PDA

View Full Version : Chuys

benefactor
03-03-2011, 09:03 PM
...getting one here in Tyler. Opinions about the food/drinks?

oh crap
03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
think baby a's with shittier food and no signature drinks.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-03-2011, 09:11 PM
my fav tex mex.......evar
for real i love that place. atmosphere is A++ they are very into elvis
food a solid B+ and drinks i'd give an A
steak burrito is good, the #2 elvis is good if you wanna try 3 different enchiladas
fish tacos are good, also the chuy's special is what i recommend to people that dont like spicy.
you should be excited

benefactor
03-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Elvis in a tex mex restaurant? I'm already a little turned off.

mrsmaalox
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
It's not too bad; I love Mexican food but not too crazy about Tex-Mex. I like their ideas, they have a decent vegetarian selection and do a Hatch green chile "festival" with a limited time menu. But......maybe I had too high expectations because both ideas turned out to be just average. I don't mind going there for lunch occasionally.

benefactor
03-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I have a heart for both tex mex and authentic. Tyler has a huge Hispanic community so there are a lot of good hole in the wall authentic places.

Tyler is a "we're in love with the name" type of restaurant community so it will be successful here. Hell... Jalapeņo Tree is successful here.

DPG21920
03-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Not very good. Nothing special.

lil'mo
03-03-2011, 09:29 PM
kinda chewey

Fpoonsie
03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
my fav tex mex.......evar
for real i love that place. atmosphere is A++ they are very into elvis
food a solid B+ and drinks i'd give an A
steak burrito is good, the #2 elvis is good if you wanna try 3 different enchiladas
fish tacos are good, also the chuy's special is what i recommend to people that dont like spicy.
you should be excited

Wow. That sounds fucking terrible.

admiralsnackbar
03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I like their shrimp-stuffed, chicken-fried rellenos as a riff on the original, but it really does taste like it started in Austin, which is to say a much higher proportion of Tex to Mex -- even as concerns the stereotypes about Latino culture they perpetuate for branding purposes. Beats Chi-Chi's and poncho-clad, sombrero-wearing dudes sleeping against cacti, though. Progress :lol

Blake
03-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Its alright. I like the taquitos lunch special.

If it were to ever close down though, I wouldn't miss it.

ohmwrecker
03-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Chuy's is above average Tex-Mex. A little kitschy, but a more interesting menu than most. It's a good place for a big group. The Elvis thing is being overblown. It's not even noticeable.

4>0rings
03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I thought it was TC's on a more dine in scale type of crap. I'm going to have to try this place out.

marini martini
03-04-2011, 12:38 AM
The prick waiter I had, wasn't familiar with their dipping sauces. So he brought me a bowl of ketchup. Whatadumbfuck!:(

4>0rings
03-04-2011, 12:47 AM
The prick waiter I had, wasn't familiar with their dipping sauces. So he brought me a bowl of ketchup. Whatadumbfuck!:(
I know a few people that work at the 35n one. You remember his name?

CosmicCowboy
03-04-2011, 12:56 AM
They have great chips and a good selection of dipping sauces. The creamy Poblano (you have to ask for it) totally rocks. The only better chips in town are at Pappasitos and it's a close second. The food itself is mediocre. Margaritas are pretty OK.

Fpoonsie
03-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Margaritas are pretty OK.

This is like saying a shirt is "extra medium."

mrsmaalox
03-04-2011, 01:11 AM

:lol You are dippy enough dear.

They have great chips and a good selection of dipping sauces. The creamy Poblano (you have to ask for it) totally rocks The only better chips in town are at Pappasitos and it's a close second. The food itself is mediocre. Margaritas are pretty OK.

Well we did ask! The menu clearly said "dipping sauces" and all he brought was salsa. I was fine with that, but you know Marini, always needing something more....so the guy brought her a bowl of ketchup. I found it pretty hilarious, Marini not so much :lmao

CosmicCowboy
03-04-2011, 01:12 AM
This is like saying a shirt is "extra medium."

The best margaritas in San Antonio are at the original ChaCha's on Bandera.

Original top shelf...(they have like 45 other flavors)

Any others that at least attempt to try for good are pretty OK.

CosmicCowboy
03-04-2011, 01:14 AM

Well we did ask! The menu clearly said "dipping sauces" and all he brought was salsa. I was fine with that, but you know Marini, always needing something more....so the guy brought her a bowl of ketchup. I found it pretty hilarious, Marini not so much :lmao

LOL

And how many Vodka/rocks were involved?

marini martini
03-04-2011, 01:37 AM
I know a few people that work at the 35n one. You remember his name?

It was the one on 281, his name was Pricktard.

LOL

And how many Vodka/rocks were involved?

Apparently, not enough!

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-04-2011, 01:39 AM
They have great chips and a good selection of dipping sauces. The creamy Poblano (you have to ask for it) totally rocks. The only better chips in town are at Pappasitos and it's a close second. The food itself is mediocre. Margaritas are pretty OK.

:lmao everybody gets it wrong. creamy jalepeno. and yeah, people cant seem to get enough of it. sorry i worked there for awhile so i am biased.
you wanna see authentic check out their t-shirt collection. some good/funny stuff

4>0rings
03-04-2011, 02:00 AM
The best margaritas in San Antonio are at the original ChaCha's on Bandera.

Original top shelf...(they have like 45 other flavors)

Any others that at least attempt to try for good are pretty OK.Those margs are stiffer than whiskey straight up. :toast

The Reckoning
03-04-2011, 02:00 AM
apparently all the dallas people rave about the queso. thats all they eat in dallas. queso. they dont even know what an enchilada is.

theyre even willing to pay 8 bucks for a bowl of it.

theyre like "dunno what i ate, and it tasted pretty bad...but the queso was fucking awesome!!!! best Mexican food place evaaaaaaa!"

AmericanPsycho
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Wasn't impressed with the one off of 35 and Judson.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
apparently all the dallas people rave about the queso. thats all they eat in dallas. queso. they dont even know what an enchilada is.

theyre even willing to pay 8 bucks for a bowl of it.

theyre like "dunno what i ate, and it tasted pretty bad...but the queso was fucking awesome!!!! best Mexican food place evaaaaaaa!"

I don't know what anyone's fascination with queso/nacho cheese is. It's pure liquid diarrhea that rarely taste like cheese and is probably better used as spackle.

Phillip
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
its pretty good

the jalapeno ranch sauce is fucking badass

sribb43
03-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Shit is nasty. Don't go there if you want good Mexican food

JoeChalupa
03-04-2011, 01:37 PM
We went to one in Houston and it was pretty good. I think it was Houston.

ohmwrecker
03-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Whoever said it is like Baby A's is off their nut. I would rather eat Taco C than Baby A's.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Well I'll definitely be going back cuz I'm curious to try that creamy jalapeno sauce. I'm wondering if it's the same thing they serve with the fried green tomatoes at the Dodging Duck in Boerne.....a little ranch-y, jalapeno-y, cilantro-y, limey deliciousness :drool:

DisAsTerBot
03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
sucks ass......they have drinks, that's about the only reason i can see why people go back

CosmicCowboy
03-04-2011, 02:24 PM
The Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom is actually pretty tasty.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
03-04-2011, 02:27 PM
its pretty good

the jalapeno ranch sauce is fucking badass

Shit is nasty. Don't go there if you want good Mexican food

:lmao shoulda seen det one comin tbh

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2011, 02:53 PM
sucks ass......they have drinks, that's about the only reason i can see why people go back

Pretty much what gets me back to any of the chains.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
The Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom is actually pretty tasty.

Sounds like a bi-winning dish

phxspurfan
03-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I like Chuys. But it's probably b/c I liked that date more than the restaurant. It's like commercialized Tex-Mex I guess

CubanMustGo
03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Well I'll definitely be going back cuz I'm curious to try that creamy jalapeno sauce. I'm wondering if it's the same thing they serve with the fried green tomatoes at the Dodging Duck in Boerne.....a little ranch-y, jalapeno-y, cilantro-y, limey deliciousness :drool:

Meh, it's basically ranch dressing.

I like Chuy's but it's Aus-Tex-Mex. The margs are OK, the fresh tortillas are good, the fresh salsa is marginal, the food is OK but not spectacular. There's always a huge line at the ones in Austin (except maybe the one on N. Lamar) which is more an indictment of people's taste here than an indication the food's all that.

Marcus Bryant
03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Nothing special, but not bad.

benefactor
06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Finally went yesterday. My daughter wanted to have her birthday dinner there so it was a good excuse to go. Most of it was average...except the sauce they put on my enchiladas. I think it was called boom boom sauce. It was some of the best sauce I have ever tasted. Other than that it felt like a chain. They were making tortillas there...but they tasted like store bought. The salsa wasn't that great either. It's almost like they put all their effort into the sauces and just went with whatever they could find on the food.

CuckingFunt
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I went to a restaurant in some little nowhere town in Texas (Van Horn, maybe?) called Chuy's. Definitely not part of a trendy chain, I'm thinking.

bus driver
06-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Nothing special, but not bad.

same thing i was thinking........i dont go to the one's here but when i am in dallas we go at least once since it is down the street from the apartment. :wakeup

cantthinkofanything
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Finally went yesterday. My daughter wanted to have her birthday dinner there so it was a good excuse to go. Most of it was average...except the sauce they put on my enchiladas. I think it was called boom boom sauce. It was some of the best sauce I have ever tasted. Other than that it felt like a chain. They were making tortillas there...but they tasted like store bought. The salsa wasn't that great either. It's almost like they put all their effort into the sauces and just went with whatever they could find on the food.

But hey, I'm guessing it was better than Casa Ole'.

Sisk
06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Overrated imho.

Bill_Brasky
06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
It's good food for the price.

Big as your face burrito/steak burrito with deluxe tomatillo or boom-boom sauce is a win.

Rellenos are always good

Pork taco's on Saturday are good

Their salsa/creamy jap sauce is good.

In the winter the tortilla soup is good.

2 people can eat there for under 20 bucks, I'd say worth it.

rr2418
06-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I think it's catered more to the "gringos" imho! I went there when my niece graduated from high school several years ago. The tortillas tasted like Taco Bell tortillas, cold and bland. The enchiladas were lousy and tasted like from a tv dinner. The only item I found ok was the chips and salsa.

benefactor
06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
But hey, I'm guessing it was better than Casa Ole'.
Much better. Hell, I can cook Mexican food better than Casa Ole' can.

Nbadan
06-16-2011, 01:52 AM
the best part of Chuy's is their happy hour, which I think runs till 7...free nacho bar and cheap, cheap drinks....

Spurtacular
05-14-2019, 07:36 PM
They look like a good stock buy, tbh.

DJR210
05-15-2019, 01:54 AM
the best part of Chuy's is their happy hour, which I think runs till 7...free nacho bar and cheap, cheap drinks....

:lol

Worst margarita I've probably ever had

Millennial_Messiah
05-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Low end white-trash tex mex, tbh.

Salsa is for real Latinos
Queso is for white appopriators.

SpursforSix
05-15-2019, 09:31 AM

Salsa is for real Latinos
Queso is for white appopriators.

Salsa and queso are both yummy. If I had to only have one, it'd be salsa. But give me both.

Chucho
05-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Says Mr. Folgers Instant.

benefactor
05-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Haven't been there in forever. If I'm doing run of the mill texmex I'll typically go to On The Border...mostly because the happy hour nachos are good and I know the bartender.

Millennial_Messiah
05-15-2019, 01:15 PM
Salsa and queso are both yummy. If I had to only have one, it'd be salsa. But give me both.

Salsa is lowfat, good for your immune system, breaks up mucus, and fights cancer.
Queso is processed, fattening, mucus-inducing, constipation-causing, and contains carcinogens.

I know which one I'm taking all day.

Xevious
05-15-2019, 02:37 PM
I know I'm in the minority because everybody here is a fucking connoisseur, but I like Chuys. It's cheap, they have free nachos/queso during happy hour, the kids enjoy it, and to me it's not your typical texmex - with the different sauces they have, green chilies, fried eggs, etc.

I like their creamy jalapeno and chips, boom boom chicken enchiladas, they have daily specials that sometimes include stuffed avacados and some other shit I enjoy that I can't think of.