PDA

View Full Version : Pts in the Paint tonight- Mem 62 SA 34

Gregzilla
03-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Once again, HORRIBLE front court play on the defensive end. That is all. Go Spurs Go

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Your proof that the Spurs had a deal on the table to get a big guy but rejected it?

Your proof that the Spurs didn't make inquiries with other teams about trading for a big?

I'll wait . . . .

GrandeDavid
03-01-2011, 11:29 PM
It was grueling seeing my boy Splitts get humiliated like he did. Thankfully he made a couple of lucky t-Rex push shots. But the interior defense was a joke. Embarrassing all the second chance points. I'm sure they'll adjust, though. Now if they pull this soft crap against the Cavs I'll be worried.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
To be fair, the Grizzlies are the best paint scoring team in the NBA, they're ranked #1..they have dominated even the best frontcourts in the NBA, such as LA and Boston..

Gregzilla
03-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Your proof that the Spurs had a deal on the table to get a big guy but rejected it?

Your proof that the Spurs didn't make inquiries with other teams about trading for a big?

I'll wait . . . .

No more proof/example posts ok....i've accepted the fact that the FO chose to pursue guards/wings heavily instead of bigs and now we get butt raped down low, night in and night out. Mark my words AGAIN, this will be the downfall of the spurs this year. Lets pray they do some offseason work this year and get what's really needed for this team.

Hoops Czar
03-01-2011, 11:41 PM
To be fair, the Grizzlies are the best paint scoring team in the NBA, they're ranked #1..they have dominated even the best frontcourts in the NBA, such as LA and Boston..

Blow it out your ass Harlem. The Spurs defense can't stop any team with a from scoring in the paint. Their just not that good and the majority of players aren't capable of playing defense. Then we have Hill who just doesn't care enough to play defense.The Spurs chose offense over defense and it will eventually be the death of them.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Blow it out your ass Harlem. The Spurs defense can't stop any team with a from scoring in the paint. Their just not that good and the majority of players aren't capable of playing defense. Then we have Hill who just doesn't care enough to play defense.The Spurs chose offense over defense and it will eventually be the death of them.

I agree about the Spurs' D, I made a thread about the Spurs' defensive struggles against +.500 teams, last week..I was just pointing out that most teams get outscored by Memphis in the paint..

xellos88330
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Easy to get points in the paint when you are running in transition.

30 points off of turnovers. 27 fast break points for Memphis.

62 points in the paint -19 points scored from transition layups = 43 Points in the paint.

Gregzilla
03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Blair's too small, Bonner is Bonner, Splitter is too raw (even after staying in Europe to GROOM), Duncan is 34...and Dice is 36.. Front court DESPERATELY needs an upgrade for next year...Ship some of these guards out and get some size down low, no homo. We won't have the best record again but we'll sure as hell will be built for a long playoff run.

realtimmyfan
03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
We desperately need a better big to play alongside Timmy.

Look at our frontcourt players.
An undersized 4 who is an above average but not great rebounder (Blair) +
A great 3 pt shooter but severely lacking atheletism (Bonner) +
An inexperienced rookie (Splitter) +
A 36-year-old Vet (McDyess)

The team is just lacking size and atheletism.

Ice009
03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I am starting to think Splitter has stuff all defensive potential and he's wasting his height.

He doesn't jump at all and that's almost useless as it negates his height. Anyone with just a little bit of athleticism just has to jump and shoot over him. There are times when you shouldn't leave you feet, but when you do that every play it's predictable and other teams can adjust if they know you will NEVER jump to try and block a shot.

He can't seem to even jump higher than Tim Duncan who could still out jump him any day of the week at his age.

Gregzilla
03-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Easy to get points in the paint when you are running in transition.

30 points off of turnovers. 27 fast break points for Memphis.

62 points in the paint -19 points scored from transition layups = 43 Points in the paint.

Great, so now we have horrible low post defense AND horrible transition defense?? We're in worst shape than I thought. Cmon bruh, don't skew this

xellos88330
03-01-2011, 11:51 PM
lol skewing the statistics.

If I wanted to skew the statistics, I would have said all of the fast break points were layups. Which would put the the Grizz at only 35 points in the paint.

Using points in the paint as a judgement of lack of size isn't really the right stat to use. I would use blocked shots and rebounding.

Hoops Czar
03-01-2011, 11:52 PM
you're gonna have a coronary, scro...calm down, it's one loss.

How long is this gimmick going to continue? Why don't you actually take a gander at the Spurs schedule and run down the number of quality victories against elite competition. I think you'll find when you eliminate the games where key players were sidelined, NOT MANY. They can't stop SQUAT in the paint with or without Duncan in the game. Oh sure, Duncan gets some token blocks but when you factor in the amount of attempts, its really not that impressive.

xellos88330
03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Great, so now we have horrible low post defense AND horrible transition defense?? We're in worst shape than I thought. Cmon bruh, don't skew this

The transition defense WAS terrible tonight. Mostly due to where the turnovers mostly occured (top of the key and the elbows) pretty much guaranteed numbers for the team running in transition.

Low post rebounding was the real issue. The ball seemed to be tipped by one of the Grizzlies. That being said, the Spurs weren't completely killed on the glass surprisingly.

Gregzilla
03-02-2011, 12:00 AM
If I wanted to skew the statistics, I would have said all of the fast break points were layups. Which would put the the Grizz at only 35 points in the paint.

Using points in the paint as a judgement of lack of size isn't really the right stat to use. I would use blocked shots and rebounding.

I understand your point completely..BUT the paint is the closest area to basket. By not being able to contain that area the spurs are going to CONSTANTLY be in a battle with sub par teams and elite teams. No matter which way you slice it, giving up pts in the paint may be the WORST thing any team can do..it makes it so much easier for other teams and makes us look like pussies

Hoops Czar
03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Every team has their faults, spurs with less than others. Besides, nobody out west can beat us in the playoffs this year.

How do you come to this conclusion?

ElNono
03-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Tony is one of the top scorers in the paint... no doubt you'll see a dip in the differential there... that said, poor rebounding and 2nd chance points have been an issue on this team dating back to last season.

xellos88330
03-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I understand your point completely..BUT the paint is the closest area to basket. By not being able to contain that area the spurs are going to CONSTANTLY be in a battle with sub par teams and elite teams. No matter which way you slice it, giving up pts in the paint may be the WORST thing any team can do..it makes it so much easier for other teams and makes us look like pussies

Of course giving up points in the paint is bad. I am not saying that it isn't. I am just saying that a good portion of the points in the paint were scored in transition. If the Spurs had cut down those turnovers, the points in the paint wouldn't be nearly as one sided. If the Grizzlies had 62 points in the paint and they did it exclusively in the half court set, then I would agree with you that size is an issue.

xellos88330
03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
we got sodomized in the paint tonight, case-closed

Overall, yup. Half court, not so much.

DPG21920
03-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Memphis matches up well w SA. Especially with Rudy back. They have 0 fear of the spurs.

Hoops Czar
03-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Memphis matches up well w SA. Especially with Rudy back. They have 0 fear of the spurs.

Thats funny because their isn't a team in the league that fears the Spurs.

Gregzilla
03-02-2011, 12:25 AM

Them, as well as the rest of the league

crc21209
03-02-2011, 12:25 AM

This. Memphis is just one of those teams that matches up very well with the Spurs and can beat the Spurs on any given night. Just a bad, bad matchup....

Gregzilla
03-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Of course giving up points in the paint is bad. I am not saying that it isn't. I am just saying that a good portion of the points in the paint were scored in transition. If the Spurs had cut down those turnovers, the points in the paint wouldn't be nearly as one sided. If the Grizzlies had 62 points in the paint and they did it exclusively in the half court set, then I would agree with you that size is an issue.

For this game then yeah you're 100% correct. If they didn't turn it over then memphis wouldn't have run out and scored in transition/paint. Although did they score ALL their trans points in the paint? Like no 3's or mid range jumpshots or fouls/ft's ? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking...Aside from that, you said "half court set"...with OKC, Dallas, LA, Boston, Miami, Orlando, and Chicago being in the way of our title, are you confident with our interior defense/ points in the paint defense in a "half court offense" against them? I am not, which is why I think If memphis is getting 40 pts in the paint w/ marc only playing 12 minutes..then I can't imagine what those other teams would do in a SERIES. Point blank, we just don't have the depth or fire power to protect the paint consistently

Sean Cagney
03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
This. Memphis is just one of those teams that matches up very well with the Spurs and can beat the Spurs on any given night. Just a bad, bad matchup....

So is Portland IMO, so that means what? Playoffs are coming and we could meet either as #8 or #7! Is this bad? I would say so.

Agloco
03-02-2011, 02:19 PM

turnovers

There's no defense for that.

Gregzilla
05-03-2011, 01:27 AM
wow...thought i'd revisit my old threads back when the spurs were #1 in the league and knew this shitty spurs team wouldn't do anything. Of course i got bombarded w/ stupid homer fans but look at your asses now. pathetic

Gregzilla
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
re-up...deja fucking vu...this post was last year during the regular season against memphis (bounced us) and now the same thing is happening with LA