PDA

View Full Version : Pierce vs Melo

Venti Quattro
03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Just popped randomly in my mind about 10 minutes ago.

Championship aside, I think Melo is the better offensive player. But Pierce is more well-rounded with his skills.

hater
03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Pierce hands down

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Can't think of one thing Pierce does better than Melo.... his 3p stroke might be a little better but Carmelo's is pretty damn good.

I'm sort of new so I'm not entirely up to speed with the culture of fans here; Did Carmelo Anthony rape a Spurs fan's mother or sister or something? I've noticed a weird distaste of the guy to the point that people are willing to blindly set the game aside in order to hate the guy. Maybe a seasoned vet of the boards would care to enlighten me.

mindcrime
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Can't think of one thing Pierce does better than Melo.... his 3p stroke might be a little better but Carmelo's is pretty damn good.

I'm sort of new so I'm not entirely up to speed with the culture of fans here; Did Carmelo Anthony rape a Spurs fan's mother or sister or something? I've noticed a weird distaste of the guy to the point that people are willing to blindly set the game aside in order to hate the guy. Maybe a seasoned vet of the boards would care to enlighten me.

The OP said better all around game. The game is played on both ends. Not for Melo though since he's somehow allergic to playing any defense.

rayjayjohnson
03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Pierce has ringed. has to count for something.

JamStone
03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Comparable players. Pierce does have a better overall basketball game. Let's not also forget that before KG and Ray Allen, the Celtics went to the lottery two seasons in a row and had a losing record 3 of the 4 of those previous seasons to 2007-08 with Pierce as the franchise player. He was surrounded with little talent in those years, but don't give Pierce more credit than he deserves just because he's been on a team that won a title.

If Pierce was still in his prime, I'd give him a clear edge. Factoring age, I'd take Carmelo at this point, expecting Melo to expand and improve on his overall game.

Cane
03-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Pierce can play point-forward whereas Melo is more of a pure scorer. But I'd take Melo especially now; Pierce's legs gets fatigued too quickly especially if he has to defend young stars specifically LeBron.

Technique
03-03-2011, 07:38 PM
How is this even close? Lots of angry Nuggets fans :lol

ALVAREZ6
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Melo, BY FAR

baseline bum
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Pierce has always shot way too many contested threes for my liking. Watching him and Antoine Walker jacking up threes together every single possession was brutal on the eyes. I'd take Melo.

Beau
03-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Melo's clearly a better, more dominant individual player at this point. But it's a team game and Melo's a bitch.

Give me Pierce if we're talking playing on a contender. Melo isn't someone who's going to take a backseat to anyone and he's not gonna lead a team to a championship as its centerpiece...

TE
03-04-2011, 02:45 AM
These sap ass niggas hate Melo because Melo and Kobe are cool. PP game is sloppy and he basically gets away with holding on Defense but these assholess were so used to seeing Kung-fu Bowen do it so often that they actually consider it good defense.

You did the right thing by calling for the opinion of a seasoned knowledgeable veteran on this board. Although according to Kori... I'm much more than that.
:lmao

baseline bum
03-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Melo's clearly a better, more dominant individual player at this point. But it's a team game and Melo's a bitch.

Give me Pierce if we're talking playing on a contender. Melo isn't someone who's going to take a backseat to anyone and he's not gonna lead a team to a championship as its centerpiece...

I'd like Melo's chances if he had 2008 Garnett, Allen, Rondo, and Posey as his teammates. He wouldn't need to take a backseat to anyone just like Pierce never had to.

Beau
03-04-2011, 03:14 AM
I'd like Melo's chances if he had 2008 Garnett, Allen, Rondo, and Posey as his teammates. He wouldn't need to take a backseat to anyone just like Pierce never had to.

I don't. Pierce, Garnett and Allen had all failed. They had been humbled. Maybe Melo will get there someday, but I ain't holding my breath. He's a bitch. A talented one, a great scorer, but a bitch.

He could have been the best of Glenn Robinson and Charles Barley but instead he's a bitch. He doesn't want to win as much as he wants to shine and have individual success. I could excuse the pathetic team D if I saw the want-to and drive of a Barkley, but I don't. Instead, I see a bitch. A very talented bitch - like my sister...

dunkman
03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Pierce was better offensively and specially defensively. But 'Melo has yet to reach his prime.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
The OP said better all around game. The game is played on both ends. Not for Melo though since he's somehow allergic to playing any defense.

Lol @ telling me about defense.

Paul Pierce's defense is hardly anything to talk about. He happens to play on a great defensive team but where was all this "Paul Pierce defender extraordinaire" talk pre 2007? When the C's were in the dumps back in 06-07 who here had PP as a top defender?? Didn't think so.

Carmelo's defensive abilities are solid, he just doesn't spend a lot of time putting forth the effort on his run and gun teams. But when locked in he's defended the likes of Kobe and Bron quite well which is more than I can say about most players.

Supergirl
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Pierce is a very underrated defender and very difficult to guard offensively. Melo is just difficult to guard, but couldn't defend his way out of a paper bag.

Killakobe81
03-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Where did the OP say better all around game? I thought it just said Pierce vs. Melo? So who?
As for who is better now there is no question even if PP is better defensively ...that melo is better no way PP would bring back 4 players and a draft choice in a smiliar deal. Melo abilty to score (though Pierce is a great scorer too) is on the elite level of special players that dont come around to often. Dude is compared to Bernard King who was one of the all time great scorers until his knees gave out ...

Pierce of course does get props for being the best player on a title team so it's closer than some say but I STILL say Melo ...