PDA

View Full Version : Perkins, Brewer, now Powe. Also - guess the third coach.

GSH
03-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Memphis announced that they have signed Leon Powe. I know that Powe hasn't been the same since his injury, but I don't think he's done. And he is one more strong body they can pack into the paint.

It's clear that the Grizzlies want to get as big and strong in the middle as possible. Some commentators said that they want to counter the Lakers' big men, but I think it is directed at the Spurs. Teams with young athletic big men are about the only ones to have any success against the Spurs this season. So much so that I have started thinking that the only things that will keep the Spurs from winning another title are offensive rebounds and second chance points.

The Perkins and Brewer signings could make things tougher for the Spurs in the playoffs. (Even if Brewer is "only" 6'9" and a SF.) But with the way Memphis played the Spurs the last two times, I hate to see them get any bigger or stronger in the paint. Leon Powe does that for them, even if he isn't the same player he was two seasons ago.

--------

I also saw an interesting tweet from Mark Cuban: "There are only 2 coaches in the nba who can ignore analytics, there used to be 3. No one else can ignore it."

So do you think one of the two he is referring to is Pop? I assumed it was supposed to be some kind of a backhanded swipe at him. And the third one is almost certainly Jerry Sloan. So who do you think the other active coach is?

Mel_13
03-05-2011, 02:17 AM
I also saw an interesting tweet from Mark Cuban: "There are only 2 coaches in the nba who can ignore analytics, there used to be 3. No one else can ignore it."

So do you think one of the two he is referring to is Pop? I assumed it was supposed to be some kind of a backhanded swipe at him. And the third one is almost certainly Jerry Sloan. So who do you think the other active coach is?

Obviously, it's Phil.

manustarting2gd
03-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Phil and Pop.. Its all about the chemistry baby... Maybe not a backhanded swipe at any of the 3 but perhaps one at Ol Brenda Carlise his own coach. ?

DMX7
03-05-2011, 02:26 AM
2 coaches