PDA

View Full Version : Were the Spurs cheap by waiving Temple?

kaji157
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I mean, i liked the guy from the moment he stepped here last year.
He provided a good spark during the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Unlucky for him, he started the year with an injury, and took long for him to come back. But why waive him if he really wasnīt going to see much time anyway and you could have trained a guy who can back up 3 positions, and which his main skill is defense?

I know that his contract became fully guaranteed if we have kept him, but come on... His contract was microscophic and it was fair enough for a player that at this point could back you up at 3 positions and already have a year of experience in the team.

Granted, he is maybe a borderline NBA player, and he is half PG/SG/SF. But he more than makes up with his defense and 3pt shooting.
What does Quinn provide that Temple didnīt?

This is where playing it cheap doesnīt help the big 3 at all.

EricB
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
he was waived because he stunk.....

ChumpDumper
03-01-2011, 01:47 PM
he is maybe a borderline NBA player[/thread]

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Nobody's scooped him up yet, and that includes the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
It's not like the Spurs couldn't get him back, like, right now.

Luxic
03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Spurs Mailbag (November 2010)
http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_1011.html

He performed last year better than he did this preseason and season for some reason. We thought we needed to move on with other people. He is still the same great kid, he worked his fanny off but it just didn't produce for him and we felt it was better for us to give him an opportunity to hook up with somebody else instead of sitting there and not playing. Because somebody like Garrett needs to play to continue to improve. Hopefully he'll get picked up by someone and down the road he'll be a good player, he's just not ready quite yet.

hater
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
nah, he sucked

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
What does Quinn provide that Temple didnīt?

This is where playing it cheap doesnīt help the big 3 at all.

The money that would have been spent on Temple has been spent on Quinn. You can criticize the choice that was made, but the money was spent.

ace3g
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
From @m_monroe_in_sa: Pop says Spurs looking at potential signees, calls Garrett Temple "very interesting name for us." http://bit.ly/eZyyA4

Rummpd
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
The hating on Quinn is unjust, Quinn is not that talented but plays hard and does not make stupid mistakes and I would not be surprised at all if he gave the Spurs 10 effective min a night while Parker is out.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
The hating on Quinn is unjust, Quinn is not that talented but plays hard and does not make stupid mistakes and I would not be surprised at all if he gave the Spurs 10 effective min a night while Parker is out.

There was Quinn hating? The bold part is exactly why he's on the team and Temple is not.

EricB
03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
There was Quinn hating? The bold part is exactly why he's on the team and Temple is not.

I think he means hating = "Temple is way better than quinn" Which is the jist of what the OP said.

dunkman
03-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Temple regressed in his second season with the Spurs. The Spurs were patient with him, they shipped Jerrels first, they found Quinn later who's serviceable NBA PG. Temple sucked big time in his second season.

elemento
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Temple regressed a lot.

He got hurt in the summer league and after that played like shit. Everyone seems to hate Quinn but for a 3rd string PG he is ok IMO. The problem in our team is that our backup PG is much more a SG than a PG.

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Temple was just flat out not very good because everyone was pulling for him even the coaching staff.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Temple was just flat out not very good because everyone was pulling for him even the coaching staff.

I think you mean "despite" and not "because". Getting support of the entire organization was pretty good for Gary Neal.