PDA

View Full Version : Comptroller: Cuts alone won't help

George Gervin's Afro
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Comptroller: Cuts alone won't help

[X]AUSTIN - The Texas comptroller told the House Appropriations Committee on Thursday that she can't imagine solving the current budget crisis through cuts alone.

Susan Combs spoke at a hearing designed to be a reality check for conservatives who think the budget can be balanced by slashing state services. The current two-year budget cycle is $4.3 billion short and, under the Texas Constitution, that deficit must be made up by Aug. 31.

The state is also facing another projected $27 billion shortfall in the next two-year budget, but that was not the subject of Thursday's hearing.

Committee Chairman Jim Pitts, a Waxahachie Republican, asked Combs to testify after he introduced a bill to spend $4.3 billion from the state's Rainy Day Fund to cover the deficit. In opening Thursday's hearing, he tried to communicate the gravity of the problem, which left lawmakers silent and stone-faced.

"The budget adopted by the Legislature last session, and signed by the governor, exceeded the comptroller's measure of available revenue," Pitts said. "This committee, and this Legislature, has very limited options: the use of the Rainy Day Fund, further reductions ... or deferring payments into the next biennium."

While Combs never called on the committee to dip into the Rainy Day Fund, she presented a detailed history of how it had been used in the past and how spending it would not hurt the state's credit rating. She also examined the other options.

"I don't know how you can get to $4.3 billion in cuts," Combs said. She warned that even if the recession ends, that doesn't mean revenues will return to levels seen in 2005, when the Texas economy was booming.

When some lawmakers tried to compare the situation to 2003, the last time they tapped the Rainy Day Fund, the Democratic vice chair chastened them.

"I wish this was 2003. But if anyone tries to compare 2003 to what we are going through now, and saying they are similar, you are not facing reality," said state Rep. Sylvester, D-Houston. "This situation is far worse."

Combs acknowledged that the recession that began in 2007 was the worst since the Rainy Day Fund was created. But she warned that lawmakers should think about the next four years, not just the next two, when considering how much of the fund to spend or how to fix a business tax that has never raised as much money as expected.

She also pointed out that if lawmakers did not make funds available to cover the deficit, she is obligated under the state constitution to borrow money from the Rainy Day Fund to pay the state's bills.

Also Thursday: State Rep. Charlie Geren, R-Fort Worth, wants people willing to undergo background checks to get a fast pass into the state Capitol while carrying weapons.

Under current procedures, Texans with concealed handgun licenses can bypass metal detectors to enter the building. Lobbyists, journalists and other frequent visitors have signed up for gun permits in droves, just to get in quicker.

Geren’s bill, filed Thursday, would establish a “pass for expedited access” to people who undergo the same background checks and pay a fee, but without having to get a gun permit.

Well duh..

coyotes_geek
03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I kinda feel sorry for Combs. Perry has really backed her into the corner with his refusal to even consider raising taxes.

George Gervin's Afro
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I kinda feel sorry for Combs. Perry has really backed her into the corner with his refusal to even consider raising taxes.

Well according to Perry the state is in great shape.....

johnsmith
03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Just don't do it on property taxes.

George Gervin's Afro
03-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Just don't do it on property taxes.

what about bumping state sales tax to 8.75?

TeyshaBlue
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM

At least, or maybe a better incremental tax would be levying a .15/gal fuel tax?

Hell...maybe both.

johnsmith
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Honestly, I don't mind that at all. I really just think we pay too much in property taxes as it is and they don't need an increase......especially when real property values are on the decline.

George Gervin's Afro
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Honestly, I don't mind that at all. I really just think we pay too much in property taxes as it is and they don't need an increase......especially when real property values are on the decline.

I agree with you.

Hell just froze over..

johnsmith
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
At least, or maybe a better incremental tax would be levying a .15/gal fuel tax?

Hell...maybe both.

Nah, gas prices are too volatile for people not to go nuts if they increased it.

Sales tax would go up and my guess is that no one would really notice. It's just not a "hot button" issue like gas and property tax.

johnsmith
03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree with you.

Hell just froze over..

:lol

George Gervin's Afro
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Nah, gas prices are too volatile for people not to go nuts if they increased it.

Sales tax would go up and my guess is that no one would really notice. It's just not a "hot button" issue like gas and property tax.

People would be paying 8.75 per 100.00 as opposed to 8.50 ..

CosmicCowboy
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm OK with tapping the rainy day fund short term as long as they have a plan to replenish it. I would support a .5 cent sales tax increase as long as they capped spending too. Tax would end when they get 10 billion back into the rainy day fund.

johnsmith
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
People would be paying 8.75 per 100.00 as opposed to 8.50 ..

I thought it was 8.25 now.

coyotes_geek
03-03-2011, 04:19 PM

I'd be okay with that. Do it for 2 years then revisit at the next legislative session. If revenues are back up by then, go back to the 8.25.

Hell...maybe both.

The gas tax definitely needs to go up. Permamently.

George Gervin's Afro
03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I thought it was 8.25 now.

you are correct

CosmicCowboy
03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
In San Antonio it's currently .08125

boutons_deux
03-03-2011, 04:38 PM
The 2006 property tax cut is what put TX public schoosl in the current budget crunch. Parents are very pissed.

Everybody wants a free lunch. no taxes, but 5 star public services, eternal wars, eternal imperial garrisoning of the planet.

An adult America, not the greedy UCA, would increase federal fuel tax, seriously but stepped over several years to give a window of preparation, to reduce our dependence on (foreign) oil and to make alternative fuels (but not biodiesel nor corn ethanol) more competitive and to prepare the country for the major disruption when a barrel is permanently $150+ and steadily increasing from there.

Preparing for the inevitable crisis is the adult action, right?

Meanwhile, UCA keeps the country on an unsustainable path.

VRWC: cut wealthy/corporate taxes, cripple govt, let people suffer and die, blame it all on Big Govt, then they'll be back for more tax cuts for the wealty/corps, rinse, repeat.

EVAY
03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
The 2006 property tax cut is what put TX public schoosl in the current budget crunch. Parents are very pissed.

Everybody wants a free lunch. no taxes, but 5 star public services, eternal wars, eternal imperial garrisoning of the planet.

An adult America would increase federal fuel tax.

I agree with this much of this.

CubanMustGo
03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
The Texas state sales tax rate is 6.25%. Raising it another quarter percent won't hurt anyone, no more than putting another 10-15 cents on gas would. We just went through a 25-cent increase in one week, fer cryin out loud.