lefty
03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
lulz

DJ Mbenga
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
id personally buy the hp touchpad if it was 500. its multitasking is better

PM5K
03-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Some of it was pretty obvious, but I didn't realize they were going to make it so thin, looks amazingly sexy. Should have seen it coming, I believe it's the same type of technology used in the iPhone 4.

Drachen
03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I will say this, out of everything on the IPAD the only thing I truely think is outstanding from the rest of the competition (and that I like) is the cover. I wouldn't buy it though. Why pay $40 for a cover, when you are going to have to turn around and spend $XX on a case.

So if that satisfies your desire to find some jealousy, so be it.

ElNono
03-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Not worth updating my 1st gen iPad... but a nice hardware update nonetheless, imo...

Venti Quattro
03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Saving up for mine now. Got to hold back on that extra dessert at lunch

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2011, 10:58 PM
where do i go to take a dump on this?

DJ Mbenga
03-03-2011, 01:20 AM
I will say this, out of everything on the IPAD the only thing I truely think is outstanding from the rest of the competition (and that I like) is the cover. I wouldn't buy it though. Why pay $40 for a cover, when you are going to have to turn around and spend $XX on a case.

So if that satisfies your desire to find some jealousy, so be it.

its a rag with magnets

Dex
03-03-2011, 02:03 AM
It's not a case, it's a cover.™

The_Worlds_finest
03-03-2011, 03:47 AM
where do i go to take a dump on this?

Apple took care of the dumping by shitting all over Android. At least the droid community has until next April to attempt to make something in the same ball park as the I2

MannyIsGod
03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
lol fanboy

Cry Havoc
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Apple took care of the dumping by shitting all over Android. At least the droid community has until next April to attempt to make something in the same ball park as the I2

Why do you have a picture of the Max Headroom incident as your avatar? Just curious, assuming you know where it's from.

resistanze
03-03-2011, 10:56 AM
LMAO iPad 2

The_Worlds_finest
03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Why do you have a picture of the Max Headroom incident as your avatar? Just curious, assuming you know where it's from.

why do you have some homoerotic avatar?

Cry Havoc
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
why do you have some homoerotic avatar?

Classy response. It was an honest question. But so be it. Avatar smack is clever, as has been established before on ST. Pretty sad when you're so angry that you can't answer questions without resorting to such vitriol. :lol

The_Worlds_finest
03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
relax guy, i have it there for no reason at all. Nothing better i guess

balli
03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
relax guy
lol starting a shit antagonist fanboy thread, tripping out and calling another poster's avatar 'homo' and then telling the other guy to 'relax.'

resistanze
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
:lmao

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
tWdgAMYjYSs

Fuckin creepy

Venti Quattro
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Now I can buy an iPad 1. :tu

The_Worlds_finest
03-03-2011, 02:23 PM
VQ i have one for you if you like to buy it :)

lefty
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Now I can buy an iPad 1. :tu
My dad has an Ipad 1

Very nice stuff

Cry Havoc
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/03/steve-jobs-reality-distortion-takes-its-toll-on-truth/

Steve Jobs' reality distortion takes its toll on truth
Posted by Seth Weintraub
March 3, 2011 9:20 AM

Apple twisted facts and used an erroneous quotation to try to convince crowds that all other tablets had no shot at de-throning the iPad in 2011.

In what seems like a ritual at this point, I watched Apple's iPad 2 keynote in disbelief, noting the factual errors that kept coming up minute after minute. See previous:

* How Steve Jobs turned a finger spot into a death grip
* Google responds to Steve Jobs' activation counting accusations
* Why does Android have Steve Jobs rattled?

So, let's get started: As part of the opening iPad bullet points, Apple included this gem:

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/screen-shot-2011-03-02-at-7-00-19-pm.png?w=600

"First dual core tablet to ship in volume." That's funny, I tested a Dell (DELL) Streak 7, which had a dual core Nvidia Tegra 2 chip in January. They've been shipping ever since on T-Mobile.

In volume.

Of course, the Motorola (MMI) XOOM also has this same dual core processor and is certainly shipping in volume as well. In fact, I've been using an Android phone (the Atrix) with a dual core chip for weeks and it wasn't the first to ship in volume. As for Apple (AAPL), they haven't shipped one iPad 2 yet -- iPad 2's hit shelves on March 11.

Perhaps this has to do with Jobs' subjective view of 'Volume' which may start at whatever numbers iPads are currently selling? And 'ship'? Well, I don't know.

That was just the beginning. He next pulled out a thoroughly debunked, mis-translated quote from a Samsung VP:

Some people only hear what they want to hear, but that quote should have ended with "quite smooth." That translation was officially corrected a long time ago. Shame on Apple Keynote fact-checkers, if such a role even exists.

That leads us to:

">90% market share". OMG Math.

Both Apple and Samsung measure sales the same way -- into the channel. Apple has just as many points of sale for the iPad as Samsung has for the Tab and likely many more. So Samsung sold 2 million (in the last quarter) in 2010. Apple sold 14.8 million (in three quarters). That seems like a pretty fair comparison.

Apple would have needed to sell 3.2 million more to reach 90% of 2010's tablet market share against just Samsung alone (in triple the time). That's not including all of the Android-powered Nooks out there, those cheap $100 Androids you can buy at Walgreens or Amazon and even Windows-powered Tablet PCs (which are mentioned two bullet points above!). If you choose to include the Kindle, Apple may not have even reached 50% of the market.

Perhaps Jobs meant market share of tablets that start with the letter "I."

And finally, pricing:

As for pricing, Jobs compared the most expensive Android tablet -- the XOOM --against the iPad. While specs don't matter to the typical consumer, components do largely affect the price of a device. The XOOM's are simply better. It has (expandable) 32GB of storage built in and 3G built in (upgradable through a painful mail-in process to 4G). So, on that alone, it compares with the $729 iPad.

But then consider that the XOOM has a much better, bigger 720P+ screen compared to the iPad's 1024x768 job (it has less Retina™). Then, add far superior cameras (w/flash), stereo speakers (iPad 2 has one), 4G and a micro-USB/SD Card reader. Apple won't say how much RAM the iPad has, but I'm willing to bet it is about half of the XOOM's 1GB.

You see, Apple loves to talk about specs when it is in its best interest (speeds and feeds). There are plenty of specs on size and weight that were repeated over and over:"8.8mm thin", "1.3 lbs". Tech Specs? Lots: "Retina display has 326PPI", "1GHz Dual Core Processor", "64GB of storage", "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating", "Back camera: Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still camera with 5x digital zoom", etc. etc. But ask them how much RAM the iPad has and they'll tell you it doesn't matter.

Perhaps Jobs could have also compared the iPad 2 to other Android tablets' prices? Samsung's Galaxy Tab and Dell's Streak both now start at $499 and have better cameras, 3G radios and GPS, which seem to compete well with Apple's $499 Wifi-only offering. Reality distorted.

I have a lot of respect for Steve Jobs and Apple's products. It's just a shame that all the truth-bending destroys the keynotes.

Here's the whole video (play distortion bingo with a double shot of Kool-Aid?):

symple19
03-03-2011, 05:37 PM
fuck apple. Congrats to everyone who likes paying more for less

leemajors
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM

I see you've sunk to OP's level here.

DarkReign
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
tWdgAMYjYSs

Fuckin creepy

Sooooo, I followed the link to YT and stumbled upon this acid trip.

cqi5F5MqqTQ

Viva Las Espuelas
03-03-2011, 11:11 PM
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/03/steve-jobs-reality-distortion-takes-its-toll-on-truth/

Steve Jobs' reality distortion takes its toll on truth
Posted by Seth Weintraub
March 3, 2011 9:20 AM

Apple twisted facts and used an erroneous quotation to try to convince crowds that all other tablets had no shot at de-throning the iPad in 2011.

In what seems like a ritual at this point, I watched Apple's iPad 2 keynote in disbelief, noting the factual errors that kept coming up minute after minute. See previous:

* How Steve Jobs turned a finger spot into a death grip
* Google responds to Steve Jobs' activation counting accusations
* Why does Android have Steve Jobs rattled?

So, let's get started: As part of the opening iPad bullet points, Apple included this gem:

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/screen-shot-2011-03-02-at-7-00-19-pm.png?w=600

"First dual core tablet to ship in volume." That's funny, I tested a Dell (DELL) Streak 7, which had a dual core Nvidia Tegra 2 chip in January. They've been shipping ever since on T-Mobile.

In volume.

Of course, the Motorola (MMI) XOOM also has this same dual core processor and is certainly shipping in volume as well. In fact, I've been using an Android phone (the Atrix) with a dual core chip for weeks and it wasn't the first to ship in volume. As for Apple (AAPL), they haven't shipped one iPad 2 yet -- iPad 2's hit shelves on March 11.

Perhaps this has to do with Jobs' subjective view of 'Volume' which may start at whatever numbers iPads are currently selling? And 'ship'? Well, I don't know.

That was just the beginning. He next pulled out a thoroughly debunked, mis-translated quote from a Samsung VP:

Some people only hear what they want to hear, but that quote should have ended with "quite smooth." That translation was officially corrected a long time ago. Shame on Apple Keynote fact-checkers, if such a role even exists.

That leads us to:

">90% market share". OMG Math.

Both Apple and Samsung measure sales the same way -- into the channel. Apple has just as many points of sale for the iPad as Samsung has for the Tab and likely many more. So Samsung sold 2 million (in the last quarter) in 2010. Apple sold 14.8 million (in three quarters). That seems like a pretty fair comparison.

Apple would have needed to sell 3.2 million more to reach 90% of 2010's tablet market share against just Samsung alone (in triple the time). That's not including all of the Android-powered Nooks out there, those cheap $100 Androids you can buy at Walgreens or Amazon and even Windows-powered Tablet PCs (which are mentioned two bullet points above!). If you choose to include the Kindle, Apple may not have even reached 50% of the market.

Perhaps Jobs meant market share of tablets that start with the letter "I."

And finally, pricing:

As for pricing, Jobs compared the most expensive Android tablet -- the XOOM --against the iPad. While specs don't matter to the typical consumer, components do largely affect the price of a device. The XOOM's are simply better. It has (expandable) 32GB of storage built in and 3G built in (upgradable through a painful mail-in process to 4G). So, on that alone, it compares with the $729 iPad.

But then consider that the XOOM has a much better, bigger 720P+ screen compared to the iPad's 1024x768 job (it has less Retina™). Then, add far superior cameras (w/flash), stereo speakers (iPad 2 has one), 4G and a micro-USB/SD Card reader. Apple won't say how much RAM the iPad has, but I'm willing to bet it is about half of the XOOM's 1GB.

You see, Apple loves to talk about specs when it is in its best interest (speeds and feeds). There are plenty of specs on size and weight that were repeated over and over:"8.8mm thin", "1.3 lbs". Tech Specs? Lots: "Retina display has 326PPI", "1GHz Dual Core Processor", "64GB of storage", "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating", "Back camera: Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still camera with 5x digital zoom", etc. etc. But ask them how much RAM the iPad has and they'll tell you it doesn't matter.

Perhaps Jobs could have also compared the iPad 2 to other Android tablets' prices? Samsung's Galaxy Tab and Dell's Streak both now start at $499 and have better cameras, 3G radios and GPS, which seem to compete well with Apple's $499 Wifi-only offering. Reality distorted.

I have a lot of respect for Steve Jobs and Apple's products. It's just a shame that all the truth-bending destroys the keynotes.

Here's the whole video (play distortion bingo with a double shot of Kool-Aid?):

9r2pEdc1_lI

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 01:50 AM
But no, honestly, I gotta hand it to Apple. It's not the dazzling leap forward I was hoping for, but the iPad 2 does look pretty freakin' amazing. I just don't need one yet. Maybe I'll consider getting a tablet type device next year. The thinness of the iPad2 is just crazy, and they're obviously going to sell extremely well. I think it's odd that they have to put down the competition in their keynotes, considering they seem to be a company that's all about taking the high road, but meh, it is what it is.

Would be really nice to hook a bluetooth keyboard up to it for heavy typing as well.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 01:55 AM

You don't really pay more for less. You pay more for sexy instead of specs. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize what you're doing.

Fpoonsie
03-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Sooooo, I followed the link to YT and stumbled upon this acid trip.

cqi5F5MqqTQ

Yeah, I've seen that a few times now and it still kinda fucks w/ me.

ElNono
03-04-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm more interested in the faster speed. The iPad 1 is pretty snappy, but it can bog down on certain sites.

Let me add I can't stand that Scott Forestall dude. He just comes across as a total douchebag. Jobs is ruthless and has his reality distortion field too, but he's more of a charismatic guy.

ElNono
03-04-2011, 02:03 AM
BTW, typing all this on an iPad :D

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 02:15 AM
BTW, typing all this on an iPad :D

How fast can you type on it? I average ~110ish on full size keyboards and probably around 40wpm on my phone (closer to 60 with Swiftkey, I think).

ElNono
03-04-2011, 02:39 AM
How fast can you type on it? I average ~110ish on full size keyboards and probably around 40wpm on my phone (closer to 60 with Swiftkey, I think).

I've no idea, really. But I'm normally chilling out when I use it (In bed right now) so I just use two finger typing :lol

I guess people that need to type more extensively can use a BT keyboard.

in2deep
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
It's an interesting phenomena this tablet/phone thing. A lot of my friends buy a new iphone/ipad every year it comes out. It's crazy IMO. They say 'i'm a tech guy'. no mofo, you are an addict to technology and it's nothing to be proud of.

I have my iphone 3g from 3 years ago and fixed it myself 4 times already (broken glass, lcd, headphonejack,etc) I really don't see the need to upgrade every year.

Thus I am not a fan of Apple and their strategy. Also not a fan of the fact they lock down the Operating System. Crazy. I will buy a tablet where you can install any OS you want and pretty much do anything with the hardware. That is my dream tablet. I will not buy a locked down tablet. Especially one that does not play Flash :pctoss

btw, any chances of that dream tablet coming out?

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Definitely. Any tablet not by Motorola or Apple will suit your needs... give it a few months and you'll have your dream machine.

in2deep
03-04-2011, 10:39 AM
awesome. I can imagine a linux termintal in one virtual machine, visual studio in another, netflix and on the video phone with someone all from the tablet sitting on my couch while watching the spurs game :D :D :D

Mixability
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I was hoping for a retina display, but i still want it.

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I was hoping for a retina display, but i still want it.

:lol What buzzwords will do to people's sensibilities. Retina display. That's just hilarious. :lmao

Mixability
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
:lol What buzzwords will do to people's sensibilities. Retina display. That's just hilarious. :lmao

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/retina-display.html

Buzzword? I just thought the iPad 2 would get the same screen as the iPhone 4.

Jt.ONE
03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
lol ipad

lefty
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Its that good

The retina display on my iPhone4 is stunning

leemajors
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM

What about HTC's incredibly inventive phone names? And let's not forget Samsung - CAPTIVATE! GALAXY!

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
What about HTC's incredibly inventive phone names? And let's not forget Samsung - CAPTIVATE! GALAXY!

It's the difference between Ford naming their new car the "Edge", and saying that it has a "Prescient steering wheel". One is giving the product a name, the other is hyping a feature by using a pointless buzzword. Make no mistake though, it's smart on Apple's part, because people fall for that kind of hype hook, line, and sinker. :lol Retina display. Like it's made of human eyes or something. :lol

Mixability
03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Regardless of its name, the screen resolution is amazing. If liking it enough to want it on another product is "falling for" buzzwords.... then so be it.

lefty
03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Retina Display FTW

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Regardless of its name, the screen resolution is amazing. If liking it enough to want it on another product is "falling for" buzzwords.... then so be it.

Because you call it retina display instead of what it is... 640x960.

resistanze
03-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I have nothing against Apple (I have the 3Gs, might be getting iPhone 5) but I can't stand Apple marketing - I feel like shooting myself in the head whenever see a keynote speech.

Mixability
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM

I couldn't remember the exact specs, so I didn't mistakenly reference them. I knew it was called retina, so i referred to it by its trade name. I didn't get caught up because it's a buzzword, i like it because I've seen it on the iPhone. I don't see what the big deal is. Geez

leemajors
03-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Honestly, this is the best reason to get an iOS device I have seen yet:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/cbs-and-turner-sports-are-streaming-all-the-march-madness-games-to/#

Free streaming NCAA tourney App from CBS.

leemajors
03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
It's the difference between Ford naming their new car the "Edge", and saying that it has a "Prescient steering wheel". One is giving the product a name, the other is hyping a feature by using a pointless buzzword. Make no mistake though, it's smart on Apple's part, because people fall for that kind of hype hook, line, and sinker. :lol Retina display. Like it's made of human eyes or something. :lol

Evo! :rollin

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2011, 02:00 AM
lol at the suckers who buy into apples products and marketing schemes...

King
03-05-2011, 09:43 AM
It's an interesting phenomena this tablet/phone thing. A lot of my friends buy a new iphone/ipad every year it comes out. It's crazy IMO. They say 'i'm a tech guy'. no mofo, you are an addict to technology and it's nothing to be proud of.

I have my iphone 3g from 3 years ago and fixed it myself 4 times already (broken glass, lcd, headphonejack,etc) I really don't see the need to upgrade every year.

Thus I am not a fan of Apple and their strategy. Also not a fan of the fact they lock down the Operating System. Crazy. I will buy a tablet where you can install any OS you want and pretty much do anything with the hardware. That is my dream tablet. I will not buy a locked down tablet. Especially one that does not play Flash :pctoss

I've had three of the four iphones (not the 3Gs), but the ONLY reason I've upgraded every time is because I've been able to unlock the previous phone, and sell it on on ebay for more than my new one costs. I sold an unlocked 3g for 250, and the iphone 4 cost 199.

So, it's not really costing money. It's not necessary, but a cool gadget that isn't costing anything to upgrade. So, why not?

balli
03-05-2011, 10:42 AM

What buzzwords will do to people's sensibilities. Retina display. That's just hilarious.

What's wrong with Captivate? Not everything can be as simple as Sphone. Or maybe HTC should just make Hphones? I mean, they have to call their products something. And actually, some smarmy corp name, beats the hell out of the ultimately narcissistic sounding Iphone.

As far as the screen- Super AMOLED: Super Active Organic Light Emitting Diode. They could have called it the perception/retina/iris or cornea display. I wouldn't have cared if they did, but they didn't. Apple did.

I guess what I'm trying to say is who cares either way? I could give a hoot what any of these companies name their products. If people are sheeple enough to get suckered in by a name than they deserve to.

The_Worlds_finest
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Im confused about why its such a big deal that apple brings out a new iphone or ipad once year. HTC comes out with new shit every single month. If HTC gets in the tablet market they will come out with something every three months.

leemajors
03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
What's wrong with Captivate? Not everything can be as simple as Sphone. Or maybe HTC should just make Hphones? I mean, they have to call their products something. And actually, some smarmy corp name, beats the hell out of the ultimately narcissistic sounding Iphone.

As far as the screen- Super AMOLED: Super Active Organic Light Emitting Diode. They could have called it the perception/retina/iris or cornea display. I wouldn't have cared if they did, but they didn't. Apple did.

I guess what I'm trying to say is who cares either way? I could give a hoot what any of these companies name their products. If people are sheeple enough to get suckered in by a name than they deserve to.

That is exactly what I was saying - they are both silly. Just like bagging on someone for buying Apple products because they have a slick marketing department while carrying around a laptop, tablet, and a smartphone while sporting a fauxhawk on their way home to an apartment with a ps3, xbox 360 and Wii.

Cry Havoc
03-05-2011, 12:20 PM
That is exactly what I was saying - they are both silly. Just like bagging on someone for buying Apple products because they have a slick marketing department while carrying around a laptop, tablet, and a smartphone while sporting a fauxhawk on their way home to an apartment with a ps3, xbox 360 and Wii.

:lol Resorting to ad hominems in a discussion about tech.

You so mad.

leemajors
03-05-2011, 12:30 PM
:lol Resorting to ad hominems in a discussion about tech.

You so mad.

Umm, ok. That's pretty funny coming from you.

PM5K
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what Apple calls their high resolution/high PPI screens, they could have called them anything and they still would have been amazingly popular, because of how they look.

It's not like people are just falling for hype and buzzwords, it's not like synthetic blinker fluid, it's an amazing looking screen because of the high res/high ppi and because of how the display is now laid out, which brings the LCD closer to the front.

I think one of the best compliments I ever got was a while back with some friends in the car on a fairly bright day I had my phone on and one of them said it looked fake, the other agreed. I could explain further if necessary.

So if anything we'd have to be idiots to call it a 640x960 screen because it's more than that. It's a 640x960 screen that's 3.5 inches large and packs 326 PPI.

Compared to say the EVO because I believe you have one, the RETINA DISPLAY has over 100 more PPI, which is why it looks so crisp.

DMX7
03-05-2011, 01:28 PM

This. "retina display" is just a marketing gimmick. The raw resolution and size of the screen will go a long way in determing picture quality.

ElNono
03-05-2011, 01:31 PM
This is silly... everybody uses marketing gimmicks... Bitlocker anyone?

PM5K
03-05-2011, 02:05 PM
It's not a gimmick, a gimmick is something that has no relevance or use. Apple would have been stupid to simply call it a 640x960 screen because the high pixel density makes it more than that.

Dex
03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I love how people who don't like Apple assumes that anybody who buys one is a blind sheep. People in the know understand that there is a reason Macs have blown up in design / video / music production circles, not to mention as a pop icon in public media. It's the same reason Apple has dominated the MP3 market and is still the major contender in the mobile phone / tablet market.

It's good hardware coupled with good (and exclusive) software, but it's also marked up due to its aesthetic design, culture, and the fact that it has a frickin' Apple logo on it. It's like buying a BMW...you're paying for a good car, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're not paying for the logo, too.

Are there cheaper alternatives? Sure. Apple doesn't pretend to be the only solution on the market. It just tries to be one of the nicest and most desirable, and that comes with a pricetag.

Ultimately, Apple doesn't really care because their formula seems to have worked pretty well over the past 15 years.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Umm, ok. That's pretty funny coming from you.

Right. Show me where I've been the one to start throwing out insults. I'll wait.

I love how people who don't like Apple assumes that anybody who buys one is a blind sheep. People in the know understand that there is a reason Macs have blown up in design / video / music production circles, not to mention as a pop icon in public media. It's the same reason Apple has dominated the MP3 market and is still the major contender in the mobile phone / tablet market.

Apple makes very solid, reliable, sexy products. If you know how to take advantage of their computers, they're a good investment. Most people don't, though, and buy them because they're trendy or they look good sitting on top of their Ikea furniture. You said it yourself: They're a pop icon.

It's good hardware coupled with good (and exclusive) software, but it's also marked up due to its aesthetic design, culture, and the fact that it has a frickin' Apple logo on it. It's like buying a BMW...you're paying for a good car, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're not paying for the logo, too.

That's a pretty solid example, although the difference between Apple's quality and the top-tier PC manufacturers is very slim now.

It's not a gimmick, a gimmick is something that has no relevance or use. Apple would have been stupid to simply call it a 640x960 screen because the high pixel density makes it more than that.

:lol wat

You just contradicted yourself.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what Apple calls their high resolution/high PPI screens, they could have called them anything and they still would have been amazingly popular, because it's Apple.

Ftfy. Apple could advertise "Log" from Ren and Stimpy and sell them by the thousands to loyal denizens.

I think one of the best compliments I ever got was a while back with some friends in the car on a fairly bright day I had my phone on and one of them said it looked fake, the other agreed. I could explain further if necessary.

I've seen the iPhone 4 on numerous occasions in bright sunlight. It's still hard to read, just like any other LCD display. In decent conditions, the new AMOLED displays are better, IMO. Much brighter and more vivid. The iPhone 4 trends yellow and the colors are slightly muted by comparison.

So if anything we'd have to be idiots to call it a 640x960 screen because it's more than that. It's a 640x960 screen that's 3.5 inches large and packs 326 PPI.

So... you're saying they shouldn't call it a higher resolution because... it's a higher resolution?

Compared to say the EVO because I believe you have one, the RETINA DISPLAY has over 100 more PPI, which is why it looks so crisp.

TBH, I don't notice much of a difference between my screen and the iPhone's. That's not a knock on the iPhone's display at all, it's gorgeous, but so is the Evo's. I'm just baffled that for years people used 17" monitors that could only display 800x600 resolution with no problems, and all of a sudden a 4.3" display that has 480x800 is just blocky and pixelated. It doesn't make sense to me. :lol

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 09:47 AM
This is silly... everybody uses marketing gimmicks... Bitlocker anyone?

Yep, which is exactly what I said earlier in the thread. I just find it funny that it's done so blatantly and people eat it up. A testament to the powers of Apple's marketing division.

Dex
03-07-2011, 10:35 AM
That's a pretty solid example, although the difference between Apple's quality and the top-tier PC manufacturers is very slim now.

True, but Apple still has one thing going for it and it alone: OS X. You can buy the nicest PC in the world, but you'll either be stuck dealing with Windows or hand-tailoring Linux.

I know, I know....both of those operating systems still do their job admirably. Personally, I much prefer OS X / OS X Server, and Apple is smart not to virtualize or license out that software.

As long as I can afford it, I'll take the hit on the wallet for my computer to run the way I like it to, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
True, but Apple still has one thing going for it and it alone: OS X. You can buy the nicest PC in the world, but you'll either be stuck dealing with Windows or hand-tailoring Linux.

I know, I know....both of those operating systems still do their job admirably. Personally, I much prefer OS X / OS X Server, and Apple is smart not to virtualize or license out that software.

As long as I can afford it, I'll take the hit on the wallet for my computer to run the way I like it to, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Have you used Windows 7? It's pretty damned incredible. XP was solid but bloated and didn't handle RAM as well as it should have. Vista was horribly bloated but a step in the right direction, just the wrong step. Windows 7 is an awesome OS. Like I said in the Gaming Rig thread, I boot in ~20 seconds from completely powered off. I have yet to see my computer slow down yet. Every program I open responds immediately -- though I haven't put photoshop on it yet. :lol Point being, Windows 7 is an OS that can stand toe to toe with X without flinching, IMO. There are advantages to both, but OS X is nowhere near the selling point that it used to be, especially considering that Apple is now using Intel chips, meaning you're paying more for an even more similar product.

Drachen
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Have you used Windows 7? It's pretty damned incredible. XP was solid but bloated and didn't handle RAM as well as it should have. Vista was horribly bloated but a step in the right direction, just the wrong step. Windows 7 is an awesome OS. Like I said in the Gaming Rig thread, I boot in ~20 seconds from completely powered off. I have yet to see my computer slow down yet. Every program I open responds immediately -- though I haven't put photoshop on it yet. :lol Point being, Windows 7 is an OS that can stand toe to toe with X without flinching, IMO. There are advantages to both, but OS X is nowhere near the selling point that it used to be, especially considering that Apple is now using Intel chips, meaning you're paying more for an even more similar product.

He did say that each of the other OS options is great in their own rights. I know if the roles were reversed I wouldn't immediately switch either. Let's say that Win7 and OSX are equal (not a big leap or even a small step considering the vast improvement Win7 is over predecessors), that still isn't a very good reason to have to learn a new system. I would assume that as enterprises begin converting to Win7, apple users will begin using it at work, see that it is very good, Then and only then will they consider saving all that cash by buying a PC. Before you tell me that enterprises should have upgraded to Win7 already, take note: there are still a large amount of businesses using IE 6.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
He did say that each of the other OS options is great in their own rights. I know if the roles were reversed I wouldn't immediately switch either. Let's say that Win7 and OSX are equal (not a big leap or even a small step considering the vast improvement Win7 is over predecessors), that still isn't a very good reason to have to learn a new system. I would assume that as enterprises begin converting to Win7, apple users will begin using it at work, see that it is very good, Then and only then will they consider saving all that cash by buying a PC. Before you tell me that enterprises should have upgraded to Win7 already, take note: there are still a large amount of businesses using IE 6.

Oh, I wasn't attempting to debate the issue with him or convince him to "give Windows a shot". It was just a curiosity, to see if he'd used the latest from MS.

leemajors
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
IMO Snow Leopard wasn't much of an improvement, I was disappointed. Windows 7 is great. But both are very, very solid. I work from home on OSX and have my PC next to it for surfing and such.

lefty
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
TBH, I think Windows 7 is great

Dex
03-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, I wasn't attempting to debate the issue with him or convince him to "give Windows a shot". It was just a curiosity, to see if he'd used the latest from MS.

I admittedly haven't had a chance to play with Windows 7 much. Heard it is much improved though.

Fpoonsie
03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
TBH, I think Windows 7 is great

Well, you're welcome...'cause, ya know, it was kinda my idea.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
So now you've resorted to changing quotes to make a point CH? Is that really the best you can do?

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 05:12 PM
So now you've resorted to changing quotes to make a point CH? Is that really the best you can do?

What quote of yours did I change?

PM5K
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I didn't contradict myself, I'll say it again: A gimmick is something that has no relevance or use. It's something companies make up to get you to buy their stuff. Is the name itself gimmicky, I don't know, but the feature it describes is not. Let's say for example that it would be impossible to distinguish between 350 PPI and 700 PPI, but the iPhone 5 had a feature called Retina 2 HD that was 700 PPI, that would be a gimmick.

As for 800x600 res on 17 inch displays, yeah nobody had any problem with it because we didn't know any better. See how many people want to use a screen that size and with that resolution now.

When I used to look at my 3GS I never thought, man this screen looks like shit, and neither did anyone else. So Apple is wrong for giving us something we didn't even know we wanted, but we love now? Why, because they gave it a name some people think is silly? We'd really stifle innovation if companies only gave us what we wanted.

What I said that you changed was that it didn't matter what it was called, it is a beautiful display and that's what sells it.

What I was saying about sunlight wasn't about direct sunlight, you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

The resolution in and of itself doesn't make it high res, what makes it high res is that it's on a 3.5 inch screen, when you do the math you wind up with 326 PPI, if you didn't bother to mention the screen size, or do the math you'd miss the point entirely. 640x960 on a 17 inch screen isn't the same at all, so it's worth noting.

The iPhone 4 display is nicer than the EVO's. It's not as big of a difference as say the 3GS, but it's still nicer.

And, I didn't even mention how nice it looks with the space between the touch screen and the LCD eliminated, which is really what that comment about driving in my car was about, at least in part. Because of that change, what ever is on your screen actually looks like it's ON your screen, not behind it.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
What quote of yours did I change?

Also please show where I used the word "gimmick", thanks. Wouldn't want you to be changing my statements to what other people said. :lol

PM5K
03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what Apple calls their high resolution/high PPI screens, they could have called them anything and they still would have been amazingly popular, because it's Apple.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Ah... okay... so you're saying you disagree with the statement I changed? I wasn't aware that it offended you so much. Personally I thought the change made the statement more accurate than it already was.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 05:50 PM
You said I contradicted myself when I commented on it being a gimmick, so I responded to that. Did you say it in the first place, I didn't bother to look, but you commented on my comment so I commented back.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Ah... okay... so you're saying you disagree with the statement I changed? I wasn't aware that it offended you so much. Personally I thought the change made the statement more accurate than it already was.

Of course I disagree with it personally. It implies that I'm a sheep and I make my decisions based on Apple marketing hype, rather than intelligent decisions based on hardware, software, price, etc.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Of course I disagree with it personally. It implies that I'm a sheep and I make my decisions based on Apple marketing hype, rather than intelligent decisions based on hardware, software, price, etc.

No, it implies that a proportion of Apple's fanbase buys it on nothing but hype. I said nothing about you in particular... you put yourself into that subset. Do you not think that Apple would sell a trillion iPad2s even if it was a horrible device? If you don't view yourself as someone who's like that, then don't put yourself in that demographic.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Do you not think that Apple would sell a trillion iPad2s even if it was a horrible device?

Of course not, but a lot of people seem to think they would.

Rather than accept that Apple makes incredible devices, that are often better than their competitors, fanboys try to make it out that people that buy Apple products do it based on hype.

ElNono
03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Yep, which is exactly what I said earlier in the thread. I just find it funny that it's done so blatantly and people eat it up. A testament to the powers of Apple's marketing division.

If Apple keeps doing it it's because it's working... :lol

As I said, they're far from the only ones being successful in relabeling tech. EZPass, Bitlocker, Beats audio, etc etc etc

ElNono
03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Do you not think that Apple would sell a trillion iPad2s even if it was a horrible device?

I don't think so either. I think the reason they've sold well and that they're able to charge a premium for it is because it's a superior product (we've discussed this before, 'product' doesn't necessarily mean only hardware or only software, but the user experience of both combined).

ElNono
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
And FWIW, you can look at the Apple TV for a constant flop of a product that's priced aggressively but it's very underwhelming.

ElNono
03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Samsung sees iPad 2's thinness, price as challenges (http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2011/03/04/9/0601000000AEN20110304009300320F.HTML)

By Lee Youkyung
SEOUL, March 4 (Yonhap) -- Samsung Electronics Co., the world's second-largest maker of mobile phones, sees the slim design and competitive price of Apple Inc.'s new iPad 2 as its biggest obstacles, a senior official said Friday.

Apple unveiled the latest generation of the iPad tablet computer this week, touted by its chief executive officer Steve Jobs as "dramatically thinner" than its previous model.

The iPad 2 is one-third slimmer than its predecessor at 8.8 millimeters, compared with Samsung's latest 10.9-millimeter tablet computer announced last month.

Lee Don-joo, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile division, said that Apple has presented new challenges for the South Korean company with a thinner mobile gadget that is priced the same as its predecessor.

"We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," Lee told Yonhap News Agency. "Apple made it very thin."

Samsung also made its latest Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet computer larger, faster and thinner than the 7-inch original Galaxy Tab. But the new, larger screen comes at a price.

The 7-inch Galaxy Tab was priced at nearly US$900 without a two-year contract from mobile operators, while the price of the iPad 2 starts at $499, with the most expensive model costing $829. Samsung did not announce the pricing details for the 10.1-inch tablet.

"The 10-inch (tablet) was to be priced higher than the 7-inch (tablet) but we will have to think that over," Lee added.

Samsung, which was one of the companies singled out by Jobs as competitors making "copycat" products, sold 2 million Galaxy Tab tablet computers during the four months since October 2010. Apple sold 15 million iPads in the April-December period.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
When a company can successfully dominate the market with a phone that was already behind the curve when it was released, I will not be surprised when the iPad 2 will sell like hotcakes to the apple masses.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
with a phone that was already behind the curve

What does that mean?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
that last iphone that was released, not the original

PM5K
03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
that last iphone that was released, not the original

In what way was it behind the curve?

MannyIsGod
03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
In what way was it behind the curve?

Really? 4g service for one.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Really? 4g service for one.

So one thing means you're behind the curve? So every phone that didn't have a gyroscope is behind the curve?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
uhoh it seems as if I've offended an apple acolyte

nevermind i take it back, it's the most flawless, amazing piece of technology in the phone industry

FL7yD-0pqZg

PM5K
03-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah I wonder who won that one between the EVO and iPhone 4....

It's a funny video too because they try to rag on the iPhone 4, yet they don't have it in stock, but they do have the EVO.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2011, 10:18 PM
That's the whole point of my original post in this thread.

To put it another way

If they can succeed beyond their wildest dreams with a phone that is not the best of its kind, purely on hype, and get people to flood the market that don't even fully utilize the equipment, then I won't be surprised if people are stupid enough to abandon their iPads and laptops for the iPad2 and make the iPad2 another apple success story.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Get it? I think the iPad2 will be a success. I'm on your side.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
That's the thing, it's not JUST hype. Sure there's hype, some from Apple and some from people that own them, but at the end of the day it's a great phone.

You say behind the curve, but in reality the specs are pretty much the same as the EVO 4G which when the iPhone 4 came out was the main competitor. Sure it doesn't have 4G, but that's just one feature, and just because it doesn't have it doesn't mean the iPhone is sold based on hype, especially when the iPhone had a couple of features the EVO didn't have.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Get it? I think the iPad2 will be a success. I'm on your side.

I think it will be too. Based on hype? Not necessarily. First of all specs wise it can go neck and neck with any other same type device. Another part of it is that if you already have an iPad and sell it to buy an iPad 2, the investment isn't that steep.

Personally I'm in no rush to get an iPad 2, but at some point when I start to see games that my wife's iPad won't run, I'll have to consider an upgrade.

MannyIsGod
03-07-2011, 10:27 PM
So one thing means you're behind the curve? So every phone that didn't have a gyroscope is behind the curve?

:lol

You're funny.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 10:28 PM
:lol

You're funny.

You are too.

MannyIsGod
03-07-2011, 10:29 PM
90% of apples success is based on marketing. Its the same with any of their products. Thats not to say the hardware is crap, but Apple is not making most of their sales based on hardware. Or software.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 10:34 PM
90% of apples success is based on marketing. Its the same with any of their products. Thats not to say the hardware is crap, but Apple is not making most of their sales based on hardware.

I could agree with that if you didn't say 90%.

I'm sure there are people that buy based on hype, but I'm not one of them. Saying that 90% of people buy their products based on hype is overlooking the fact that they consistently make smartphones that are as good or better than anyone elses.

Sure the EVO for example does have 4G, and if I had to choose between a gyroscope and 4G I'd go with 4G, but the iPhone was at least at the time the thinnest smartphone on the planet, with the highest resolution screen, and had many other specs that essentially matched or bettered those of the EVO.

ElNono
03-07-2011, 10:55 PM
You have to wonder what's stopping Apple from dominating every market if their marketing machine is so good... :rolleyes

PM5K
03-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Here's one for CH, since he likes to talk about marketing hype and I believe owns an EVO:

The iPhone 4 and the EVO 4G came out within about three weeks of each other, however some time later an EVO 4G commercial came out that touted a review that said: "A phone that can go toe-to-toe with the iPhone and beat it".

The only problem is, they didn't bother to mention that the quote was about an iPhone 3GS, not an iPhone 4.

That's hype for you.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5485/92061627.png

PM5K
03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
You have to wonder what's stopping Apple from dominating every market if their marketing machine is so good... :rolleyes

I guess someone dropped the ball on the AppleTV. Ain't got one and don't want one.

ElNono
03-07-2011, 11:11 PM
And I disagree completely with Manny that software isn't what's selling phones, and the iPhone in particular. Android has done a lot of catchup and is still doing it, but the availability of software on a platform has always been a major driver for the platform success. Apple certainly changed completely the phone market with the App store and third party development, and it's obvious they've been and still are, up to an extent, reaping the benefits of that. Will Android catch up? Probably. Does it mean Google's marketing is better/different than Apple's? Hardly.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Apple has been a pretty damn interesting story to follow. Other companies can only play defense (research in motion) or catchup in a game that apple has set the rules for (most others).

Either way, flawed strategy. You're right, others are catching up, realizing they need to change the game themselves instead of playing the rigged board that apple has created.

As cliche as this is, i still think apple is in for a rude awakening when Jobs passes away. Enjoy the run now.

ElNono
03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Apple has been a pretty damn interesting story to follow. Other companies can only play defense (research in motion) or catchup in a game that apple has set the rules for (most others).

Either way, flawed strategy. You're right, others are catching up, realizing they need to change the game themselves instead of playing the rigged board that apple has created.

As cliche as this is, i still think apple is in for a rude awakening when Jobs passes away. Enjoy the run now.

Funnily enough, I don't disagree. They went in a downward spiral before, even having shitloads of cash, until Jobs came back.

His ruthlessness changed both the music and cell industry, and he had to do it by being a complete dick to the established powers that be (music labels, carriers).

Every company has a hard time reinventing itself. It's happening with Microsoft too, and will probably happen with Google at some point. Apple is certainly not exempt.

MannyIsGod
03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
And I disagree completely with Manny that software isn't what's selling phones, and the iPhone in particular. Android has done a lot of catchup and is still doing it, but the availability of software on a platform has always been a major driver for the platform success. Apple certainly changed completely the phone market with the App store and third party development, and it's obvious they've been and still are, up to an extent, reaping the benefits of that. Will Android catch up? Probably. Does it mean Google's marketing is better/different than Apple's? Hardly.

I think you give people and their decision making process on tech gadgets far more credit than it ever deserves.

symple19
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
http://patelism.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipad-vs-maxipad-super-absorbant.jpg

http://www.daveandthomas.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/stevejobs-ipad.jpg

http://ifaglet.com/FM3YF.jpg

http://www.comon.dk/polopoly_fs/Appleevolution-1.305376.html!/image/2932711811.png

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/137417/original.jpg

http://deadwildroses.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ipad-fail.jpg

http://digitallyblonde.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ipad1.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_02/sheep240307_486x386.jpg

http://www.ttsw.com/HenrysSheep/PlayBillSheep.gif

http://www.mossonline.com/images/products/big_sheep_ng_310.jpg

http://eternallycool.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/torino-sheep-4.jpg

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dex
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not quite sure I get your point, symple.

PM5K
03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not quite sure I get your point, symple.

Point is he's got a lot of time on his hands.

ElNono
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I think you give people and their decision making process on tech gadgets far more credit than it ever deserves.

I actually give them very little credit, and that's the point. They spend very little time stressing over megahertz, ram size, super AMOLED, etc. The thinking process is closer to: Is it snappy? Does it feels good in my hands and when I use it? Can I check my email on it? Can I print stuff out? Can I run app X, Y or Z? Is it easy to use? How long does the battery last?

And so on...

ElNono
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Which is a lot closer to the PC market for the general population these days... Can it run Office? Can I check my email on it? Can I access my job's VPN with it?

Cry Havoc
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I actually give them very little credit, and that's the point. They spend very little time stressing over megahertz, ram size, super AMOLED, etc. The thinking process is closer to: Is it snappy? Does it feels good in my hands and when I use it? Can I check my email on it? Can I print stuff out? Can I run app X, Y or Z? Is it easy to use? How long does the battery last?

And so on...

I don't even think they put that much thought into it, EN. Take the iPod headphones for example. At least 50% of the headphones I see people using are those little white iBuds that come included with the iPod/iPhone. Do you really think people even give a moment's pause to whether or not they sound good? Nope. They've got the iconic white iBuds, and it plays music. That's all that matters. I.e., they bought what they're told, they're told to be happy with that, and they never think to look past it to anything better. The number of people using those incredibly horrific pieces of contorted plastic shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Boom. Roasted.

MannyIsGod
03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Speaking of PCs, the look on half of my GIS class this semester was epic when the instructor told them they couldn't run ARCGis on their overpriced macbooks. Pay twice as much for a machine that can't even run the software you need. But hey, your apple lights up!

Cry Havoc
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Speaking of PCs, the look on half of my GIS class this semester was epic when the instructor told them they couldn't run ARCGis on their overpriced macbooks. Pay twice as much for a machine that can't even run the software you need. But hey, your apple lights up!

Shucks, that means we won't see any TV mets using iPads to show the 5 day forecast to the rest of the country. :lol

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
But hey, your apple lights up!

Yes it does.

And mine is spelled with a capital A, slap dick.

leemajors
03-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Except that there are several ways to do so.

MannyIsGod
03-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah? What are those? You're positive they work with ARCGIS 10 or are you just talking about generic ways to run windows programs on an Apple machine?

Nathan Explosion
03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't even think they put that much thought into it, EN. Take the iPod headphones for example. At least 50% of the headphones I see people using are those little white iBuds that come included with the iPod/iPhone. Do you really think people even give a moment's pause to whether or not they sound good? Nope. They've got the iconic white iBuds, and it plays music. That's all that matters. I.e., they bought what they're told, they're told to be happy with that, and they never think to look past it to anything better. The number of people using those incredibly horrific pieces of contorted plastic shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

In my case, I'm not going to throw down $100 or more on earbuds because I don't listen to my iPod or iPhone nearly enough to do so. At home, I use my computer. On the road I use my car stereo. Not to mention that I listen to tons of podcasts at work or when doing chores, and really, headphone quality isn't that big of a deal.

In fact, I'd prefer not to use expensive buds as there's a big chance of them getting damaged at work. My earbuds are actually more for making hands free phone calls than listening to things. I bought a Sony pair for fairly cheap and the worked great until I accidentally washed them. I went to buy another and noticed the Apple buds were cheaper so I bought them. The sound quality and fit with the Apple was much better, which was funny to me as I owned the Sony pair longer than the original Apple pair after I fucked up the chord at work.

They may not be the best sound quality, but considering what I need them for, they do the job I asked them too with no problems at all.

I have a pair of bluetooth headphones that are over the ear type because I can't have noise cancellation ones at work that work good too. But they press on my glasses and give me a headache after a while which sucks ass.

koriwhat
03-09-2011, 09:20 PM

you're a schmuck man, plain & simple.

consider this, not everyone gives a damn about sound quality or throwing down $100+ on a pair of headphones. priorities are different for each and every person.

I don't even think they put that much thought into it, CB. Take WinOS for example. At least 50% of the desktops/laptops I see people using are those little white-box pos's that come included with WinOS. Do you really think people even give a moment's pause to whether or not WinOS is a quality product? Nope. They've got the iconic "Hey I can play video games at least" attitude, and it plays games but still comes up short in every other facet of computing and has ever since its inception. That's all that matters. I.e., they bought what they're told, they're told to be happy with that, and they never think to look past it to anything better like OSX or LinuxOS. The number of people using that shitty WinOS, anything MS, shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

koriwhat
03-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah? What are those? You're positive they work with ARCGIS 10 or are you just talking about generic ways to run windows programs on an Apple machine?

yeah, because a mac can't run WinOS or some virtual machine... :sleep

MannyIsGod
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
You don't seem to understand. Those methods do not run ARCGIS 10 in a stable manner at all.

Accept that the Mac can't run it. Its OK.

ElNono
03-09-2011, 09:58 PM

I don't know one person that owns an iPod and use the earbuds that come with it. Heck, I don't know one person that owns an iPod and actually use headphones, period (disclaimer: I'm in my mid-30's and so are most of the people around me). Most people I know use it on their cars, or docked to some speakers.

If you think that what made the iPod the premiere portable music player was the earbuds, you're looking at this from a completely wrong angle.
It felt good in your hands, was easy to use, had enough capacity, it was easy to purchase the music you wanted, it was somewhat lenient about moving the purchases you made (better than WMA anyways), or use the collection you already pirated, and major labels backed it up due to the rampant piracy out there.

Again, there's plenty of Apple products that never gained any traction even though they use the same marketing machine (ie: Apple TV, the old G4 Cube, the MacBook Air, the now discontinued XServe, Mac Pros, etc).

I do think people are fairly naive, but they do normally buy what they find convenient. They're also reluctant to change unless what's being offered is miles better than what they had.

Just my 2c anyways.

ElNono
03-09-2011, 10:05 PM
You don't seem to understand. Those methods do not run ARCGIS 10 in a stable manner at all.

Accept that the Mac can't run it. Its OK.

Don't be silly Manny...

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgis/archive/2010/05/05/VMWare-Publishes-Deployment-Guide-for-ArcGIS-Server.aspx

Heck, they even recommend it to run multiple versions...

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgis/archive/2009/10/23/Installing-ArcGIS-9.4-_2800_and-can-you-leave-9.3.1-on-the-machine_2900_.aspx

You will take a performance hit for running it on a VM, but everything does.
And if you want to run native, just boot up Boot Camp and off you go...

Cant_Be_Faded
03-09-2011, 10:14 PM
you guys should know better than to challenge manny at stuff

he has a record of like 3940-0

ElNono
03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Sorry, I take that back... your instructor is silly... :lol

MannyIsGod
03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
El Nono where does it say "on a Mac"? Is it possible that running a virtual machine on a windows platform would operate ok while not on a mac? No offense, but I'm going to believe the man with a lot more usage of this software than you. Its ironic because he's a Mac guy.

Its OK. Just accept it. It will be OK tomorrow and the sun will still rise.

koriwhat
03-09-2011, 11:01 PM
El Nono where does it say "on a Mac"? Is it possible that running a virtual machine on a windows platform would operate ok while not on a mac? No offense, but I'm going to believe the man with a lot more usage of this software than you. Its ironic because he's a Mac guy.

yeah i'd trust your professor too, i mean, the developer can't possibly know whatthefuck they're talking about.

leemajors
03-09-2011, 11:06 PM

http://edcommunity.esri.com/software/mac/

leemajors
03-09-2011, 11:07 PM

you should have just deleted it.

ElNono
03-09-2011, 11:17 PM

No. There's zero difference. As a matter of fact, you can create a VMWare virtual machine on any platform (linux, mac, windows), copy it over, and run it on any other platform. From your comment, I gather you're not familiar with VMWare at all...

And BTW, Boot Camp is not even virtualization. It's actually running Windows off a separate partition straight up on the Mac hardware, which is really no different than any other PC. I gather you're not familiar with that either...

I have a lot of respect for you Manny, but what you just posted comes across as completely ignorant for anybody halfway tech-savvy...

Again, not your fault. You were just passed bad info.

What do I exactly need to accept? :lol

I wouldn't buy a Mac myself to run that kind of software.

The only Apple 'desktops' we have are MacMini at home and an iMac and a MacBook at the office. The other 12 or so machines are all regular PCs or servers running Linux, FreeBSD or Windows. I've probably written more Unix and Windows software in the past 10 years than actual desktop Mac apps.

I have nothing at 'stake' when it comes to platform wars. I work with what pays the bills.

And, BTW, we can talk emulation and virtualization all day. Have you ever heard of Mame (http://mamedev.org/)?

MannyIsGod
03-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the info el nono. It appears I was wrong.

koriwhat
03-10-2011, 01:03 AM

always & forever.

ElNono
03-10-2011, 01:04 AM

The instructor was probably lazy enough not to have to deal with people asking him what hoops needed to be jumped to get things going.

That's not your fault though. :toast

Cant_Be_Faded
03-10-2011, 09:20 PM

whoaahwhwhahwhwhawhwhwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaat?

leemajors
03-12-2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/12/ipad-2-specs-discerned-900mhz-arm-cortex-a9-and-powervr-sgx543m/

As you'll no doubt be aware having read our headline above, there actually isn't a 1GHz CPU at the helm, as AnandTech and IOSnoops report the dual-core ARM Cortex A9 is dynamically clocked around 900MHz, likely in search of reduced power consumption. Perhaps more interestingly for all you gamers in the audience, the iPad 2 reports that it has a dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU on the die as originally foretold -- and, spoiler alert -- it mops the floor with both the original iPad and the Motorola Xoom. Though the new chip didn't quite demonstrate 9X the graphical prowess of its predecessor, it rendered 57.6 frames per second in a GLBenchmark test where the (admittedly higher-res) Tegra 2 tablet managed only 26.7fps, and last year's iPad pulled only 17.6fps

resistanze
03-12-2011, 09:58 PM
I just wanna see how the gd iPhone 5 looks like.

lefty
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Apple is still the best

Viva Las Espuelas
03-13-2011, 12:08 AM
I just wanna see how the gd iPhone 5 looks like.

I'm slightly interested. If it doesn't completely blow me away with the specs and come out in the next 2 months, I ain't getting it.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-13-2011, 12:11 AM
wow. same amount of RAM as the iPhone 4????

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/03/apples_a5_cpu_in_ipad_2_has_512mb_of_ram_same_as_i phone_4_report.html

slight weaksauce but nothing major. "slight"

ElNono
03-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Memory just isn't that big of a factor as it is on Android though... reason being that in order to conserve battery, apps have a very small multi-task window (aprox 20 secs) until the process is frozen, stored and memory reclaimed. Now, I can give you arguments of why that sucks, but it has it benefits too, specifically with battery savings in mind (which I'm inclined to think it's the reason why it was done like that, since the underlying OS is capable of regular multitasking).

I also think some of these reviews and benchmarks will be revisited later on, because most of the apps out there still do not take full advantage of the new SGX graphics core, and most specifically the dual core processor. Apple introduced the API for grand-central type of multicore support with iOS 4.0, but a lot of people didn't really use it because there was no multicore devices out there at the time, and because it would break compatibility with devices still running iOS 3... As the crowd of users move towards iOS 4 devices that stops being a concern, and the new API can be fully utilized.

PM5K
03-13-2011, 01:44 AM
I'd never turn down more RAM, but at the same time you have to understand that for example the PS3 has 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM. Sure it's a different system, but that tells you that RAM is dependent on what you want to do, and very importantly, how your OS is written.

I think Apple made a decision that the overall experience would still be very good with the new CPU and the new GPU and that the cost of adding more RAM wasn't worth it at this time.

Let's not also forget that the speed and type of RAM is important as well. My understanding is that let's say compared to the Xoom, the iPad2 has dual as opposed to single channel memory, and it's faster memory, 1066 vs 667mhz.

At the end of the day Apple has to juggle, and I think they chose the right upgrades that would have the most impact, I think if they had added more RAM it would have been hard to maintain the previous generation price points we are so used to.

DJ Mbenga
03-13-2011, 02:31 AM
ios isnt made for multitasking but it doesnt mean its not effecient. the ram is low for us but in reality its enough. now for something like web os you need the ram cause that thing is a multitasking beast. im sure the dedicated gpu helps as well

Cry Havoc
03-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Memory just isn't that big of a factor as it is on Android though... reason being that in order to conserve battery, apps have a very small multi-task window (aprox 20 secs) until the process is frozen, stored and memory reclaimed. Now, I can give you arguments of why that sucks, but it has it benefits too, specifically with battery savings in mind (which I'm inclined to think it's the reason why it was done like that, since the underlying OS is capable of regular multitasking).

You're wrong, according to Engadget:

In terms of its relationship with your iPhone, Epic's Infinity Blade has a predictably ruinous effect on battery life. We managed to halve a fully charged iPhone's juice with a three-hour session of on-and-off gaming, but backgrounding this app has also shown to be energy-intensive. In our limited experience, we saw our iPhone 4 chew through an atypically large chunk of its energy reserves while we had Blade in the background, meaning that you'll want to shut it down completely when you're done with it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/09/app-review-infinity-blade-iphone/

ElNono
03-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Not wrong:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/BackgroundExecution/BackgroundExecution.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH5-SW11

and

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/CoreApplication/CoreApplication.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH3-SW1

Most applications that enter the background state are moved to the suspended state shortly thereafter. While in this state, the application does not execute any code and may be removed from memory at any time. Applications that provide specific services to the user can request background execution time in order to provide those services.

And FWIW, I've played through Infinity Blade on my iPhone4, and backgrounded it with no side effect to the battery.

You have to wonder if they were using a jailbroken phone with an actual true multitasking switcher (there's some of those available for jailbroken phones).

ElNono
03-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I should add that IB does looks incredibly gorgeous on the iPhone 4 screen and it does eats up your battery rather quickly while playing it, probably faster than watching video.
It should be interesting to see if the SGX on the iPad 2 actually diminishes that battery usage too considering that gfx chip shouldn't sweat it while running it.

ElNono
03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
iPad 2: Don't take it apart, or risk cracked glass (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/031211-ipad2-teardown-apple-ifixit.html)

Heath Ledger
03-14-2011, 02:30 AM

At the end of the day Apple has to juggle, and I think they chose the right upgrades that would have the most impact, I think if they had added more RAM it would have been hard to maintain the previous generation price points we are so used to.

Thats pretty much false. Apple can add as many uprades as they want because they can basicly subsidize due to the projected sales of apps from the app store. That is why nobody else can remotely touch Apple in the tablet market.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-14-2011, 08:13 AM

http://www.offuhuge.com/files/U8dAXJpT1.jpg

Cry Havoc
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM

What's funny, Viva? I was just sourcing something Engadget said, since they know more about the iPad than I do. I got a response from Elnono that gave me more information. I'm still puzzled as to the disparity between the two reports (although EN's explanation seems likely), but thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread. :tu

PM5K
03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
What's funny, Viva? I was just sourcing something Engadget said, since they know more about the iPad than I do. I got a response from Elnono that gave me more information. I'm still puzzled as to the disparity between the two reports (although EN's explanation seems likely), but thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread. :tu

Could have just been a bug in the earlier version of IB.

ElNono
03-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Could have just been a bug in the earlier version of IB.

Or iOS, which is not without faults of it's own. Thats why rebooting the iPhone from time to time is not a bad idea (I probably do it once every 2,3 months)

ElNono
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Thats pretty much false. Apple can add as many uprades as they want because they can basicly subsidize due to the projected sales of apps from the app store. That is why nobody else can remotely touch Apple in the tablet market.

True, which is somewhat the model console makers use to subsidize the consoles...

koriwhat
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM

back peddling, back peddling... that's your saying, right? dumbass.