PDA

View Full Version : Troy Murphy should be our priority...

ElNono
02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
If Ginger goes down, who's going to stretch the floor for TP, Manu and TD?

xmas1997
02-28-2011, 11:36 PM
How about Brewer and Murphy?

Blackjack
02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01qqeRp8Ngc6U/220x.jpg

Silly 'Nono . . .

Big P
02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
A condition of his buyout said he had to sign in the East...we are s.o.l. as far as t murphy goes.

ElNono
02-28-2011, 11:50 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01qqeRp8Ngc6U/220x.jpg

Silly 'Nono . . .

Who's that? Novak?

DespЏrado
02-28-2011, 11:51 PM
A condition of his buyout said he had to sign in the East...we are s.o.l. as far as t murphy goes.

Something like that would probably never stand a court challenge.

Blackjack
03-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Who's that? Novak?

Well, yeah. You don't recognize a savior when you see one?

spursbird
03-01-2011, 12:04 AM
We don't need another Ginger, thanks.

ChuckD
03-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Something like that would probably never stand a court challenge.

If it's a written agreement (and I'm sure it is) and he signs it to get the money, I think it most certainly would stand up in court.

Stupidity by GS if this is true. He will almost certainly only sign for the remainder of the year since almost no one has money, and GS isn't going anywhere. You would really only do this if you're a playoff team and don't want to see him there in your conference.

ElNono
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Well, yeah. You don't recognize a savior when you see one?

Do you think he survives his 2nd 10 day contract?

crc21209
03-01-2011, 12:38 AM
We all know Bibby & Murphy are headed to the Heat, no point in trying....

Blackjack
03-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Do you think he survives his 2nd 10 day contract?

Well, he's a savior. So I wouldn't doubt him being resurrected somehow, someway. :downspin:

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 01:30 AM

What? The NBA wouldn't allow that. Besides, the Warriors are 6 games out of 8th place; I'm not sure how they care where he goes.

ElNono
03-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Well, he's a savior. So I wouldn't doubt him being resurrected somehow, someway. :downspin:

I'll be sure to wish him good luck once his contract is up in the next few days...

Blackjack
03-01-2011, 01:59 AM
I'll be sure to wish him good luck once his contract is up in the next few days...

Good idea. Don't wanna go burning bridges, not with guys that rise from the dead and whatnot.

Saviors gots to be respected.

EricB
03-01-2011, 02:25 AM
If it was the Troy Murphy of his double double days I'd be down 100%.

He's just not that good anymore.

chazley
03-01-2011, 05:05 AM

The dude can still play. Avery and him obviously just never saw eye to eye.

It would've been an excellent signing if the Spurs could've gotten him.

m33p0
03-01-2011, 05:14 AM
him and bibby are taking their talents to south beach.

dbestpro
03-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Bibby and Murphy are nice names, but there is a reason their teams got rid of them. Every player at some point hits that end of the career skid. It becomes most apparent when they can no longer play effective defense. Both might do well for a couple of games, but when mother nature takes over they won't be any better than what Miami already has sitting on the bench. Besides, how can a PG be effective in Miami when he won't see the ball?

angelbelow
03-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Hes half a season removed from putting up double doubles. Dont think hes fallen off that quickly. Anyway, probably a pipe dream.

Em-City
03-01-2011, 07:50 AM
only kind of big man we need is a second shot blocker. :shrug:

Big P
03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Gotta go to work, but I found this from the San Jose news on Google..

Breaking news: Warriors buy out Troy Murphy (and why it’s a wise move)

Posted by Tim Kawakami on February 27th, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Categorized as NBA, Warriors

* Important late clarification: Murphy has more time to pick a new team than I first wrote.

Players must be WAIVED by Tuesday in order to be playoff-eligible for a new team. But there is a later deadline for signing with a new team. Key point: You cannot be on one team’s roster March 1 and then participate in the playoffs with another.

-The Warriors have reached a buy-out agreement with Troy Murphy that will pay him less than 100% of his remaining salary, according to multiple sources.

Murphy must sign with a new team had to be waived before Tuesday to remain eligible for a playoff roster on a new team. CLARIFICATION: There is a later deadline for signing with a new team.

The two clear leaders for him are Miami and Boston, who both already are campaigning for a deal.

As insisted by Warriors owner Joe Lacob, one source said, Murphy agreed to sign only with an Eastern Conference team. (Portland is one Western team that showed interest.)

The buy-out deal was struck today, during a long, productive conversation between team owner Lacob an power-agent Dan Fegan. (The generally cordial tone of the conversation was confirmed by sources on both sides.)

Fegan and Murphy argued that, before trading Murphy to the Warriors, New Jersey agreed to pay him 100% in any buy-out, which is a promise they wanted Lacob to uphold.

But Lacob held the line and, according to one source, said that the Warriors’ intent was to flip Murphy to another team–believed to be Cleveland, for Antawn Jamison and a draft pick. When that trade did not happen at Thursday’s deadline, Murphy and the Warriors were at loggerheads on the buy-out terms.

Until today.

Exact details of the agreement were not available, but it is believed that the percentage subtracted by the Warriors will correspond relatively to the pro-rated salary Murphy can be expected to receive from his next team.

Murphy won’t make as money in this as he could’ve (when you’re bought out for 100%, everything else you sign for is extra money), but he won’t lose money, either.

–What do the Warriors gain by letting Murphy sign with a championship contending team instead of forcing him to report and becoming ineligible to play in the playoffs for any team except the Warriors?

Plenty.

1) Lacob saves the money he negotiated down from Murphy’s $11.9M salary–possibly about $275,000.

(That’s the approximate pro-rated amount Murphy will receive on a veteran’s minimum deal from Boston or Miami–this is MY math, not my sources’, so it could be a little off).

2) If he had forced Murphy to report to the Warriors–his old team, with which he did not leave under happy circumstances–Lacob could have badly upset the chemistry of the locker room for not much basketball gain.

The team is not playing well, but all season, the locker room has been a happy, healthy place, which you could not say about many Warriors’ locker rooms over the years.

3) Possibly most importantly, by coming to a negotiated agreement with Fegan, Lacob steered away from the old Wariors way of needless confrontation with power-agents.

Particularly with Fegan.

For example: Among his wide array of NBA clients, Fegan has Denver center Nene coming up as a potential free agent this summer–an odds-on potential target for the Warriors. (It would almost certainly have to be via sign-and-trade.)

Lacob, in his first year as owner, certainly must know that he’d like to do business with Fegan in the future. It’s smart to enter discussions with an agent like Fegan, not caving, but still coming to an amicable compromise.

This helps business.

It was foolish of Robert Rowell and Chris Cohan to jump into battle with Fegan in years past–specifically when Rowell apparently coaxed Stephen Jackson to deal directly with him and remove Fegan fire RowellOOPSandthankstocommenters before agreeing to a $28M extension with the Warriors.

Teams gain very little from crossing powerful agents. Especially teams that need to add talent, not push it away.

Of course, this does not guarantee anything for the Warriors in the future concerning Fegan clients.

But going to war with him guarantees that you will have very limited access to his client list. Which is precisely the wrong way to do business, and the buy-out deal with Murphy is a savvy acknowledgment of that.

Plus it saved Lacob some money, at the same time.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2011, 12:13 PM
As insisted by Warriors owner Joe Lacob, one source said, Murphy agreed to sign only with an Eastern Conference team. I doubt that could be anything more than a gentlemen's agreement, but as such it's believable -- and stupid.

toki9
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Gone to Boston, per ESPN

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ

Troy Murphy HIMSELF confirms to ESPN.com that he is going to Boston. B-O-S-T-O-N

GOSPURS733
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NBA/777.jpg
Free agent Troy Murphy will sign with the Celtics, according to ESPN's Marc Stein.

Yahoo's Marc Spears reported that Murphy was signing with the Heat, but Stein says Murphy told him personally that Boston is the choice. The Celtics certainly have room for big minutes up front with Kendrick Perkins gone and both O'Neals hobbled, but Murphy hasn't really played since December. His 3-point/rebound upside is worth a speculative add while we see how Doc Rivers wants to play this and what kind of shape Murphy is in.

Muser
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Thank god for that.

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Thank god for that.

:lol

spurtech09
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Looks like murphy to boston and mike bibby to the heat...heat to waive arroyo?.....how bout arroyo in a spurs uniform?