PDA

View Full Version : When has the Oscars gotten it right?

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 11:46 AM
So how many times has the Academy fucked up on the Best Picture award? Not even getting into movies that weren't even nominated, but just among nominated movies, they screw this shit up so bad it's not even funny.

2010 - King's Speech wins, I'd argue that True Grit, Inception, and The Social Network all deserved it FAR more.

2009 - The Hurt Locker wins, it's debatable but there's a case to be made for Inglourious Basterds or A Serious Man.

2008 - Slumdog wins in an overall really shitty year for movies. I'll refrain from even mentioning a certain movie about Batman so that the cheesedicks who hate the movie because everyone else loves it will keep their fucking traps shut.

2007 - No Country For Old Men wins, not bad but There Will Be Blood definitely was the better movie.

2005 - Crash wins only because the Academy fears gay sex.

2003 - LOTR and it's 9 hour ending win over Lost In Translation, which is one of the biggest crocks of shit ever. Same with Sean Penn beating Bill Murray, a travesty of epic proportions.

2000 - Gladiator over Traffic. retarded.

and we could keep going on and on and on.

So the Academy Awards are fucking stupid. Tell Us Something We Don't Already Know Forum.

Nick Manning
02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Hurt Locker deserved it for sure, agree with the rest of your post.

TinTin
02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
I didn't know slumdog won over batman :lol That movie is so shit. North Americans are just mystified at the regular indian lifestyle

Kermit
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Shakespeare in Love is probably the most egregious. Fucking Weinstein brothers.

Opinionater
02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Since the Oscars are voted on and not an exact science who is to say they haven't gotten them right each time based on the votes? IMHO, even those in the movie business disagree and who is to say that YOU have it right? Just like the MVP vote, All-Star, GG's etc..unless they are based and facts and not opinion then there is no true right or wrong.

ALVAREZ6
02-28-2011, 12:31 PM

:lol

This is why these major award ceremonies are to be avoided. They're long, often wrong, and at the end of the day even if they make solid selections, it doesn't really matter because it's all stupid. Hollywood sucking off Hollywood.

lil'mo
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Lol movies, pretty lame to care this much, or at all.

lefty
:lol

lil'mo
Ima have to go with young Alvie on this one

CuckingFunt
02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't mind when the film that wins Best Picture is at least good enough to not feel out of place within the list of nominees. That's how I felt this year. The King's Speech wouldn't have been my choice, but I thought it was a really good film.

Not even in the same league of WTF-ness as when Chicago beat Gangs of New York and The Pianist. Or Gladiator beat not only Traffic (as pointed out in the OP), but also Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Erin Brockovich, and Chocolat.

Phillip
02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
hi mike

CuckingFunt
02-28-2011, 12:38 PM
And don't even get me started on Titanic beating LA Confidential.

lefty
02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Titanic :pctoss

Xylus
02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
1. Inception does not deserve a Best Picture award. Give me a break.

2. I question the sanity of anyone who thinks that Avatar was better than Hurt Locker.

3. There Will Be Blood got robbed. Easily one of the decade's best.

Xylus
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
But the real travesty is Forrest Gump beating out Shawshank Redemption.

IronMaxipad
02-28-2011, 01:25 PM
The King's Speech was great. You can make the case for Social Network but Inception? fuck no. True Grit? now you're just trollin

Andrew Cunanan
02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Two biggest robberies: Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan (seriously, what the fuck) and Ordinary People beating Raging Bull (imo one of the best films ever made). I'm biased, but whatever. Altogether I'm fucking sick of fru-fru british movies winning best picture, or even being nominated anymore.

The Gemini Method
02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't even watch to see who wins Best Picture anymore...to me, it's about the In Memoriam and even this year's segment got screwed up by Celine Dion being involved with it. Don't have a problem with King's Speech winning as it was a well thought out and executioned movie, but how in the hell did Kramer vs. Kramer beat out Apocalypse Now or the biggest travesty of all, Dances With Wolves beating out Goodfellas in 1990...

Andrew Cunanan
02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't even watch to see who wins Best Picture anymore...to me, it's about the In Memoriam and even this year's segment got screwed up by Celine Dion being involved with it. Don't have a problem with King's Speech winning as it was a well thought out and executioned movie, but how in the hell did Kramer vs. Kramer beat out Apocalypse Now or the biggest travesty of all, Dances With Wolves beating out Goodfellas in 1990...

+1 on Apocalypse Now. I don't have as much a problem with Dances With Wolves because it was an excellent movie. I would've preferred Goodfellas too, but it wasn't an egregious misstep on the academy's part imo

Andrew Cunanan
02-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Titanic over Fargo pissed me off

The Gemini Method
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
+1 on Apocalypse Now. I don't have as much a problem with Dances With Wolves because it was an excellent movie. I would've preferred Goodfellas too, but it wasn't an egregious misstep on the academy's part imo

I would've been biased because Goodfellas is one of my all-time favorites. I mean, Dances With Wolves was a great movie, I just didn't think it deserved to win it over Goodfellas. But, that's probably why we have these debates since there can never really be a consensus over what movie is the best of them all. I mean, Biutiful was an excellent movie and most people didn't see that one.

Fargo definitely could've won it that year as well...

The Gemini Method
02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Titanic over Fargo pissed me off

You mean The English Patient? Titanic won it the next year going against L.A. Confidential and Good Will Hunting

redzero
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Also, Se7en should have won in 95 (it wasn't even nominated), Pulp Fiction in 94, Goodfellas in 90. Basically, Scorcese's movies should have won multiple times.

I agree with There Will Be Blood being a superior movie to No Country For Old Men.

The Gemini Method
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Also, Se7en should have won in 95 (it wasn't even nominated), Pulp Fiction in 94, Goodfellas in 90. Basically, Scorcese's movies should have won multiple times.

I agree with There Will Be Blood being a superior movie to No Country For Old Men.

I don't know if it was 'superior' to No Country, but it could have easily won the award.

Andrew Cunanan
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
You mean The English Patient? Titanic won it the next year going against L.A. Confidential and Good Will Hunting

Good lookin' out, it was TEP...yet another fru-fru british movie:rolleyes

The Gemini Method
02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Good lookin' out, it was TEP...yet another fru-fru british movie:rolleyes

Yeah, I don't get the Academy's infatuation with the softy Brit movies. I could've gotten behind, say, Trainspotting or any of the number of Brit Gangster flicks of the mid-90's and early '00s, but the English Patient and the other ones are completely mind boggling. I have a friend that has a vote in the awards and he always loathes the years that have the British movies as favorites.

Spurminator
02-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I agreed with the picks this year for Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress... Haven't seen Black Swan so can't really comment on Actress.

Wouldn't have picked King's Speech for BP, but it was a solid movie. I feel like it's been forever since I've seen a new movie with Geoffrey Rush. Also, Best Director for this movie was probably the award I least agreed with.

My favorite BP nominee was The Social Network, but I still haven't seen Black Swan, True Grit or The Kids Are All Right.

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 02:31 PM
The King's Speech was great.

yeah if you like your world Splenda sweet and vomit-inducingly sentimental.

They might as well have called the movie "We'll Suck Dick For Oscars" because it was basically a 2 hour study in how to hit every bullet point the Academy looks for in a BP winner. To their credit, they nailed it.

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
1. Inception does not deserve a Best Picture award. Give me a break.

It was far more deserving than "British Movie With Regal Actors, A Man With A Disability, His Wise Old Sage Leading Him To A Breakthrough, All With A Good Woman By His Side, A Few Assholes In Supporting Roles, And Fighting Hitler"

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan (seriously, what the fuck)

The Thin Red Line deserved it over either of them.

Andrew Cunanan
02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
The Thin Red Line deserved it over either of them.

That would be true if they didn't overkill the inner monologue.

Xylus
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
It was far more deserving than "British Movie With Regal Actors, A Man With A Disability, His Wise Old Sage Leading Him To A Breakthrough, All With A Good Woman By His Side, A Few Assholes In Supporting Roles, And Fighting Hitler"

I thought the Social Network deserved it this year over all of the nominees. It was a weak year for movies.

phxspurfan
02-28-2011, 02:54 PM
One needs to look no further than the 50th Academy Awards to see the crap they vote in. Star Wars may have been the best movie of all time, and it was a distant 4th to some movies no one has ever heard of.

1977 (50th)
Film Production company(s) Producer(s)
Annie Hall United Artists Charles H. Joffe
The Goodbye Girl Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Warner Bros. Ray Stark
Julia 20th Century Fox Richard Roth
Star Wars Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox Gary Kurtz
The Turning Point 20th Century Fox Herbert Ross, Arthur Laurents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_awards
From wikipedia:

Criticism

Due to the positive exposure and prestige of the Academy Awards, studios spend millions of dollars and hire publicists specifically to promote their films during what is typically called the "Oscar season." This has generated accusations of the Academy Awards being influenced more by marketing than quality. William Friedkin, an Oscar-winning film director and producer of the ceremony, expressed this sentiment at a conference in New York in 2009. He described it as "the greatest promotion scheme that any industry ever devised for itself."[50]
In addition, some winners critical of the Academy Awards have boycotted the ceremonies and refused to accept their Oscars. The first to do so was Dudley Nichols (Best Writing in 1935 for The Informer). Nichols boycotted the Eighth Academy Awards ceremony because of conflicts between the Academy and the Writer's Guild.[51] George C. Scott became the second person to refuse his award (Best Actor in 1970 for Patton), at the 43rd Academy Awards ceremony. Scott explained, "The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."[52][53][54] The third winner, Marlon Brando, refused his award (Best Actor in 1972 for The Godfather), citing the film industry's discrimination and mistreatment of Native Americans. At the 45th Academy Awards ceremony, Brando sent Sacheen Littlefeather to read a 15-page speech detailing Brando's criticisms.[51]
It has been observed that several of the Academy Award winners – particularly Best Picture – have not stood the test of time nor defeated worthier efforts. Tim Dirks, editor of AMC's filmsite.org, has written of the Academy Awards,
Unfortunately, the critical worth, artistic vision, cultural influence, and innovative qualities of many films are not given the same voting weight. Especially since the 80s, moneymaking 'formula-made' blockbusters with glossy production values have often been crowd-pleasing titans (and Best Picture winners), but they haven't necessarily been great films with depth or critical acclaim by any measure.[55]
Best Picture is not the only category to come under criticism. In his review of The Lives of Others, Nick Davis argued,
Generally speaking, if you drop the adjective "Best" and replace it with "Most," you come to a better understanding of what the Academy Awards are often about. "Most Editing" would be an apt label for the kinds of movies that win trophies for being so obviously "edited," particularly through action scenes or across multiple plot-strands, that even audiences who rarely think about film editing sit up and take notice. "Most Sound" and "Most Sound Effects" would explain the lingering fascination with explosions and submarine pings rather than subtler work connected to mood or character, and "Most Visual Effects" is even more self-explanatory. "Most Original Score" works if we parse "Most" not onto "Original" but onto "Score," since the compositions possessed of the greatest uniqueness and creativity rarely win or even get nominated, but movies crammed with music often do, even when the winning composer wrote almost none of it (see: Babel). Actors are often rewarded for doing the Most Acting, especially in the Supporting divisions, since "Most" connotes both the fussiness of one's thesping (just ask Renée Zellweger and Tim Robbins) and the awful-lotta screen time that nominees like Jamie Foxx, Jake Gyllenhaal, Cate Blanchett, and Natalie Portman tend to have over truly "supporting" actors.[56]
Acting prizes in certain years have been criticized for not recognizing superior performances so much as being awarded for sentimental reasons,[57] personal popularity,[58] atonement for past mistakes,[59] or presented as a "career honor" to recognize a distinguished nominee's entire body of work.[60]

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Can't really argue with Annie Hall winning. Star Wars is more iconic for sure, but Annie Hall is right there with The Godfather and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest as far as classic 70's cinema.

rjv
02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
lost in translation was a giant bore.

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 02:59 PM

You have shitty taste in movies.

Blake
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
a "Beautiful Mind" sucked.

LOTR should have won it going away

Blake
02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

+1

John Basedow
02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
LIT was excellent...you'd have to be a simpleton fuck to not enjoy the humor of that film

rjv
02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
mono and john-you two metro's can have a sofia coppola film fest together. i'll stick to watching her dad's movies.

Trainwreck2100
02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
LOT would have been good were it made by a man, Bill Murray deserved the Oscar for having to carry that fucking movie.

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
mono and john-you two metro's can have a sofia coppola film fest together. i'll stick to watching her dad's movies.

lol her dad hasn't made a good movie since Apocalypse Now.

oh crap
02-28-2011, 03:18 PM
the social network has to be the single most overrated movie in history. there was literally not one thing about the movie that i found impressive.

John Basedow
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM

You and your buddies can have a LOTR film fest together while you probe each other's assholes with wizard's staffs and play D&D all night.

I'll stick to watching movies that don't drag on for 4 hours with 10 different endings.

David Bowie
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM

I completely agree. I don't understand the appeal of that movie. (And I tend to like movies about everyday life.) Although Scarlett Johansen looked great in that film.

MannyIsGod
02-28-2011, 04:00 PM
If you thought lost in translation was boring then don't ever watch somewhere.

rjv
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
lol her dad hasn't made a good movie since Apocalypse Now.

you're right but i don't recall stating i would watch all of his films. godfather I and II and apolocalypse are pretty much most of us associate with him anyway.

rjv
02-28-2011, 04:23 PM
You and your buddies can have a LOTR film fest together while you probe each other's assholes with wizard's staffs and play D&D all night.

I'll stick to watching movies that don't drag on for 4 hours with 10 different endings.

i said i would watch francis ford coppola films not peter jacskon.

but your penchant for having a vivid and active imagination about nerd sex orgies and ADD are duly noted.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I enjoyed LIT. Haven't seen it since the first time and want to watch it again to see if i still like it. LIT Is one of those movies that people who like it should understand why some people hate it and think its boring.

monosylab1k
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
you're right

i know.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-28-2011, 04:35 PM
LIT Is one of those movies that people who like it should understand why some people hate it and think its boring.

Pretty much.

rjv
02-28-2011, 04:46 PM
i know.

well, it's pretty obvious unless you would really think most can not distinguish between godfather and rumble fish. why would that even have to be a matter of discussion to begin with ?

Xylus
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Lost in Translation was a great movie, and I don't really understand why people hate it.

JoeChalupa
02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
ONly movie I've seen so far is Inception and I wouldn't put it as best picture. Entertainment wise yeah, but best picture? Nah. I have no real desire to see the social network or True Grit but probably will just to see if I agree with other opinions who feel these movies are great.
I thought Slumlord was a great movie and sometimes if may not actually be a "better" film but was a more enjoyable one. The Kings Speech is probably a great film but if you are not into that kind of movie then I can easily where one would disagree with this year's winner. I didn't think Avatar was all that great as a movie. Visually yes but the story was not unique.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Lost in Translation was a great movie, and I don't really understand why people hate it.

Well it takes its time to develop the story, there are whole scenes with little to no dialogue, and it has an unconventional ending. That's three reasons right off the top of my head.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
And it has characters that a lot of people won't relate to ...and it's about their unconventional friendship.

In short, nothing blowed up and nobody got blowed out.

SourCandy
02-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Opinions. You can't please everyone. It's based on votes just cause a movie won don't mean EVERYONE thought the movie was awesome silly.

IronMexican
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Hsj9sMDgh-A

Deserves the oscar just for having that beautiful song:cry

John Basedow
02-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Opinions. You can't please everyone. It's based on votes just cause a movie won don't mean EVERYONE thought the movie was awesome silly.

If I put my hand down your pants what will I find?

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
but the real travesty is forrest gump beating out pulp fiction

f i f y

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Goodfellas losing to Dancing with Wolves was a travesty, but even worse was Godfather 3 being nominated for best picture that year. WTF Academy?

mouse
02-28-2011, 10:15 PM
It's based on votes

You really believe that?

Is there a link that shows who voted and how many votes each movie received from each person who voted?

There is so much bullshit politics at the Oscar's it makes the 911 commission book look like a boyscout CPR Manuel.

After a huge protest on no blacks winning an Oscar they give out two the same night. After being exposed as racist organization they made sure they corrected that by giving the Oscar to a bunch of B movie actors from India,

I gave up on the Oscars when Eddie Murphy didn't receive one for Nutty Professor.

Nick Manning
02-28-2011, 10:22 PM
You really believe that?

Is there a link that shows who voted and how many votes each movie received from each person who voted?

There is so much bullshit politics at the Oscar's it makes the 911 commission book look like a boyscout CPR Manuel.

After a huge protest on no blacks winning an Oscar they give out two the same night. After being exposed as racist organization they made sure they corrected that by giving the Oscar to a bunch of B movie actors from India,

I gave up on the Oscars when Eddie Murphy didn't receive one for Nutty Professor.

I implore you all not to take the bait.

JoeChalupa
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I would have voted for Dances with Wolves over Good Fellas. Both were great but for best picture DWW was the clear winner, IMO. Yes, it is all a matter of opinion as all these award shows are.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Mono, I just think outside of the Patriots you might not be good at picking winners.

SA210
03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Well besides best pictures, I have always believed Tom Cruise was robbed of best actor on Jerry Maguire.

Jacob1983
03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
He should have been nominated for Collateral too. He was perfect in that role.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:33 AM
the 364 days that it's not on.