PDA

View Full Version : Corey Brewer getting bought out.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

EricB
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Per yahoo on twitter.

Get him spurs.....

Ditty
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
nba=fucked

if spurs get him :lol

cd98
02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Boston? So he can play behind Pierce and Green?

Dallas? So he can play behind Peja, Marion, and Butler (if he returns)?

Oklahoma? They already got Sefelosha.

Come to S.A. We'll give you plenty of minutes. Heck, the way Jefferson has played lately, you may even get a starting gig.

Buddy Holly
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
"Sources say Boston, San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Dallas are among the teams with the most interest in Brewer, who joined the Knicks only last week as part of the Carmelo Anthony (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony) deal."

Link?

crc21209
Wow. Didnt know he was going to get bought out...

TE

Come to S.A. We'll give you plenty of minutes. Heck, the way Jefferson has played lately, you may even get a starting gig.
Email this to him. Hopefully the guy knows whats up.

Ditty

what you talking about

Jefferson shot has been hot lately

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't really understand the luxury tax stuff. Can Dallas and Boston afford him if its not for a minimum salary? He'd probably get the most minutes in OKC with Green gone.

Buddy Holly
Email this to him. Hopefully the guy knows whats up.

Bro, NBA players don't read NBA forums or emails. :lol

Agloco
Good backup 3 and decent defender. Can't shoot to save his life though.....

rayray2k8
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
The Knicks have decided to buyout Corey Brewer, who was acquired last week from Minnesota.

The Celtics, Spurs, Mavericks and Thunder are all interested in Brewer.
Via Marc Stein/ESPN (via Twitter)

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211601/Knicks_Buyout_Brewer_Contenders_Line_Up_Interest

coyotes_geek
Yes please.

k_nguyen93
Tweet him as well, www.twitter.com/coreybrewer22. Not too many so far as the story was just reported.

NASpurs
Boston is interested in everybody that gets bought out apparently.

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Boston is interested in everybody that gets bought out apparently.

:lol, they should going after bigs since they traded most of there's...

TE
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Okay well someone tweet his ass. I don't have twitter so I can't do it asap. No joke.

rayray2k8
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
I just followed him and tweeted to him.. Told him that Pop loves his work ethic and his defense would finally be appreciated.

DesignatedT
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
tweet his ass!!!

Agloco
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I just followed him and tweeted to him.. Told him that Pop loves his work ethic and his defense would finally be appreciated.

:tu :lol

crc21209
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
:lol

DarkGinobili
02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
:rollin:rollin:lmao

Hooks
02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
The Spurs' FO needs to pursue him aggressively, we need a good defensive player badly.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Well done sir! :toast

02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
i dunno about brewer. he had all the tools coming into the NBA but still managed to suck. i question his work ethic and maturity.

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
The Spurs' FO needs to pursue him aggressively, we need a good defensive player badly.

Agreed! This would not only help out this season but the guy is freaking only 24 and could help out many seasons to come..

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
i dunno about brewer. he had all the tools coming into the NBA but still managed to suck. i question his work ethic and maturity.

Look at the clubs this guy has been stuck on: Minny and NY for a couple of days. He simply tried and had to do things (like score) that he is not accustomed to doing on those bad teams. Put him on a team like the spurs where his main job is defense and I have a good feeling he will do pretty well.

TE
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Lock him and Pop in a gym for a day and that work ethic and maturity will shore up.

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Centerpiece, the sequel?

baseline bum
02-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Jefferson may not be putting up numbers, but he has been able to hit the open three all season and he's therefore been a pretty useful piece this year. He's vastly more useful now than last season despite having similar stats.

8FOR!3
02-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Centerpiece, the sequel?

Please don't compare Bogans to Brewer. If anything he's closer to Bowen than he is Bogans. Brewer that is.

God I should have used their first names...:lol

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Again he's 24...

8FOR!3
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Again he's 24...

I agree, he's 24. I'm 19 and Sean Connery is 80.

Budkin
02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
I tweeted him... "Please please come to the Spurs. You like rings don't you?"

InTheCrust
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
maybe we can fill out the two remaining spots with brewer and ford. that fills two needs!

mingus
02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
i don't see how he would get pt here if the Spurs plan includes James Anderson. At this point i think Brewer would be more impactful, but we'd be closing the door on Anderson.

Not saying i wouldn't go after him, because i would, but we'd have plenty of wing players. This team def. needs a "stopper." you could say Hill is on the cusp of being one, but Brewer is a certified stopper.

Ditty
02-28-2011, 06:03 PM
anyway spurs can buy out quinn now :lol

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Anderson is only a rookie and a rookie who has missed 1/2 of the season due to injury..he cannot be expected to carry the back up sf in the playoffs and should not for the spurs to win another championship.

TE
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
anyway spurs can buy out quinn now :lol
No joke, I'm in a library studying right now and this statement killed me. :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

rayray2k8
02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
i don't see how he would get pt here if the Spurs plan includes James Anderson. At this point i think Brewer would be more impactful, but we'd be closing the door on Anderson.

Not saying i wouldn't go after him, because i would, but we'd have plenty of wing players. This team def. needs a "stopper." you could say Hill is on the cusp of being one, but Brewer is a certified stopper.

Pop usually never plays rookies in the playoffs. Blair didn't get anytime last year and Hill didn't get any the following year either.
Brewer is a better option right now, but if things don't work out Anderson will be a nice fallback.

Bartleby
02-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Anderson is essentially a guard/forward whereas Brewer is a more of a true SF. Plus, they have very different games.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 06:11 PM

That's one thing he will get for sure - playing time. Not only this year, but should he elect to resign over the summer.

8FOR!3
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
It's a nice situation. Brewer would be great. If not, Butler would be nice. If not, we're still good with James Anderson.

BOHOLANO#21
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Check. I tweeted him too to be part of the spurs future...blair, hill, anderson,neal, splitter and him...that's awesome future...

jjktkk
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
What can the Spurs offer Brewer $$$$$ wise? Do the other interested teams have more money to offer Brewer?

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Anderson can play some shooting guard for awhile while Hill plays pointguard. Plus Pop can cut back on RJ's minutes and split it between Brewer and Anderson who's still getting in shape.

SenorSpur
Tweet him as well, www.twitter.com/coreybrewer22. Not too many so far as the story was just reported.

Yeah give him a tweet.

Tell him to get his behind into a Spurs uniform.

Sell him on the fact that he could be our next "Bruce Bowen" and have Bruce offer him a 1-year gift certificate at Yardley's Spa.

8FOR!3
I wonder if ATL fans are tweeting him. "yo homey we could use a muffucka like you"

TampaDude
As a Gators fan, I'd love to have Corey Brewer on the Spurs! Come on over, Corey...we'll get you a ring!!! :hat

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Brilliant!

:toast

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
What can the Spurs offer Brewer $$$$$ wise? Do the other interested teams have more money to offer Brewer?

Mavs have their full MLE. Spurs ahve about $1.7 of theirs.

BOHOLANO#21
02-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Anderson is only a rookie and a rookie who has missed 1/2 of the season due to injury..he cannot be expected to carry the back up sf in the playoffs and should not for the spurs to win another championship.

Popovich just need to trust anderson like he did to rookie :wowginobili in 03 title run...

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Couldn't agree more. This would be the long, athletic defender that Pop, and so many of us, have long desired.

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

From what I'm hearing, Boston can offer him the least amount of money. They used entire MLE on Jermaine O'Neal. Even Shaq is only making minimum.

The Thunder have the lowest payroll of all the four teams. Didn't they use all their money on Nick Collison?

Dallas has their full MLE but are way over luxury tax. Have to pay double for everything.

Spurs have part of MLE and BLE left I think. (Thanks Tiago!)

cd98
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
One million on Brewer and $700,000 for Ford?

02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Mavs have their full MLE. Spurs ahve about $1.7 of theirs.
mavs still have their MLE? pretty sick, they can have their pick of the FAs.

Spurs Brazil
02-28-2011, 06:26 PM
He would be perfect in San Antonio.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Depends on the FA and what they're looking for. If Brewer wants playing time, I don't think there's any doubt that the Spurs have more of it to offer than the mavs do. If Brewer just wants to get paid to sit on the bench, then the mavs are probably more appealing to him.

Also, need to keep in mind that Cuban is already looking at having to cut a $13 mil check for being over the lux tax. While the mavs do have their full MLE, anyone they sign with it ends up costing Cuban double.

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
I checked Cuban's Twitter and it's full of people requesting he sign Sasha Pavlovic for the rest of the season :lmao

tmtcsc
02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
What's the scoop on this guy ? His stats aren't outstanding and he played on a bad team. What gives ? Is it his defense ? Can he finish at the rim ?

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Look at the clubs this guy has been stuck on: Minny and NY for a couple of days. He simply tried and had to do things (like score) that he is not accustomed to doing on those bad teams. Put him on a team like the spurs where his main job is defense and I have a good feeling he will do pretty well.

There isn't any question about it.

Brewer is already competent defensive player. He's long, athletic and coachable. Too bad he's been on crappy teams throughout the first few years of his career. Imagine how much better he would be with some proper coaching and technique.

People rag on him claiming he can't shoot. However his outside shot is significantly better than it was when he came in. He's not ready to challenge Ray Allen to a 3-pt shooting contest, but he can hit open shots on the perimeter.

Bottom line, the kid is 24 years old, a true SF and has a few seasons of NBA experience under his belt. He's arguably better than any other SF we could get on the open market or in next year's draft. Butler may be better in some respects and more experienced. However, Brewer is more athletic, has more upside. Can't go wrong with either, but I'd take Brewer over Butler. This is an absolute no-brainer.

TampaDude
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
He would be perfect in San Antonio.

Yup...he's not really a scorer, but we have plenty of scorers...we really need another stopper to boost our perimeter defense. Brewer is a perfect fit for the Spurs. :toast

Bartleby
02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Also, need to keep in mind that Cuban is already looking at having to cut a $13 mil check for being over the lux tax. While the mavs do have their full MLE, anyone they sign with it ends up costing Cuban double.

On the one hand I could see Cuban going after Brewer largely to keep him away from the Spurs, but on the other hand I have trouble seeing him shell out $4 million (or more) to do that.

TampaDude
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
If we do get Brewer, are fans of other teams going to start screaming COLLUSION??? :lol

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
What's the scoop on this guy ? His stats aren't outstanding and he played on a bad team. What gives ? Is it his defense ? Can he finish at the rim ?

Here's the book on Brewer, according to Hoopshype:

http://hoopshype.com/players/corey_brewer.htm

Oustanding athleticism...Pretty long...Good defender...Has improved jump shot a lot.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM

It's all about his youth, size and defense. He's not a good offensive player at all. But on a team that already has enough guys who are good offensively and mediocre/subpar defensively, Brewer would make a good compliment.

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
On the one hand I could see Cuban going after Brewer largely to keep him away from the Spurs, but on the other hand I have trouble seeing him shell out $4 million (or more) to do that.

I tend to agree. Plus, I think playing time is going to be more important than money to Brewer. The next contract he gets is going to be largely based on what he does the rest of this season + playoffs, and sitting on the mavs bench watching Marion & Peja play doesn't help him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
One fly in the ointment - he has a lot to learn to master the system enough to become a rotation player this year, and last year he looked totally lost in the Triangle. I'm not high on his BB IQ, which means he'd be unlikely to play much this year.

Also, he's a horrible offensive player.

tmtcsc
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
For all those wanting to send him a note on Twitter, its coreybrewer22. Sorry if that was already posted.

Buddy Holly
02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
I checked Cuban's Twitter and it's full of people requesting he sign Sasha Pavlovic for the rest of the season :lmao

Wait, how do you check to see what people are twitting a certain person?

Budkin
02-28-2011, 06:40 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/search/coreybrewer22

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Go to search bar at top of Twitter.com

Type in @account name

Ex. @coreybrewer22
Ex #2. @mcuban

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 06:42 PM
One fly in the ointment - he has a lot to learn to master the system enough to become a rotation player this year, and last year he looked totally lost in the Triangle. I'm not high on his BB IQ, which means he'd be unlikely to play much this year.

That's certainly a concern, but I think a guy in Brewer's situation would have an easier time of things, given the role the Spurs would be looking for him to fill. I would think it would be a little easier on a guy when all you'd be asking him to do was provide some quality minutes of man to man defense. The Spurs wouldn't be asking a lot from him offensively and I don't think the Spurs defense is as complicated for the wing players as it is on the bigs.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 06:46 PM

I think that's a bit much. He was a horrible offensive player when he came into the league. The guy can now hit open shots. His offense still needs improvement, but I wouldn't classify him nowhere near horrible.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow he would be a great pick up just for his defense alone.
I liked watching him when he played at Florida, haven't paid much attention to him in the NBA. Get him with the great players and coaches here in SA, and its a win.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
We have enough offensive firepower on this team, I'm much much more concerned with the defense. Both on the wings and inside.

Corey would easily become a top 2 perimeter defender on this team so I'm all for signing him based on that alone :tu

cd98
02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Depends on the FA and what they're looking for. If Brewer wants playing time, I don't think there's any doubt that the Spurs have more of it to offer than the mavs do. If Brewer just wants to get paid to sit on the bench, then the mavs are probably more appealing to him.

Right. But Mavs don't have to sign him for full MLE. And they don't have to sign him for multiple years. All they have to do is offer a little more than the Spurs. Sure he has to pay the tax, but he's shown to be willing to do that. Exhibit A: Brenden Haywood.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
That's certainly a concern, but I think a guy in Brewer's situation would have an easier time of things, given the role the Spurs would be looking for him to fill. I would think it would be a little easier on a guy when all you'd be asking him to do was provide some quality minutes of man to man defense. The Spurs wouldn't be asking a lot from him offensively and I don't think the Spurs defense is as complicated for the wing players as it is on the bigs.

If all we're going to use him for is man-on-man in a box-and-1 kind of set-up against guys like Kobe in the 4th Q I can see it working. But is that how Pop operates? He's not the kind of coach who will change his entire game plan like that.

Having Brewer around certainly wouldn't hurt the team, but I'm skeptical that he could come in and make a huge difference at this point in the season given Pop's tendency to go with what he knows and is comfortable with.

I think that's a bit much. He was a horrible offensive player when he came into the league. The guy can now hit open shots. His offense still needs improvement, but I wouldn't classify him nowhere near horrible.

He's shooting .384 this year, career .406, which is laughable with his athleticism (he should at least be able to finish at the rim!): http://www.nba.com/playerfile/corey_brewer/career_stats.html

Must admit that I haven't seen much of him this year, but I've never been anything but appalled by his offense when I've seen him play in past years.

cd98
02-28-2011, 07:03 PM
We have enough offensive firepower on this team, I'm much much more concerned with the defense. Both on the wings and inside.

Corey would easily become a top 2 perimeter defender on this team so I'm all for signing him based on that alone :tu

Top 2 may be overstating, but he would have a significant impact. Lots of good 3s we'll have to contend with to win a championship (especially Kobe). Also, at 6'9 and his speed and length, he may be our best option for guarding Dirk. Need to pull out all stops.

Bartleby
02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Lots of good 3s we'll have to contend with to win a championship (especially Kobe). Also, at 6'9 and his speed and length, he may be our best option for guarding Dirk.

Maybe Durant, too.

cd98
02-28-2011, 07:05 PM
If all we're going to use him for is man-on-man in a box-and-1 kind of set-up against guys like Kobe in the 4th Q I can see it working. But is that how Pop operates? He's not the kind of coach who will change his entire game plan like that.

Having Brewer around certainly wouldn't hurt the team, but I'm skeptical that he could come in and make a huge difference at this point in the season given Pop's tendency to go with what he knows and is comfortable with.

He's shooting .384 this year, career .406, which is laughable with his athleticism (he should at least be able to finish at the rim!): http://www.nba.com/playerfile/corey_brewer/career_stats.html

Must admit that I haven't seen much of him this year, but I've never been anything but appalled by his offense when I've seen him play in past years.

Imagine seeing an opposing player hit three shots in a row and then Pop can stick in a defender like Brewer to stop him. Shades of Bruce Bowen.

DarkGinobili
02-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Get it done!:ihit

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Ahh shit. I just had a mental image of him in a Mavs uniform. They can easily offer double that. Cuban has never been scared of throwing money at his teams.

Yeah and Cubes and his cronies were pissing all over themselves hoping to get Tayshun Prince. Since they failed there, expect them to step in and make a sizeable offer to Brewer.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Imagine seeing an opposing player hit three shots in a row and then Pop can stick in a defender like Brewer to stop him. Shades of Bruce Bowen.

That's what I'm talking about. I don't care as much what his offensive shortcomings are - that can improve. Brewer would provide an immediate and instant upgrade to the Spurs perimeter defense.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Just messaged CB22. Have a feeling he will go to Celtics.

Fuck!

Does he want to play behind both Pierce and Green?

TD 21
02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I think he'll sign with the Spurs. They potentially have playing time available and a clear cut role/need for someone like him and not just now. Unlike the other three, who have interest just to have interest, he could fill a long term role with the Spurs potentially.

The Mavs have little to no playing time available as is and will have even less if/when Butler returns, the Celtics have no playing time available with the acquisition of Green and the Thunder don't either. Even though they don't technically have a backup three, between Sefolosha/Cook, they got it covered. Plus, with their lack of shooting, there's no way they can seriously afford to give Brewer minutes. The Spurs are the perfect fit.

HBS
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM

I agree. If he is not a head case and accepts his role as a defensive stopper, he could be a Bruce Bowen for Spurs. :flag:

Mugen
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
if he was smart, he'd sign with the spurs where he can play in a system that maximizes his talents and then leave in the offseason and get paid.

ElNono
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Not happening, imo

Texas_Ranger
02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
I like how now everyone likes him, but if he signs with the Mavs there will be a lot of ''fuck you Corey'' posts. :rollin

Bartleby
02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Not happening, imo

Hate to say it, but I agree with you. The Spurs will probably go for a pg now that Tony is out.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I think he'll sign with the Spurs. They potentially have playing time available and a clear cut role/need for someone like him and not just now. Unlike the other three, who have interest just to have interest, he could fill a long term role with the Spurs potentially.

The Mavs have little to no playing time available as is and will have even less if/when Butler returns, the Celtics have no playing time available with the acquisition of Green and the Thunder don't either. Even though they don't technically have a backup three, between Sefolosha/Cook, they got it covered. Plus, with their lack of shooting, there's no way they can seriously afford to give Brewer minutes. The Spurs are the perfect fit.

I agree with you on all points. I just hope he realizes that too.

Spurfect21
02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I like how now everyone likes him, but if he signs with the Mavs there will be a lot of ''fuck you Corey'' posts. :rollin

So true...it will be about how they got an offensive scrub and how Manu will rec all over him. Spurs need to make this happen. Solid wing defenders are like good offensive linemen in the NFL, nobody talks about them til your QB is laying there with a broken collarbone. Brewer has great potential on this team...

Shank
02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
How do the Mavs not have playing time? Sasha Pavlovic was starting after Butler went out and Peja isn't the solution at that position. He'll get plenty of playing time in Dallas.

Ross Parrot
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Yep, the posters here have already seen the future of Spurs basketball.

PG. George Hill
SG. James Anderson
SF. Corey Brewer
PF. Dejuan Blair
C. Tiago Splitter

Sixth man. Ryan Richards

:lmao

Libri
02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
I had him on my fantasy team for awhile. Don't expect a lot of 3-pointers from him. Furthermore, he went through a stretch where he had a difficult time scoring. Yet, what I liked was that he always contributed with steals. So I agree that his contribution will be on the defensive end.

Mr. Body
02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Don't expect it. Players wanna pile on with the big stars now. He'll sign with Boston or Miami.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-28-2011, 07:38 PM

I understand his potential value, I'm just not as sure he'd be able to integrate quickly enough to gain Pop's trust. The only player I can think of recently who was brought in and made an immediate impact is Nazr back in 2005. Corey might be able to, but I don't think he's a certainty to do so.

That being said, and as I said above, having him around couldn't hurt. He's no Bruce Bowen, but he is a homeless man's Bruce, and we don't have anyone like him on the roster.

k_nguyen93
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Miami/Lakers aren't going after him (yet). He wouldn't get much money or playing time at those locations, only exposure and nice weather.

Does he really want to go back to cold Boston with not playing time/money instead of San Antonio after spending last years in Minnesota?

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldnt feel to bad if ends up at OKC, at least he would get equal or more PT with those guys..

TD 21
02-28-2011, 07:45 PM
How do the Mavs not have playing time? Sasha Pavlovic was starting after Butler went out and Peja isn't the solution at that position. He'll get plenty of playing time in Dallas.

Take you bias out of the equation for a second (if you're capable of doing so). The Mavs have Stojakovic/Marion manning the three. They also, at times, will play three guards along the perimeter. Also, supposedly, Butler plans to return early in the playoffs. If so, would they even have room on the active roster for Brewer? Probably not. Is their a chance for him to be a piece going forward? Probably not.

Face it, the only reason the Mavs are interested is because they're desperate, greedy and love to make headlines. If they bring back Pavlovic, it's to be the 12th-13th man and if/when they're healthy, guaranteed inactive. Why would Brewer, a rotation caliber player, want that? He can go to a better team with more of a need for him.

With the Spurs, he can step right in and potentially play rotation minutes. They could have Neal play in tandem with Ginobili as the backup point and have either Anderson or Brewer playing backup three. Their might even be minutes for both on occasion. Also, like I said, he could potentially be a piece going forward, considering how shallow the Spurs are at SF and their need for a long, athletic perimeter defender.

I'm not just saying it because I'm a Spurs fan and would like to see them sign him. Murphy's been bandied about for weeks and I've repeatedly said, he's not a fit and the Spurs more than likely won't have any interest. Brewer is a different story, though.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Shut up and listen to what Spurs fans are telling you, namely he will not get playing time with a loser team like the Mavs!:lol

ChuckD
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Go to search bar at top of Twitter.com

Type in @account name

Ex. @coreybrewer22
Ex #2. @mcuban

...or @nsync

Shank
02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Take you bias out of the equation for a second (if you're capable of doing so).

Face it, the only reason the Mavs are interested is because they're desperate, greedy and love to make headlines. If they bring back Pavlovic, it's to be the 12th-13th man and if/when they're healthy, guaranteed inactive. Why would Brewer, a rotation caliber player, want that? He can go to a better team with more of a need for him.

Interesting. I have to take bias out, but you don't.

Pavlovic started and they found success while he was with the team, including a win over the Lakers.

ace3g
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
would be nice to see this in a Spurs uniform!!!

xxfb3pTm2Hw

TD 21
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Interesting. I have to take bias out, but you don't.

Pavlovic started and they found success while he was with the team, including a win over the Lakers.

Tell me a player the Mavs are not interested? If someone spread a false rumor about Dr. J being available, I'm sure the Mavs would be interested in him too.

They're a desperate, greedy team, that loves to make headlines. It's been made abundantly clear. Why else would they have stacked player on top of player over the years that they didn't need and rarely played? This is just the latest example.

I know Pavlovic started and they got away with it for a while. I said if he's brought back, he won't have a role, barring injury. He's a fringe player, so he'll take any deal he can get, but Brewer is a young, rotation caliber player. Why would he want to be stuck at the end of the Mavs bench and (if/when healthy), in a suit? Unless the difference in the offers is huge, which I doubt (considering the Mavs are already paying $13 million in tax, would have to pay double whatever they paid him and don't need him), it makes no sense.

MannyIsGod
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Spurs have little to no chance, IMO. I think the pecking order is Dallas, Boston, then the Spurs. Hope I'm wrong.

DPG21920
02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
BJ & DPG say yes.

benefactor
02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Wow...very interesting development. He is a player I have long coveted for the Spurs. I'm not gonna hold my breath because as someone else mentioned, Miami/Boston are sexier picks...but hopefully he can be convinced to head to SA.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Wow...very interesting development. He is a player I have long coveted for the Spurs. I'm not gonna hold my breath because as someone else mentioned, Miami/Boston are sexier picks...but hopefully he can be convinced to head to SA.

If he is smart he will come here.

DJB
02-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Spurs FO should be all over this...

wildbill2u
02-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Here's the book on Brewer, according to Hoopshype:

http://hoopshype.com/players/corey_brewer.htm

Oustanding athleticism...Pretty long...Good defender...Has improved jump shot a lot.

Top defender in SEC one year and MVP of Final Four in 2007. Lotter pick went #7.

24 yo. 6-9 athletic defender at SF? Makes $2.9 million this year.

Might be worth a trial run.

Hooks
02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Isn't Murphy supposed to go to BOS, and Butler to MIA?...

TeKu
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Why would NY do this? Surely he still has value as a trade chip and they just gutted their roster to get Melo. He's a #7 pick with 3 years experience so I was surprised when Minny even traded him, now this?

TampaDude
02-28-2011, 08:24 PM

xxfb3pTm2Hw

:toast

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Take you bias out of the equation for a second (if you're capable of doing so). The Mavs have Stojakovic/Marion manning the three. They also, at times, will play three guards along the perimeter. Also, supposedly, Butler plans to return early in the playoffs. If so, would they even have room on the active roster for Brewer? Probably not. Is their a chance for him to be a piece going forward? Probably not.

With the Spurs, he can step right in and potentially play rotation minutes. They could have Neal play in tandem with Ginobili as the backup point and have either Anderson or Brewer playing backup three. Their might even be minutes for both on occasion. Also, like I said, he could potentially be a piece going forward, considering how shallow the Spurs are at SF and their need for a long, athletic perimeter defender.

I'm not just saying it because I'm a Spurs fan and would like to see them sign him. Murphy's been bandied about for weeks and I've repeatedly said, he's not a fit and the Spurs more than likely won't have any interest. Brewer is a different story, though.

:lol @ Mavs fans because, just like their jack-wagon owner, they believe they can hoarde all the talent.

In their minds, assembling a roster with the best talent = :lobt2:

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM

I'm with you. I've long wanted this guy on the Spurs roster.

I don't think we need to worry about Miami. They're in the bidding for Murphy and Bibby and look to be leading the pack there.

Boston may be sexy, but they don't have enough PT to offer him. Why would he go there to play behind Pierce and Green.

Spurs are the perfect fit. That's not to say that this is a slam-dunk signing, but is sure makes the most sense for both sides.

dbestpro
02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Brewer is not a Mav kind of player. His offense is average at best, but he excels on the defensive end. This is something the Mavs and their fans will never respect.

Boston and SA are good fits for Brewer because of their historical passion for defense. Boston does not seem like a team that will have PT for Brewer. SA would be a perfect fit except Pop is not an easy coach to get PT from as a new player, but Brewer definitely seems to be a Spurs kind of player.

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM

xxfb3pTm2Hw

lol fisher getting a facial

SpursRulez4eVeR
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
interesting...what i don't understand tho is why is mason still on the knick's bench

dbestpro
02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
interesting...what i don't understand tho is why is mason still on the knick's bench

D'Antoni would rather have a has been offensive player than a ready now defender.

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Update from jeff mcdonald via twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/jmcdonald_saen

@varner48MoH Re: Ford and Brewer. No way to sign both and stay under luxury tax. Ford will get you frighteningly close to that line, too.

Buddy Holly
02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
It's Brewer than.

Ditty
02-28-2011, 09:34 PM
I know I'm not an owner, but you have to go over the tax if you have a chance to get two quality players.

+1 that was what I was thinking especially if Parker will be out around the 4 week period

I don't think Holt is that much of a cheap ass

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 09:34 PM
I know I'm not an owner, but you have to go over the tax if you have a chance to get two quality players.

how much should the spurs pay if they are over the luxury tax?

cd98
02-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Btw, we are cap conscious, but with the best record in the NBA and an aging roster, ownership has shown it will go over the cap if it significantly increases their chances of winning another title.

Blackjack
02-28-2011, 09:36 PM
BJ & DPG say yes.

And that's why you're the Sheriff. Even Omnipotence needs a break from time to time.

Seventyniner
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM

The first minimum signing costs roughly $70,000 (prorated). The second would cost upwards of $2,500,000, in lost luxury tax redistribution. I can see why ownership would be wary of that.

Brewer fills a need for the playoffs and the future, while Ford fills a need while Parker is out.

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
The first minimum signing costs roughly $70,000 (prorated). The second would cost upwards of $2,500,000, in lost luxury tax redistribution. I can see why ownership would be wary of that.

Brewer fills a need for the playoffs and the future, while Ford fills a need while Parker is out.

Thats one way to look at it or you can get 2 players for 2.57 mil who can contribute immediatly and save the wear and tear on the 10+ mil players for the playoffs.

Shank
02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Mavs exploring return of Sasha Pavlovic:

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/02/mavericks-exploring-the-return-of-sasha.html

Bruno
02-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Spurs can sign 2 players without going over the tax. They can even sign 3 players without going over the tax...

Unless I've missed something, McDonalds is (again) wrong.

yavozerb
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Spurs can sign 2 players without going over the tax. They can even sign 3 players without going over the tax...

:lol, glad your around Bruno...How much can both be had without going over then?

timtonymanu
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Please oh please come to SA, Brewer. IMO, he's going to Boston. They all like going there.

Hoops Czar
02-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Ford won't accept a buy out from Indiana unless he can recoup the money lost from the buy out by the team who signs him.

Bruno
02-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Say the Spurs sign Brewer to the full LLE and Ford to the 8(?) vet min?

Signing Brewer with the LLE exception would cost about $4M to Spurs. I doubt Spurs offer Brewer more than a min salary.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Go after Brewer for sure and maybe Butler, and then Murphy or Ford.
Hopefully the Mavs are just going after Pavlovic.

benefactor
02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't see why the Spurs would need to sign both. Brewer would get minutes right out of the gate, which would take away the minutes Manu was playing at SF and would free him up to help play PG by committee(with Hill and Quinn) until Parker returns.

ace3g
02-28-2011, 09:58 PM

How much does Novak put toward the luxury tax? Granted he wouldn't be here if we signed 2 players but maybe he forgot to subract Novak from the equation

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
He's an overrated defender, but he's still good in that regard, good size and energy..his offense is atrocious though, so I'm not sure how he would fit on this team, since the increase in offensive ability has been the staple to the Spurs' success, this season..

Nevertheless, I would still be content if the Spurs can sign him, he gives the team a dimension that they don't have on this team..it wouldn't hurt at all to have him in a potential Tony Allen role, I suppose..

Bruno
02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
how much does Novak put toward the luxury tax?

Spurs are $985K below the tax including Novak 2 10days contracts.
Signing a player until the end of the season for the min would cost about $200K.
There is no problem for Spurs to sign 2 or 3 players in addition to the 12 players they still have under contract.

Seventyniner
02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Spurs are $985K below the tax including Novak 2 10days contracts.
Signing a player until the end of the season for the min would cost about $200K.
There is no problem for Spurs to sign 2 or 3 players in addition to the 12 players they still have under contract.

So the problem is that Brewer may want more than the minimum? Bibby might use money as a tiebreaker as well, considering he gave up $6 million.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
He's an overrated defender, but he's still good in that regard, good size and energy..his offense is atrocious though, so I'm not sure how he would fit on this team, since the increase in offensive ability has been the staple to the Spurs' success, this season..

Nevertheless, I would still be content if the Spurs can sign him, he gives the team a dimension that they don't have on this team..it wouldn't hurt at all to have him in a potential Tony Allen role, I suppose..

Even if he's been, at best, an average defender, keep in mind he's been on crappy teams. It's very possible that he's also not had great coaching. All that could change under Pop and under the Spurs culture.

Remember, Bowen was a committed defender when he was with both Miami and Boston, but it was during his tenure in S.A. where he really, really blossomed.

With the skillset, potential and upside this kid has, he's more than worth the risk.

itzsoweezee
02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm betting he reunites with Noah and goes to Chicago.

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Even if he's been, at best, an average defender, keep in mind he's been on crappy teams. It's very possible that he's also not had great coaching. All that could change under Pop and under the Spurs culture.

Remember, Bowen was a committed defender when he was with both Miami and Boston, but it was during his tenure in S.A. where he really, really blossomed.

With the skillset, potential and upside this kid has, he's more than worth the risk.

And most likely and precisely the reason they are going after him.
But now they are reportedly also going after Bibby too.

Shank
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
So, the Mavs "hoard" all the players and you guys are clamoring for your Spurs to sign every FA under the sun. The hypocrisy here knows no bounds.

Dex
02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
If the Spurs aren't willing to spen money they might as well not go after him.

This.

Mark Cuban is going to open the wallet for this guy if he wants him. From what I understand, the Spurs can't even match what Dallas can offer, but they have to be willing to at least try.

I know this Spurs team is good and all, but with all the other moves being made, I'm under the opinion that standing pat may not be a good idea if you can avoid it. Especially with the latest string of injuries, another wing player like Brewer or Butler would definitely fill the growing need for a stop-gap, if nothing else.

Bruno
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
If the Spurs aren't willing to spen money they might as well not go after him.

Something like 95% of the players bought out before the March 1st deadline are then signed for the min. Signing them for more than the min, like Spurs did with Gooden, is the exception.

jjktkk
02-28-2011, 10:18 PM
So, the Mavs "hoard" all the players and you guys are clamoring for your Spurs to sign every FA under the sun. The hypocrisy here knows no bounds.

This is the Spurs forum , just go downstairs and you might feel alittle better. :lol

Em-City
02-28-2011, 10:28 PM
hahaha @coreybrewer22 is getting spammed!

love it.

Spurologist
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Decent offensive player who plays hard...an athletic wing defender wouldn't hurt

ElNono
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM

In McDonalds defense, he got that from a tweet from the 48MOH guys...

ElNono
02-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Actually, I take that back... it was McDonald twittering the wrong info to the 48MOH guys

Em-City
02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
hahaha @coreybrewer22 is getting spammed!

love it.

i think Aliguy1370 went a bit overboard tho :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
02-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Please let this happen.

Dex
02-28-2011, 10:39 PM
And here I thought the endless speculation was gone with the trade deadline...

rayray2k8
02-28-2011, 10:46 PM

shorttotry
02-28-2011, 10:53 PM
I think after a two hour session with POP he'd be a perfect addition the team!

tdunk21
02-28-2011, 10:54 PM

lol......

Libri
02-28-2011, 10:54 PM

Spurs fans coming out in full force. :lol

DesignatedT
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
spurs fans doing their part :lol

Spurologist
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM

I love the SpursTalk invasion

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 10:59 PM
He was the 7th pick of the 2007 Draft.
How can someone drafted that high have a lousy offensive game?

ElNono
02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
(Ring, Ring)

Corey: Hello?
Pop: Hi Corey! This is Pop. We've a very enticing offer for you...
Corey: Oh, yeah?
Pop: Yes, if you sign for the vet min with us, we'll give you outstanding seating in all our games. You can even join the huddle and listen to me. You would be getting paid to watch the best team...(click)

coyotes_geek
02-28-2011, 11:06 PM
He was the 7th pick of the 2007 Draft.
How can someone drafted that high have a lousy offensive game?

http://www.slamdunkcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/kevin-mchale-48b.jpg

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 11:07 PM
(Ring, Ring)

Corey: Hello?
Pop: Hi Corey! This is Pop. We've a very enticing offer for you...
Corey: Oh, yeah?
Pop: Yes, if you sign for the vet min with us, we'll give you outstanding seating in all our games. You can even join the huddle and listen to me. You would be getting paid to watch the best team...(click)

Pop: So I guess a blow job is out of the question?

CGD
02-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Just looking at the depth of Mavs/Cs at his position, we have a decent, legit shot at landing him. OKC worries me though bc they probably are eyeing hims as a Green gap filler.

This guy would be great as our pet project for next year too.

jimo2305
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
man i do hop he joins but i think playing behind RJ and/or manu and neal may turn him away.. he's still young

Manufan909
02-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Lol at gabe Rielito, I wonder if he posts here.

SenorSpur
02-28-2011, 11:49 PM
And most likely and precisely the reason they are going after him.
But now they are reportedly also going after Bibby too.

Miami supposedly is Bibby's preferred destination. Seems to be a mutual admiration society between them. As far as I'm concerned, they can have him.

cd98
03-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Bobby sucks. Only point guard I'd consider is Ford. He even has a game similar to Parker's but not as good.

TE
03-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Who is that OCD guy leaving him a bunch of spam? Post on his twitter once not multiple times, he's gonna think SA is full of a bunch of you.

SenorSpur
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/02/28/possible-buyout-candidates-for-the-spurs/

A more likely candidate for the Spurs’ interest is Corey Brewer, who was bought out earlier Monday by the New York Knicks.

Brewer had come to the Knicks in the Carmelo Anthony trade from Minnesota. But it was clear they had little interest in playing him after his arrival.

According to ESPN.com’s Marc Stein, the Spurs are among a group of four teams interested in the 6-foot-8 former Florida swingman. Other teams who reportedly have the most interest include Boston, Dallas and Oklahoma City.

Brewer, 24, is known for his athleticism and defensive smarts, but has never been able to become an efficient scorer in the NBA. Some scouts have compared his skills to “a young Bruce Bowen” when he arrived in San Antonio.

But others have been disappointed that he doesn’t attack the rim enough and settles for too many perimeter shots.

The Spurs will not be able to compete with the Mavericks as Dallas will be able to outbid the Spurs for any player.

The Mavericks did not spend their mid-level exception this summer, leaving the entire $5.76 million available to offer. Spurs spent a chunk on rookie center Tiago Splitter, leaving them with about $1.7 million left.

Also, there are luxury tax issues that would concern the Spurs. The Spurs are about $1.1 million under the tax line. It would be hard to envision them offering anybody any more than that.

Dallas, of course, is already far, far past the luxury tax. The question for Dallas owner Mark Cuban will be how much more does he want to tack on to his tariff bill. Considering the Mavericks have never won an NBA championship, it wouldn’t be out of the question for Cuban to spend exorbitantly for a piece he thinks would help his team win a title.

Em-City
03-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Who is that OCD guy leaving him a bunch of spam? Post on his twitter once not multiple times, he's gonna think SA is full of a bunch of you.

haha this is what i'm sayin'!!!

SequSpur
03-01-2011, 12:52 AM
lmao..you guys are hilarious...

Fpoonsie
03-01-2011, 12:53 AM

Yeah, that was pretty obnoxious.

Undoubtedly, an ST poster.

toki9
03-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Here is an interesting analysis on Brewer:

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/corey-brewer-isnt-answer-for-knicks-need-for-wing-depth/?src=twrhp

Shank
03-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Money + years. Who can offer it right now with labor squabbles likely on the way?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Dallas will go after Corey Brewer because it tactically makes sense. Getting Brewer means the Spurs don't have him.

Ross Parrot
03-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Dallas will go after Corey Brewer because it tactically makes sense. Getting Brewer means the Spurs don't have him.

The bastard!:madrun

Man In Black
03-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Here is an interesting analysis on Brewer:

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/corey-brewer-isnt-answer-for-knicks-need-for-wing-depth/?src=twrhp

This:

That said, there is a reason the Knicks are open to the idea of dealing Brewer — a former No. 7 overall pick who averaged 13 points per game last season — again before the trade deadline. Although the Knicks need to shore up their defense, but a single effort defender on the perimeter isn’t going to solve many problems. Playing Brewer regularly certainly won’t hurt New York on defense, but he has a very limited defensive impact and shouldn’t be expected to do more than stay in front of his man and grab a few steals. He is far from the Bruce Bowen defensive-stopper ideal; New York may not have a more consistently successful perimeter defender on staff, but there’s one glaring concern: Brewer’s competent defense comes with a significant offensive trade-off.

“Three and D” specialists in the Bowen mold are useful in part because they don’t step outside themselves on offense. They spot up in the corner or run the baseline, but only impact the game offensively when gifted the opportunity. Passes out of double-teams, drive-and-kick feeds – these are the mechanisms that allow perimeter defensive specialists to score. Otherwise, such players are nonfactors on offense.

That’s not the case with Brewer, who has posted a significantly higher usage rate than Shane Battier, James Jones, or many of his other perimeter defending contemporaries. Brewer fancies himself a more active participant in the offense, and unfortunately for the Wolves and now the Knicks, that mindset results in a lot of errant jumpers. He doesn’t break even; Brewer is using too many possessions on low-percentage shots, and not making the kind of widespread defensive impact that could balance out his offensive deficit.

Shifty
03-01-2011, 03:00 AM
CoreyBrewer22 (https://twitter.com/#%21/CoreyBrewer22) Corey Brewer

Can't sleep so much going thru my head its tough right now. Thanks to all the people following me for all the support

007nites
03-01-2011, 03:46 AM
I hope we get him. Having a 6'9" guy with long arms at SF position with decent defensive abilities would be great for us. We could use him on Durant/Odom type of players.

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 04:56 AM
get Corey now, front office pls

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 04:56 AM
i wonder what the FO is doing right now

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 04:57 AM
i think if we got Corey and Pryz, its the NBA title

will_spurs
03-01-2011, 05:52 AM
i think if we got Corey and Pryz, its the NBA title

Yeah and if we get Love and Griffin it's a dynasty.

BTW you don't have to make 3 posts in each and every thread you decide to share your intimate knowledge of basketball with us... :rolleyes

dbestpro
03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
While I personally think Dallas would be a good fit and ideal destination, I don't know if Cuban will want to commit money to Corey.

Brewer might get a few minutes at first in Dallas but would get buried at the end of the bench because they do not respect a defensive specialist the way the Spurs do.

Here, just the opposite would happen. He may not see minutes at first, but because of his defense he could get regular minutes by the end of the season.

Having said that it all may be moot as according to The New York Daily News the Knicks have waived Kelenna Azubuike. Azubuike is in the final year of his contract, being paid $3.3 million.

No need to buy out Brewer, now.

TE
03-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Yeah and if we get Love and Griffin it's a dynasty.

BTW you don't have to make 3 posts in each and every thread you decide to share your intimate knowledge of basketball with us... :rolleyes

Be does it for the post count tbh

will_spurs
03-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Be does it for the post count tbh

The resistance is getting organized, though :rollin

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5013113&postcount=236

spursballer21
03-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Didn't he sign with the Knicks already?

will_spurs
03-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Didn't he sign with the Knicks already?

He got traded to the Knicks. He has negotiated a buyout according to Marc Stein (who is as reliable a source as can be). He's free to sign anywhere he pleases.

Agloco
03-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't see why the Spurs would need to sign both. Brewer would get minutes right out of the gate, which would take away the minutes Manu was playing at SF and would free him up to help play PG by committee(with Hill and Quinn) until Parker returns.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Brewer gets some of Manu's minutes and some of Dicky J's if he's playing like ass. Manu plays more point until TP gets right.

Agloco
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Having said that it all may be moot as according to The New York Daily News the Knicks have waived Kelenna Azubuike. Azubuike is in the final year of his contract, being paid $3.3 million.

No need to buy out Brewer, now.

I thought the Brewer buy-out was a done deal no?

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 09:48 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

Corey Brewer expected to speak to Rick Carlisle, Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers today, league source says. More teams calling free agent too.

dont freak him out pop....get him....

Muser
03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
If there's anyone that can persuade him to come it's pop :tu. Go get him Gregg.

Leetonidas
03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
C'mon Pop, give him a key to the wine cellar

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Shortest phone call ever.

"Corey, Gregg Popovich. How are you doing today?"
"I'm good, just looking forward to-"
"Four rings, bitch."
"Excuse me?"
"Four rings, bitch!"
"I don't have to take this, Doc said that-"
"FOUR RINGS, BITCH!!!"
"Where do I sign, sir?"

Budkin
03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
CIA in full effect today!

spursballer21
03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
My bad. Sorry about that. Well, why didn't the Knicks keep him?

Agloco
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
My bad. Sorry about that. Well, why didn't the Knicks keep him?

He doesn't really fit in with their offensive schemes. They need corner 3 ballers and he definitely doesn't fit the mold.

VI_Massive
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Rumor has it Pop is guaranteeing him 2 bad jumpers per game before he gets benched. I wonder if Doc will go as high as 3....

silverblk mystix
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I hate to say this, but Doc Rivers is probably a much better salesman than Pop or Carlisle...

Doc is still youthful and can relate to young players and sell them on all that Celtic mystique, teammate loyalty, rah-rah shit,etc....

Pop is so straightforward that any prospect might just WANT to be reassured and stroked...and Pop won't play that shit...he'll tell him there are no promises, no assurances,etc...

Doc will probably go the opposite way, get on his knees, promise playing time,etc...

Bito Corleone
03-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I hate to say this, but Doc Rivers is probably a much better salesman than Pop or Carlisle...

This is true, but the Spurs also have plenty of minutes to throw his way. Anderson is still getting integrated back into the line-up and even still at 6'5" is more suited to play the 2. Basically Brewer is RJ's first back-up off the bench. The Spurs are as much a contender as Dallas or Boston, and the Spurs will offer him similar money and more minutes. I like the Spurs' chances.

cd98
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Boston can't pay him much and he has to play behind Green and Pierce. So I don't think Boston has a compelling argument, unless he wants to play in the eastern conference.

Spurs and Dallas make the most sense and he can make the most money while enjoying playing time on contenders. I think he may actually hurt Dallas's offense because they don't have good enough shooters to compensate for him being on the floor. The Spurs, however, do have more scorers they can put around him. So if he goes to Dallas, I'm not as worried.

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
dallas has more money and less minutes to offer
boston has less money and less minutes to offer
spurs have less money and MORE minutes to offer

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't understand why Dallas wants him at all. They are covered at SF with better scorers than Brewer, and they want Pavlovic back too. What gives? Are they doing it just to keep him off the Spurs?

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't understand why Dallas wants him at all. They are covered at SF with better scorers than Brewer, and they want Pavlovic back too. What gives? Are they doing it just to keep him off the Spurs?

they dont want us to get better by adding him....cuban is an asshole

silverblk mystix
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
This is true, but the Spurs also have plenty of minutes to throw his way. Anderson is still getting integrated back into the line-up and even still at 6'5" is more suited to play the 2. Basically Brewer is RJ's first back-up off the bench. The Spurs are as much a contender as Dallas or Boston, and the Spurs will offer him similar money and more minutes. I like the Spurs' chances.

I hope you are right and I hope he is a reasonable person and sees this, but somehow, I am reminded of how the Celtics pursued and signed Rasheed with a nice sales job and players always WANT TO BE WANTED!

Shifty
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Too bad the kidnapping deadline (http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/video/knicks-abduct-tony-parker-just-before-nba-kidnappi,19172/) has already passed, otherwise he would be a Spur already :D

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
No! Really?

got u....u r being sarcastic...

will_spurs
03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Blue text is sarcasm.

This was supposed to be a secret.

Bruno
03-01-2011, 11:11 AM
After the Perkins/Green trade, Celtics will have a hard time convincing Brewer that there are minutes available for him.

Mavs are Spurs more serious rival for Brewer.

ohmwrecker
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
@WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/WojYahooNBA) Adrian Wojnarowski

Corey Brewer expected to speak to Rick Carlisle, Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers today, league source says. More teams calling free agent too.

lefty
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM

1 page late :lol

JR3
03-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Go Get him Pop! I think the spurs have 50% shot at him.

ohmwrecker
03-01-2011, 11:24 AM
1 page late :lol

Oops!

coyotes_geek
03-01-2011, 11:29 AM

I think so. Given how close the Spurs are to the luxury tax Cuban may just be trying to drive the price up to see if the Spurs will back down.

Phillip
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Brewer would probably start for the Mavs. They need a long, athletic defender in the starting unit, who is also willing to score buckets by cuts and slashing, not just shooting.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
03-01-2011, 11:33 AM

It's hilarious how, if the Spurs were about to play the Mavericks, all you guys would be talking about is what a couple of old, shitty chokers Peja and Marion are at SF, and how losing Butler was crippling, and how the Mavs will have no answer for RJ.

But, when it's a fight for the same player, suddenly y'alls opinion turns into "The Mavs are fucking STACKED at SF why would he want to go there?????"

SenorSpur
03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Brewer would probably start for the Mavs. They need a long, athletic defender in the starting unit, who is also willing to score buckets by cuts and slashing, not just shooting.

Rumor has it that the Mavs are indeed selling Brewer on a starting job.

Apparently, he's yet to meet with the Spurs.

That said, it's probably best that we temper our expectations of him coming to the Spurs.

Shifty
03-01-2011, 11:38 AM

It's hilarious how, if the Spurs were about to play the Mavericks, all you guys would be talking about is what a couple of old, shitty chokers Peja and Marion are at SF, and how losing Butler was crippling, and how the Mavs will have no answer for RJ.

But, when it's a fight for the same player, suddenly y'alls opinion turns into "The Mavs are fucking STACKED at SF why would he want to go there?????"

You are probably right, but we wouldn't be wrong either. The "stacked" label is being used considering the number of players not the quality of them. They have enough players in that position right now and if you believe Butler will comeback for the playoffs, they would be literally 0 minutes for him to play there.

The Spurs on the contrary, have only 1 wing player above 6'6 and although minutes are far from guaranteed in any Spur team, the spot is his for the taking. Specially in some matchups.

JR3
03-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Hopefully Brewer is not an idiot and thinks he will be the starter when Butler comes back for the playoffs.

Phillip
03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Rumor has it that the Mavs are indeed selling Brewer on a starting job.

Apparently, he's yet to meet with the Spurs.

That said, it's probably best that we temper our expectations of him coming to the Spurs.

Yeah, truth is he probably has most opportunity for both minutes and most money with the Mavs. I really would be suprised if he went to the Spurs. The only team I am (or was) worried about him going to was Boston, but I don't think he will because they don't have much room for him now that they have both Pierce and Jeff Green.

Cry Havoc
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM

It's simple. They're loaded at SF by comparison. If Brewer wants minutes, he's going to have to fight for them in a Dallas system that is already much better known by two players. The Spurs have RJ and James Anderson, who might be playing more of the 2 until Tony gets back.

Cry Havoc
03-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, truth is he probably has most opportunity for both minutes and most money with the Mavs. I really would be suprised if he went to the Spurs. The only team I am (or was) worried about him going to was Boston, but I don't think he will because they don't have much room for him now that they have both Pierce and Jeff Green.

Amazing how $88,000,000 a season isn't enough to get solid players for the Mavs.

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Can't believe the Mavs are screwing us again!
They have enough SF as it is.
Whenever the Spurs want a player, the Mavs always decide they want him too and because Cuban can pay lux tax money as if it means nothing, he gets what he wants!
I'll be glad when the Lakers knock that team out of the playoffs!

Phillip
03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
:cry :cry :cry

Phillip
Can't believe the Mavs are screwing us again!
They have enough SF as it is.
Whenever the Spurs want a player, the Mavs always decide they want him too and because Cuban can pay lux tax money as if it means nothing, he gets what he wants!
I'll be glad when the Lakers knock that team out of the playoffs!

or maybe the Mavs are pursuing because they simply want to get a defensive minded wing player, because they need someone like that to replace Butler you fucking moron.

VI_Massive
On one hand it's hard to imagine Dallas wanting more defense on the wings. On the other, wow their defense could be fantastic with two 7 footers and a 6'9" small forward and that zone.

It's just hard to imagine they really want to play him heavy minutes when they already struggle to score. Maybe they think Kidd can get him the ball in the right places to slash to the rim, run on the break, etc.

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
or maybe the Mavs are pursuing because they simply want to get a defensive minded wing player, because they need someone like that to replace Butler you fucking moron.

You're calling me a fucking moron, you idiotic fucking bastard?
Fuck you and the horse you rode in on!
Count your championship rings the next time you address a Spurs fan, bastard!

Marcus Bryant
03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Pop doesn't do guarantees, while the other charlatans will probably do so.

In general, Pop's no bullshit approach has attracted the right fits for his system.

dougp
03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
With Murphy going to the Celtics, I wonder if that fully removes them from the list?

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM

In general, Pop's no bullshit approach has attracted the right fits for his system.

That pretty much says it all.
If Brewer is smart he'll see the Mavs offer for what it is and decide to sign with a quality team with a quality coach and quality players, the Spurs, and not with those pretender Mavs.
But he won't get the BS or backstabbing that the Mavs always give.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
With Murphy going to the Celtics, I wonder if that fully removes them from the list?I think they still have room for one or two players.

VI_Massive
03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
That pretty much says it all.
If Brewer is smart he'll see the Mavs offer for what it is and decide to sign with a quality team with a quality coach and quality players, the Spurs, and not with those pretender Mavs.
But he won't get the BS or backstabbing that the Mavs always give.

Pop can certainly guarantee the opportunity for minutes, and hopefully Brewer realizes the gaping hole at back up 3.

Also, we're all begging for Brewer but you know what'll happen if we get him? He'll play lots of..............power forward!

Shifty
With Murphy going to the Celtics, I wonder if that fully removes them from the list?
It seems it does, but you never know. They are stacked on bigs but they have "only" 2 SF.

Celtics frontline
Oneal-Oneal-Kristic-Johnsonreports)
KG-Big Baby-Murphy-Powe (not confirmed yet, only according to
Pierce-Green

They need a PG far more than a SF, that for sure.

Obstructed_View

Hey, MB! Nice to see you bringing the wisdom. :toast

Agreed. Pop getting a chance to talk to him is all we can ask. If he's a Spurs type player, he'll be here.

VI_Massive
03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
You hope this doesn't come down to something as simple as "The Mavs told me I'll start", but it just might.

dirkdirkastan
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Christmas with the big head... How dare a fan from another team talk commonsense to a spurs fan without kissing her feet. Classic butthurt fan.

Shank
03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
The Mavs struggle to score?

Whatever happens with Brewer, I don't want the fucking Lakers to jump into the mix.

coyotes_geek
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
If the mavs are serious about Brewer, they should just claim him off of waivers. They've got a TE big enough to use for the waiver claim. The Spurs, Celts and Thunder don't, so they can't make a claim. Sure it would cost the mavs more, but it completely eliminates any chance of Brewer ending up in a different uniform come playoff time.

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Christmas with the big head... How dare a fan from another team talk commonsense to a spurs fan without kissing her feet. Classic butthurt fan.

Nope, just the simple facts, folks, and the facts speak for themselves over the years, more so than anything I could ever say.
Can't help it if you and other Mavs fans are just too blind to see it for yourselves.
Hopefully Brewer has enough good sense to realize the truth that the Spurs are his best bet.

cutewizard
how about Pryzbilla?

can we get him??

Sisk

This X 1,018,957

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
if Brewer is a smart kid, he will elect to play with us...............

if................

Muser
03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
The Mavs struggle to score?

Whatever happens with Brewer, I don't want the fucking Lakers to jump into the mix.

That would definitely be game over for the west. :depressed

SenorSpur
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
According to ESPN's Mark Stein, Brewer is still talking to teams, as of now. Says he's "tired of losing" and that he defintely "wants to play on a team where games count." Stein also indicated that some other unnamed teams may decide to jump into the bidding fray for his services. However the top contenders have the best shot at landing him.

It may take a bit to sort through all this.

Phillip
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM

oooh good one

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I can't help but think that regardless of all the BS Brewer is going to get from teams like the Mavs, that he won't jump at the chance to play under Pop with Manu, TP, and especially Timmy.
It is widely known that the Spurs have the best organization in all of professional sports envied by none other than pretenders like the Mavs.
Ask Finley or Barry or even Dyess?

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
According to ESPN's Mark Stein, Brewer is still talking to teams, as of now. Says he's "tired of losing" and that he defintely "wants to play on a team where games count." Stein also indicated that some other unnamed teams may decide to jump into the bidding fray for his services. However the top contenders have the best shot at landing him.

It may take a bit to sort through all this.

so that rules out dallas.....:lol