PDA

View Full Version : The Good News

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I know a lot of Spurs fans are bummed about Corey Brewer signing with Dallas, but this is a positive thing for the Spurs at least where James Anderson is considered. Even as a rookie Anderson is a more well-rounded player than Brewer in his 4th year. Brewer is experienced, longer and a better defender, but Anderson is a much better offensive player and a pretty good defender as well. You don't have to stretch the imagination too much to realize with similar minutes on a crappy team, Anderson would most likely, out perform Brewer.

Anderson, when given the opportunity, plays half the minutes of Brewer and averages half the points. However, JA shoots 41% FG & 44% from the 3pt line compared to Brewer's 38% & 26:wow%. Per 36 stats has the two players pretty evenly matched with Brewer having a slight advantage defensively and Anderson edging out Brewer offensively. Advanced stats show Anderson blows Brewer out of the water offensively and hardly a difference defensively. Anderson's defensive rating is 109 to Brewer's 111.

I don't want to downplay the fact that the Spurs definitely could have used Brewer and that it's a kick in the nuts that he is signing with our Sisters to the North, but he also would have crushed Anderson's development, minutes and opportunity. Let's hope Pop gives the kid a chance to show his potential and Anderson makes the most out of the minutes he gets.:toast

Budkin
03-02-2011, 06:14 PM
How much can Anderson help this season though? This may be our last chance to win it all in the Duncan era.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
How much can Anderson help this season though? This may be our last chance to win it all in the Duncan era.

I don't know. I don't have a lot of faith in Pop to give him the opportunity that I feel he deserves, but Pop has shown a bit more flexibility in giving the young guys his faith this year more than ever.

weebo
03-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Brewer wouldn't have helped much this year anyway. How long does it take newcomers to acclimate to the spurs style of play?

Dex
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, Anderson is going to get a chance to sink or swim over the next 2-4 weeks, so we'll probably have a much better idea at that point.

slick'81
03-02-2011, 06:22 PM
true anderson will get some minutes and hopefully keeps knocking downs those tres

yavozerb
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
true anderson will get some minutes and hopefully keeps knocking downs those tres

I think he will continue shooting well since that has always been his strength dating back to college..His defense is what is going to keep him in the rotation.

cd98
03-02-2011, 06:32 PM
BS. Anderson isn't ready. Brewer is. Maybe in 3 years Anderson will be better, but not this year. A big score for the Mavs.

yavozerb
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
BS. Anderson isn't ready. Brewer is. Maybe in 3 years Anderson will be better, but not this year. A big score for the Mavs.

Brewer is definatly the more seasoned player, but lets not make Brewer out to be an above average NBA sf..For 1, the guy just got cut from the Knicks. I would have like to have Brewer, but its not the end of the title run cause he's not coming to the spurs, JA well step up.

Obstructed_View
03-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Brewer would have been a nice help, but he can't run point, which is what the Spurs need right now. RJ and JA will be fine at that position.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 06:47 PM

How did you learn to write without the ability to read?

Mel_13
03-02-2011, 06:47 PM

:lol

cd98
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM

How did you compare Brewer to Anderson based on Anderson's six games in the league?

Agloco
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Brewer is definatly the more seasoned player, but lets not make Brewer out to be an above average NBA sf..For 1, the guy just got cut from the Knicks. I would have like to have Brewer, but its not the end of the title run cause he's not coming to the spurs, JA well step up.

He got cut because he didn't fit in up there. They need wing shooters. Brewer won't be mistaken for one anytime soon.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
How did you compare Brewer to Anderson based on Anderson's six games in the league?

If you could read, you wouldn't ask that question.

shorttotry
03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, we did need the defense at that position, but I'm not terribly upset about this. I have a really good feeling about JA's potential on both ends of the court. I also am a fan of his work ethic. Hopefully all these things will blossom this season!

ElNono
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Agree Anderson isn't ready. Brewer isn't coming. We've done pretty well without either.

Move on.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I Miss Point. Me Agree GNSF. Spurs R Screwed!

sefant77
03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Anderson, when given the opportunity, plays half the minutes of Brewer and averages half the points. However, JA shoots 41% FG & 44% from the 3pt line compared to Brewer's 38% & 26:wow%. Per 36 stats has the two players pretty evenly matched with Brewer having a slight advantage defensively and Anderson edging out Brewer offensively. Advanced stats show Anderson blows Brewer out of the water offensively and hardly a difference defensively. Anderson's defensive rating is 109 to Brewer's 111.

Did you just compare 13 games/13MPG to 56 games/24min?

:wow:lol

Mel_13
03-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Why not?

MavFan projects Roddy to be an All-Star based on less.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Yes. Yes, I did. Congratulations on Brewer.

ElNono
03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Didn't know we weren't supposed to disagree. Apologize.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:18 PM
The point that a lot of you seem to be missing here is:

Although, Brewer would have been a great addition to the roster . . . Anderson has more potential and his development will not be hindered by someone who will soak up the minutes and already small opportunity that he has.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Didn't know we weren't supposed to disagree. Apologize.

I'm just giving you a hard time. You can disagree, just don't shit all over the whole concept.

ElNono
03-02-2011, 07:25 PM
FWIW, I did get your point. I just don't care at this point in time (no offense intended).
I'm more interested at what can we do now to maximize our chances this season than looking too far ahead.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Losing the last 20ish games wouldn't have hurt Anderson any more than the time he's already missed. Pointless thread.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:33 PM
FWIW, I did get your point. I just don't care at this point in time (no offense intended).
I'm more interested at what can we do now to maximize our chances this season than looking too far ahead.

Play better defense and stay as healthy as possible . . . that's about it. There's not a player that the Spurs could reasonably attain, at this point, that will put them over the top.
For me, whatever positives Brewer could have given the Spurs in the remaining days of the season/post does not outweigh the damage avoided to Anderson's development and I think that effects this season as well as far ahead.

elemento
03-02-2011, 07:38 PM
While i agree with you that losing Brewer isn't the end of the world and James Anderson is an ok backup, i haven't seen any indication that James Anderson is a good defender from what I've seen so far. He showed he can shoot (we all knew that and i'm glad he can do that in the big stage), but defensively I haven't seen anything. He doesn't have size or enough athleticism to defend the 3 and the only reason he is going to backup RJ this season is the lack of options. He is a SG and that's how i see him in the future.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Losing the last 20ish games wouldn't have hurt Anderson any more than the time he's already missed. Pointless thread.

I don't agree with that at all. He has a place in the pecking order. He has the confidence that the Spurs have faith in him. They have invested time and energy in giving him a place in the rotation. If the Spurs didn't believe he could help, why wouldn't they just leave him in Austin and keep Novak or some other random waived player or d-leaguer?

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
While i agree with you that losing Brewer isn't the end of the world and James Anderson is an ok backup, i haven't seen any indication that James Anderson is a good defender from what I've seen so far. He showed he can shoot (we all knew that and i'm glad he can do that in the big stage), but defensively I haven't seen anything. He doesn't have size or enough athleticism to defend the 3 and the only reason he is going to backup RJ this season is the lack of options. He is a SG and that's how i see him in the future.

He is a natural SG, sure . . . but, from what I've seen, he's done a decent job at the SF on both ends of the court. He can move his feet laterally and stay in front of his man and is strong on the low block too. He needs more time, but I guarantee he will be better than Brewer possibly as soon as next season and he is good enough to help in the limited minutes that Brewer would have got this season.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 07:46 PM
My comment was aimed at the Brewer situation. The Spurs adding Brewer makes no difference in Anderson's development...as he has missed most of the season anyway.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 07:59 PM
My comment was aimed at the Brewer situation. The Spurs adding Brewer makes no difference in Anderson's development...as he has missed most of the season anyway.

Anderson may get an opportunity to contribute to the back third/playoffs or, he may not. Brewer's signing with the Spurs would have killed that possibility. If Anderson gets an opportunity and contributes to a successful playoff team, it would do wonders for his confidence and development.

DesignatedT
03-02-2011, 08:01 PM
The good news = Were 49-10 when healthy with this squad.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm fine with Brewer killing that possibility...whatever little possibility there is.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm fine with Brewer killing that possibility...whatever little possibility there is.

Well, Brewer ain't coming . . . this is, admittedly a "silver lining" thread, but I do believe that Anderson will become a more complete player than Brewer. He is already better offensively. Also, the difference between whatever potential minutes Brewer would get and Anderson might is, more than likely, negligible.

DPG21920
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
It's not about him putting the Spurs over the top. What it is about is managing minutes. Which the Spurs will have a tough time doing (already have with Manu) with TP out.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 08:41 PM
It's not about him putting the Spurs over the top. What it is about is managing minutes. Which the Spurs will have a tough time doing (already have with Manu) with TP out.

I get that, but I don't really see what Brewer specifically could do about the Spurs starting PG being out that guys who are already here and not getting minutes can't do. If we were talking about signing a PG, I could see your point.

ginobilized
03-02-2011, 08:45 PM
ohmwrecker,

i like your style, dude

wildbill2u
03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
You can't develop or coach height and athleticism. Brerwer has both and since he can't shoot is willing to stake his career on defense.

Not many players will do that. Bowen was one--and he became a starter because that was his role and he played it to the best of his ability. I doubt Brewer would have made out as well, but guys like that are useful role players when the shoorters go cold.

Sean Cagney
03-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Yep a great team already gets even f in better, no positive spin on this here this year IMO! NONE. Dallas is deep as hell right now, no way I see us beating them as is in the playoffs and I am just being honest.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
So much for Anderson's "development". He saw 10min in a game the Spurs had well in hand for most of the second half...most of that late in the 4th.

Spurs Brazil
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Anderson took the whole preseason to get back in shape. If he keep getting minutes with TP down he'll be fine in 2 weeks

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
So much for Anderson's "development". He saw 10min in a game the Spurs had well in hand for most of the second half...most of that late in the 4th.

It's just my opinion . . . I can't make Pop give the dude minutes. I wasn't making a bold prediction here.

I think it was more important, from Pop's perspective, to give Hill and Neal the minutes and confidence going forward than to give Anderson some run. I am still going to hold out hope for him getting a solid opportunity though.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
He's just missed too much time. I do agree that he does have nice upside though and he should be able to play a nice role next season if he continues to progress.

Obstructed_View
03-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Your knees must be sore from all the jerking.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Your knees must be sore from all the jerking.
Part of that statement was just me being an ass. It happens when I get tired.

Obstructed_View
03-02-2011, 09:55 PM

:lol No worries. I'm a little weary from otherwise smart Spurs fans writing this guy or that guy off after one bad performance. The Spurs are in a bit of disarray at the moment; what we want to see is how guys overcome it and play through it. I'm pretty pleased with the effort from all of them so far.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 09:57 PM
He's probably gonna be ok. I still don't think he'll make it back in time to be any sort of help in the playoffs...but I'd be happy to be wrong.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 09:58 PM

You should take a long, relaxing vacation tbh.

Obstructed_View
03-02-2011, 09:59 PM
He's probably gonna be ok. I still don't think he'll make it back in time to be any sort of help in the playoffs...but I'd be happy to be wrong.

It's possible. I wish I could say that Pop will give him every opportunity to contribute between now and the end of the year with any confidence.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
You should take a long, relaxing vacation tbh.
I wish. My wife just started a new job so we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I am off tomorrow though, so that's better than nothing.

Budkin
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Brewer wouldn't have helped much this year anyway. How long does it take newcomers to acclimate to the spurs style of play?

I think it may have been an exception with him because our defense is so poor, but overall yeah newcomers don't play for shit.

DJB
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Is that supposed to mean that Corey Brewer would have led us to the promiseland?

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I think it may have been an exception with him because our defense is so poor, but overall yeah newcomers don't play for shit.

The defense is not poor, it's inconsistent. The Spurs have played some of the best defense of any team I've watched this year . . . It just mostly occurs in the 4th quarter. You don't win 50/61 playing poor defense.

cd98
03-02-2011, 10:23 PM
The point that a lot of you seem to be missing here is:

Although, Brewer would have been a great addition to the roster . . . Anderson has more potential and his development will not be hindered by someone who will soak up the minutes and already small opportunity that he has.

Anderson had a few decent shooting games in the first few games of the season. I don't know where you extract from those few games that he has more potential than Brewer. We don't know if he is a rotation player and he's probably two seasons away from proving it.

Brewer is a rotation player and I'd bet his offensive numbers improve with Mavs. Big loss for the Spurs.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Anderson had a few decent shooting games in the first few games of the season. I don't know where you extract from those few games that he has more potential than Brewer. We don't know if he is a rotation player and he's probably two seasons away from proving it.

Brewer is a rotation player and I'd bet his offensive numbers improve with Mavs. Big loss for the Spurs.

This thread is not about the Spurs missing out on Brewer not being a loss. I never said the Spurs didn't miss out or Dallas wasn't fortunate to get him. Why people bother to respond when they don't read the OP is beyond me.

The observation that Anderson has more potential than Brewer comes from watching both players and seeing that Brewer is a one dimensional player (I'm also not saying that the Spurs couldn't have used the defense at that position so, don't get the wrong idea) and Anderson possesses a more complete set of offensive skills and a potential to be very good defender. Brewer is in his 4th year in the league and still hasn't developed any offensive game to speak of despite getting heavy minutes on a perennial lottery team. In 1/8 of games played Anderson has shown he has the potential to be a complete two-way player.

trollt
03-02-2011, 11:22 PM
I Miss Point. Me Agree GNSF. Spurs R Screwed!

how swiftly things change

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
how swiftly things change

Hi, DMC!

I was using the term parodically tbh.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
How many accounts did you start after being banned?

timtonymanu
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Let's not forget a lot of posters were content with Anderson being the back-up SF when he was healthy. I definitely think the addition of Brewer would have hindered Anderson's development to the point where the Spurs would trade him away for a bag of chips.

IIRC, Anderson made very little rookie mistakes.

Hoops Czar
03-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Who cares about the future, the Spurs should be focused on the now. The Spurs F.O. is top blame for this mess. The spurs chose to resign Bonner and RJ instead of freeing up some money and now you have the most expensive three-point shooter in the NBA and a one-dimensional center who stands on the perimeter waiting for his three or four touches per game while eating up 20 minutes/game. Sentimentality won out over making the team better.

G-Dawgg
03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Mavs are gonna win the west with this signing. Brewer is a Kobe-stopper.... -Just saying

ohmwrecker
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
:cryGreat fucking takes:cry

Budkin
03-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Mavs are gonna win the west with this signing. Brewer is a Kobe-stopper.... -Just saying

http://str8hoops.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/ruben-patterson-christmas-ecard.jpg

Yeah just like this guy...

bus driver
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
fuck brewer and the mavs :flipoff
the bus isnt making anymore stops :ihit
the pedal is to the floor and the spurs are ready to roll over whoever is in the way. :flag:

cd98
03-03-2011, 01:28 PM
This thread is not about the Spurs missing out on Brewer not being a loss. I never said the Spurs didn't miss out or Dallas wasn't fortunate to get him. Why people bother to respond when they don't read the OP is beyond me.

The observation that Anderson has more potential than Brewer comes from watching both players and seeing that Brewer is a one dimensional player (I'm also not saying that the Spurs couldn't have used the defense at that position so, don't get the wrong idea) and Anderson possesses a more complete set of offensive skills and a potential to be very good defender. Brewer is in his 4th year in the league and still hasn't developed any offensive game to speak of despite getting heavy minutes on a perennial lottery team. In 1/8 of games played Anderson has shown he has the potential to be a complete two-way player.

You've observed Anderson since he came back? His offense looks nonexistent (before he left he shot well, but not enough games to warrant any kind of a conclusion). His defense has not been spectacular and his offense appears to be limited to shooting the open three. He had a bit more diversity in the D-league, but I'm sure Brewer would be a 20 point scorer in the D-league. Yes, Anderson may develop into more, but he has yet to show it on the court; and I have seen nothing that would conclude that he will be a better player than Brewer in five years.

Brewer has shown he is a top notch defender. Give him the chance to develop his offense game on a decent team. He's played on the T'Wolves for 4 years; I bet we see an improvement with the Mavs (I only hope we don't see it in the playoffs).

ohmwrecker
03-03-2011, 02:09 PM
You've observed Anderson since he came back? His offense looks nonexistent (before he left he shot well, but not enough games to warrant any kind of a conclusion). His defense has not been spectacular and his offense appears to be limited to shooting the open three. He had a bit more diversity in the D-league, but I'm sure Brewer would be a 20 point scorer in the D-league. Yes, Anderson may develop into more, but he has yet to show it on the court; and I have seen nothing that would conclude that he will be a better player than Brewer in five years.

He is, obviously, working his way back into a rotation that has been set without his availability and coming off an injury. Of course, my observations are not solely based on the few minutes he's received since rejoining the team. I watched some games he played in while on the Toros, his 13 games before he was injured and a few of college games as well. He has better offensive skills than Brewer. Period.

Brewer has shown he is a top notch defender. Give him the chance to develop his offense game on a decent team. He's played on the T'Wolves for 4 years; I bet we see an improvement with the Mavs (I only hope we don't see it in the playoffs).

Again . . . this is not about Brewer being a good/bad player. It's about what Anderson can bring to the Spurs in comparison to Brewer. My point is, he has had 4 years to develop his offense on a team where he gets plenty of opportunities and he has yet to do so. He not going to magically develop an offensive game on a good team. The Mavs signed him for his specific skill set . . . defense, because that is what has kept him in the league. If anything improves right away it will be his shooting % because he will get more open looks on a good team, but his attempts are going to fall dramatically.

Can you at least try to comprehend what I am saying before responding? This is getting laborious and tiresome.

jjktkk
03-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Brewer actually would of had a better chance to develop more offensively with a bad team. And with this being Brewer's 4th season, how much more longer does it take to develop an offensive game? Brewer's a solid defender and would of helped the Spurs, but hes not gonna all of a sudden breakout on offense.

SPurs206
03-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I was pissed who's going to shut down Kobe or Pierce. Guards score at ease on us.

spurs10
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
More good news is only 5 guys can play at any time. If Brewer had come he would have indeed taken more time from Anderson, who is a better package all around. We will need to give more playing time to Anderson instead. Also as far as depth goes Dice, Neal, Anderson, Bonner, Hill and Tiago coming off the bench isn't horrible. Everybody steps up their defense and I like our chances, with or without Brewer.