PDA

View Full Version : Report: Union heads make six figures

Marcus Bryant
03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/50585.html

Spurminator
03-03-2011, 05:59 PM
As the standoff between unions and Wisconsin Republicans wages on, an analysis of the nation’s 10 largest labor unions shows some top leaders — who are being derided as “union bosses” — make six-figure salaries funded by members’ dues.

Leaders earned between $173,000 and $618,000 at major unions, the Center for Public Integrity found in examining 2009 tax records, with some groups paying dozens of employees in the six figures. At the three major unions , which together represent more than 5.6 million public workers, presidents’ salaries in 2009 ranged between $400,000 and $500,000.

Is that really so unreasonable?

ChumpDumper
03-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Quelle horreur.

CubanMustGo
03-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Compared to mediocre basketball players making millions yearly, the former CEO of HP getting paid tens of millions to leave the company after allegedly passing on insider information to a woman he was seeing on the side ... doesn't seem like that big of a deal tbh

DarrinS
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Rich people are only evil bastards if they are private sector CEO's, Wall Street types, or work for Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big (insert evil corpotion here).

If they are Big Govt, Big Union, Big Hollywood, etc., it doesn't matter what they make.

Spurminator
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Or Muslim.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
DarrinS hates winners.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/03/01/1226014/230263-charlie-sheen.jpg

EVAY
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
WEll hold on for a second here. The Politico article seems to me to be comparing apples with apple strudel. They are quoting the combined salaries AND benefits of union bosses to salaries alone for teachers.

To be fair, the comparison would need to be combined salaries and benefits to combined salaries and benefits, or only salaries for both.

The point may remain that union officials make lots more dough than the people they represent, but that is not very different than lots of administrative vs. subject-matter-expert jobs. for example, College Deans make tons more than the professors in their departments, but that is just part of the pay-more-for-administrators model that is so strong in most parts of the American economy.

coyotes_geek
03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
What union bosses make is between them and their union members. If the union members don't have a problem with the bosses taking that much of their dues then why should anyone else?

DarrinS
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
What union bosses make is between them and their union members. If the union members don't have a problem with the bosses taking that much of their dues then why should anyone else?

Agreed.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
What union bosses make is between them and their union members. If the union members don't have a problem with the bosses taking that much of their dues then why should anyone else?As if lowering the bosses' salaries to whatever these folk think they should be would satisfy them.

Wild Cobra
03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I can agree with that. At the same time, union benefits of public employees should be between the tax payer and the union member. As a tax payer, I am appalled that they get better benefits than most tax payers. They are public servants. We are not their slaves.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
I can agree with that. At the same time, union benefits of public employees should be between the tax payer and the union member. As a tax payer, I am appalled that they get better benefits than most tax payers. They are public servants. We are not their slaves.Your representatives were shitty bargainers.

PublicOption
03-03-2011, 10:13 PM
............and corporate CEO's make 7 figures. whats your point.

PublicOption
03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I can agree with that. At the same time, union benefits of public employees should be between the tax payer and the union member. As a tax payer, I am appalled that they get better benefits than most tax payers. They are public servants. We are not their slaves.

...hey loser if your such a libertarian, quit voting republican, at least democrats give to the poor. republipukes only give to the rich and play favorites with corporations.

PublicOption
03-03-2011, 10:15 PM
............and corporate CEO's make 7 figures. whats your point.

.....or even 8 figures.

in2deep
03-04-2011, 10:00 AM
6 figures is not that much. For the head of an organization. I make 6 figures and I'm just a plain developer :D

fraga
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Pfffffffft...who doesn't make 6 figures these days...

Wild Cobra
03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
...hey loser if your such a libertarian, quit voting republican, at least democrats give to the poor. republipukes only give to the rich and play favorites with corporations.
And democrats want to give my money away to those who pick their noses for a living rather than work.

Yes, I generally vote republican, but because they are the lesser of two evils in my view. I dislike them also. I often spoil my vote with a 3rd party I know wont win.

You know, I really get sick of pathetic asses like yourself who take a prejudiced view of me.

Marcus Bryant
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah, who doesn't make mid-six figures these days off mandatory dues from middle class workers?

greyforest
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Rich people are only evil bastards if they are private sector CEO's, Wall Street types, or work for Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big (insert evil corpotion here).

If they are Big Govt, Big Union, Big Hollywood, etc., it doesn't matter what they make.

Judge people by what they do for society, and how much they take from it.

Spurminator
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, who doesn't make mid-six figures these days off mandatory dues from middle class workers?

Well, it's mandatory in the sense that you have to pay the dues if you choose that profession. Do union members have a problem with their union heads' salaries? Do they feel they recoup those fees in the form of wages and benefits their heads are able to negotiate?

Winehole23
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Do they get their money's worth? No brainer.

hater
03-04-2011, 01:12 PM
:sleep

wake me up when they make billions off of ripping off regular citizens only to get bailed out

Winehole23
03-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Do unions get their money's worth?If they didn't, this thread wouldn't exist.

ChumpDumper
03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
And democrats want to give my money away to those who pick their noses for a living rather than work.What about those who watch DVDs of tv shows at work and talk about it on the internets at work?

coyotes_geek
03-04-2011, 02:13 PM
:sleep

wake me up when they make billions off of ripping off regular citizens only to get bailed out

It's coming.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173242