he refrained from staring at Hathaway's tits in that last dress.

mrsmaalox
02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I was at the Spurs game so I didn't start to watch until right after they finished the dead people montage. I only got a couple of glimpses of Franco and Hathaway and they just seemed like their "timing" was off---I assumed it was because the back end of the show is always "hurry up already, we're running way over......"

The only part I paid good attention to was the Best Actor/Actress parts and that was just lame. Having Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock doing that "casual, really hip" banter with the nominees was just annoying as fuck! :rolleyes

Texas_Ranger
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
He was not great but he was OK. At least he touched Anne's tits at the end. :rollin

Phillip
02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
The people calling him the worst host ever are probably the same ones who thought The King's Speech deserved all those awards. He wasn't great, but they didn't exactly give him good material to work with. He probably realized what a crock of shit it all was and just half-assed it in response.

+1

personally the "dont give a shit" approach is pretty amusing to me.

lefty
02-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Meh

James is still one of my favorite actors

And Ann...well, she is gonna be in the next Dark Knight, she is untouchable now :worthy:

The Gemini Method
02-28-2011, 01:33 PM
He was pretty high it seemed..though, I don't blame him for how drab this year's monologue seemed to be...and he rightfully should've copped a super feel on Anne's rack during the last segment...that dress was a teaser.

AmericanPsycho
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
The King's Speech did deserve those awards. It seems a movie without action, violence or sex is underrated.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I thought this years Oscars were fucking atrocious... and Franco was a big part of the reason. Not only was the dialog awful, Franco made it twice as bad. I don't give a shit if you're so fucking in love with him as an actor that he can do no wrong in your eyes like mono there, the truth of the matter is this year's Oscars were shit and Franco was one of the main reasons why.

Jacob1983
03-01-2011, 02:04 AM
People who are bitching about Franco's Oscar gig are the kind of people who want Billy Crystal and Bob Hope(he's dead) to host the Oscars every year. James Franco is a weird guy, that's common knowledge. Why does an old person or older person have to host the Oscars? What's wrong with bringing in some young blood?

ALVAREZ6
03-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Yeah....you could have changed the channel, or done something else.

LnGrrrR
03-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I'd do Anne Hathaway.

The Reckoning
03-01-2011, 04:09 AM
I'd do Anne Hathaway.

:wow

sierously dah you must be the only human beingt on the planet to do so

mrsmaalox
03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
People who are bitching about Franco's Oscar gig are the kind of people who want Billy Crystal and Bob Hope(he's dead) to host the Oscars every year. James Franco is a weird guy, that's common knowledge. Why does an old person or older person have to host the Oscars? What's wrong with bringing in some young blood?

I don't think there's a "kind of people" who are bitching, from what I've gathered there is a pretty broad spectrum of people saying it was boring. And since Franco and Hathaway were the most obvious changes it's easy to blame them, when in reality whoever thought they were a good hosting choice should be blamed.

It's not really an age thing either, more like a genre thing. A young comedian would have been a better choice, because now we know just being gorgeous and charming does not translate well into that hosting gig. Being a funny person does.

Hey, why not, say....Ricky Gervais?? :lol

JudynTX
03-01-2011, 10:58 AM

I am not bitching about the way he acted, it was funny to me. :tu

So who do you think would make good hosts?

Texas_Ranger
03-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Jim Carrey should host it. :D

703 Spurz
03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
:wow

sierously dah you must be the only human beingt on the planet to do so

Fuck no he isn't :toast

balli
03-01-2011, 11:18 AM
and yeah james franco was sooo stoned because he was in that one movie about weed that one time ooooo

Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure when Pineapple came out I saw some interview where Franco was asked if he smoked and he said he had never been into it and didn't plan to be.

I think it's safe to say a non-pothead didn't get high in the limo right before hosting the biggest awards show in entertainment. I didn't see the show, but he's just a laid back dude and like mono said, probably didn't give much of a shit.

ohmwrecker
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
He is actually in some new medieval stoner movie with Kenny Powers.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:37 AM
a stage he shouldn't have belonged on