PDA

View Full Version : Popovich when looking at potential FA signing nominees calls....

EricB
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Garret Temple a "Very interesting name for us"

:wtf

EricB
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
follows up with "I doubt there will be any names we'd be willing to play ahead of the people who have been playing and gotten you where you're at"

Dr Cox
03-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I would llike having temple back

He is better than/as good as Chris Quinn IMO and was just coming off an injury

If we dont get Brewer bring him in!

rjv
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
follows up with "I doubt there will be any names we'd be willing to play ahead of the people who have been playing and gotten you where you're at"

CIA pop or legit pop saying that anderson is back and neal has been outstanding ?

Cane
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
He helped last season during the Spurs stretch run when Parker was out FWIW. Good hustle, showed he had a corner 3, and was an aggressive player that seemed like a gamer.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
He helped last season during the Spurs stretch run when Parker was out FWIW. Good hustle, showed he had a corner 3, and was an aggressive player that seemed like a gamer.

That was the last time he had a pulse. He had the backup PG spot right there waiting for him in preseason and he was beyond awful.

EricB
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
That was the last time he had a pulse. He had the backup PG spot right there waiting for him in preseason and he was beyond awful.

Yup.

One of the biggest disappointments in quite a while for me.

Cane
03-01-2011, 02:49 PM

He also wasn't 100%; IIRC he was injured in the summer. FWIW Coach Pop also showered him with praise saying things like Temple was his new favorite player. If he's healthy he seems like one of the more likely additions to the roster considering his experience with the system, previous praise, and he's shown he can be a gamer....and he's available.

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Temple makes perfect sense as a late season addition to the team.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Looks like Temple only had one good game on his recent callup to Milwaukee. I guess I'd be ok with trying him again, but I wouldn't expect him to play ahead of Quinn at this point.

Spurs Brazil
03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
“We’re watching the wire and all the names to see if there is anyone who can fit,” Popovich said after the team’s morning practice at FedEx Forum before Tuesday’s game against the Grizzlies.

“It’s pretty late in the year and I doubt there will be any names we’d be willing to play ahead of the people who have been playing and gotten you where you’re at. With that in mind, one has to wonder what the wisdom there is, unless you think there is somebody good enough that they’re going to play ahead of what you have. I don’t know that there is anybody in that category.”

Popovich did not deny a report on YahooSports that he would meet soon with swing man Corey Brewer, available after being bought out of his contract with the Knicks, but did not elaborate.

“We’re watching the wire and all the names to see if there is anyone who can fit,” Popovich said after the team’s morning practice at FedEx Forum before Tuesday’s game against the Grizzlies.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/01/spurs-poring-over-list-of-available-players/

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
He also wasn't 100%; IIRC he was injured in the summer. FWIW Coach Pop also showered him with praise saying things like Temple was his new favorite player. If he's healthy he seems like one of the more likely additions to the roster considering his experience with the system, previous praise, and he's shown he can be a gamer....and he's available.

He sprained his ankle in the first game of summer league, and was held out. That said, he's had ample opportunity to make that up. He was healthy in camp and preseason, and he just absolutely stunk it up. He showed no signs of progress. In fact, he still hasn't improved in the D League this year at all.

Bruno
03-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Quinn will get some minutes with Parker out but if he trully sucks, trying other point guards like Temple would make sense.

Spurs Brazil
03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Quinn will get some minutes with Parker out but if he trully sucks, trying other point guards like Temple would make sense.

Agree, Temple played terrible this season but I think Quinn is worse. At least Temple can play some D

Muser
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Quinn is serviceable while Parker is out. Temple has been god awful this season for both the Spurs in pre-season and the Bucks.

It's a damn shame, he was awesome last year.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
It's not as if the Spurs have historically shied away from signing players who've been bought out around this time of year -- Charlie Ward, Glenn Robinson, and Drew Gooden all immediately come to mind (and, of course, that coincidence of bringing back Brent Barry after he was traded and then bought out).

Clearly, they're not opposed to reaching out to those guys, though one might argue that the historical dividends on those investments haven't necessarily been great.

Marcus Bryant
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
It was a shame that Glenn Robinson didn't work out.

Anyways, yes, the Spurs haven't sat on their hands before, contrary to GW's heirs on this board.

EricB
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
It's not as if the Spurs have historically shied away from signing players who've been bought out around this time of year -- Charlie Ward, Glenn Robinson, and Drew Gooden all immediately come to mind (and, of course, that coincidence of bringing back Brent Barry after he was traded and then bought out).

Clearly, they're not opposed to reaching out to those guys, though one might argue that the historical dividends on those investments haven't necessarily been great.

Its somewhat arguable Glenn robinson worked out.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
It was a shame that Glenn Robinson didn't work out.

As I mentioned in another thread, he helped them win a title. What more could you have wanted from him?

EricB
Agree, Temple played terrible this season but I think Quinn is worse. At least Temple can play some D

WTF, Quinn has been the perfect third point guard all season, and you guys still shit on him?

Good lord.

Bruno

I won't throw Quinn under the bus while he has played mainly garbage time this year. We will see what he will do tonight.

DesignatedT
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Quinn has been good all season long when called upon. Dogging on the guy makes no sense. I feel more confident with Quinn in the game then picking up Temple IMO.

SenorSpur
03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Quinn has not hurt the Spurs at all. He's a decent ball-handler and can shoot the rock. Comparing the Garrett Temple of last year, who was confident, productive and looked like he belonged, to the GT that went through camp, was like night and day.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, he helped them win a title. What more could you have wanted from him?

Yeah I don't get why people say he didn't work out. For a late season acquisition he did extremely well, IMO.

Muser
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
You can't expect your 3rd PG to play great or even average on both sides of the floor. They're not even supposed to see the floor until garbage time.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I think the scouting report on Quinn was something like "He's not really great, but he doesn't make mistakes." He's lived up to every bit of that. As TPark mentioned, he's been the perfect third point guard. If everyone's not harping on that turnover he made two months ago or that bad shot he took once, then he's doing his job. The goal from him is going to be to put in as many minutes as possible with a near zero plus/minus.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
FWIW, my point wasn't to say that you don't get anything by signing guys at this point; my point was that even if Glenn Robinson may have worked out to some degree -- and I tend to think that as a short-term investment he was a good one; I'd argue that the manufactured re-signing of Brent Barry paid off to some degree as well -- the Ward and Gooden signings, as well as the Damon Stoudamire signing in 2008, didn't do much for the Spurs. Hence, my statement that historically, the payoff hasn't always been great.

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I think the scouting report on Quinn was something like "He's not really great, but he doesn't make mistakes." He's lived up to every bit of that. As TPark mentioned, he's been the perfect third point guard. If everyone's not harping on that turnover he made two months ago or that bad shot he took once, then he's doing his job. The goal from him is going to be to put in as many minutes as possible with a near zero plus/minus.

Yes.

The third string point should only play in garbage time or emergencies. He should work for the minimum and always be ready to go into a game. Quinn makes few mistakes and can knock down an open shot.

Quinn has fulfilled his limited role to perfection.

elemento
03-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes.

The third string point should only play in garbage time or emergencies. He should work for the minimum and always be ready to go into a game. Quinn makes few mistakes and can knock down an open shot.

Quinn has fulfilled his limited role to perfection.

Agreed 100%

xmas1997
03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Quinn is adequate for what he does.

Agloco
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Garret Temple a "Very interesting name for us"

:wtf

Interesting has to be one of the most vague terms ever. Pops in full CIA mode here.

jermaine
03-01-2011, 04:19 PM
What did we sign Quinn for if he wasn't going to play when needed?

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
What did we sign Quinn for if he wasn't going to play when needed?

He will play when needed

Solid D
03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Quinn should be able to help the Spurs versus Memphis tonight, moreso if he hits his open shots. Memphis collapses the lane pretty well, so outside shots should be there.

crc21209
03-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I would take Temple back if he reverted back to the solid player of last year and not the player we saw early in training camp and pre-season....

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I would take Temple back if he reverted back to the solid player of last year and not the player we saw early in training camp and pre-season....

Yeah, if he showed much sign of that, he'd have never left or someone else would have scooped him up.

ace3g
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
IraHeatBeat Ira Winderman
by JMcDonald_SAEN
All might not be as grim as it appears for Carlos Arroyo, with a possible lifeline being extended by Spurs in the wake of Parker's injury.

Arroyo better not even be an option!!!!

crc21209
Yeah, if he showed much sign of that, he'd have never left or someone else would have scooped him up.

True...:lol

crc21209
IraHeatBeat Ira Winderman
by JMcDonald_SAEN
All might not be as grim as it appears for Carlos Arroyo, with a possible lifeline being extended by Spurs in the wake of Parker's injury.

Arroyo better not even be an option!!!!

Umm.....

DesignatedT
03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
lol arroyo.

EricB
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Arroyo is garbage. Don't even think about it Damnt...

Spurologist
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Looks like Temple only had one good game on his recent callup to Milwaukee. I guess I'd be ok with trying him again, but I wouldn't expect him to play ahead of Quinn at this point.

that tells me a lot because I just don't see the spurs striving with Quinn getting solid pg minutes

Mel_13
03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
that tells me a lot because I just don't see the spurs striving with Quinn getting solid pg minutes

Thriving?

EricB
03-01-2011, 04:48 PM

You mean like in mid december when he was dropping double digits on the nuggets and others?

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
You mean like in mid december when he was dropping double digits on the nuggets and others?

If you're talking about Chris Quinn, I think you mean "when he scored 10 points against the Grizzlies and nobody else."

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/quinnch01/gamelog/2011/

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
He's the Antibeno!

easjer
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
You can't expect your 3rd PG to play great or even average on both sides of the floor. They're not even supposed to see the floor until garbage time.

Have you met average Spurfan?

Not only does he expect our 3rd PG to be second team All NBA, but he should want to sign here for a penny for the privilege.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Have you met average Spurfan?

Not only does he expect our 3rd PG to be second team All NBA, but he should want to sign here for a penny for the privilege.

Let's not get excessive here, easjer. Hyperbole has it's place, but we're being serious now.

Average Spurfan expects his 3rd PG to be 3rd team All NBA, not 2nd. Sheesh.

Brazil
03-01-2011, 05:29 PM

lol@ your sig... priceless flop :lol

ElNono
03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
You mean we can't sign Deron Williams for 3 weeks? :depressed

ChumpDumper
03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Arroyo is garbage. Don't even think about it Damnt...He is garbage, but we are just talking about a few weeks here.

EricB
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM
He is garbage, but we are just talking about a few weeks here.

Were talking about a PG who has no business being on a championship contender.

Do not sign..

Marcus Bryant
03-01-2011, 06:41 PM
FWIW, my point wasn't to say that you don't get anything by signing guys at this point; my point was that even if Glenn Robinson may have worked out to some degree -- and I tend to think that as a short-term investment he was a good one; I'd argue that the manufactured re-signing of Brent Barry paid off to some degree as well -- the Ward and Gooden signings, as well as the Damon Stoudamire signing in 2008, didn't do much for the Spurs. Hence, my statement that historically, the payoff hasn't always been great.

Yes, usually these late season pickups matter little.

Obstructed_View
03-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Do not sign..

We are talking about a championship contender with one point guard on the roster at the moment. Lay off the hyperbole please.

EricB
03-01-2011, 06:58 PM
We are talking about a championship contender with one point guard on the roster at the moment. Lay off the hyperbole please.

They have 2 point guards.

Hill and Ginobili I consider half a point guard.

What they have is good enough.

TD 21
03-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Arroyo is a better pure PG than Quinn. I'm not a fan, because he's not a good defender or outside shooter (though in fairness, he's shot the three alright this season), but if Quinn can't get the job done in the next couple of games and Parker legitimately is out more than 10 days - 2 weeks, then it might not be a bad idea to sign Arroyo.

The thing is, though, either way we're talking about a fringe type player (Arroyo might be slightly better than that, but not by much) and the role the third PG is likely to play on this team on offense is as a spot up shooter. That being the case, Quinn is the better option. But they could use more of a pure PG type, who can handle and at least somewhat create for others, otherwise too much of that responsibility falls on Ginobili.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Do not sign..Eh, would Quinn?

We're talking about the same role -- and only temporarily.

Not a huge advocate -- would probably consider Daniels first -- but no big deal.