PDA

View Full Version : Do the Lakers and Spurs have a rivalry?

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Lakers and Spurs have faced each other 11 times in the playoffs in their history with the Lakers taking 8 out of the 11 meetings.

More recently, in the Phil Jackson-Kobe Bryant and Gregg Popovich-Tim Duncan era, the 2 teams have met 5 times with the Lakers taking 4 out of those 5.

Based on both the historical tally and recent history does anyone here think this constitutes a legitimate rivalry?

Holden_Caulfield
03-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Beau
03-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Such a poor troll. Really. But have fun feeding on the plankton. There's plenty of it.

cheguevara
03-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Spurs popped Kobe's cherry tbh

http://fourhorsementattoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kobe-crying.jpg

Budkin
03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Celtics have owned the Lakers... is that still a rivalry?

Celtics: 9 Lakers: 3

cheguevara
03-04-2011, 04:29 PM
injured Celtics team vs. Lakers = rivalry
healhty Celtics team vs. Lakers = not a rivalry

Killakobe81
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
It 's a rivalry but not very heated on the player side ...on the fan said especially on the spur side it is ...

Spurs shut down the Forum and ended the 3 peat so YES, it is a rivalry.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Celtics have owned the Lakers... is that still a rivalry?

Celtics: 9 Lakers: 3

Feel free to make that thread and pose that question.

But please attempt to stick to the thread topic here. Thanks.

Killakobe81
It 's a rivalry but not very heated on the player side ...on the fan said especially on the spur side it is ...

Spurs shut down the Forum and ended the 3 peat so YES, it is a rivalry.

However we have only one true "heated" and traditional rival and they wear Green and worship little Irish imaginary creatures and have some bitch as leaf on their warmups ... LOL

cheguevara
I agree with killakobe. In all seriousness Lakers have owned the spurs. But that 2003 beat down in LA is a beatdown you don't forget. That one hurt. I never seen so many laker tears before or after.

That beatdown alone is reason why lakerfans post in this forum so much.

Beau
03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
LOL since Phil Jackson, by the way.

It's 2-1 for the Lakers since Manu came aboard...

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Such a poor troll. Really. But have fun feeding on the plankton. There's plenty of it.

Troll?

Perhaps this thread topic is just a little bit over your head. This is not about nominating random anonymous men who post on a basketball message board for "poster of the month" type discussion.

This is about the game. Please exit stage left message board groupie.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
LOL since Phil Jackson, by the way.

It's 2-1 for the Lakers since Manu came aboard...

And 1-0 since Pau came on board.

Anything else Captain Obvious? Or is this what you do? Come into threads to provide the simple-stupid perspective on topics?

LkrFan
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Not by this criteria son. I'm afraid this is NOT a rivalry. Kobe-led Laker teams have beaten the Spurs like a drum to the tune of 4 out of 5 playoff series. That's an 80% clip. TD-led Spurs teams have only beaten Kobe-led Laker teams one time (during their run of 12 consecutive 50+ win seasons) because Shaq was 429 lbs that year. :lol

Sons the stats don't lie. Kobe has beaten the Spurs in the playoffs more than the Spurs franchise has ever beaten the Lakers: 4 to 3. Kobe is responsibe for half the Lakers' playoff series wins against the Spurs.

Kobe >>>>>>>>>> TD. :toast

PGDynasty24
Well that spurs vs lakers in 04 was pretty epic, and 03 even though we lost was somewhat entertaining if only horry's shot would've not rattled out that series goes 7. But they were better in 03,we had no answer for Tony Parker

Bill_Brasky
It's a good rivalry in that they always have a good series...the end of the 3peat, the .4 that I'm still butthurt about...they play each other hard.

Beau
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Troll?

Perhaps this thread topic is just a little bit over your head. This is not about nominating random anonymous men who post on a basketball message board for "poster of the month" type discussion.

This is about the game. Please exit stage left message board groupie.

LOL...

It's a rivalry. A professional one, not a blood rivalry or of the border skirmish and in-state variety, but a rivalry nonetheless. Kobe and Co. have said as much.

It'd be a much better one had Kobe been able to do better than he did without Shaq though. Spurs would likely hold a 3-2 advantage since Manu joined the team. ;)

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 04:40 PM
I agree with killakobe. In all seriousness Lakers have owned the spurs. But that 2003 beat down in LA is a beatdown you don't forget. That one hurt. I never seen so many laker tears before or after.

That beatdown alone is reason why lakerfans post in this forum so much.

Losing in 03 after winning 3 straight was hardly remarkable. Disappointing, sure, but this monumental earth shattering heartbreak you speak of is really a Spurstalk myth perpetuated by a bunch of fanboys clinging to that "trump card" as if it was a bigger deal than it really was.

3 straight 'ships was significant enough for me to be satisfied with that core's run.

coyotes_geek
03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Of course it's a rivalry. If it weren't a rivalry, there wouldn't be a bunch of laker fans here on a Spurs fan website trying to deny that a rivalry exists.

Beau
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Not by this criteria son. I'm afraid this is NOT a rivalry. Kobe-led Laker teams have beaten the Spurs like a drum to the tune of 4 out of 5 playoff series. That's an 80% clip. TD-led Spurs teams have only beaten Kobe-led Laker teams one time (during their run of 12 consecutive 50+ win seasons) because Shaq was 429 lbs that year. :lol

Sons the stats don't lie. Kobe has beaten the Spurs in the playoffs more than the Spurs franchise has ever beaten the Lakers: 4 to 3. Kobe is responsibe for half the Lakers' playoff series wins against the Spurs.

Kobe >>>>>>>>>> TD. :toast

:rollin

Fanboyz...

hater
03-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Losing in 03 after winning 3 straight was hardly remarkable. Disappointing, sure, but this monumental earth shattering heartbreak you speak of is really a Spurstalk myth perpetuated by a bunch of fanboys clinging to that "trump card" as if it was a bigger deal than it really was.

3 straight 'ships was significant enough for me to be satisfied with that core's run.

remarkable enough to get yourself a login at spurstalk.com and 100+ shitty posts in 6 weeks

:lol

Beau
03-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Ck9nyiwaTIg

K. :tu

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
remarkable enough to get yourself a login at spurstalk.com

:lol

So you're telling me that I'm here because of 2003?

Really??

Darrin
03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Lakers and Spurs have faced each other 11 times in the playoffs in their history with the Lakers taking 8 out of the 11 meetings.

More recently, in the Phil Jackson-Kobe Bryant and Gregg Popovich-Tim Duncan era, the 2 teams have met 5 times with the Lakers taking 4 out of those 5.

Based on both the historical tally and recent history does anyone here think this constitutes a legitimate rivalry?

They won in 1999 (sweep) and 2003. How can it be 4 of 5?

The Reckoning
03-04-2011, 05:24 PM
i see mavs and spurs as more of a rivalry.

rockets are just...there. dont know how to explain it..

yeah but mavs fans HATE the spurs. everyone likes D-Rob though.

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 05:27 PM
lol at history2b's new troll. What initiated this? Was it the fact that you couldn't start threads? Or are you trying to rid yourself of that shameful and embarrassing 12 year stint on espn.com message boards?

BTW - I like the name too. It's as tawdry as the organization you worship.

Tinystarz
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
If the fans think it is than it is...I think what makes it a rivalry is the love/hate the fans have. Statistics,fuck statistics.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
lol at history2b's new troll. What initiated this? Was it the fact that you couldn't start threads? Or are you trying to rid yourself of that shameful and embarrassing 12 year stint on espn.com message boards?

BTW - I like the name too. It's as tawdry as the organization you worship.

Tipsy:

What do you think of this year's Spurs chances to win a championship?

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 05:37 PM
They won in 1999 (sweep) and 2003. How can it be 4 of 5?

Because Phil Jackson wasn't their coach in 1999.

Darrin
03-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Got it. Thank you for walking me through that.

Beau
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
LOL...

It's a rivalry. A professional one, not a blood rivalry or of the border skirmish and in-state variety, but a rivalry nonetheless. Kobe and Co. have said as much.

It'd be a much better one had Kobe been able to do better than he did without Shaq though. Spurs would likely hold a 3-2 advantage since Manu joined the team. ;)

:rollin

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Tipsy:

What do you think of this year's Spurs chances to win a championship?

Slim to no chance. They're not built for the playoffs. They tricked up their offense and will win a bunch of games, make the playoffs and keep fans excited and make money for the organization, but not win the chip.

It was a business decision to keep the core together. But you don't possess the ability to separate the game from the business so I don't expect you to grasp these concepts.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Slim to no chance. They're not built for the playoffs. They tricked up their offense and will win a bunch of games, make the playoffs and keep fans excited and make money for the organization, but not win the chip.

It was a business decision to keep the core together. But you don't possess the ability to separate the game from the business so I don't expect you to grasp these concepts.

To keep these hog wild Texan fanboys lasso'd in for a few more years no doubt.

They are not built for the playoffs sadly and this whole regular season campaign is nothing more than a "business" decision on the part of the Spurs brass to milk their cash cow out for Timmy's remaining years.

:chestbump

Beau
03-04-2011, 05:54 PM

They are not built for the playoffs sadly and this whole regular season campaign is nothing more than a "business" decision on the part of the Spurs brass to milk their cash cow out for Timmy's remaining years.

Avoid it. Move on. Whatever you do, don't address it. Don't deviate. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

LOL 2005-2007.

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 05:54 PM

So what's up the the name change? You just couldn't stand not being able to start threads? I like the fact that you're just in full throttle Kobe lover mode. And the Kobe Duncan 5-4 thing. You should start ending all your posts with tee-hee as that is apparently less gay than it sounds.

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Avoid it. Move on. Whatever you do, don't address it. Don't deviate. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

LOL 2005-2007.

Kobe get's up for the Spurs like he does for no other team. Of course it's a rivalry.

stretch
03-04-2011, 05:58 PM
they did early in the 2000s, but it died after Shaq left and the franchise went to shit for a little while.

i dont think it was quite as intense as Kings/Lakers had gotten, or even Spurs/Mavs, but it definitely was more of a respectful rivalry.

Beau
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
So what's up the the name change? You just couldn't stand not being able to start threads? I like the fact that you're just in full throttle Kobe lover mode. And the Kobe Duncan 5-4 thing. You should start ending all your posts with tee-hee as that is apparently less gay than it sounds.

You know... he and #41 are like the same, sad poster. They wanna hang with the cool kids so much, they want their time on the court... they just don't have the game. :cry

Beau
03-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Kobe get's up for the Spurs like he does for no other team. Of course it's a rivalry.

Absolutely. Even when the Spurs were beating them after Shaq left and prior to Gasol arriving, the remnants of the rivalry were still there. Kobe wanted to win those games as bad as any. The fans and even the Spurs themselves still took a little pleasure kicking them while they were down.

Of course it's a rivalry. Like I said before, it's not some kind of blood rivalry, in-state or border skirmish-type shit, but it's absolutely a professional rivalry. The Big 3, Pop, Phil, Kobe and Fisher would all tell you the that...

Giuseppe
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Kobe: 5

Duncan: 4

tee, hee.

Beau
03-04-2011, 06:10 PM

tee, hee.

Insecurity.

tee, hee.

Giuseppe
03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Just checkin' dem assholes.

Beau
03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Just checkin' dem assholes.

That's gay.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM

Paying homage to Giuseppe, one of the few great Spurstalk posters.

Stange that someone working on his what? 47th different handle takes issue with me having one new alias, no?

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Absolutely. Even when the Spurs were beating them after Shaq left and prior to Gasol arriving, the remnants of the rivalry were still there. Kobe wanted to win those games as bad as any. The fans and even the Spurs themselves still took a little pleasure kicking them while they were down.

Of course it's a rivalry. Like I said before, it's not some kind of blood rivalry, in-state or border skirmish-type shit, but it's absolutely a professional rivalry. The Big 3, Pop, Phil, Kobe and Fisher would all tell you the that...

So you agree with fellow Spurs fan Tipsy that this years Spurs are "not built for the playoffs?"

Beau
03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
So you agree with fellow Spurs fan Tipsy that this years Spurs are "not built for the playoffs?"

Do I? Did I post anything stating that?

Stick to being your history2fanboy self. I'll ask the questions.

jjktkk
03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
It the Lakers amd Spurs wern't a rivalry, would there be Laker fans on a Spurs web site? :lol

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Do I? Did I post anything stating that?

Stick to being your history2fanboy self. I'll ask the questions.

Lol @ not being able to answer a simple question. Panties bunch up much?

GoodOdor
03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
It the Lakers amd Spurs wern't a rivalry, would there be Laker fans on a Spurs web site? :lol

The same reason there are cavs/heat/suns/detroit fans here. This is a great website.

Without us, you would be the spurs version of lakers ground. Hell, just gotta go upstairs for such great takes as "blair = barkley 2.0", "I wouldent trade dick for melo", "manu>dirk", etc.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Lotta Heat and Hornets fans here too.

Must be a rivalry. Sound logic.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 06:32 PM
The same reason there are cavs/heat/suns/detroit fans here. This is a great website.

Without us, you would be the spurs version of lakers ground. Hell, just gotta go upstairs for such great takes as "blair = barkley 2.0", "I wouldent trade dick for melo", "manu>dirk", etc.

Exactly.

Other fans come here for how fun it is to rip on the most delusional fanbase in pro sports.

Beau
03-04-2011, 06:33 PM

There definitely wouldn't be usernames like "Kobe_5_Duncan_4," that's for sure.

Funny, I don't remember anyone having to point out how many more rings MJ had than an individual contemporary to make the case that he was the better player...

Beau
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Lol @ not being able to answer a simple question. Panties bunch up much?

You're just not very smart.

Spurs are one of three teams that could get out of the West, along with the Mavs and your beatpiece, Lakers.

jjktkk
03-04-2011, 06:38 PM

This.

Jt.ONE
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM

+1 / cosign / qft

ManuBalboa
03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I've never felt the Spurs fully lived up to their part in the rivalry.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Funny, I don't remember anyone having to point out how many more rings MJ had than an individual contemporary to make the case that he was the better player...

Yeah, the information superhighway seems a bit different nowadays.

More astute insight from such a bright fellow.

jjktkk
03-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Actually the Spurs/Lakers rivalry was a pretty good one back in the early 80's, before the Spurs/Mavs started heating up.

cobbler
03-04-2011, 06:48 PM

Were you even around then? Obviously not because it was brought up a lot that he tied Kareems total and surpassed Magics.

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Paying homage to Giuseppe, one of the few great Spurstalk posters.

Stange that someone working on his what? 47th different handle takes issue with me having one new alias, no?

I don't take issue with it. Like I said, I like the full throttle Kobe loving mode. It's who you have always been. Silly you've tried to hide as long as you have. Must be liberating to come out of the closet.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
You're just not very smart.

Spurs are one of three teams that could get out of the West, along with the Mavs and your beatpiece, Lakers.

Why would lifelong die hard fan like Tipsy say that your team is "not built for the playoffs" then?

What do you think he sees that you don't since you think your team has a chance to win the conference?

TheMACHINE
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I thinks its a Rivalry.

I Love it even more, since we dominate this Rivalry.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't take issue with it. Like I said, I like the full throttle Kobe loving mode. It's who you have always been. Silly you've tried to hide as long as you have. Must be liberating to come out of the closet.

I've never hid the fact that I have the highest respect for the greatest player of this generation.

So where do the Spurs thud this season in your eyes? First round? 2nd round?

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Why would lifelong die hard fan like Tipsy say that your team is "not built for the playoffs" then?

What do you think he sees that you don't since you think your team has a chance to win the conference?

I said they couldn't win the chip, not that they couldn't Win the conference.

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I've never hid the fact that I have the highest respect for the greatest player of this generation.

So where do the Spurs thud this season in your eyes? First round? 2nd round?

Depends on seeding. I could see the maverick's beating the Lakers in the semis and all bets would be off for the conference finals if its maverick / spur.

cobbler
03-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I know a lot of my friends share my opinion...

Of course it's a rivalry when you have another team in the conference sharing trips to the finals for over a decade. But it is a shared respect type of rivalry and the shit talking stems from the competition. The Celtic rivaly is pure hatred. It's passed on from generation to generation for 40+ years. There is no respect for the green pukes.

So in other words... In Lakerland it's a rivalry. Just not nearly to the same degree as the only one that matters.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Depends on seeding. I could see the maverick's beating the Lakers in the semis and all bets would be off for the conference finals if its maverick / spur.

:lmao

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 07:32 PM
:lmao

I said slim. Not like I'm going to quit watching the NBA if it doesn't happen. But depending on seedlings i could see them making the wcf which would be a successful season for Mr Holt. I know you literally love the game of basketball, but it is a business.

HarlemHeat37
03-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, it's obviously a rivalry..it's not an intense or hateful rivalry, but it's certainly competitive enough to be considered a rivalry..if 2 teams dominate a conference for a significant time span, and both teams beat other on the road to multiple titles, it's certainly a rivalry..

While the Lakers have gotten the best of the Spurs, this isn't a fabricated rivalry, where one of the teams never has the upper hand(a type of rivarly with many examples)..the Spurs beat the Lakers on the road to the '99 and 2003 titles, so it's not like they haven't had any success in this rivalry..

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I said slim. Not like I'm going to quit watching the NBA if it doesn't happen. But depending on seedlings i could see them making the wcf which would be a successful season for Mr Holt. I know you literally love the game of basketball, but it is a business.

"I may be done with the NBA for a while :cry"

TipsytheLurker
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
"I may be done with the NBA for a while :cry"

Glad you picked up on the reference. What's more amusing to me is your obsession with a game an organization and a player, all while being mentally incapable of separating the sport from the business.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Glad you picked up on the reference. What's more amusing to me is your obsession with a game an organization and a player, all while being mentally incapable of separating the sport from the business.

Yeah, that's what it is... I fail to recognize the NBA as a business. :lol

Everyone knows that stupid basketball moves leads to bad business. Not always in the immediate but certainly in the long term.

Long live Peter Holt's earnings though!:lmao

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Lol history2b

xellos88330
03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I think that it is. Solid front offices, solid teams, the fans hate each other. I think it is. One could probably argue that it is more of a rivalry for Spurs fans than for Lakers fans, just based on the history. In all truth though, I don't give a rats ass if it is or isn't. I just love it when Lakers fans get their feathers all ruffled after the Spurs beat the Lakers. When I think about it, the Spurs are the only team to have a winning record against the Lakers the past few years (regular season :P).

I think that if the Spurs top the Lakers in the playoffs this season (if they meet there), then the Lakers and their fans might acknowledge a rivalry. I mean, this is supposed to be a 3 peat year.

Beau
03-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Were you even around then? Obviously not because it was brought up a lot that he tied Kareems total and surpassed Magics.

Was Kareem considered an MJ contemporary? Was there any argument about whether Jordan was the best player of his era 14-15 years into the league?

Contemporary; Michael Jordan... look em up.

Lol history2b

That Trainwreck, he's a smart one. :tu

ezau
03-04-2011, 09:39 PM

tee, hee.

Pippen: 6

tee, tee

midnightpulp
03-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Without Lakerfans, the forum would be decidedly less homosexual. You have Luva and Kool fellating each other in every thread either of them participate in, and there's no denying history2b's intense, irrational, and borderline psychotic sexual attraction to Kobe Bryant, which is pretty pathetic considering the faggot is like 50.