PDA

View Full Version : Will the Spurs get screwed by the refs in the playoffs?

Wilford Brimley
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
This is my biggest fear and the cause of much of my apprehension about what's otherwise been a storybook season. I think it's safe to say that we will see an LA-SA WCF (I honestly don't buy the Mavs beating them, not in the playoffs).

That being said, if Miami, Boston, or Chicago come out of the east as expected, Stern will almost assuredly want the Lakers as their opponent. The storylines are aplenty:

Celtics-Lakers: rubber match, top 2 franchises. shaq v. kobe
Heat-Lakers: where to begin...
Bulls-Lakers: Phil's last ever series, against the Bulls.

With the impending doom of a CBA conflict/lockout, this is LA's last real shot at a title, so i fear that in a close series the Lakers will get all the calls and we'll get screwed.

I know that the Spurs are capable of playing through this, but you know the NBA values style over substance.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
The unequivical answer is Yes.
They always have and always will.
The Spurs always have to play against the other top teams and against the officials to win their championships!

Andrew Cunanan
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Spurs get just as many calls as the next team, if not more. See 2007 WCSF

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
If there were such a conspiracy committee I think their #1 goal would be to get Miami to the finals. I can't remember a more polarizing team. Plenty of fans would watch for Wade and Lebron. Plenty of other fans would be willing to watch them face whoever just to see them lose. You get some good story lines putting them up against any of the top four teams in the league:
-OKC - a coming out party for the young superstars of the league
-LA - defending champs, blah blah blah
-Dallas - hype vs. the most under the radar #2 seed, plus ghosts of '06, Dirk or Lebron guaranteed to finally get a ring
-SA - old and boring vs young and hip, plus Lebron seeks revenge for the Spurs snapping a broom handle off in him.

TE
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Looking beyond the free throw attempts or whatever, I think the more telling story is how the fouls are called. If refs allow the Spurs to be physically manhandled like the Grizz were allowed to play, I see the Spurs losing. No team can withstand the physicality and utter bullying the Grizz imparted to the Spurs yesterday. It was beyond pathetic seeing Manu getting pushed time and time again. I can honestly see that occuring during the playoffs.

But oh well, you got to man the fuck up and grow some balls.

That's why girls don't play the game.

VBM
02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
It was beyond pathetic seeing Manu getting pushed time and time again.

Sadly, Manu will always find it tougher to get calls since the refs know he'll always look to sell a call. The hope is that guys like Gasol get called on their bullshit too

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Whining about officiating is lame.

Pre-emptive whining about officiating in games yet to be played is even more lame.

Wilford Brimley
02-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Looking beyond the free throw attempts or whatever, I think the more telling story is how the fouls are called. If refs allow the Spurs to be physically manhandled like the Grizz were allowed to play, I see the Spurs losing. No team can withstand the physicality and utter bullying the Grizz imparted to the Spurs yesterday. It was beyond pathetic seeing Manu getting pushed time and time again. I can honestly see that occuring during the playoffs.

But oh well, you got to man the fuck up and grow some balls.

That's why girls don't play the game.

This. It baffles me how Manu is still disrespected by the officials after all these years. With the way he plays he should be going to the line 12-15 times a game. He simply cannot be stopped unless teams are allowed to foul him with impunity.

gospursgojas
02-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes as usual they will. Hopfully spurs will overcome.

Wilford Brimley
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Pop has our boys playing too well this year for Stern and his cronies to just come along and steal it from us. Can't happen, won't accept it.

Mal
02-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Hopefully no. Spurs arent facing any of overhyped eastern team, which Stern may want to win.

silverblk mystix
02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
People call Manu a flopper...

but if you watched the lakers/thunder game yesterday, Artest was allowed to do whatever he wanted to in defending durant...

Durant never found a way to make Artest pay for his thug defense and the thunder lost...

In the same scenario...Manu was mugged the entire game against the lakers by Artest...and Manu felt it for two or three games afterwards...

but the difference is that Manu will force the refs to make calls because Manu HAS TO make the fouls appear severe...so as to force the refs to make the call--and even then---they won't make the calls on a lot of cheap shots that Manu has to endure...

So Manu may be labeled as a flopper---but if he DOESN'T---then teams like the lakers will getaway with everything again and win it all again...

Durant hasn't learned how to be crafty yet...but he'll get there--I DON'T think he will get labeled a flopper though---funny how that shit works.

So the Spurs need to remain tough minded and play through the calls and dish out some pain also to win it all this year.

Wilford Brimley
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
People call Manu a flopper...

but if you watched the lakers/thunder game yesterday, Artest was allowed to do whatever he wanted to in defending durant...

Durant never found a way to make Artest pay for his thug defense and the thunder lost...

In the same scenario...Manu was mugged the entire game against the lakers by Artest...and Manu felt it for two or three games afterwards...

but the difference is that Manu will force the refs to make calls because Manu HAS TO make the fouls appear severe...so as to force the refs to make the call--and even then---they won't make the calls on a lot of cheap shots that Manu has to endure...

So Manu may be labeled as a flopper---but if he DOESN'T---then teams like the lakers will getaway with everything again and win it all again...

Durant hasn't learned how to be crafty yet...but he'll get there--I DON'T think he will get labeled a flopper though---funny how that shit works.

So the Spurs need to remain tough minded and play through the calls and dish out some pain also to win it all this year.

I hear ya bro...such a double standard. Manu > Durant, but you'll never see ESPN and the rest of the media acknowledge it, nor will the refs show him the same respect. It's pretty remarkable what he's done despite no respect over the years

Obstructed_View
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
They've gone into the playoffs against more physical teams with more wear and tear and won on the road. There's nothing they haven't seen before. The Spurs have never lost a game they deserved to win that was the fault of the officials, with the possible exception of the Joey Crawford game.

rascal
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Using the ref excuse before the playoffs even start.

rascal
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
They've gone into the playoffs against more physical teams with more wear and tear and won on the road. There's nothing they haven't seen before. The Spurs have never lost a game they deserved to win that was the fault of the officials, with the possible exception of the Joey Crawford game.

You must not have been around in 1979.

bresilhac
02-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Pre-emptive whining about officiating in games yet to be played is even more lame.

You obviously haven't seen many Spurs playoff games. If you had you would be singing a different tune about the blatently biased officiating that San Antonio has had to endure all these years. The Spurs have always had to play the officials as well as their opponents in the playoffs.

However, having said that I do believe the Spurs have gotten a fair shake once they've reached the Finals. Officiating in the Finals seems to be more evenhanded. So I guess it balances out in the end. But getting to the Finals, that's the tough part.

Fpoonsie
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Este...though, I'm not sure whose troll WB is, so...

dbestpro
02-28-2011, 08:58 PM
As long as the NBA and ESPN tout the superstar over the team the NBA and teams like the Spurs will always have a suspect future.

rascal
02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
You obviously haven't seen many Spurs playoff games. If you had you would be singing a different tune about the blatently biased officiating that San Antonio has had to endure all these years. The Spurs have always had to play the officials as well as their opponents in the playoffs.

However, having said that I do believe the Spurs have gotten a fair shake once they've reached the Finals. Officiating in the Finals seems to be more evenhanded. So I guess it balances out in the end. But getting to the Finals, that's the tough part.

So the officiating is good when the Spurs win (The Finals).

bresilhac
02-28-2011, 09:16 PM
So the officiating is good when the Spurs win (The Finals).

I said the officiating was more evenhanded in the Finals. If you'll notice I didn't mention who had won any of those series. The fact that San Antonio did win all four of their Finals series is attributable more to their talent, style of play etc. being better than their respective Finals opponents. Which is what is supposed to happen when the officials allow the players to decide a series.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I said the officiating was more evenhanded in the Finals. If you'll notice I didn't mention who had won any of those series. The fact that San Antonio did win all four of their Finals series is attributable more to their talent, style of play etc. being better than their respective Finals opponents. Which is what is supposed to happen when the officials allow the players to decide a series.

Lame.

Dex
02-28-2011, 10:20 PM
At some point, I'm sure we will all think so.

And so will just about every other fan of fifteen other teams.

shorttotry
02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
The Spurs have a history of playing through adversity. If a REALLY bullshit foul comes to blow our chances, it will happen in the final 3 minutes of a make or break game as always. We all know that Stern wants a LA-MIA matchup in the finals. It's fucking clockwork. I do anticipate BS calls in the WCF, but that's news to who?! If the Spurs execute, they can overcome any of that bullshit and win anyway like they have in the past. At this point, I'm not afraid of anyone (since the Perkins ship has sailed), and I want a healthy EVERYONE (including LA, MIA, BOS, CHI) just so there isn't any more asterisks next to our banner. GO SPURS :flag:

Obstructed_View
02-28-2011, 11:12 PM
You must not have been around in 1979.

When the refs caused the Spurs to choke away a 3-1 lead in the conference finals? Good luck with that.

ata
03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Spurs get just as many calls as the next team, if not more. See 2007 WCSF

It is not how many calls you get (or opponent doesn't!) as when do get them (or opponent doesn't)!

dav4463
03-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Lebron and Wade get calls that no one else gets. Durant and Pierce are free throw machines. Dirk gets calls when he flops on fadeaway jumpers. Lakers are a glamour team. They always get calls in the playoffs.

Parker does get calls when he is aggressive. Manu does not get enough respect. Tim will get calls in the post for the most part.

That's just the way it is.

Wilford Brimley
03-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Lebron and Wade get calls that no one else gets. Durant and Pierce are free throw machines. Dirk gets calls when he flops on fadeaway jumpers. Lakers are a glamour team. They always get calls in the playoffs.

Parker does get calls when he is aggressive. Manu does not get enough respect. Tim will get calls in the post for the most part.

That's just the way it is.

Solid post. I agree

Rummpd
03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Among the top teams, Only Miami (James and Wade breath = foul) and the Thunder stars (Durant always gets lots of FTs despite fade aways) always seem to get the calls, oand to be fair Bryant and Dirk are two superstars often shafted, ala Tim in getting calls IMO.

dav4463
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Among the top teams, Only Miami (James and Wade breath = foul) and the Thunder stars (Durant always gets lots of FTs despite fade aways) always seem to get the calls, oand to be fair Bryant and Dirk are two superstars often shafted, ala Tim in getting calls IMO.

Dirk shafted? He almost never goes strong to the basket, yet gets to the line as much as Adrian Dantley used to!

John Basedow
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Dirk shafted? He almost never goes strong to the basket, yet gets to the line as much as Adrian Dantley used to!

Dirk going to the basket ended your season in 2006, tbh

dav4463
03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Dirk going to the basket ended your season in 2006, tbh

I said "almost".

dbestpro
03-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Not sure about the Spurs, but I am positive Orlando is in trouble.