PDA

View Full Version : Most NBA owners are just not smart guys

Koolaid_Man
03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
really one good "break-out" year of sorts...1 good year...and they open the bank vault for him...

and yet they complain...the league should contract..meaning cut loose the small market teams...(sorry SA) :lol but seriously how can you complain about player salaries, revenue sharing etc, when you're doing shit like this.....it makes no sense...Dude will probably fall off next year he hasn't proven himself to me...1 really great year doesn't cut the mustard or the "smell test" as they say...:lol...especially being a white guy in a black guy dominated league...based on that alone I'd be real reserved to throw that kind of money at him right away...he's subject to crack soon...:lol

Minnesota To Offer $70M Extension To Love

Mar 03, 2011 1:55 AM EST

http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Love_Kevin_min_090126.jpg
The Wolves are expected to offer Kevin Love a $70 million contract extension this offseason following a resolution to the NBA's CBA negotiations, according to a report from Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press.

Love will be eligible for an extension of five seasons if there is no change from the current rules applying to players coming off their rookie contract.
Kevin Durant signed a five-year, $85 million contract extension last summer when he became eligible for the first time.

Via Charley Walters/Pioneer Press (http://www.twincities.com/ci_17519970?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211721/Minnesota_To_Offer_$70M_Extension_To_Love#ixzz1FXj LEJ7V

ElNono
03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
LA gave Bynum a 4 year/$58 million contract and they're still wishing he would produce Love's numbers...

spursbird
03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah, but they earned more than you. So they are much smarter than you.

Giuseppe
03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
LA gave Bynum a 4 year/$58 million contract and they're still wishing he would produce Love's numbers...

But, we settled for 15 & 16.

tee, hee.

alchemist
03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Durant = 85 million
Kevin "the stat padder" Love = 70 million

Love isn't even in the same ballpark as Durant.

sefant77
03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Love isnt a franchise player but he is an awesome 2nd option.

11-12mio/year is a nice price for a great 2nd option.

Minny also has tons of cheap guys and they need to spend the league minimum in salaries anyway...

alchemist
03-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Love isnt a franchise player but he is an awesome 2nd option.

11-12mio/year is a nice price for a great 2nd option.

Minny also has tons of cheap guys and they need to spend the league minimum in salaries anyway...
Love is a great 3rd option, if he's your second best you're in trouble.

sefant77
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Get him a franchise player guard or wing and add a good/great defensive center and you are fine with him as 2nd option.

Killakobe81
03-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Kool's point is still valid, the reason I never feel sorry for small market teams or their owners is because they complain about escalating salary costs then overpay players. Not sure I have much quibble with this one though. minny is a city that has to overpay to keep talent and Love though it took him a few seasons to get here (level of production)has been amazing at every level of basketball ...

I just dont see how owners are allowed to be babied by the CBA when they should police themselves ...in any other Franchise business model you set a budget for operating expenses and you stick to it. If you can not pay the cost of doing business in your field and are not profitable, you get out.

Look at the Spurs they stay under the lux tax (for most of their run) and have plenty of 50 win seasons, are profitable and have rings to show for it. Sure they were blessed with Duncan but they paid franchise money to franchise players ...when you over pay 2nd tier stars (Alan houtson, Joe Johnson) you are doomed to being good but not good enough.

I like Love but if he is making that type of money it will be tough for a small market team like Minny to have two players at that salary so the wolves will continue to suck if they cant find a legit star worth that kind of money to pair him with. Then they will have to pay two fraqnchise salraies and Love is no Tim duncan ...

Rummpd
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Perhaps, this is at least a plausible savy signing. Love is setting historical numbers as a rebounder and also as a scoring option; and at least getting some interest for Minn and IMO deserves the props even if the salary a little high. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?league=west&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fleague%3dwest

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics

His PER leads the West right now and he is 4th in the entire NBA - granted it if for a poor team but this guy also brings it every single night and I went to see a game in NO as much to see him as to see Chris Paul on a trip and he was very good in that game.

Moreover, if anyone is ever going to play for MN at least now they now this guy is going to be there and down the road 10 mill might prove a bargain relatively. We are not talking Eddy Curry here or someone that has not produced. Plus with the new bargaining agreement it might even more to lock up a franchise player and 7 years might not be an option. Who else is MN going to get to come there anyway, this productive, for that same money?

Cry Havoc
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Kool's point is still valid, the reason I never feel sorry for small market teams or their owners is because they complain about escalating salary costs then overpay players.

Because they have to? Or do you think people are going to watch the TWolves when they have to let Love go and end up struggling to get a single decent player?

Amazing that a Laker fan with Bynum, Walton, Blake, and Artest (to say nothing of Kobe) signed to huge contracts is talking about small markets overpaying players. Hey, maybe they're just trying to stay competitive with the tools they have?

I just dont see how owners are allowed to be babied by the CBA when they should police themselves ...in any other Franchise business model you set a budget for operating expenses and you stick to it. If you can not pay the cost of doing business in your field and are not profitable, you get out.

:wow So your solution to the fact that 4 teams have $80+ million in pay this season is just to say, "Tough, you don't like it, close down your franchise!"? Do you think this is a reliable business model?

Look at the Spurs the stay under the lux tax for most of their run have plenty of 50 win seasons, are profitable and have rings to show for it. Sure they were blessed with duncan but they paid franchise money to franchise players ...when you over pay 2nd tier stars (Alan houtson, Joe Johnson) you are doomed to being good but not good enough.

The Spurs are THE exception. And not only did they get Duncan, but they've arguably drafted better than any other team in the league over the past 10 years. If that's what it takes for a small market to stay competitive, there's a problem there. Small market teams shouldn't be punished more than large markets simply because if the big teams make a mistake they just write another check to a big name player and go about their way.

I like Love but if he is making that type of money will be tough for a small market team to have two players at that salary and the wolves will continue to suck if they cant find a legit star worth that kind of money to pair him with. He is no Tim duncan ...

Right. So all a small market needs to compete is to fall to the bottom of the standings, and win the lottery in a year where there is a top 10 player of all-time who wants to play for them and isn't going to jump ship for a better (richer) team in 5 years?

Dice
03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
The smaller markets are forced to gamble due to the attention the larger markets receive from free agents... and those who aren't even free agents. Love is solid but will never put asses in the seats. They should've just kept Jefferson.

I disagree. He's not a big name draw for other teams but for local middle aged NBA fans, he's exactly the type of guy people root for. Win or lose, he'll have fans as long as he plays hard and puts up decent numbers and local fans will go see the games just to see him play even if their team isn't doing well.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Message board posters are the smart ones.

xellos88330
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Kool's point is still valid, the reason I never feel sorry for small market teams or their owners is because they complain about escalating salary costs then overpay players. Not sure I have much quibble with this one though. minny is a city that has to overpay to keep talent and Love though it took him a few seasons to get here (level of production)has been amazing at every level of basketball ...

Look at the Spurs the stay under the lux tax for most of their run have plenty of 50 win seasons, are profitable and have rings to show for it. Sure they were blessed with duncan but they paid franchise money to franchise players ...when you over pay 2nd tier stars (Alan houtson, Joe Johnson) you are doomed to being good but not good enough.

I like Love but if he is making that type of money will be tough for a small market team to have two players at that salary and the wolves will continue to suck if they cant find a legit star worth that kind of money to pair him with. He is no Tim duncan ...

Great post. :toast

The only disadvantage that smaller markets have is just how much attention the individual player gets. Opens up for endorsements, movies (Black Mamba), things of that sort. Smaller Markets really should counter this with more intelligent decisions regarding their finances. The Spurs have done fine, and are able to at least make players think about their decision more due to the fact the Spurs currently have a winning tradition. Unfortunately for the Spurs, sometimes it just isn't enough. The Spurs do have a hell of a scouting crew and front office to counter said disadvantage. Find the ones that are hungry to prove themselves and give them the chance for them to shine. Blair, Neal, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen, Jaren Jackson, Hill, and maybe even Stephen Jackson are a few that I can name off of the top of my head.

Pelicans78
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree that small market teams need to focus on drafting, scouting, shrewd trades, etc.

Killakobe81
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Because they have to? Or do you think people are going to watch the TWolves when they have to let Love go and end up struggling to get a single decent player?

Amazing that a Laker fan with Bynum, Walton, Blake, and Artest (to say nothing of Kobe) signed to huge contracts is talking about small markets overpaying players. Hey, maybe they're just trying to stay competitive with the tools they have?

:wow So your solution to the fact that 4 teams have $80+ million in pay this season is just to say, "Tough, you don't like it, close down your franchise!"? Do you think this is a reliable business model?

The Spurs are THE exception. And not only did they get Duncan, but they've arguably drafted better than any other team in the league over the past 10 years. If that's what it takes for a small market to stay competitive, there's a problem there. Small market teams shouldn't be punished more than large markets simply because if the big teams make a mistake they just write another check to a big name player and go about their way.

Right. So all a small market needs to compete is to fall to the bottom of the standings, and win the lottery in a year where there is a top 10 player of all-time who wants to play for them and isn't going to jump ship for a better (richer) team in 5 years?

So many fails in this reponse ...
The Lakers can make mistakes like overpaying luke Walton: big market, great weather and a tradition of winning. Minny overpays on luke Walton and they could be on a list for potential contraction ...HUGE difference.

Again, im not saying paying $80 million on salary is prudent ... what I am saying is that in any free market why should the employee not try to get the most compensation possible? It is up to the market to dicate what a fair salary is for a skillset. I was making over $10 k a year more than I am now because of the recession ... sure my resume and degree may make me feel I deserve more ... but if no one is willing to pay that what good does that do me? There is no artificial locks on paying me what I am worth right now companies arent paying people with my skill set and more the wages I earned two years ago. Are there still some companies that pay employees in my field what I used to make? But those comapnies can afford to. that was my point.
Not saying you have to get out ...but know your budget ...SA is not the only example Utah has done the same successfully for years.

And yes TIm duncan is a HOF'er so is Stockton and malone and their key was finding a great coach, installing a strong system, and drafting and scouting well. Besides maybe AK and RJ though dont overpay role players at franchise prices because theit market doesnt allow that. The lakers, Yankees Cowboys can afford those type of mistakes ...Spurs, Pacers, Utah can not. That is why Dwill had to go, couldnt afford to lose him for nothing payroll wa s bloated with AL jeff, Milsap and AK's deal ...you make those mistakes you won't win ...

Killakobe81
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
One last point. Packers, Spurs, Twins, Saints are all small market teams that have either won titles recently or have been solid contending franchises, that have outperformed the big market squads: Jets, Knicks, Mets, Dodgers and Cowboys the past few years ...to me it's an excuse (we can't compete) when they don't draft, scout, hire (coaches/GM) or manage their operating expenses well.

Pelicans78
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM
One last point. Packers, Spurs, Twins, Saints are all small market teams that have either won titles recently or have been solid contending franchises, that have outperformed the big market squads: Jets, Knicks, Mets, Dodgers and Cowboys the past few years ...to me it's an excuse (we can't compete) when they don't draft, scout, hire (coaches/GM) or manage their operating expenses well.

The Twins have done an excellent job.

The NFL makes it easier for small market teams. Hard cap, non-guaranteed contracts, etc.

Obstructed_View
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
It's so easy to police yourself when players will give up money to come play for your team or when teams looking to dump salary will give you their superstars. But make sure to call for the teams to be eliminated when they resort to the one tactic that keeps the top players from the five big markets.

Killakobe81
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
It's so easy to police yourself when players will give up money to come play for your team or when teams looking to dump salary will give you their superstars. But make sure to call for the teams to be eliminated when they resort to the one tactic that keeps the top players from the five big markets.

I am not saying teams should be eliminated. I dont think the league needed to expand but I am sure they are wealthy owners that can take over teams and or move them in to better markets that can sustain those clubs.

Teams that are small or mid markets should be emulating the spurs not the Lakers. why would they want to emulate the lakers unless you are the Knicks? Someone mentioned luck all successful franchises need some luck. What if the Blazers drafted the better player over size? OKC would now have Sam bowie 2.0 instead of George Gervin 2000 ... both are small markets and the Blazers have the owner with deeper pockets but OKC hired Presti who drafted and scouted well. Some would argue that Blazers have a deeper team but OKC sticks to it's long-term plan and it's budget ... Is Oklahoma some spectaular market? Were they NOT able to get KD to sign an extension? Id be much happier as a Thunder fan then a Blazers fan because the Blazers have a lot of cap space in Roy, Matthews and L.A. and none of the 3 are all-stars. Aldridge should of been an all-star but not sure he is a top level franchise player. But that is the way he is getting paid.

Again whining about market size is an easy cop out when you mismanage your team.

As for the Lakers go to LG. Walton and Artest (and Sasha, Deven George and Radmonovich before them) are all bashed for horrendous salary based on crappy production. But the Lakers can do this we have the highest payroll or close to it ... and are still profitable.

Knicks of last decade and Clippers forever are examples of big market not = success ...

ohmwrecker
03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
title should be "most laker fan posters are just not smart guys"

I wonder if the irony is lost on this one.

Obstructed_View
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM

You've convinced me that revenue sharing is a great idea. I'm glad you suggested it.

Cry Havoc
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I am not saying teams should be eliminated. I dont think the league needed to expand but I am sure they are wealthy owners that can take over teams and or move them in to better markets that can sustain those clubs.

Teams that are small or mid markets should be emulating the spurs not the Lakers. why would they want to emulate the lakers unless you are the Knicks? Someone mentioned luck all successful franchises need some luck. What if the Blazers drafted the better player over size? OKC would now have Sam bowie 2.0 instead of George Gervin 2000 ... both are small markets and the Blazers have the owner with deeper pockets but OKC hired Presti who drafted and scouted well. Some would argue that Blazers have a deeper team but OKC sticks to it's long-term plan and it's budget ... Is Oklahoma some spectaular market? Were they NOT able to get KD to sign an extension? Id be much happier as a Thunder fan then a Blazers fan because the Blazers have a lot of cap space in Roy, Matthews and L.A. and none of the 3 are all-stars. Aldridge should of been an all-star but not sure he is a top level franchise player. But that is the way he is getting paid.

Again whining about market size is an easy cop out when you mismanage your team.

As for the Lakers go to LG. Walton and Artest (and Sasha, Deven George and Radmonovich before them) are all bashed for horrendous salary based on crappy production. But the Lakers can do this we have the highest payroll or close to it ... and are still profitable.

Knicks of last decade and Clippers forever are examples of big market not = success ...

And it's easy to ignore team mismanagement and bad signings when you can simply pour another $20mil into the franchise, sign another big name player, and override the mistakes you made.

The fact that SOME big markets have failed is not a strike against small markets. It simply means that big markets don't guarantee success. However, for almost every franchise across the major sports (football being the notable exception with the salary cap in place), a small market is a virtual guarantee of mediocrity. There is simply no margin for error.

Packers, Spurs, Twins, Saints

It's humorous that this list, despite showing teams that did win championships, pale to the big franchises that are typically not nearly as well-run as the above, with the potential exception being the Patriots. On the above list, ONLY the Spurs have multiple titles in the past decade, and that's to the presence of one Timothy Duncan, who was very close to going to Boston had the draft gone that way, and also almost bolted in free agency for Orlando (a *gasp* big market team).

The fact that the Spurs have four rings now isn't proof that a small market can win. It says just how much a small market has to do to even have a chance at winning, and even then they are one injury away from again plunging into the middle of the standings because the financial backing just isn't there.

The Packers are world champs this year. Guess what? That's a sign that the NFL system WORKS. The NBA's, however, is an archaic mess that fosters less competition for the NBA title from smaller markets than ever.

:lmao at listing small-market NFL franchises that have won Superbowls as evidence that small-market NBA teams should be capable of doing the same thing. If the Spurs were performing as expected this year, the 4 largest markets -- LA, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, would own 4 of the best 5 records in the league, the other belonging to the Heat and their South Beach lifestyle as a foundation for forming a superteam.

Killakobe81
03-03-2011, 05:35 PM
And it's easy to ignore team mismanagement and bad signings when you can simply pour another $20mil into the franchise, sign another big name player, and override the mistakes you made.

The fact that SOME big markets have failed is not a strike against small markets. It simply means that big markets don't guarantee success. However, for almost every franchise across the major sports (football being the notable exception with the salary cap in place), a small market is a virtual guarantee of mediocrity. There is simply no margin for error.

Packers, Spurs, Twins, Saints

It's humorous that this list, despite showing teams that did win championships, pale to the big franchises that are typically not nearly as well-run as the above, with the potential exception being the Patriots. On the above list, ONLY the Spurs have multiple titles in the past decade, and that's to the presence of one Timothy Duncan, who was very close to going to Boston had the draft gone that way, and also almost bolted in free agency for Orlando (a *gasp* big market team).

The fact that the Spurs have four rings now isn't proof that a small market can win. It says just how much a small market has to do to even have a chance at winning, and even then they are one injury away from again plunging into the middle of the standings because the financial backing just isn't there.

The Packers are world champs this year. Guess what? That's a sign that the NFL system WORKS. The NBA's, however, is an archaic mess that fosters less competition for the NBA title from smaller markets than ever.

:lmao at listing small-market NFL franchises that have won Superbowls as evidence that small-market NBA teams should be capable of doing the same thing.

1. I did not use the Pack as an NBA example genius, anybody with a half a brain can see that. I used the Spurs.

2. Injuries. Even a high market team is one key injury away from being out of title contention.

3. Yes the NFL has been successful with a franchise tag and revenue sharing. I do not dispute that. I love how you make so many assumptions based on my post. But the reason they went that route was because owners (which if you recall was my original premise) can NOT police themselves.

THE NFL bargained for this because Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones and other MISMANAGED their teams by spending recklessly. The NBA tried to do the same by adding a rookie wage scale and putting caps on the amount of extensions. But until owners stop themselves from overspending it doesn't matter what mechanisms you put in place. The NFL has those mechanisms but AL Davis still overpaid Ashomgwa and the Redskins on haynesworth.

Kool may be an asshole but his point that owners are dumb, has been proven over and over ... Just because Jerry (and im a cowboys fan) Jones knows how to build a stadium and is a successful business man doesnt mean he is smart when it comes to building a football team.

Koolaid_Man
03-03-2011, 08:17 PM
1. I did not use the Pack as an NBA example genius, anybody with a half a brain can see that. I used the Spurs.

2. Injuries. Even a high market team is one key injury away from being out of title contention.

3. Yes the NFL has been successful with a franchise tag and revenue sharing. I do not dispute that. I love how you make so many assumptions based on my post. But the reason they went that route was because owners (which if you recall was my original premise) can NOT police themselves.

THE NFL bargained for this because Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones and other MISMANAGED their teams by spending recklessly. The NBA tried to do the same by adding a rookie wage scale and putting caps on the amount of extensions. But until owners stop themselves from overspending it doesn't matter what mechanisms you put in place. The NFL has those mechanisms but AL Davis still overpaid Ashomgwa and the Redskins on haynesworth.

Kool may be an asshole but his point that owners are dumb, has been proven over and over ... Just because Jerry (and im a cowboys fan) Jones knows how to build a stadium and is a successful business man doesnt mean he is smart when it comes to building a football team.

So you really think I'm an asshole Killa? If you do I only ask that you respectfully change your opinion of me...Change it from asshole to muthafucker....if you can do that then I'd sleep well..:toast

Now on the CBA side of the discussion...fuck Cry Havoc he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about with his elementary ass conversation... I think contraction is the real solution...you have teams in cities where they shouldn't be...Why have teams in Denver, NO, Vancouver, Indiana, Milwaukee, etc... ...by and large fuck revenue sharing...it's not fair to the Buss family who carefully crafted their success over many decades because David Stern has some cockamamie ideas about NBA globalization and he doesn't know how to properly build and sell the model....

Dr. Buss shouldn't be forced to essentially "Split The Gate" with small market teams like they do in the NFL where the home team splits the gate 60-40 with the road team. If the new CBA increases revenue sharing I think Large Market teams with Marquee players like Kobe (which is the reason people come to games anyway) should always get a 70-30 share no matter where they're playing...Right now in the NBA the home teams keep everything and it should stay that way...people aren't buying all the shit these small market teams are selling they're mainly buying
tickets to see other teams superstars....

Minnesota should not make as much money as LA they don't sell as much...stop putting teams where people don't want to fucking live or where owners like Mark Cuban spend recklessly....for example Lebron tried to recruit to Cleveland but no one wanted to fucking live there...times have changed...we're in the Hip-Hop generation and these niggas for the most part want to be where the ass and action is at....:lol

Back to business....In the NBA revenue from revenue sharing is 20%-25%. Dr. Buss just signed a lucrative deal $3 Billion dollar TV deal with Time Warner...no fucking way should he be sharing any media revenue % with small or large market teams... the fact that Dr. Buss pays significant luxury tax that is ultimately turned into redistributed revenue that helps smaller markets is good enough...

The Spurs tanked to get Duncan...and gave the blue prints for success to small markets teams...it can be done but it takes a bit of ingenuity :lol

The Lakers have to re-brand themselves with each new decade...we didn't become great overnight....there was bout a 10 yr span through the 90's where we didn't win shit...remember Orlando let Shaq go....Kobe was supposed to go to Charlotte and we traded away our best asset and Big man at the time in Vlade for essentially a Kobe Project...we gambled and it paid off...we traded away Shaq when we thought it wasn't in our financial best interests and people called us crazy as fuck for doing so...but Dr. Buss has been fairly consistent in his approach to maintaining a winning tradition...so don't give me this shit about smaller teams can't compete...the Lakers are just more shrewd when it comes to business...

AtL gave Joe Johnson all that cash (knowing he is a weed head)...just think about it...had they let him walk with the young and exciting players in ATL don't you think they could have gotten more value down the road...you never know how things will play out...that's why I like Dr. Buss...he plays his cards right...even though I ranted about getting Melo...Buss didn't flinch he knows Dwight will be there at the same time he's ready to unload Bynum..this is how you build a winner....look people will still support a shitty team....it's been proven...it's entertainment when you have nothing else to do...but don't expect to make a shit load of cash just because you spend a shit load of money on an NBA team....location location location....:toast

Check this these (2008) valuations let's you see how teams are generally managing:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_NBA-Team-Valuations_Income.html

Pelicans78
03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree with Kool and KilaKobe on this issue.

The Hornets have only themselves to blame for giving bad contracts to Posey, Peja, Mo-Pete, and now Ariza while also whiffing on the draft with Julian Wright, Hilton Armstrong, and Cedric Simmons. Plus they also traded a 1st round pick just to give themselves enough cap room to sign Posey for 4 years. Now they traded Collison and Thornton just to appease Paul and hopes that he stays when they should have started over in the offseason.

spursballer21
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
really one good "break-out" year of sorts...1 good year...and they open the bank vault for him...

and yet they complain...the league should contract..meaning cut loose the small market teams...(sorry SA) :lol but seriously how can you complain about player salaries, revenue sharing etc, when you're doing shit like this.....it makes no sense...Dude will probably fall off next year he hasn't proven himself to me...1 really great year doesn't cut the mustard or the "smell test" as they say...:lol...especially being a white guy in a black guy dominated league...based on that alone I'd be real reserved to throw that kind of money at him right away...he's subject to crack soon...:lol

And you're smart? Learn how to write paragraphs. You write worse than a 10 year old.

Koolaid_Man
03-04-2011, 09:28 AM
And you're smart? Learn how to write paragraphs. You write worse than a 10 year old.

it's nothing but a pause...for emphasis...to allow the slower thinkers amongst us to gather their thoughts....you know what I mean...:lol

Cry Havoc
03-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Ah, so the one exception proves the rule. Interesting.

Yeah, Dallas really sucked after Caron Bulter went down. Oh wait, they went out and just signed a 6'9" SF, bringing their team salary this season to $90 mil +.

That's exactly my point, thank you. Teams will always overpay for players. The only difference right now is that if a small market overpays for a player, it basically dooms their franchise for the length of said contract. Even if they only make a couple of comparatively small moves, it really hamstrings them to bring in any big free agents. Meanwhile, teams like Dallas, Orlando, and LA make horrible contracts, and then just overpay the next player to come along and pick up the slack for them. In the NFL, it doesn't matter how big of a team you are, you can still ruin a franchise for a few years with bad moves.

So the core of your argument is that an owner that's sufficiently idiotic can ruin a franchise? Shocking insight. We know this, and that has absolutely zero to do with the present contract situation in the NBA or the new CBA (we hope). The point is that small market teams in the NBA just cannot compete, unless they get incredibly lucky with a once in a lifetime player (you're seeing it in OKC now with Durant) AND get lucky with the draft. And even Durant is nowhere near enough to even guarantee the Thunder a Conference Finals berth in the next 5-6 years.