PDA

View Full Version : Contract question

rayjayjohnson
03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Thread about Arenas got me thinking, and I don't know much about contracts in the NBA, wondering if someone might answer.

Say a player like Gilbert drops off as bad as he has. What recourse does a team have for getting themselves out of that contract? how would they go about it, has it happened before?

DPG21920
03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
They have no recourse if there is no career ending injury. The best they could hope for is a buyout, but even then, they usually pay the vast majority of it. If there is a career ending injury, insurance pays that and they usually get an exemption for the salary.

If not, and the player sucks, they have absolutely no recourse for level of play.

rayjayjohnson
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
so why on earth did the magic take on arenas? was his contract actually better than rashard lewis'?

players can walk away from a contract, i kinda think that if a player doesnt meet certain expectations (within reason of course) a team should be able to walk too.

imagine what the bucks might have done if they could cut michael redd loose.

cobbler
03-03-2011, 09:35 PM
They could search his locker and cut him loose after they confiscate his weapons.

ElNono
03-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Another recourse is to try to convince Kahn to trade for him, or pray Isiah or McHale get back their GM jobs.

ElNono
03-03-2011, 09:38 PM
so why on earth did the magic take on arenas? was his contract actually better than rashard lewis'?

Supposedly Otis Smith, the Magic's GM, knew Gilbert and thought he still had something left in the tank...

sefant77
Redds salary was covered from the insurance but it counts against the cap, same with buyouts.

Teams can write certain performance clauses in the contract. Cuban does it all the time. Dampiers last year was unguaranteed because he didnt meet the performance clauses during his first 5 years. Terry next year is just half guaranteed but he gonna exceed the requirements.

Contracts should have (with the new CBA) every 2nd year a team option so teams are able to walk away from contract when the players got fat/sucking etc

Pelicans78
What they should have done was assassinated him. They would have definitely been off the hook.

DPG21920
03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Luckily, a team like the Hornets can get out of Paul's atrocious contract soon. They are really fortunate.

Pelicans78
03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Luckily, a team like the Hornets can get out of Paul's atrocious contract soon. They are really fortunate.

God-willing. They should have traded him in the offseason with Okafor's contract instead of adding Ariza's.

JamStone
03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Other than trading the guy, a buyout for less than the entire worth of the contract is the best case scenario. But even then, most buyouts are for most of the contract anyway and still count on the payroll against the cap.

I think this is a serious issue for NBA owners that will be addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Contract length and non-guaranteed contracts, or at least player performance clauses, should all be at issue.

Koolaid_Man
03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't know much

all day and tomorrow....:lol

rayjayjohnson
03-04-2011, 12:07 AM
all day and tomorrow....:lol

lol, you don't matter.

baseline bum
03-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Going Tanya Harding on Gilbert's knees is Orlando's only option.