PDA

View Full Version : Bring on LAL! Preview from ESPN-LA Beat

Rummpd
03-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Now that the pathetic Heat have left town bring on the surging LAL!

Sunday at San Antonio, 12:30 p.m. PT (ABC) (3:30 Easter)
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/16556/lakers-week-in-preview-feb-28-march-6

Unless they decide to forfeit the remaining games on their schedule, nobody is catching San Antonio for the top spot on the Western Conference playoff ladder. It's a reality the Lakers are speaking about more openly as they hit the stretch run. So Sunday's game doesn't matter when it comes to seeding (as pertaining to San Antonio), but could very well be a preview of the Western Conference Finals.

Because the Lakers and Spurs are veteran led and playoff tested, they're likely the pair of squads to whom home court is least significant among W.C. playoff contenders. Nor will either team read too much into the results of regular season matchups, so as it relates to looking ahead, it's almost a game better viewed without looking at the score. If the Lakers play a game similar in quality to their last-second loss on Feb. 3, cause for alarm will be limited, even in a loss. Should they get blown out, as it was the first time L.A. visited San Antonio this year, feel free to chew a few fingernails.

A good game whets the appetite for later this spring, when the teams could meet again. In the meantime, like every game they'll play from now until the end of the regular season, it's one the Lakers need to win as they jostle for position with Dallas, Boston, Miami and Chicago behind the Spurs. For that to happen, L.A. needs to find ways to score. In both meetings thus far, the Lakers were held below season averages for offensive efficiency. One big reason is San Antonio's work against Kobe Bryant, who has missed all but 13 of his 45 shots over two games this year against the Spurs.

Obviously if Kobe is more effective Sunday -- it's unlikely he'll be worse -- the Lakers stand a much better chance of winning.

Time to send the LAL to their 3rd consecutive loss to the Spurs: Spurs 105 Lakers 97

Splits
03-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Spurs > Cavs > Lakers

spursbird
03-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Go Spurs Go! Keep the winning pace in home court.

silverblk mystix
03-05-2011, 06:53 AM
It will be the Spurs FOURTH consecutive beat-down of the lakers dating back to last season...

G-Dawgg
03-05-2011, 06:59 AM
The taste of defeat by McDyess's tip in is still fresh on the laker's lips, and I'm sure they take the loss very personally...I'd imagine the Lakers are going to be bringing their 'A' game and alot of intensity. The Spurs are going to have to be sharp...

Venti Quattro
03-05-2011, 07:13 AM
I don't want this to be a revenge game or statement game for LA. What I want them to focus on is to achieve in this game a sustained momentum stemming from the 6-game streak, and for them to play well and show good signs even in a losing effort.

Yeah they could win but if they blow a 20 point lead while doing it, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Rummpd
03-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't want this to be a revenge game or statement game for LA. What I want them to focus on is to achieve in this game a sustained momentum stemming from the 6-game streak, and for them to play well and show good signs even in a losing effort.

Yeah they could win but if they blow a 20 point lead while doing it, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

From looking at LAL's schedule:

San Antonio: 0-2
Boston: 1-1
Dallas: 0-1
Chicago: 1-1
Miami: 0-1
Orlando: 0-1
Oklahoma City: 2-0

Seriously, 4-7 vs. these teams, LAL is not in need of a statement game?

Venti Quattro
03-05-2011, 10:01 AM
They've already won that statement game in Boston against the East Champs and their arch-nemesis last year.

I can't downplay how big it is for them to win this game but this is for them is to build momentum to the playoffs. This game will set the tone for this killer 4-game road trip.

spurspokesman
03-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I say more of the same. Blitz them with speed and get them on the move. They are horrible under said strategies. Not only against us but against many other teams that have youth and speed.

wildbill2u
03-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Pop's redesign of the offense to take advantage of our speed in transition is a great analysis of our players' strengths--and possibly of LAL weaknesses.

I hesitate to say that Pop retooled the offense simply to beat LA, but doesn't it look that way to you as well. I don't believe it is a coincidence.

slayermin
03-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Yeah, right. You better hope the Spurs don't get up by 20.

Venti Quattro
03-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Why are you taking a hypothetical so seriously. I just illustrated an extreme case.