PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom vanities, etc in San Antonio? Crickets?

PM5K
03-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I know I might get crickets on this one, but does anyone know of any places that sell bathroom vanities and tub enclosures other than the obvious Lowes and Home Depot?

TIA!

mrsmaalox
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Allen & Allen, 1604 around Stone Oak Parkway.

PM5K
03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for that, I was wondering who around here sold Toto toilets.

Any other recommendations?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for that, I was wondering who around here sold Toto toilets.

Any other recommendations?

try the toilet store.

texas_gator
03-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Allen & Allen, 1604 around Stone Oak Parkway.

that's a showroom, they're actual "yard" is downtown

The Reckoning
03-05-2011, 02:14 PM
try the toilet store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8YVVHjZzRE

(cant embed because im using a public computer)

ashbeeigh
03-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Check with Habitat For Humanity to, on Probandt off of S. Alamo.

CosmicCowboy
03-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Check with Habitat For Humanity to, on Probandt off of S. Alamo.

Habitat for Humanity is a good cause but their store is full of overpriced, mis-matched, fucked up shit. Been there done that multiple times. ALWAYS a disappointment.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Habitat for Humanity is a good cause but their store is full of overpriced, mis-matched, fucked up shit. Been there done that multiple times. ALWAYS a disappointment.

What place is better? My parents love going there and they're currently updating a lot of stuff at their home.

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
What place is better? My parents love going there and they're currently updating a lot of stuff at their home.

When I built the house at the Ranchito a couple of years ago I really, really tried to use HFH for stuff and checked them almost weekly. No dice. I ended up buying tons of stuff off of craigslist instead...doors, windows, plumbing fixtures, appliances, tile, etc. Saved THOUSANDS of dollars. It's amazing what people will practically give away to get it out of their garage. Heck, I got a brand new GE Profile glass top stove/oven, microwave/vent, and dishwasher for less than $500 (brand new, still had the packing/tape inside) because this guys new wife wanted stainless instead of white in the new house they bought...

ashbeeigh
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM

I think it really depends on the type of remodeling your parents are doing. I'm sure Cosmic was doing some richer remodeling and didn't want the leftovers that Habitat has. The last time I was in there they had some pretty cool lookin' tile (maybe like a year ago). It's just like any other shopping, depends on when you go. Give them a call and see if they have any of the stuff your parents are looking for.

And Craigslist is also a good option as well, I agree.

CosmicCowboy
03-06-2011, 01:49 PM
:lmao @ "richer remodeling"...

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2011, 02:49 AM
When I built the house at the Ranchito a couple of years ago I really, really tried to use HFH for stuff and checked them almost weekly. No dice. I ended up buying tons of stuff off of craigslist instead...doors, windows, plumbing fixtures, appliances, tile, etc. Saved THOUSANDS of dollars. It's amazing what people will practically give away to get it out of their garage. Heck, I got a brand new GE Profile glass top stove/oven, microwave/vent, and dishwasher for less than $500 (brand new, still had the packing/tape inside) because this guys new wife wanted stainless instead of white in the new house they bought...

Oh, I can believe that about people practically giving their stuff away. They're the ones with money to burn. But my patents aren't technologically "hip" to use craigslist. I've told my dad numerous times but he's a stubborn mule.

Kori Ellis
03-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Craigslist always has amazingly low prices on bathroom vanities/fixtures. I have seen people giving away (literally) new marble bathroom vanity tops with sinks there.

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh, I can believe that about people practically giving their stuff away. They're the ones with money to burn. But my patents aren't technologically "hip" to use craigslist. I've told my dad numerous times but he's a stubborn mule.

Well then, shouldn't his technologically hip son be finding stuff for him?..:p:

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Ha. Yeah I kinda sorta realized that as I made my post. BUT I'm over 200 miles away.

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Ha. Yeah I kinda sorta realized that as I made my post. BUT I'm over 200 miles away.

LOL, The internet is an amazing thing. It doesn't know or care how far away you are. I find stuff for my parents. I will either e-mail the link to my mom or print it and give it to my dad.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2011, 10:17 AM
LOL, The internet is an amazing thing. It doesn't know or care how far away you are. I find stuff for my parents. I will either e-mail the link to my mom or print it and give it to my dad.

Nooooo. They'd want me to be there for the actual transaction and see it all the way through.

easjer
03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I feel like an idiot for not even thinking about Craigslist for bathroom stuff. Making notes for when we redo (likely in the fall).

PM5K
03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
I actually got a really nice pedestal sink from CL on the cheap, 50 bucks as I recall, and even though the stores do sell fifty dollar pedestals, they are very low quality, with small bowls, etc.

The thing is, if you're going to redo something in the fall, start browsing for what you want now. You'll spend less money, but spend more time searching Craigslist, so it's a bit of a tradeoff, but again you'll probably wind up saving a lot of money if you can find what you want.

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I actually got a really nice pedestal sink from CL on the cheap, 50 bucks as I recall, and even though the stores do sell fifty dollar pedestals, they are very low quality, with small bowls, etc.

The thing is, if you're going to redo something in the fall, start browsing for what you want now. You'll spend less money, but spend more time searching Craigslist, so it's a bit of a tradeoff, but again you'll probably wind up saving a lot of money if you can find what you want.

Yeah, I bought a brand new one piece Kohler designer toilet (list $1300) for $100. Had a tiny chip in the porcelain right at the floor/grout level and I just glued the chip back before grouting it. Can't even see it.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Oh yeah I forgot we got the toilet from there too, duh. It makes a point though that with the sink we couldn't quickly find something in bone, so since it was temporary we just went with white. So if you're going to be looking for something like that, less common colors, you want to start early.

The toilet is an American Standard that Home Depot sells for over 400.00. We bought it for 150 as I recall. Only thing was it didn't have the gasket between the bowl and the tank. I didn't even realize it until I got it all hooked up and flushed it, and water went everywhere, lol.

No problem, went to Lowe's and picked up a new one for like five bucks, a half hour later I was good to go.

PM5K
03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
In this regard though, CL isn't as useful for finding tub surrounds, or bathroom vanities in the size I'm looking for, hence the thread.

mrsmaalox
03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I've seen some really nice things for sale on Craigslist for super cheap but I've only ever bought one thing----I'm wary of being a woman alone meeting up with a stranger. But so many men I know get some incredible deals that way.

I've been to HFH on Probandt once, but it was pretty junky. I prefer the one on Walzem. As was pointed out earlier, it's all mismatched but if you need just one of something there's a decent selection. I've done okay there picking up light fixtures, an oven hood, even a pantry door for my rental property.

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
What are you calling a tub surround and whats your budget for that item?

PM5K
03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
What am I calling it?

PM5K
03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
MrsMaalox you gotta just figure out ways to make it safe for you. Go with a friend, meet in public, etc.

From Craigslist over the years I've bought so many things it's not even funny.

Laminate Flooring
Window Unit A/C
Toilet
Pedestal Sink
At Least Three Laptops
Dining Room Table
Sony LCD HDTV
Weight Bench
Treadmill
A Few iPhones
Couple iPads
Xbox 360
Bunk Beds

And much more. Some stuff for me, some for close relatives, all great deals.

I rarely buy anything brand new anymore.