PDA

View Full Version : Mortons steakhouse

clambake
03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
we went to the one in downtown los angeles last night. i admit the steaks were well prepared.........but it is severely overpriced.

i think there are morton's in texas. anyone feel the same?

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Agree...severely overpriced. So is Ruths Chris.

clambake
03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Agree...severely overpriced. So is Ruths Chris.

haven't been there. thanks for the info.

Blake
03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
we went to the one in downtown los angeles last night. i admit the steaks were well prepared.........but it is severely overpriced.

i think there are morton's in texas. anyone feel the same?

yes, severely overpriced.

I'm a huge fan of Saltgrass Steakhouse myself. Outstanding food and service for the price.

The Gemini Method
03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
If you're going to spend wayyyy too much money on a steak then Morton's >>> Ruths Chris.

But the Cowboy at Ruths is really good...I've taken one girl to Morton's and there's now a reason I don't spring for such supposed lavish shit when it comes to girls.

clambake
03-02-2011, 11:34 AM
forgot to mention the ridiculous presentation they put you through regarding the menu.

i felt sorry for the waiter having to do that.

Kori Ellis
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I've been to a few of them in Calif, but not Texas. And yeah, I agree -- really good but overpriced.

And the presentation is hilarious -- imagine that training. :lol

Drachen
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
The only thing that is worth going to ruths chris is the seared ahi tuna that stuff has the most amazing taste.
As far as the steaks, the cuts of meat are otherworldly, they are cooked phenomenally, and have no flavor..... If there was some flavor, I would be falling all over myself to spend $200 on dinner, I mean the meat almost falls apart on your fork, but no flavor.

Never eaten at Morton's.

Oh and there is some entertainment value to ordering bananas foster.

Kori Ellis
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm a huge fan of Saltgrass Steakhouse myself. Outstanding food and service for the price.

I agree. That's our favorite steak place. The one on 281 (I don't know if that's the only one here) is excellent.

clambake
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I've been to a few of them in Calif, but not Texas. And yeah, I agree -- really good but overpriced.

And the presentation is hilarious -- imagine that training. :lol

not to mention the poor, live lobster on the tray with a toe tag on its claw. lol

hater
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
dumb shit to spend that much on a piece of meat

mrsmaalox
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
yes, severely overpriced.

I agree. That's our favorite steak place. The one on 281 (I don't know if that's the only one here) is excellent.

It's my favorite too. And it's consistant, you always know exactly what you are gonna get and it's gonna be good.

Have you all tried Longhorn Steakhouse yet? I haven't been to one here yet, but it was my favorite back in Georgia.

Blake
03-02-2011, 11:48 AM

you know, I've been mildly disappointed the 5-6 times I've been to that one.

For whatever reason, I prefer the one out on I-10/ Huebner Oaks Center.

My favorite menu item is Pat's Ribeye.

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
If I have to eat steak at a restaurant I will go to Saltgrass, but I would much rather spend the money on good meat and cook them myself. Had a steak craving a couple of weeks ago and bought a big pack of 2 1/2" thick fillets at Costco and cooked them over mesquite. Damn that was good. Fed four hungry adults for a little over $30 on meat.

Blake
03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Have you all tried Longhorn Steakhouse yet? I haven't been to one here yet, but it was my favorite back in Georgia.

Na, I may wait to hear more word of mouth about it before I try it.

Also, it being owned by the Red Lobster/Olive Garden group just turns me off a bit.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
The commercials for longhorn steakhouse look like outback steakhouse quality at best. Outback=McDonalds of steakhouses. Almost Sizzler like :lol

I rarely go out for steak. One, cuz of the price and secondly cuz the only good steak is one that you cook yourself, IMO tbh fwiw.

4>0rings
03-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I agree, Saltgrass gets it between price and quality.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Also, it being owned by the Red Lobster/Olive Garden group just turns me off a bit.

Thanks, Blake. That's all I needed to know to cross it off my list.
Both of those are the McDonalds of seafood and Italian food respectively.

mrsmaalox
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
You "cook it myself" guys are nuts. I'll gladly pay the price for an excellent meal that I don't prepare, serve, or clean up after.

Drachen
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
It's my favorite too. And it's consistant, you always know exactly what you are gonna get and it's gonna be good.

I used to work at that saltgrass. Gained about 15 pounds working there. Everything is good!

As far as longhorn, read my description of ruths chris steak and you have a general idea (good cut of meat, prepared well, no taste).

However if you want dessert, go to Longhorn and get the Chocolate Stampede. I am not one to really care too much for chocolate, or cake, but this is one of the best desserts I have ever had (actually, this is the ONLY cake I have eaten in probably the past ten years or more except for my wedding cake [grooms cake was a pie per my request]).

Drachen
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
If I have to eat steak at a restaurant I will go to Saltgrass, but I would much rather spend the money on good meat and cook them myself. Had a steak craving a couple of weeks ago and bought a big pack of 2 1/2" thick fillets at Costco and cooked them over mesquite. Damn that was good. Fed four hungry adults for a little over $30 on meat.

This is really the only way to do it, as much as I like saltgrass, I can make steaks that are probably 3 times as tasty at about half the cost (but I still love to go there and get range rattlers and a salad with their ranch (the best ranch in the world)).

Viva Las Espuelas
Pffff

CosmicCowboy
You "cook it myself" guys are nuts. I'll gladly pay the price for an excellent meal that I don't prepare, serve, or clean up after.

When I cook it's turn key. I also wash dishes and clean up.

Blake
03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

:lol me too, but I also enjoy throwing animals on the grill just the same.

the tricky thing about eating steaks at restaurants is getting a nice tender cut........something I don't worry about at home.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:00 PM
And why is it steakhouses have good desserts? Just serve desserts. Less overhead that way. Less to clean up too. :wakeup

Drachen
03-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Steak prep takes an exceedingly little amount of time, grilling is a recreational activity, and what cleanup? Scraping the grill for 1 minute the next time you use it?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I also wash dishes and clean up.

Sucker

The_Worlds_finest
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
My bro has a method to cook steak that is probably better than anything those two can throw together.

heres what you need:
Cast iron skillet,
the burner from a propane burner from a deep fryer
convection oven

heres what you do
heat the convection oven to 500 degrees
heat the skillet up over the propane stove(outside)
once the skillet has extremely hot
throw the steak on the skillet 45-60 seconds per side
take the entire skillet with steak and place in the convection oven for 3 minutes

BOOM the perfect steak. I shit you not. this baby is perfect.

It gets smokey though

for an extra treat throw down on the $30 a pound kobe steak :) HEB carries them sometimes

mrsmaalox
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Steak prep takes an exceedingly little amount of time, grilling is a recreational activity, and what cleanup? Scraping the grill for 1 minute the next time you use it?

Compared to sitting on my ass, sipping wine? :lol

Blake
03-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I used to work at that saltgrass. Gained about 15 pounds working there. Everything is good!

I'm tellin ya.......there hasn't been anything at all chicken/steak/salad (agreed, the ranch dressing is the best Ive had at restaurants) that Ive tried there that wasn't flat out excellent.

I even had a waiter recommend ordering batter/deep fried green beans which isn't on the menu.

I gotta ask you, when someone asked for some extra ketchup, how big of a pain in the ass was it to have to bring it out on a giant tray?

That cracks me up every time. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:06 PM

She tends to overreact a bit :toast

JudynTX
03-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Na, I may wait to hear more word of mouth about it before I try it.

We enjoyed Longhorn Steakhouse alot, the service was top notch. :tu
The steaks were worth the price we paid. :D

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Walk AND chew gum

Soul_Patch
03-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Costco has a bad ass steak selection. One of the things i miss most about our membership.

Sportcamper
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Morton's & Ruth Chris are extremely over priced…Rich people who enjoy great food are too smart to dine there…The bulk of their clientele are medium income folks who act like they can afford to pay for 100 dollars a plate…

Blake
03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
We enjoyed Longhorn Steakhouse alot, the service was top notch. :tu
The steaks were worth the price we paid. :D

:tu

mrsmaalox
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Costco has a bad ass steak selection. One of the things i miss most about our membership.

I've never gotten better salmon anywhere---including Washington state!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
The bulk of their clientele are medium income folks who act like they can afford to pay for 100 dollars a plate…:lol
Nice. Add in the occasional prom date as well.

CheapBastard
03-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I prefer the steaks at the little red barn.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I've never gotten better salmon anywhere---including Washington state!

Farm or wild?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I prefer the steaks at the little red barn.

I go for the waitresses.

The Gemini Method
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
I'd rather go to the niche places in L.A. instead of the likes of Morton's and Ruths...I'll have to agree on the overpriced comments. But, now I'm hungry and there is a Costco down the street from my office lol. Too bad I don't have a grill at my job.

clambake
03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd rather go to the niche places in L.A. instead of the likes of Morton's and Ruths...I'll have to agree on the overpriced comments. But, now I'm hungry and there is a Costco down the street from my office lol. Too bad I don't have a grill at my job.

have you ever been to nick & stef's?

The Gemini Method
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
have you ever been to nick & stef's?

I attempted to try it, but the night we went was extremely packed, so I never got the chance to try it. It's still on my list to try, though. We ended up trying Ketchup for the night's dinner. Did you like it?

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Costco also has the best selection of lamb in town. Also consistently the best baby back ribs.

clambake
03-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I attempted to try it, but the night we went was extremely packed, so I never got the chance to try it. It's still on my list to try, though. We ended up trying Ketchup for the night's dinner. Did you like it?

the wait staff will likely panic if its crowded.

it was ok. might have been a bad night for them.

The Gemini Method
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Perhaps they were short handed or had a party to deal with. I can't say for sure because it was a while back.

clambake
03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Perhaps they were short handed or had a party to deal with. I can't say for sure because it was a while back.

rate ketchups for me. you know.....

food
atmosphere
service
price?

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I usually cook steaks at home on the grill, but I have to say Fogo de Chao is pretty awesome.

ididnotnothat
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
I cut way back on red meat years ago so I mainly grill chicken and seafood but when I do get a craving for steak I grill them like nobody else.

Drachen
03-02-2011, 01:17 PM

This is included, like I said, Grilling is a recreational activity (though beer is generally substituted for wine).

Vici
03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
One trick I've learned is if you're forced to eat cheap steaks, top it off with a one part butter and one part bleu cheese sauce. The key is to cook the two together over the grill until they melt completely into each other then go nuts over the steak. When they mix with the blood it's heaven.

Instead of dropping $200 on a mean I recommend purchasing one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide . The steak actually taste better the leaner they are. All marinades will soak in better. I've even experimented with using applewood smoked bacon grease and my god that steak was delicious. It's not just limited to steaks but steaks tend to produce the best value to flavor ratio.

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2011, 02:40 PM
One trick I've learned is if you're forced to eat cheap steaks, top it off with a one part butter and one part bleu cheese sauce. The key is to cook the two together over the grill until they melt completely into each other then go nuts over the steak. When they mix with the blood it's heaven.

Instead of dropping $200 on a mean I recommend purchasing one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide . The steak actually taste better the leaner they are. All marinades will soak in better. I've even experimented with using applewood smoked bacon grease and my god that steak was delicious. It's not just limited to steaks but steaks tend to produce the best value to flavor ratio.

It's just not the same..

"Hey dude...come on over Saturday...we'll toss down some brews and boil some steaks...":lol

Blake
03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I have to say Fogo de Chao is pretty awesome.

I concur. I've been to the one in Houston, been wanting to check out the one downtown at rivercenter.

JudynTX
03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I know SpursWoman has gone to Texas de Brazil. Has anyone else? :D

My boss gave me a giftcard to that place.

http://www.texasdebrazil.com/

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Well there's quite a few Brazilian churrascaria places up here. Texas de Brazil is always at the bottom of the list, so I've heard. Rafain is pretty damn good and not as pricey as Fogo. I've got a Brasilian friend and he says Rafain is pretty close to Fogo and he's been to the one in Sao paolo.

The Gemini Method
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Man, churrascarias are damn near death by meat. It's the first place I've ever tried kangaroo and nutria as well...

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
nutria? You ate RAT?

http://seattlefloatinghomes.org/files/images/5.%20nutria.jpg

The Gemini Method
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
nutria? You ate RAT?

http://seattlefloatinghomes.org/files/images/5.%20nutria.jpg

I was shocked they were serving it as well, but I guess its a huge protein fix in the Amazon region. It didn't really taste like much and had the textrue of poultry. It tasted like greenery though and that's probably due to its diet.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Nutria are disgusting. Looking that is. I'd never eat one. There's tons of those around "Lake" Bachman.

The Gemini Method
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Whoops. Got my rodents mixed up I think it was the capybara and not the nutria...I had to look up the name and went with the first large rodent as the choice lol. Either way, yes...I sometimes go through the Andrew Zimmern phase (After all, growing up in a Thai household...you've gotta be somewhat willing to try things)

Tinystarz
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM
My bro has a method to cook steak that is probably better than anything those two can throw together.

heres what you need:
Cast iron skillet,
the burner from a propane burner from a deep fryer
convection oven

heres what you do
heat the convection oven to 500 degrees
heat the skillet up over the propane stove(outside)
once the skillet has extremely hot
throw the steak on the skillet 45-60 seconds per side
take the entire skillet with steak and place in the convection oven for 3 minutes

BOOM the perfect steak. I shit you not. this baby is perfect.

It gets smokey though

for an extra treat throw down on the $30 a pound kobe steak :) HEB carries them sometimes

that's alton's method too seems like.

3yX1Q3x9Cs4

Vici
03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
It's just not the same..

"Hey dude...come on over Saturday...we'll toss down some brews and boil some steaks...":lol

lol true. You still char the steak to get the smokey flavor but I get your point.

Still, go somewhere and try it. It will be one of the best steaks of your life.