PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the Tiger

Calispursfan11
02-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi Folks,

This is my first post here.

I have been a loyal Spurs fan since the mid 90s, and throughout the disaster 96-97 season where Drob went down before the auspicious selection of Tim Duncan the following year. During that dabacle season, I seem to recall the go-to players being an overweight and over the hill Dominique Wilkins, Carl Herrera (remember him?) and Vinny Del Negro. It was painful to watch, but at least they were good guys, and thats why I rooted for them even without Drob. It was difficult being a Spurs fan in California and I suffered many a sideways stare for it. But I pressed on because there was no better team to root for. The Spurs are made up of good guys to this day, but that is where the parallels between then and now end.

I have loyally watched this team throughout the years and have seen its struggles and triumphs. I have been cautiously optimistic about the stellar record this year meaning something other than just a record, but have refrained from being convinced this is something special until now. After watching almost every game they have played this year on TV from afar, this team is a whole new breed of Spurs. Without trying to be corny, they are playing "the right way." To tell you the truth, while it's clear they are on a mission this year, I don't think they have even turned it on yet. There is no denying that this team has the Eye of the Tiger.

Gary Neal has proven to be an unbelievable steal at this point. He is probably five times better than anyone imagined.

People make a big deal about Blair's lack of height, but he has the wingspan of a 7 footer. Would you rather have blair's 7 ft wingspan or Bosh's 6-8 wingspan with the ostrich neck? Point being, absolute height, while important is not everything. Additionally, Blair is very agile, which is an advantage against taller bigs and he continues to improve.

Bonner's confidence has soared this year and he is able to open up the lanes by extending the defense with his 3.

It goes without saying that the big 3 are still able to fill it up when necessary, not to mention healthy.

Most importantly, however, the team chemistry is something special. The Spurs' good guy-ness allows them to work in harmony to achieve a mutual goal. As nice as they have been to each other in the past, there is probably no team with nicer guys than this year's team.

Overall, this year's Spurs may have more problems with the athletic and long teams than with other teams, but have been beating just about everyone regardless. Take it from someone who has watched them for over 15 years in spite all of the Spurs hate and Laker love here in California. I believe that this year, the Spurs' professionalism, chemistry and health will be rewarded with their 5th ring. Eye of the Tiger! Go Spurs Go!

ElNono
02-28-2011, 11:22 PM
sup BUMP

TE
03-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Geez, trolls nowadays have no life.

SpursRulez4eVeR
03-01-2011, 12:18 AM
hi,

tl;dl

Em-City
03-01-2011, 12:58 AM
there's not enough corey brewer in this thread

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 01:33 AM
I think they're the best around, and nothing's gonna ever keep them down.

spurs10
03-01-2011, 01:52 AM
No doubt we have a special bunch here. With Tony out for awhile, it's time for our depth and character to come into play.

spurs_philippines
03-01-2011, 02:40 AM
welcome to the home of the champions

Ross Parrot
03-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Hi there! Spurs fan in Cali too since 2004! I hope to see them play one day!!

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 03:40 AM
go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 03:40 AM
we ask that life be kind................

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 03:42 AM
be kind to the Spurs of San Anton..............

cutewizard
03-01-2011, 03:42 AM
for injuries galore now suffuse our beloved team

Mal
03-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Why he has V-money !!

Calispursfan11
03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. Didn't mean to offend with the long post. I guess I was just excited to finally get out of that activation queue and into the forum. Also, great Karate Kid reference!

ata
03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Totaly OT: sorry just can't help myself
_wJrNjpyWRk

Calispursfan11
03-01-2011, 04:14 PM
That's a great vid. So bad that it's good.